As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroics and You] A Practical Guide

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
QUESTION 1:

Are you a superhero?

If you answered "yes" to the above question, go be in a movie! If you answered "no", just watch these movies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Thor: the Dark Woold (out now!)

Captain America: The Winds of Winter - coming sooon!

Guardians of Galactus - coming sooon!

Avengers: Age of Voltron

These are just a few of the superhero movies you can enjoy in the movie theater at some point in the future!

On DVD and bluray you can watch such hits as:

Iron Men 1 2 and 3
The Incredible Hunk
Captain America: The Frist Avenger
Thor
The Frist Avengers movie (not Captain America)

And DC made some stuff too.

Ceno on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    ....I would watch Age of Voltron.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I watch that Winter Soldier trailer every time I see it linked.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    you know, I'm really excited to see the Captain America exhibit in the Smithsonian. like, black and white lifesize cutouts or Erskine and Stark and shit

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    you know, I'm really excited to see the Captain America exhibit in the Smithsonian

Do you mean in the movie or are they putting an actual exhibit in the actual Smithsonian

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i would just like to mention that i am super happy with warren ellis on moon knight, especially with the dropping of the D.I.D. angle, and am excited to see him back in NYC. I would love to see him show up in the MCU in a second wave of Netflix shows, after the initial launch.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    you know, I'm really excited to see the Captain America exhibit in the Smithsonian

Do you mean in the movie or are they putting an actual exhibit in the actual Smithsonian

the movie, I doubt the Smithsonian is going to put a Cap exhibit in. and even if they did, I ain't travelling that way in a while to find out

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    so, Chris Sims wrote an extremely lengthy and very interesting look at "The Problem" when it comes to DC and Marvel
    http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/
    namely, that DC wants to be like Marvel and has for literally years
    it's a really good read that I whole-heartedly recommend, but what's interesting is the conversation that's sparked from it
    Gail Simone is disagreeing heavily with it, it seems, while Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid are backing up Sims' claims and adding details and anecdotes for support

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So I just watched the latest episode of Arrow.
    God dammit. I was just thinking about how much I enjoyed Count Vertigo as a recurring villain when Ollie straight up kills him.

And then, as if the show knew I was bummed out about the loss of a fun villain, they bring back B(ad)arrowman.

I really do hope they bring the Count back at some point though. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy watching that actor devour scenery.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I watched Captain America for the first time this week.

It's a very enjoyable movie!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I figured out what bothered me about last episode of shield
    they're looking at the staff and can't figure out what the markings mean but they know they're asgardian and skye says "hey why don't we call thor"

and coulson responds that shield can't find him

what do you mean you can't find him

you're shield! you're supposed to be everywhere all the time!

and he's at the most obvious place he could be, at jane foster's house

that's the only time I really felt the budget constraints but more importantly it made shield look weaker

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    they're looking at the staff and can't figure out what the markings mean but they know they're asgardian and skye says "hey why don't we call thor"

that's the only time I really felt the budget constraints but more importantly it made shield look weaker

I was thinking
    it was in the inbetween period where Jane waited a couple of days, when Thor was in Asgard

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    everyone should go to kickstarter and back the Compiler Comic Binder so I finally have a good way to organize all my single issues

• Options

Or it was during the two-day gap when Thor was still on Asgard before he came back to see Jane.

SHIELD not being able to get a message to an alien planet only accessible through wormhole doesn't really make them seem weak to me.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

What others have said, but also
    I think per Fury SHIELD "officially" doesn't know where any of them are. Like, they're making a point not to explicitly keep tabs on any of them, as far as all official information and sources go. Obviously they know where Stark is, but otherwise the ending of Avengers seemed to indicate that SHIELD is trying to make it seem like they can't track them down on a whim, in order to prevent the oversight people/group from trying to run them like an asset.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I think per Fury SHIELD "officially" doesn't know where any of them are. Like, they're making a point not to explicitly keep tabs on any of them, as far as all official information and sources go. Obviously they know where Stark is, but otherwise the ending of Avengers seemed to indicate that SHIELD is trying to make it seem like they can't track them down on a whim, in order to prevent the oversight people/group from trying to run them like an asset.
    Really?

I have always got the feeling that if SHIELD could control them all, they would.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

Really?

I have always got the feeling that if SHIELD could control them all, they would.
    Fury and SHIELD are separate entities.

Fury specifically goes out of his way to make sure the Avengers are left pretty untouched, and since he is being attacked by Winter Soldier, who is definitely working for Robert Redford, he probably keeps his track record of being kind of an asshole but one that believes in the Avengers,

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    No wait @Antimatter

Man of Steel: Knightcall feat. Lovebattt

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Really?

Fury specifically goes out of his way to make sure the Avengers are left pretty untouched, and since he is being attacked by Winter Soldier, who is definitely working for Robert Redford, he probably keeps his track record of being kind of an asshole but one that believes in the Avengers,
    Well

Fury and SHIELD are not seperate entities given that Fury is the Director

But it might be argued that Fury directs SHIELD in ways that is not always parallel to their general view of things

• Options

Really?

Well

But it might be argued that Fury directs SHIELD in ways that is not always parallel to their general view of things
    Fury answers to the council and also it seems like Director in the MCU isn't the highest rank, since Redford seems to be above him.

But yes I get what you're saying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    so, Chris Sims wrote an extremely lengthy and very interesting look at "The Problem" when it comes to DC and Marvel
    http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/
    it's a really good read that I whole-heartedly recommend, but what's interesting is the conversation that's sparked from it
    Gail Simone is disagreeing heavily with it, it seems, while Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid are backing up Sims' claims and adding details and anecdotes for support

When DC rebooted their universe with the New 52, they also somehow managed to reboot actual people as well. They managed to somehow turn Gail Simone into a corporate stooge (some of the justifications she gave for getting rid of Oracle were downright painful to read) and lower her writing talent to boot. Now she's saying Marvel doesn't innovate and implying they're a company full of rip-off characters.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    In the MCU it would appear that Fury runs SHIELD but does not control it.

Like, he's not the top dog, but he's responsible largely for the day-to-day runnings of the organization.

And he likely serves as the pleasure of the council. Meaning it's very likely he'll get fired at some point in the story.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

from what I'm reading of the conversation, Simone's gone off on a strange tangent about how she doesn't like when Marvel creates characters that are homages to DC characters and also how when she was at Marvel they had three different books ripping off Buffy(???)

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Is it bad I was hoping you'd go with "The Fist Avenger"?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Really?

Well

Fury often considers himself separate from SHIELD in that he funnels money away from the organization to build his own safehouses and maintains his own intelligence network separate from SHIELD's.

• Options
    so uh

remember that enormous post I made the other day w/r/t the IDW comics

I kinda put that on tumblr for shits and giggles, partly so that folk could get into the two ongoings and read good comics

well
    the typical colorist of mtmte, josh burcham, liked that post
    that's a thing

• Options
    I think that article has a lot of truth in it

You can essentially wring it down to a single statement

Marvel is comfortable in it's own skin. It knows what it is and it's entirely okay with that.

DC is not comfortable in it's own skin. It knows what it was, but it wants to be something it's not.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    did robert redford's role exist before the avengers?

I was under the impression they needed a higher position because shield was expanding and didn't put fury in the seat because he has openly defied the council before

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    We don't know yet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Cap 2 looks like it could be my favourite solo superhero movie

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    yeah I think if Cap 2 lives up to what we have seen so far it will be pretty amazing

• Options
    New costumes aside:
    1385153817.jpg
    1385153806.jpg

Fantastic Four is gonna be a pretty good looking book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Redford's character seems likely to be a stand in for

spoilery speculation based on brubaker's run
    Alexander Lukin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Redford's character seems likely to be a stand in for

spoilery speculation based on brubaker's run
    Alexander Lukin

Yeah, I've been thinking the same
    I'd freakin love it if Redford turned out to be Red Skull

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finally had time to go pick up Volume 5 of Transformers MTMTE.

I want Alex Milne and James Roberts to continue drawing/writing this book forever. The only bad part was issue 22's art. It just doesn't mix with the feel of the book; too cold and mechanical, as opposed to the cartoony, yet natural, look of the rest of the book. In other words, I hope Milne returns for the next volume ALL the volumes.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Heatwave wrote: »

I want Alex Milne and James Roberts to continue drawing/writing this book forever. The only bad part was issue 22's art. It just doesn't mix with the feel of the book; too cold and mechanical, as opposed to the cartoony, yet natural, look of the rest of the book. In other words, I hope Milne returns for the next volume ALL the volumes.

well
    the artist for 22, James Raiz, is continuing with the Lost Light stuff for Dark Cybertron in both Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye
    but other artists are contributing to Dark Cybertron, including Atilio Rojo, Phil Jimenez, Andrew Griffith, Brendan Cahill, Livio Ramondelli, Nick Roche, and Robert Gill
    and Milne will be back for Season Two of MTMTE, after Dark Cybertron finishes

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

well
    the artist for 22, James Raiz, is continuing with the Lost Light stuff for Dark Cybertron in both Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye
    but other artists are contributing to Dark Cybertron, including Atilio Rojo, Phil Jimenez, Andrew Griffith, Brendan Cahill, Livio Ramondelli, Nick Roche, and Robert Gill
    and Milne will be back for Season Two of MTMTE, after Dark Cybertron finishes
    I guess I'll be waiting even longer for my cartoony Transformer fix :/

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    No wait Antimatter

Man of Steel: Knightcall feat. Lovebattt

I feel like it should be "feat. Most Excellent Superbat"

But maybe that's just cuz I want to see the Super Young Team in way more things.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.