As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East Asia] - Shinzo Abe shot, killed

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Ebola is too virulent for its own good, any infection is likely to burn itself out before spreading

If proper quarantine procedure is followed, anyway...

Well all the prior outbreaks were so deep in the country side that people pretty much never got to a major town before the disease kicked in and killed them off. The fact it is flaring in major cities is really chilling because these are cities with international airports and it has up to a 21 day incubation period so yes it could potentially spread quite a bit.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    kaid wrote: »

Well all the prior outbreaks were so deep in the country side that people pretty much never got to a major town before the disease kicked in and killed them off. The fact it is flaring in major cities is really chilling because these are cities with international airports and it has up to a 21 day incubation period so yes it could potentially spread quite a bit.
    And then when someone falls sick the CDC and the WHO quarantine every person they've been in contact with and review security footage etc. They're very good at epidemiology, and keeping Ebola contained in those countries is priority number one for them.

India's mad because we had the stones to arrest their diplomat for lying on the green card application and for paying her housekeeper three dollars and hour; they're about as corrupt as Italy but bigger. We also didn't like Prime Minister Modi- he helped out with an ethnic cleansing against Muslims back in 2002 and we barred him from entering the U.S. (the UK and the EU also prohibited him from entering their states)

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ebola is too virulent for its own good, any infection is likely to burn itself out before spreading

The only reason it's flaring up in some major cities in Africa is the lack of hygienic culture that you generally find in more developed countries. If either of the Americans here now die of ebola their families aren't going to be storming the hospital to try and get the bodies. Respect for proper medical practice and the safety it creates generally supersedes most other religious and cultural concerns.

To tie it back to China the same is generally true there. By the time a person is especially contagious they aren't going to be trying to keep going to work. And given the case would almost definitely be in a major city they would soon find themselves in a quarantine same as any other developed country with wide support from the populous. The worse I would expect from China is a few dozen cases from family and staff not initially realizing that you do not touch under any circumstance.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I can respect Japan and Korea's usage of flu masks. Americans need to swallow their pride and wear one if they're contagious in public.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I can respect Japan and Korea's usage of flu masks. Americans need to swallow their pride and wear one if they're contagious in public.

The masks in Japan are not just worn by the sick but by pretty much everyone.

It is a fashion thing almost in the winter.

Also god I hate wearing them. I wore them when I had a cold and had to go to work there.

Seriously things get uncomfortable.

Most of the time though you will contract the bug through touching things and then touching your face more than just breathing it in. Basically doing cold and flu season those door handles are truly your greatest enemy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

The only reason it's flaring up in some major cities in Africa is the lack of hygienic culture that you generally find in more developed countries. If either of the Americans here now die of ebola their families aren't going to be storming the hospital to try and get the bodies. Respect for proper medical practice and the safety it creates generally supersedes most other religious and cultural concerns.

More than just that, but there's actually strong governmental force that can keep things from happening even if people did try. If Ebola spread to some sect that didn't believe in medicine and just did laying of hands and praying, well, they can all be forcibly quarantined. You can call in police and drag off that idiot who tries to break into the hospital to bust out their infected relatives. You can get security to protect doctors and nurses to keep people from attacking them. Absolute worst case scenario you can call in troops and shoot people. There is none of this in west Africa. What few police there are either are way too widely stretched thin, undertrained and undersupported to do much of anything, or are thugs who just go around shaking down bribes. The armies are pretty much the same.

Like that woman with Ebola who was abducted from quarantine in a hospital by her family. That wouldn't have been possible in any halfway excuse of a developed country. The family wouldn't have made it past security, and even if they somehow did they wouldn't have made it back out. Instead, all those people, since they were in prolonged physical contact with someone who was absolutely infected, are most certainly infected themselves. They may have killed her (she turned herself back in but then died soon after) and they most certainly killed themselves, as I doubt people who break someone with a deadly infectious disease from a hospital will be going to get medical treatment themselves. The horrible thing is that best we can hope for is that they die alone and don't spread it any further, but if they have a funeral that means another major outbreak just from them.

• Options
    US Getting Involved in the South China Sea

Not 100% what this is talking about. But we are making noises now and ASEAN is backing us in part. Kind of a big step.

We have made grumbles for the Philippines already but this is a bit stronger noises.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    China pissed in everyone's cereal, US gets to gain a bunch of good will in the region and look strong by pissing in China's cereal.

Seem's pretty straight forward to me, unless you have some insights on the siutation that I do not and wish to share them.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The masks in Japan are not just worn by the sick but by pretty much everyone.

It is a fashion thing almost in the winter.

Also god I hate wearing them. I wore them when I had a cold and had to go to work there.

Seriously things get uncomfortable.

Most of the time though you will contract the bug through touching things and then touching your face more than just breathing it in. Basically doing cold and flu season those door handles are truly your greatest enemy.

Also, masks that actually are useful for resp illness rather than something cheaper like useful versus paint dust are not cheap.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Shinzo Abe: Where da waifus at?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Not subscribed so I can't read it, but unless Abe is planning to face down the serious and deep gender inequality issues Japan has, this will go just like every other half-assed measure to increase the birthrate so far: nowhere.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Not subscribed so I can't read it, but unless Abe is planning to face down the serious and deep gender inequality issues Japan has, this will go just like every other half-assed measure to increase the birthrate so far: nowhere.

"You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in an anime!"

The pope is in South Korea now.: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/13/world/asia/pope-south-korea-visit/

North Korea: Sure, Pope Francis, you can come to North Korea. You just have to admit that you are a false prophet and that God is a superstition.

Cantido on
  • Options
    China keeps going giving me the god damn it China moments all week.

And this is just the latest one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-22/chinese-jet-barrel-rolls-over-u-s-plane-bringing-protest.html

But then we also had this one.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/where-have-all-the-elephants-gone/

Though I will say this is interesting. The anti-monopoly stuff is more mixed on targets than it has been seen in a lot of the western press. But I would say I don't trust them and I feel there are some really shady deals going on with the unit. It is China.

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21613348-chinas-antitrust-crackdown-turns-ugly-foreign-carmakers-forefront-unequal

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    China: Too sketchy to deal with, too big to ignore.

488W936.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Eh, they don't have all those loopholes, but a more than 5% cut in corporate tax is a little ridiculous. Probably should have gone to 30-32% or so.

• Options
    This would also make a great Seth Rogan movie: Red Heist.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/29/us-northkora-asylum-idUSKBN0GT0P720140829

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Though I will say this is interesting. The anti-monopoly stuff is more mixed on targets than it has been seen in a lot of the western press. But I would say I don't trust them and I feel there are some really shady deals going on with the unit. It is China.

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21613348-chinas-antitrust-crackdown-turns-ugly-foreign-carmakers-forefront-unequal

Didn't want that foreign invetment anyway

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Chinese government. Still a bag of dicks.

• Options
    Definitely curious to see how well China's 50 year plan works out here.

• Options
    So in the continued follies of Beijing this week was the quashing of the any chance of Hong Kong selecting its next leaders. What is interesting will be Hong Kong's response and then Beijing's counter response. More and more there are fears it will lead to a violent crackdown if Occupy Central is able to shutdown the financial district. Also where will Hong Kong's middle class stand in the end? The New Yorker has a nice article covering some of the basics. I see the fate of Hong Kong is something Taiwan will watch closely as well as Tibet and Xinjiang Uighurs. I feel the violence in the north might actually be influencing Beijing's actions in the south.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/hong-kong-election-crisis

Speaking the Uighurs this was from [chat] but should be here too. Beijing, trying to breed them out!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world/asia/to-temper-unrest-china-pushes-interethnic-marriage-between-han-and-minorities.html?_r=0

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    If china's not careful this will blow up in their faces people usually don't like having their freedoms taken away.

I found this article to be interesting http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-29016776.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Japan is getting into the diesel sub export game with their new Soryu-class.

...wait. Soryu-class?

Dammit, Japan - of all your former capital ship names, you had to pick that one?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    What's wrong with Soryu, it performed fine up until its sinking in Midway.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Asuka Langly Soryu

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    So, Japan is getting into the diesel sub export game with their new Soryu-class.

...wait. Soryu-class?

Dammit, Japan - of all your former capital ship names, you had to pick that one?

Ehh, its an aircraft carrier.

It served well for the country it was in. I don't see it being any worse any of Japan's numerous carriers during WWII.

I mean they aren't throwing out all their ship names just because they were used in WWII.

That is silly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It's nice to see that one of you got the point.

Japan: Even Our Military Exports Are Weaboo.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Asuka Langly Soryu

Yeah, and Ayanami is named after a battleship too.

• Options

I would have gone for Shoryuken class.

• Options
    Blue Dragon is a pretty great name.

I probably wouldn't care if it was also the name of some character in a terrible cartoon.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    We have a carrier named Enterprise.

We don't get to bitch about pop culturey names.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I am still waiting for the USS Millennium Falcon.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

A better example is the original prototype space shuttle, named Enterprise. The USS Enterprise aircraft carriers predate Star Trek.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

A better example is the original prototype space shuttle, named Enterprise. The USS Enterprise aircraft carriers predate Star Trek.

I'm still hoping someone's navy decides to take inspiration from Culture Ship Names and name one of their warships the XSS Frank Exchange of Views or the XMS Well if I was in the Neighbourhood

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Rchanen wrote: »

I would have gone for Shoryuken class.

Macross class?
    Tengen Toppa class?
    Super Excellent Hentai Rape Explosion Class?

This reminds me: I'm in Korea, so last Halloween I got a Gypsy Danger bomber jacket made on the cheap. Before I leave I'm either going to get a jacket with the Wheel of Time or House Stark logo on it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure the japanese ship names predate anime

Not entirely sure, of course, but you know. Willing to bet a bit on final jeopardy here

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm surprised noone here is talking about Alibaba's upcoming IPO. I've never used the service myself but I was impressed by the recent Planet Money podcast episode, detailing how you can buy almost anything on the site.

Its gonna be interesting to see how these Chinese firms develop overseas, away from their protected markets in China. FYI, Alibaba's Chinese competitor, Tencent, has control/stake in key companies in the gaming industry like Riot Games, Epic Games and, most recently in 2013, Activision-Blizzard for 25% stake in the company

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Oh, it goes back a lot further than that.
    Even further if you add the HMS Enterprise.

This discussion has been closed.