Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - Take a look at the first non-Valve Steambox prototype

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

imageThe PA Report - Take a look at the first non-Valve Steambox prototype

This is a neat piece of equipment, but there's so much we don't know. The Steambox is just a PC that runs Steam's proprietary OS, which lacks most non-gaming features, so you almost have to think of it more like a console than a PC. Because, anything else means that you already have a Steambox in your home.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Why is it white?

steam_sig.png
  • BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    We need an obnoxious glowing red bar to know it's on. Classy styling.........

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
  • BrohameBrohame Registered User regular
    I think the timing on this is off. The window to get these out to the public was right before PS4 and Xbone released, so people interested in something new would try them out. Now the next gen is here, people have the games they want in any form they want, so the appeal of the Steam Box isn't what it could be. Of course, I still don't see what the Steam Box will give me that my PC doesn't already deliver, aside from that spiffy controller. So maybe I'm missing something that will be more apparent when the thing releases.

• BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    @BROHAME I think this whole thing is catered towards people who are primarily PC gamers and who already own a lot of steam games. Deep down I don't feel Valve is trying to 1up console manufacturers like Sony or Microsoft but rather sop up a market of non console gamers. Granted it might not be as large of a market but it is out there. I highly doubt anyone with a PS4 or Xbone would have chose a Steam Box over them.

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
    Yes, and it seems like Steam box is also created to promote Linux-based systems as alternative for Windows.

steam_sig.png
  • wonboodoowonboodoo Registered User regular
    I've seen on other sites (Verge) that it's $499.

@wonboodoo
    Well, it doesn't mean much until we got solid specs and solid price tied to them.

steam_sig.png
  • GunganGungan Registered User regular
    I think until the gaming community gets their hands on SteamOS and actually mods it to be a useful replacement for Windows 8, this Steam box thing will go nowhere.

• pjargonpjargon Registered User new member
    Steamboxes at a similar pricepoint, outperforming consoles already.. In 2-3 years the disparity may be too large to ignore. All I wanted was 1080p and the new consoles can't deliver =/

• erickratameroerickratamero Registered User regular
    A box running my Steam games at 1080p/60fps for 500 bucks? I'm sold.

I have absolutely no idea whether Valve plans on gaining ground from Sony/Microsoft with this. What I know is that this fits very well with my future plans: I was in doubt between buying a gaming desktop, a gaming-capable laptop or a console. Now I'll just get a Steam Box and, whenever my current laptop fails on me, I can choose a new one without worrying about gaming capability.

• wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    @REDTHIRST So that it will match with GLaDOS.

And it seems like Valve will allow owners to upgrade Steambox whenever they want, which can prove itself when next-gen consoles can't be compared to PC in terms of perfomance while Steambox can be upgraded.

steam_sig.png
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote:
    And it seems like Valve will allow owners to upgrade Steambox whenever they want, which can prove itself when next-gen consoles can't be compared to PC in terms of perfomance while Steambox can be upgraded.

But the reason game devs managed to squeeze so much out of the 360 and PS3 was because they were a single set of technical specs and parts (per console). What worries me about the Steambox is optimizing for just the SteamOS and not the hardware itself going to be enough to give you enough umph to make a Steambox worthwhile.

If games only run well on some of the SteamBoxes, what's the point?
    pjargon wrote:
    All I wanted was 1080p and the new consoles can't deliver

It's early days. I have a feeling come summer, there will be plenty of titles out there that will be easily clicking in 1080p. The first few games of every generation suck graphic wise.

Just look at games like GTA 5, the Last of Us, Bioshock, even the new Tomb Raider, sure a top notch PC would run them better, but they were running on 10 year old hardware with 1/2 gig of RAM.

@ERIKRATAMERO

I would probably wait to see if any publishers actually start porting games to SteamOS before you jump the gun there. If the adoption rate isn't good, you're still going to need an up-to-date Windows based PC to play most of your games.

• 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Labyrinths are awesome!Registered User regular
    I find it hard to care without knowing its specs xD

XBL: R3clipse
    Steam: BIRD BIRD KILL IT
    Battle.net: Eclipse#1200
  • Paul_czPaul_cz Registered User regular
    The light can be customized or disabled. The specs contain Radeon 270, which means it is pretty damn fine. Plus completely open and upgradeable, you can install windows on it if you want.

Fantastic, and this is just a first of many. PC gaming is going to rock the living rooms soon. I know it already does for me.

edited November 2013
    I'm not sure a $499 box is possible without using AMD parts. I haven't checked prices/benchmarks for gaming gear in a while though.

Gungan on
  • ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does the steam logo on that thing kinda look like a penis?

• rastergrafxrastergrafx Registered User new member
    "Proprietary OS?"
    Um... No?

• PLNPLN Registered User new member
    Ars Technica suggested it would also come with a 500Gb hard drive and an AMD CPU to keep costs low.

• DrLoonDrLoon Registered User regular
    @NINNANUAM
    Yep, it does look like one.

• wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    @GUNGAN If you have a steam box you don't need an up to date Windows PC. You HAVE an up to date Windows PC, all you have to do is add Windows.

@WORMSPEAKER

I don't know about that. Wouldn't mind seeing a dual boot setup tested though. The entire point was to be able to stream Windows games to the Steam box, which is how most people will be expecting to use it.

• deteugmadeteugma Registered User regular
    "Because, anything else means that you already have a Steambox in your home." This is embarrassing. You make your living as a writer, yet you punctuate like a high-school dropout.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    If iBuyPower makes their Steam Machines anything like they made the two PCs I bought from them in the past, no thanks.

• RickyChavezRickyChavez Registered User new member
    Hi guys! I think I won one of the steam boxes. I'm a youtuber and I'll be making videos of this sexy steambox. Here's my stuff so you can monitor for more steam box info.