As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"At least you don't have a kid" ...Awkward...

Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Yeah, so I've started seeing this girl, and she knows I was married, and divorced. But I never brought up my estranged son(as in, I've never seen him, by both my wife and my choice), so today she's talking to a friend with me there, and the topic gets on to marriage, and she says: "At least you don't have a kid". I didn't confirm or deny anything, but later on she was talking about "Just always be honest with me." Now we've only hung out, and our first REAL date isn't until Friday(woo for ice skating). I know I have to tell her about bastard child eventually, but what's the proper etiquette here?

Spectral Swallow on

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I say bring it up the next time you two are alone. Just say you didn't want to get into it when you were hanging out with her friend. If your son really isn't part of your life, I don't see how it will be a big issue.

Bama on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Honesty = Best Policy.

Wait for a time during the next date that just feels right. Lay it out, tell the truth, be honest about why you didn't say anything earlier (tell her you're at least a bit interested).

Honesty is important, and it seems to be moreso with her. Go with it.

EDIT for clairty: I mean interested in her, and that you didn't want to blow it so early. You don't have to say I love you, just "Hey you're cool, I didn't want to scare you." Or something along those lines.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bama wrote: »
    I say bring it up the next time you two are alone. Just say you didn't want to get into it when you were hanging out with her friend. If your son really isn't part of your life, I don't see how it will be a big issue.

Whether or not it's a big issue is largely dependent upon whether or not she sees it as a big issue.

And honestly, I don't think intimate details of your life need to be revealed early on in a relationship. That's not to say you shouldn't, but rather that there's no obligation.

If you chose to wait, chances are she isn't going to remember the time she off-handedly mentioned the word "kid" and then call you a liar by omission. And if she did, she's crazy.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah it sounds like she is more glad that you don't have to RAISE a kid, rather than glad that you have never created one.. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well yea. I guess I should have said "I don't see how it could be a big issue to her." I mean, it's not like it's going to have a practical effect on the relationship. I suppose it reflects something about his character that she could find undesirable (note: I don't think this), but it's best to go ahead and address it since it has already been brought up.

Bama on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    She is going to find out eventually. I'd tell her just to get it out of the way. It's only going to get weirder with time.

Doc on
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do make sure to bring it out at an appropriate moment, but don't waste any more time than you have to. Doc is right, the more time that passes, the more disorienting your revelation will be for her.

I think she probably will remember the 'kid' comment from earlier, and I think it's best if you bring it up yourself. Just be honest: the fact that a third person was present is a perfectly reasonable excuse for you not telling her right then and there.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also, I'm sure there's a good reason you aren't involved in your son's life, but you may want to make sure that thats obvious when you tell her. You don't want her thinking you just go around knocking up different girls and leaving them or something shady like that.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, you asked about the etiquette when telling her. I think, since you're going ice skating, you should wait until later in the date when you're maybe sipping hot chocolate or something - somewhere you can have a somewhat private and relaxed conversation. Then, preface it by saying that you need to talk to her about something serious or something to that effect. That way she knows that you take the subject seriously and that you wanted to make a point of talking to her about it. Once you get into you should say most of the things other people have mentioned about not getting into in front of her friend, about the situation (you're not a dead beat dad - it was a mutual decision). You should also talk to her about your plans for the future regarding your son and your attitude towards children in general. These are things that she's going to wonder about, so if you anticipate her questions up front, it will make it easier.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Telling her you have a kid could be bonus. A lot of girls like single Fathers as they know their fish can swim.

LondonBridge on