As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy (US) Thanksgiving

DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
So, I wanted to share my prep for this. I wanted to have as much done as can before the day. So I have the buffet table set, and the place settings semi ready. What has other people done? What is the spread?

We have 8-12 people expected. On very pregnant lady might be in hospital. I hope not.

Food:
Turkey - of course
Sweat Bread - homemade
Rolls - home made
Green Bean casserole - has to have!
Tofurkey - Well we didn't have time, so we just bought a field roast (vegetarian). They need wood to. :P
Pumpkin Pie - went bought this year, no one had time with other food.
Sweat Potato - Of course
vegetable try - Need those snacks before the main event, right?
*Olives (black/green)
*Celery
*carrots
*broccoli
Cranberry Sauce "Ham" - ok, this is family joke. As when you take a can of cranberry sauce out of can, it is round. So we stick vegetables as legs, snout, ears, tail, etc to make a "pig" out of our cranberry sauce.
Mashed Potato and Gravy - Has to happen right?
Stuffing vegetarian - again, we need two kinds for those vegetarians. :)
Stuffing
Deviled Eggs - Those are made and in the fridge. So tempted to eat them. Made 18 eggs. 2 didn't survive cooking and pealing. 1 we ate because we ran out of room. Ever popular item for the holiday.
Peas - My son of 6 got to pick something. He wanted peas?
humus dip for veggies!

So, prep work:
Main Table
WP_20131128_01_35_59_Pro.jpg?psid=1
Buffet Table (Yes I labeled stuff so as it arrives it can find its place!
WP_20131128_01_36_23_Pro.jpg?psid=1

If you are not US, I hope you enjoy tomorrow. If you are, what are you doing? What food is planed? And, Happy Holiday (US)

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I believe you are putting approximately one million times more effort in to Thanksgiving than I am.

I will be writing a biology paper and doing a lab. Afterward there will be store bought stuffing and pie along with some roasted veggies and however it is my wife makes sweet potatoes.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Happy Thankgsgiving, PA!

This year is especially special for me, since my Dad's family was able to find time to close their business and make the 12 hour drive to visit us for the holiday. We're going to pack everyone into two cars and drive to my Mom's cousin's house for Turkey dinner, so I will have most of both wings of my family present.

It's also going to be my Grandmother's last Thanksgiving, so we're going to try to transport her, oxygen and all, to my uncle's house. We'll see how that goes.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I believe you are putting approximately one million times more effort in to Thanksgiving than I am.

I will be writing a biology paper and doing a lab. Afterward there will be store bought stuffing and pie along with some roasted veggies and however it is my wife makes sweet potatoes.

There is not better or worse when it comes to holidays. If you are with family, there is that. If you don't have that, well than you don't. I have been alone before, I have been on the receiving end before. For me, Thanksgiving is just that. Thanks. For Family if you have one. Friends if you have them. Work if you have that. School if that is what you are doing.

I am not really a christian, but I always remember the love chapter from the bible. Take from it what you will from the christian faith. I think the bible got that at least right. It isn't anything other than Charity that maters in this world. That is the old English way of saying love.

If all you have or give is charity to someone who doesn't have something. If all you have or give is charity to those who you love or loves you. If all you have or give is charity to family. If all you have or give is charity to your friends. Than you will be a rich man, regardless of what the world says your bottom line is.

I have time. I have dedication to making a happy holiday, away from all the distractions that can happen. That is my charity to those who attend. Some of which, I probably would rather not, but they deserve a good time and meal just as much as anyone else. I have this because I take time away during the day. I work nights, so I give back what I can for what I take during they day when I sleep. The end of the world is an + sum equation for those math geeks out there.

Again, Faith, Hop, and charity... but the greatest of these is charity. Pass it on.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, PA!

This year is especially special for me, since my Dad's family was able to find time to close their business and make the 12 hour drive to visit us for the holiday. We're going to pack everyone into two cars and drive to my Mom's cousin's house for Turkey dinner, so I will have most of both wings of my family present.

It's also going to be my Grandmother's last Thanksgiving, so we're going to try to transport her, oxygen and all, to my uncle's house. We'll see how that goes.

I hope this goes well. My grandpa is 94. I don't think he will be around much longer, and this makes me cry. I'm a grown man, and I cry. Who cares what the world thinks. I wear a white scarf that doesn't follow fashion. I gave fashion, Hollywood, etc up a long time ago. See above, you can be rich even when you have nothing. I read a story as a child. The man under the bridge. He would use his nose at night to "eat" his meal. Wealth is in the eye of the beholder, and to many think you need more than a good relation with more than friends, family, or somehing else. Wealth is were you find it. Find yours.

Again, happy holidays everyone. Even if you are not having one (non US).

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    This yeah for the first time ever I bought a wild organic turkey from a legit farm. I wanted a small turkey and what I got was seventeen pounds and cost eighty fucking dollars. That's right eighty dollars for a turkey please god let this thing be the best turkey i've ever had. Other than that we got the usual spread. I'm about to stuff the turkey now. Happy turkey day PA forums! Remember your fellow man and don't go shopping today OR tomorrow.

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    This yeah for the first time ever I bought a wild organic turkey from a legit farm. I wanted a small turkey and what I got was seventeen pounds and cost eighty fucking dollars. That's right eighty dollars for a turkey please god let this thing be the best turkey i've ever had. Other than that we got the usual spread. I'm about to stuff the turkey now. Happy turkey day PA forums! Remember your fellow man and don't go shopping today OR tomorrow.

I hope your turkey is good. I don't know for the wild organic types, but I understand that some prices are outrages for no other reason than the label we put on them. Hopefuly the label you put on the holiday for you and yours is good fun time.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I hate this holiday. It's an excuse for asshole relatives to darken my doorstep and tell me I'm living my life wrong.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    I hate this holiday. It's an excuse for asshole relatives to darken my doorstep and tell me I'm living my life wrong.

You're doing family wrong.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am English, but my wife takes any excuse for a roast dinner. Don't think it will be turkey, but still.

I am also unclear on what Thanksgiving celebrates, exactly, but Wednesday Addams seemed to regard it with a wary eye.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am English, but my wife takes any excuse for a roast dinner. Don't think it will be turkey, but still.

I am also unclear on what Thanksgiving celebrates, exactly, but Wednesday Addams seemed to regard it with a wary eye.

American Football and American Gluttony.

Our two greatest resources.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I will be driving across town to the parents' house for dinner and football. I'll be meeting my niece for the first time as I spent most of the last month sick and haven't had a chance yet.

• Options
    At this point it's a sort of general gathering feast holiday that serves as a good excuse for everyone to get together. Originally it was more about being thankful for a good harvest and at some point people tried to shoehorn pilgrims and native americans in there but it really is just about eating too much stuffing and turkey with loved ones nowadays.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    In pre emptive reply to all of the snarky "International" posts to come:

USA #1

USA
    USA
    USA

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving is, by far, my favorite holiday.

My dad is cooking the turkey in the smoker this year. I am so excite.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I wish we had thanksgiving too, turkey is delicious

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Point of order: "(US)" needs to be removed from the thread title because the US thanksgiving holiday is the only thanksgiving holiday.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

American thanksgiving is based on the protestant reformation of giving thanks on certain occasions started by the Mad King Henry VIII. There 's some poorly documented pilgrim feast in the 17th century but that whole story is on shaky ground. When it got going back in the day we were basically giving thanks for a good harvest. What started usually as a religious thing by local religious leaders picking a day to do a "give thanks" service became local government leaders like mayors and governors naming a holiday or a feast day. My guess is it just spiraled from there because who doesn't need a holiday weekend at the end of november?

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving geeses and nongeese alike

For the first time, I cooked a shitload of this year's meal, so if my family isn't dead of food poisoning by 6 PM Friday I'll call it an enormous success
    - Turkey + additional turkey breast (not me)
    - Green bean casserole (not me)
    - Cornbread + sausage stuffing (me)
    - Drope (Albanian breadcrumb + raisin stuffing) (me)
    - Carrots + turnip (me)
    - Mashed potatoes (not me)
    - Apple pie (not me)
    - Squash pie (not me)

For all the people who have to deal with crappy family this year or have to work today/tomorrow
    Hug.JPG

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone who has drunk at the pub that was next to a place where the Mayflower was docked at some point, I wish you all well in this important test run holiday preparation exercise for Christmas.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I love turkey when it's brined. So juicy.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

turkey is a lot like pork, in that the health craze of the late 80s early 90s lead to all the fat being bred out of the animal.

Fat that keeps the food moist as it cooks and renders out.

Now we have to brine foods to maintain that same moist deliciousness we used to get with the fat rendering out.

• Options
    THANKS OBAMA

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Why should you be on the defensive? This time, get your judgemental passive aggressiveness in first!

"Hi Bob. Still the same big old dumb loveable fox news veiwer, eh? How's life in the reality bubble ya big galoot? Come in and have some of this beer I brewed from Obama's recipe. Had to make two batches because this "Old Republican White" yeast I got refused to do it's job for the first one so i threw it out and got something useful in the mix... just like you should! Hahah! I kid, I kid. Hey, how are the kids...?"

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

turkey is a lot like pork, in that the health craze of the late 80s early 90s lead to all the fat being bred out of the animal.

Now we have to brine foods to maintain that same moist deliciousness we used to get with the fat rendering out.

Don't even get me started on that. I could care less about turkey because it suck, but they took my pork fat away man.

They. Took. My. Pork. Fat.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Don't even get me started on that. I could care less about turkey because it suck, but they took my pork fat away man.

That's the thing

Turkey didn't used to suck!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

At least they haven't ruined bacon yet.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen my parents for Thanksgiving in eight years. My wife has to go to work this afternoon because American consumers and corporate geese are assholes and must have their deals/must make a buck.

Without my family, I'm not a big fan of Thanksgiving this year.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Other people from the family are making the main courses. I'm providing one of the appetizers - gyoza (aka potstickers). I just finished crimping every last dumpling. Normally the recipe calls for ground beef and pork but one of the relatives invited one of her coworkers who is Jewish and I didn't want to be a dick so I substituted ground turkey. Just taste-tested it and it works well.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The turtles! :3 Finn and Jake! Finn and Jake!

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Standard Thanksgiving so far with my family. Went to see a movie, Ender's game it was good. Come home to turkey soup my dad makes with the neck. Then later today turkey, homemade stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie tonight.

I love Thanksgiving.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sorry so much negative in here. To me it is about seeing family. I don't participate in all the sale stuff that follows though.
    Point of order: "(US)" needs to be removed from the thread title because the US thanksgiving holiday is the only thanksgiving holiday.
    Nope.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)
    http://www.thanksgiving.org.uk/around-the-world.html
    I don't know if you were being tounge in cheek or misunderstood that US is the only country in the world.
    Happy Thanksgiving geeses and nongeese alike

For the first time, I cooked a shitload of this year's meal, so if my family isn't dead of food poisoning by 6 PM Friday I'll call it an enormous success
    - Turkey + additional turkey breast (not me)
    - Green bean casserole (not me)
    - Cornbread + sausage stuffing (me)
    - Drope (Albanian breadcrumb + raisin stuffing) (me)
    - Carrots + turnip (me)
    - Mashed potatoes (not me)
    - Apple pie (not me)
    - Squash pie (not me)

For all the people who have to deal with crappy family this year or have to work today/tomorrow
    Hug.JPG
    I will be heading off to work tonight. I get to see family before though.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Other people from the family are making the main courses. I'm providing one of the appetizers - gyoza (aka potstickers). I just finished crimping every last dumpling. Normally the recipe calls for ground beef and pork but one of the relatives invited one of her coworkers who is Jewish and I didn't want to be a dick so I substituted ground turkey. Just taste-tested it and it works well.
    I can feel you on the pot stickers. I like to make large batches so I can freeze ones we don't eat. But that takes forever.
    Anyway, I just woke up, as I work tonight. No family here yet, but so far prep is going good. fiancé got silver polished, house is cleaned. Sorry people are negative about the holiday. It is one of the 10 that my work is mandated. Also if you are part of a divorced family, it is one of the holiday's that you get to see your children (every other year).

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my family doesn't really have any great cooks. all the sides will be right from a can or box. however, there is one main attraction. my biological dad makes a ham that is just... lbs of brown sugar + cherries. so delicious.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Went to Portland to do the holiday with my brother in law and his wife. Brined turkey is in the oven, cornbread stuffing ready, cranberry relish in the freezer. Time to take the kids to the park.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Table is set:
    WP_20131128_14_11_34_Pro.jpg?psid=1

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Happy Thanksgiving, you bros.

VzYgJm7.jpg

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife headed to work a little while ago, said both her parking lot and Walmart were totally packed.

Fuck humans.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Nope.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)
    http://www.thanksgiving.org.uk/around-the-world.html
    I don't know if you were being tounge in cheek or misunderstood that US is the only country in the world.

I'm sorry, what? There's other countries in the world?

Guys, this was the first time ever that I had to unbutton my pants after eating thanksgiving dinner. Best. Holiday.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

My dad went up to West Virginia Tuesday to celebrate Thanksgiving with my new step-mom's family; I didn't go because I had to work. My mom wanted to come down from Charleston to spend several days with me but didn't because I didn't know if I'd have to go back to work the day after Thanksgiving until I left Wednesday morning (turns out I don't go back until Sunday night). So today my only options were to either stay home alone or go eat with my grandparents, uncle, and my uncle's girlfriend's family.

I ended up going to eat with them. It was alright until my grandmother and the mother of my uncle's girlfriend started talking about how terrible they think Obamacare is, that Obama should be impeached, and that they're surprised nothing worse has happened to him if you know what I mean. Kinda soured my mood a bit.

Also, I'm a vegetarian, so all there was to eat for me was peas and cornbread.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Also, I'm a vegetarian, so all there was to eat for me was peas and cornbread.

I'm a vegetarian and a sweet tooth.

You know why Thanksgiving is great? Discounts on Turtles chocolates.

Of course, real Thanksgiving happened quite a while back. As always, the Americans are a little late to the party.

¯\(ºдಠ)/¯

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage