As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Car Starter

urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R haterRegistered User regular
Hello!

I'm trying to decide on what to get my wife for Christmas and I think a remote car starter sounds like it would fit perfectly. The problem is that I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is the product I'm looking at. It looks like it comes with everything I need. However I see a lot of people mentioning buying a "bypass module" in their reviews. My wife's car is a 96 Toyota Camry. Would this product work?

About how much do you think the installation would cost at a mechanic? (Tough question I'm sure but any ballpark?)

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm trying to decide on what to get my wife for Christmas and I think a remote car starter sounds like it would fit perfectly. The problem is that I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is the product I'm looking at. It looks like it comes with everything I need. However I see a lot of people mentioning buying a "bypass module" in their reviews. My wife's car is a 96 Toyota Camry. Would this product work?

About how much do you think the installation would cost at a mechanic? (Tough question I'm sure but any ballpark?)

Look in to getting it done at a BestBuy, installation is normally between $200-300 parts included, and they really do a good job. Just call in to schedule an appointment, or if you are worried go in and talk shop. For the most part it is actually less expensive to get the parts + installation at the store due to the way packages and sales work. Also, remote starts have certain safety concerns, which make professional installation the best option.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Somehow completely forgot about Best Buy. It looks like they have a package deal for one with install at $139. I'll look into that.. Thank you!

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    and they really do a good job.*

*Quality of installation varies greatly by store and person(s) working that day.

• Options
    Having worked at Best Buy for 3 years I wholeheartedly agree.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It might be better to pay a slight premium to the dealership and get it installed by someone that's certified to work on your vehicle, and carries insurance in case your car catches fire.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    Dealer will charge you out the ass for anything.
    I'm sure Best Buy is insured.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not so sure anymore. I'd rather not be in a situation where my wife and child could be in a car that catches fire... insurance or not.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    Dur,
    I thought @Bowen meant DURING the installation. Good point.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    All BestBuy Auto Techs are MECP certified and insured. And while yeah, quality of install does vary depending on who does it, same thing goes for a dealership. A 96 Camry is a very easy install.

• Options
    I have some friends that still work at Best Buy. Maybe I'll get with them and see if they suggest a tech that they'd prefer.