Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - Gendered marketing, and the myth of disinterested female gamers

• mrthewhitemrthewhite Registered User regular
    @GUNGAN I don't think anyone's suggesting, or should be suggesting, that toys need to be jumbled together like some dollar bin at a discount store but rather that if you look into those pink sections you'd be hard pressed to find a toy or poster or ad in that entire section that is marketed to boys or is gender non-specific.

discrider
  • Mr. MaskMr. Mask Registered User regular
    Your complaint then isn't about toy aisles, but the posters and cover art on toys themselves.

discrider
  • FatikisFatikis Registered User regular
    @MRTHEWHITE...I don't see toys anymore that really show pictures of children on them. They don't market toys that way anymore. Seriously, supersoakers are the only thing I can think of that actually show pictures of children anymore. How long ago were you in a toy aisle? The 90s?

I understand the way the world works. You seem to be deluding yourself into some kind of gender stereotype fantasy.

I'm glad you understand everything sir! You have the authority of saying who is attracted to what! It is an incredible gift. Male triggers! So you continue with your sexism. As if humans conform to your silly groups you've decided to create. The game is marketed. It uses sex appeal. Sex appeal that can easily be applied to both genders. Or are the attractive male figures I'm playing designed for me?

Laura Croft counts as sex appeal because she is designed to be attractive, and you are telling me that the attractive males in games don't count as sex appeal?

You are the one imposing gender rules. Your frank caricaturisation of what you perceive to be boys and girls is part of the problem. You are merely perpetuating false stereotypes with your absurd gender war.

• TyrusPeaceTyrusPeace Registered User regular
    Yeah, marketing goes for the easiest target. That doesn't mean anyone's actually stuck playing with barbies or "girl games" their whole lives. The angry 4 year old in the article is evidence that kids and their parents aren't bound to using what marketers choose to advertise to them because it's the cheapest/most efficient/whatever.

• E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Great article and an interesting read. Only complaint I'd have is the huge quotes taken out of sequence. They were like 'Here's some sentences taken out of context so as to be confusing. Don't worry, they'll make sense when you re-read them in a few minutes. Probably wasn't' worth using them, if we're being honest.'

• GunganGungan Registered User regular
    @Mr.Mask

I wasn't blaming you, just kind of highlighting the irony... although it does explain a lot if true.

edited December 2013
    @FATIKIS Your obviously reading far more into my statements than I'm actually saying and I see its pointless to continue this debate. You are using exceptions to be the rule in order to dispute what I'm saying and there's no point continuing a conversation like that.

I have been in the toy aisle recently and the pink sections are either dolls that are girl, feature female characters on the box or feature actual pictures of girls playing with them. Very few are male characters unless they are paired with a female character AMD none of the images on the boxes feature real or cartoon boys.

mrthewhite on
  • Mr. MaskMr. Mask Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @Gungan: I'm not sure if those titles are marketed at women (gender neutral, family-friendly advertising in places women would see them would seem more logical). They just pointed out they have a lot of female players.

Mr. Mask on
  • tazsultazsul Registered User regular
    @Mrthewhite "It's not socially acceptable for boys to play the pony/barbie/dressup games." "Stop trying to imply I'm the one imposing the gender rules and open your eyes to the way the world works"

You sir are explicitly imposing gender roles. This is something you are bringing to the product, not something inherit in it.

• CosmicMuffetCosmicMuffet Registered User regular
    God damn it Ben, WRONG AGAIN! You use the egg to batter the chicken and deep fry it with 13 secret herbs and spices. THEN you eat it.

I can't believe you would screw up such a straight forward metaphor with your convoluted feminist views. As if cliches about chicken were something you can just magically wish to mean what *YOU* want them to mean.

(satire)

• BananamousBananamous Registered User regular
    @FATIKIS

I don't wholly disagree with you, but I'd like to point out something that I noticed a couple of months ago that bothers me, and I feel like it counters some of your arguments here.

Hasbro released a new Nerf line called "Rebelle." It's marketed towards girls, and they go so far as to say "New Sports Action Toys for Girls." When you're dealing with something as universally fun as dart guns, why is there a need to create a "for girls" specific line? And then make them all pink and have angel wing graphics on them? And package them with exclusive "Designer Darts" (again, their words, not mine) that have fashion patterns on them in pink and turquoise?

The whole thing felt cheap to me. I would think that if Hasbro just wanted to get people to stop thinking that toy guns are just for boys, they would do so by showing girls playing with the standard line, not creating a separate line with design aspects based on old stereotypes. And I feel I should also mention that designating the line "for girls" excludes any boys that would want to play with a pink gun. It's thinking like this that continues to define gender lines in toys.

To top it all off... and I think this is less on Hasbro and more the fault of the stores that stock them, unless Hasbro has final say in where items are stocked... they're stocked with the dolls and not with the other Nerf guns. It's stuff like this that leads me to believe that there are in fact still "girl aisles" and "boy aisles" in stores, because there's nothing logical about splitting your stock of dart guns and placing the "girl" line with the dolls and every other line with the action figures or sports section.

• StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    The four year old at the beginning seems frustrated that toys are divided between girls (pink princesses and the like) and boys (soldiers, cars, etc), but the people who talk about games for girls/women speak the same way. No one argues that shooters and action games should be marketed to women (or feature interesting women characters more prominently), they argue that certain genres and series have always appealed to women but have been mostly overlooked.

This Bogost fella annoys me with his analysis:
    "Meanwhile, FarmVille and Angry Birds are considered something else entirely and associated with a different domain."

That's because they ARE different domains. Farmville was a Facebook game and Angry Birds was on mobile platforms. Video games have traditionally been on consoles or PCs. And while you can play these games on the PC their fans aren't upgrading their systems to run them and the gameplay isn't particularly deep.

He also discusses Solitaire and Minesweeper, failing to acknowledge that they're not major selling points for a PC the way Crysis might sell a video card upgrade or Gears of War helped sell the Xbox 360. If Solitaire and Minesweeper didn't exist on Windows, I doubt anyone would've missed them.

And most of these games don't have a loyal following the way more "hardcore" games do. The Wii's audience dried up after a few years and didn't move on to the Wii U (the horrible marketing and name are partially to blame). Zynga's largely collapsed after the public lost interest in Farmville and their other products fizzled.

I'm also annoyed at the phrase "infantile adolescent power fantasies", it'd be nice if someone analyzing the game industry could discuss it without insulting the base. I cringe at absurdly proportioned women, racial stereotypes, and poorly-told stories in many games, but what makes games popular is the gameplay, and I doubt this guy respects that.

"In this industry, we think of marketers as these evil-doers who take the product and ruin it by hawking it in the wrong way to the public. And that might be true. I don't know."

My fear is that marketers will jump in during the development cycle, say "We need to change this gameplay mechanic/plot element/aesthetic aspect to make it more appealing to a wider demographic" and in the process alienate the original fan base without winning enough new people over to justify the change. Hideo Kojima introduced Raiden in MGS2 due to feedback from girls in Japan and it remains one of the most controversial decisions in the whole series. Admittedly, Kojima made this change not a marketing expert, but the decision was based on marketing feedback. Chances are guys like Bogost will screw it up pretty badly and then blame the fans for not liking the crappy design decisions they forced on the developers.

Despite this running way too long already, I'll also add that societal pressure is a huge factor. A large percentage of parents flip their shit when little Johnny plays with dolls and no amount of marketing can overcome that.

edited December 2013
    @TAZSUL Like FATIKIS You are confusing social norms with my opinion. I don't believe boys aren't allowed to play "girl" games but I do see the social norms that boys are discouraged from playing those games.

If you don't see those same social norms that's fine, but they are something I've observed, not something I've enforced.

Please try to divorce the observation from the observer, they are not the same thing.

mrthewhite on
  • WizarDruWizarDru Registered User regular
    The article raises some interesting points, but it gets lazy at several points. It's an urban myth that Santa Claus wears red because of Coca Cola, for example (Thomas Nast would be pretty surprised to find that his version of Santa was being attributed to a drink maker who didn't exist at the time).

Likewise, the article takes a lot of shortcuts in discussing gender. Myst was very popular with EVERYONE, though the article seems to be making a case that Doom was for boys, Myst was for girls. Myst sold six million copies and was a success because it redefined computer gaming with a reach far beyond what was considered the market at the time. It's also kind of interesting how the article seems to blame Nintendo for some of the marketing bias, but then fails to note that Nintendo generally appeals in much greater numbers to female gamers than other platforms.

• WizarDruWizarDru Registered User regular
    @stockbreak They didn't use to be different domains. Angry Birds is really not that different from a host of games that had already appeared on consoles and PCs; the biggest difference was the lack of a touch-screen. Take a look at games like Worms or Lemmings, for example. If you had suggested in 1995 that it wasn't a 'REAL' video game (or any of it's ~20 sequels), we'd have looked at you funny. It's only in the last 10+ years that video games have become so polarized and definitions so rigidly defended. You are correct that Minesweeper and Solitaire rarely sold PCs...but does that invalidate people playing them for hundreds of hours? Who gets to decide what is legitimate gaming and what is not? It was widely joked in the 1990s that Freecell, Minesweeper and Solitaire were the biggest hits to American productivity in years. But they didn't fit in the box that gamers want to construct to define the industry, so it doesn't count? Where does the line get drawn? Does Farmville not count due to its origins, but Rune Factory or Harvest Moon does?

As for Wii's audience 'drying up'...I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean, Wii owners only bought specific, mostly-first party or non-'core' games, then I guess that MIGHT be true. But Nintendo's 'evergreen' strategy for it's titles mean that they continued to sell for years. Quick question: how many PS3 games sold 20 million? Xbox 360? If you said 'NONE', you'd be correct. For the Wii, it was SEVEN. Mario Kart Wii sold 32 million copies. Sony and Microsoft's best selling first-party titles were Gran Tourismo V (~10 million) and Halo 3 (8.1 million). The Wii U is doing terribly, but the Wii never really faltered in terms of game sales. I know it bothers some gamers that Mario Party 8 sold more than the entire Uncharted franchise collectively (as if that means anything about either franchise), but the fact is the Wii never lost its audience...it's audience simply didn't buy many games that weren't from Nintendo's core franchises.

• Huttj509Huttj509 Registered User regular
    In the discussion of video games and gendered targeting, I'm often reminded of a SMBC comic:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1962#comic

• TiberiusEsuriensTiberiusEsuriens Registered User regular
    @WIZARDRU
    I definitely agree about Myst. My family is all boys and we absolutely loved the Myst games. I even remember when they released Myst V in 2005. People, well at least the 'grand' gaming media, were all spouting how click adventure/puzzle games were dead and that it wouldn't sell. After all, this was the rising era of male gaming domination and power fantasy shooters. The only people that played games must have been guys, and only girls played Myst, right?

In 2 only years Myst V sold over 12 million copies (a LOT for a puzzle game, and double what you were thinking). The game was viral on the internet for it's complicated, intricate, and interlocking puzzles. There was the running joke of people throwing their computers out the window in frustration, and perhaps a few videos on youTube to support it. Critics and fans alike gossiping together in their 'man-caves' about how to solve the game.

This really does illustrate the authors point, though: What we want to play and enjoy playing is often very different than what we ask to play, because we are trained to ask for things dictated to us by marketing.

• raykremerraykremer Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Long story short, a demographic bias of boys over girls exists for real, marketers hyperfocus on it to the point that it becomes an accepted and reinforced stereotype both among the public and within the studios. All of it completely logical, obvious in hindsight really. It's not about being sexist or excluding anybody, it's just efficient use of resources that has unfortunate implications. I'm sure that many of us not gripped by gender-related righteous indignation instinctively grasped this to be the case, even if we couldn't put it into words.

This article should be sent out to the people currently having this same fight over comic books, the portrayal of women in comic books, and women comic book creators. I'm pretty sure it's the same damn thing.

How do you solve the problem? Look people, as long as soda pop makers feel they have to come up with absurd names for the diet version of their beverage and advertize it as being macho so that men can buy sugar free soda without thinking their friends will judge them to be sissies, there's going to be no fucking hope for gender equality in video game and comic book audience targeting. Hyperfocused target marketing may or may not be bullshit but it's what all the industries believe in.

raykremer on
  • StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    My point concerning different domains was more that the people who play Farmville, Candy Crush Saga, and Angry Birds don't overlap much with those who play Gears of War or RPGs. So essentially those are different "domains".

Despite the fact that many people played Minesweeper, the game never generated any revenue for Microsoft. It just happened to be there when people were bored, so it got played a lot. The game's 'success' tells us nothing about the people who play them and what they'd be willing to pay for. That's why it doesn't come up when people discuss video game industry, it had no impact to retailers, publishers, or consumers' wallets.

I never said any of the above aren't "legitimate" games, but I do feel that the audiences for social media/mobile games and console/PC games are different enough that they're two separate conversations.

You are correct with regards to the Wii's software sales figures, my point was that they haven't been able to take the same millions of people and convert them into Wii U owners. There's not much loyalty in that population.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    @Raykremer
    I'm a bit aghast. You've written out the dictionary definition of sexism, and then said that it isn't sexism.

Your comment:
    "demographic bias of boys over girls exists for real, marketers hyperfocus on it to the point that it becomes an accepted and reinforced stereotype both among the public and within the studios."

dictionary definition:
    "prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."

The literal definition of sexism includes "bias of boys over girls" and "reinforced stereotype".

How do you change culture? By bringing awareness to it. That is what articles like this do--they get people talking and thinking about the stereotype.

I hope most people who read this article are affected as strongly as you were; I hope most people have a more positive output in response to the impact.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    It is kind of amazing to scroll down and see a whole page of (mostly) men saying that this isn't a problem.

I don't understand the outrage. Some women who enjoy video games are writing about the history of gendered marketing in the video games industry, and how it bothers them. Presumably, they'd appreciate a little more non-gender-role specific marketing.

There are actually companies responding to this, and producing gender-neutral ads. To pretend that it is impossible is so incredibly ignorant I don't know that I have a response for you.

http://p-ec1.pixstatic.com/51bcf532d9127e25770016cd._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

This is an example of a toys ad that doesn't explicitly enforce gender norms. Would it honestly be that hard for an ad for a video game to show an (average appearing, non scantily clad) woman playing it? Will that actually cause men to not play the video game?

The baseline on this issue here seems to be:
    "This is just the way the world works, sister, shut up and like it. You aren't going to change anything because it is hopeless anyways."

It makes me really sad to see this response.

@RAYKREMER

"How do you solve the problem? Look people, as long as soda pop makers feel they have to come up with absurd names for the diet version of their beverage and advertize it as being macho so that men can buy sugar free soda without thinking their friends will judge them to be sissies, there's going to be no fucking hope for gender equality in video game and comic book audience targeting."

We're faced with target bias because we buy according to bias, but we buy according to bias because we're afraid of being judged by buying against bias. It's a self-feeding cycle, and it's hard to break.

10: products are designed and marketed towards males and females
    20: males and females stick to things designed and marketed toward them for fear of judgement
    30: according to sales figures, men and women respond well to biased design and marketing
    40: goto 10

• Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    The gender-neutral toy ads aren't replacing the other ads, they're aimed at a different demo and selling a different product. The demo? Yours. How do I know? Because they worked.

Console video games tend to be genres that are focused on violence, and in our culture there isn't a gender-neutral way to market products about violence (and especially about the military) to women. We don't have the language for it. And if you think that gender role is a good or an empowering thing for men, you really should consider reading up on the military.

Good article in general, I agree that the central issue with games is that we only focus on the games that are useful to our narratives. This shouldn't come as a surprise, since we do that with everything else too, but it's something that we can never be reminded enough about.

Arch wrote: »
    the lynch mob is a feature, not a bug in the democratic system
  • purlgamerpurlgamer Registered User new member
    Interesting article. Personal opinion: The problem is being solved. S L O W L Y. There are just so many facets... ( I've been researching gender and games for a few years now....) All gamers know that some ladies like God of War, some guys like Peggle - gamers like games. We are all a demographic. Now the publishers and marketers need to catch up. Suggestions: Take away pink boxes as a toy standard, put characters like Bioshock's Elizabeth on the front cover, put a Sephora ad in Game Informer and a COD ad in Shape magazine.

• TransientMindTransientMind Registered User regular
    I read this article after being linked elsewhere, and really enjoyed it... but was baffled to read the headline here on PAR.

Just goes to show how some people can take something completely different away from the same piece of work.

We see the same tired old, "Why alienate half the market?" and, "Men dominate the industry, and make the games they want to play," stuff getting trotted out when people discuss the article, but the article itself uses its facts and figures and industry experts to explain that actually, that's just a perception of what's happening, not the reality. A perception based on the noisiest marketing.

Before anyone goes jumping on any bandwagons, they should really read the thing. It's much more neutral than The Cut write-up indicates. It's a fairly dispassionate, non-preachy exploration of the reasons for the status quo, and an examination of how the common perceptions of the status quo are not necessarily accurate, thanks to the smoke-and-mirrors of marketing.

• RapzidRapzid Registered User regular
    @BANANAMOUS I believe that's a false assertion. It COULD be true. Certainly it sounds good. But we have too much evidence that the concept of "masculinity" was well in mind from before modern marketing and consumerism back to pre-history.

• HazHaz Registered User regular
    @ZEGOTA
    "There is nothing inherent about someone who likes Bratz dolls that means they won't like Transformers dolls."

No, but the store _already knows that you are interested in Bratz dolls, and will thus show you things which are similar to Bratz dolls._

Like I said, I am with you on calling out advertisers which enforce gender bias, but for the most part I think the store organization issue is mostly irrelevant.

• OhoniOhoni Registered User regular
    @Mrthewhite, there are definitely aisle that are marketed towards girls, but that doesn't mean that no boys are aloud. What are typically considered the "boys aisles" really aren't marketed towards boys. They usually just have a bunch of toys that boys tend to like, such as action figures, and none that they tend not to, like Barbies. If you're a little girl named Sally who happens to like X-Men figures though, that there is not the "boys aisle," that's the "Sally aisle."

And for the record, just because an area is colored pink does not mean that boys cannot enter it, or if it's blue that girls cannot enter. If any parent believes otherwise then that is the fault of the parent, not of the store.

@Bananamous:
    "Hasbro released a new Nerf line called "Rebelle." It's marketed towards girls, and they go so far as to say "New Sports Action Toys for Girls." When you're dealing with something as universally fun as dart guns, why is there a need to create a "for girls" specific line?"

The simple answer springs to mind, "because girls were not buying the generic versions." If they were, then Hasbro wouldn't have any reason to make girls versions. That would be a huge waste of their time and money. But if they did bother to make girl versions, then that means that their testing showed that not enough girls wanted the generic versions, but that more girls were interested in the "girl versions," for whatever features they added. That they made these is not the fault of the toy manufacturer, it's the fault of little girls for not buying the generic version.

@Steever, yes, gender neutral ads are possible, and when the market is likely to be less than 60/40 one gender over the other, then they are probably also wise, but short of that, in genres and products that are purchased 70/30, or even 90/10 by one gender over another, then it only makes sense to focus as tightly on that target audience as possible. Any marketing dollar spent outside that focus are mostly wasted. Again, in situations like that, the fault is not with the developers, or the marketers, or the retailers, but with the customers for not expressing interest in the product in sufficient numbers.

edited December 2013
    @OHONI AGAIN PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE.

I never said boys CAN'T play with those toys and I explicitly said there is no physical barrier to boys entering those aisles. But through marketing and social behaviors boys are discouraged from wanting to play with those toys.

I have been talking all along about the PSYCHOLOGICAL barriers that we place in front of boys and girls NOT PHYSICAL.

Yes little Bill can go into a pink aisle and pick up whatever toy he likes but when he looks at the Easy Bake Oven and thinks that might be fun toy he see colors that society typically associates with girls and images of only girls playing with the toy all over the box. This makes a child think "This toy looks fun but it looks like it wasn't made for me to play with". The same thing happens with Sally when she enters the "boy" toy aisles.

When Sally goes to look at X-Men toys she's not in the Sally aisle because Sally isn't such a special snow flake as to have her own aisle in a store. She's entering an area that is marketed towards boys and happens to be one of the few children who can overcome the marketing and social pressures to stick with toys marketed towards her.

AGAIN I never said no girl could ever buy a toy marketed for boys, only that they are discouraged from doing so.

mrthewhite on
  • Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Minecraft.

Gender neutral. No marketing outside of word of mouth. Overwhelmingly male userbase from a young age.

Mobile games. Especially puzzle games, overwhelmingly female userbase, 65% of mobile revenue is from women.

Bioshock infinite. Put a dude with a gun on the cover. More people will buy it.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-art-of-commerce-why-bioshock-infinites-cover-doesnt-matter

Different genres appeal to different demographics. This is the same for every different artform. The industry isn't there to change what these demographics want.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    While I would love to see less gendered marketing and more women as subjects in the male-dominated genres, we should not be under any illusions that it will significantly correct gender imbalance in those markets. As long as gender "means" anything we should expect to see demographic divisions by genre like we are now. The bigger problem as this article implies is that some genres aren't seen as "games," and that a truly gender-neutral game isn't just about the marketing and characters, but down to the very mechanics and play style of your game. Putting a female lead in CoD isn't automatically going to turn that franchise around, and the male leads in the Sierra games didn't scare too many women off either.

• JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    The Nerf Rebelle line (clever name there) is more a marketing cash in on the Hunger Games than anything. That's why the majority of them are bow based, there is a preponderance of bird-imagery in the design and the line came out about a month before the lead up to the new movie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they made these (even with the overly femme imagery and marketing). The first step is getting them to like the toy itself. The second is letting them no it's ok to like things without gender signifiers.

edited December 2013
    @RAPZID

Quite possibly. That's my opinion, and I don't have the numbers to back it up offhand.

As far as masculinity goes, sure, the concept has existed for a long time, but it doesn't have to continue to exist in the way that we know it now. There were some ugly aspects of masculinity that we've already all but squashed. We've evolved beyond or redefined many outdated concepts as a human race, and we can continue to do so, but obviously it's a difficult process.

@OHONI

See my second post. It explains my thoughts on the cycle of expectations and why we continue to be stuck there on both the producer/marketer side and the consumer side.

@JACKDAWGIN

I feel like letting people know that it's okay to operate outside classic gender roles should be the FIRST thing.

Bananamous on
  • ExcaliburproxyExcaliburproxy Registered User regular
    People who want more games for girls should create and produce game for girls, not bitch about companies being unable to take the risk.

Kickstart some shit.

Excaliburproxy: Walking death machine on wheels.
  • JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    @Excaliburproxy - But the better point is that there shouldn't be "games for girls". That just leads to Barbie horse adventure and Neopets. The point is that girls should feel like any and all games are for them as much as they are for boys. That's not changes in game design or advertising. That's societal change.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Polygon is doing some of the best reporting and features in the video game space since their debut, shout out to them for both their content and the presentation.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Dang, well written article. It's always interesting to look at the processes that shaped these things that have "always been this way".

Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
  • xaoxao Registered User regular
    @Fixer4000
    Different genres appeal to different demographics. This is the same for every different artform. The industry isn't there to change what these demographics want.

So why do you think that different genres appeal to different demographics? Is there a biological reason that the FPS genre is largely played by males?

• TransientMindTransientMind Registered User regular
    @Xao: "Is there a biological reason that the FPS genre is largely played by males?"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. We've already known for a long time that there are significant differences between male and female psychology influenced directly by our physiology rather than pure social conditioning. Aggression is not just a function of environment but also body chemicals. Obviously there are always outliers, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to discover gender predispositions to certain elements in various game genres.

• mouseclickermouseclicker Registered User new member
    Fixer40000: Minecraft's word of mouth marketing was largely through enthusiast forums, dominated by male gamers, because console and PC gaming are marketed squarely at men. Also, it's basically interactive Legos, and construction toys are also marketed squarely at boys. Which also explains why engineering fields are dominated by men, they're conditioned from birth to think of the world like that while girls are conditioned from birth to think of being nurturing and caretakers. It all makes a LOT of sense when you think about.

In fact, it's so easy to see that I honestly have no tolerance for other people that keep peddling the biological differences model. It's such a lazy explanation with very, very little roots in fact. It's also so restrictive. Acknowledging that gender, and therefor gender differences, are socially constructed means we can change them. We can ignore them, we can do whatever we want! Isn't that so much more freeing and empowering? People cling so desperately to the idea that gender differences are innate that it almost seems masochistic.