As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need suggestions for upgrading my computer

I want to upgrade my computer, and I was wondering what the most cost-efficient manner to do so would be. I want to spend at most $200, and I want to get the best bang for my buck. Gaming is my goal.
Here's what I've got:

Dell 540S
Windows 7
Processor: Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 @2.60Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4350

More details:
System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Studio Slim 540s
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 587 GB
Disk partition (C:) 224 GB Free (587 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 4350
Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.630.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Looks like you have a computer with short (half-size) panels on the back. You won't be able to upgrade even the graphics card to anything decent because of that limitation. I would suggest saving up a bit more, and come check out the computer build thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/180224/computer-build-thread-haswell-more-like-has-damnit-i-had-something-for-this

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You want to game on that for $200?

The shortest simplest answer is:

No.

If you can triple your budget we can put you together a new tower that will blow that one into the weeds, but what you currently have is realistically un-upgradeable. It's possible, but it's very expensive and you'll end up with something that is much less powerful than if you'd just spent half the money and built a brand new system.

• Options
    RetonReton Registered User new member
    I'm going to have to agree with the other two, you're severely limited by the case you have there. Unfortunately that's just the begging of the problems with upgrades. As they have stated it won't be cheaper to upgrade that computer in the long term.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's not even just the case. The motherboard is so outdated there's almost nothing available for it, and what is available is horrendously overpriced, there's no way the PSU is going to be up to powering a modern system, his HDD is old enough that I wouldn't bother putting it in a new system, I'd just trash it, his RAM is stupid expensive to get more of, and is SLOW...

• Options
    RetonReton Registered User new member
    I agree, I suppose I should have expanded on what else I meant. I agree completely with you.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input folks. I didn't realize how much of a dead end my computer is in terms of upgrades.

Traditionally, I've gotten the Dell pre-mades, but I suppose now it is time to change and build my own.

• Options
    Seriously though, for $600 we can put together a parts list that will make a new computer that will annihilate what you currently have. For $1000 we can put together a mid-level gaming rig.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Traditionally, I've gotten the Dell pre-mades, but I suppose now it is time to change and build my own.

Building a PC seems very intimidating to a lot of people, but the reality is that it's a fairly simple process now that we don't have to worry about IRQs and dip switches and co-processors and all manner of other things. New PCs are much easier to build, there are countless well-written or filmed tutorials, and there is an enormous community of people who are willing to help, especially if it's your first build.

Basically, if you can build a Lego set, you can build a PC.

You'll not only save money, but you'll get a better understanding of how your own system is built and how it works as well.

If gaming is your primary goal, hold on to your 540s after you build a new rig. Depending on your home setup, a spare low profile PC might come in handy for SteamOS streaming sometime in the near future.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the input folks. I didn't realize how much of a dead end my computer is in terms of upgrades.

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!

And yeah, keep your old rig together. Old computers end up being really handy in weird ways.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    One thing he could do is pop a ssd hard drive in it. A good one can be found for under 200 and it should fit in the computer

An ssd is one of the best things ever anyway

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I have to save up some more cash, but I think I'll have enough in a month or so to begin building a new computer from scratch. About how much would you estimate it would cost? My benchmark for performance right now is being able to run Skyrim at a high resolution smoothly.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Check out the computer build thread above for help. $600 can get you something very decent these days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have to save up some more cash, but I think I'll have enough in a month or so to begin building a new computer from scratch. About how much would you estimate it would cost? My benchmark for performance right now is being able to run Skyrim at a high resolution smoothly.

Skyrim's a tough one for that. It's not optimised as well as it could be, and there are places and scenarios where even people with multi-card gaming rigs run into slowdown and stuttering.

You're going to want a discrete graphics card to ensure smooth graphics at 1080p and reasonable settings. Now, you don't have to spend $500 on the top of the line, but I'd suggest something along these lines: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202050