As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BF4] 100% of servers now running 24/7 Meatro. We've come full circle.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    What do you guys think about adding Obliteration to the 64 player maplist? It seems to be working for other people.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Can someone confirm that the heavier ammo types can penetrate one player and continue on to hit additional players? It would explain some of my M240B kill streaks last night.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Sniper rounds definitely can. I got an (entirely accidental) double kill on two guys who lined up perfectly.

Don't think LMG rounds do though off the top of my head.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Prohass wrote: »
    Why the hell would they not have levolution? Like not even a weather or time of day change? God I'm already regretting my premium. If they make a snow map that doesn't have snowfall I'll just scream.

Like I said in the last thread, I don't mind the lack of levolution, it tended to be buggy/crashy anyways. I do mind that ~1 month after launch they're already just abandoning one of their most hyped features. If they actually come out and say they did it because it was so crashy, that's fine. But if they just didn't add it because they're lazy, that's pretty sad.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Spent about 2 hours with some friends taking turns running each other over in jets in an empty conquest server. I give no fucks, I unlocked my gadget and I don't have to get back into a jet ever again. Im just terrible at it, and have no desire to get better. I got my ucav and now will spend a day using it too much then forgetting I have it and letting it sit unused in my loadouts.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Most of the new maps are terrible.
    The infantry based Vietnam style one is pretty fun though.
    I'm almost prepared to forgive Dice because dirt bikes are so fun to drive.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Would be kinda neat if having CR active let you use quad bikes instead of quads in someway on stock maps. There's not a big difference between the two from what I've seen.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    What do you guys think about adding Obliteration to the 64 player maplist? It seems to be working for other people.

Is there a way to set time limits for Obliteration? It can bog down really badly near the end unless one team is just steamrolling the other.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Is there a way to set time limits for Obliteration? It can bog down really badly near the end unless one team is just steamrolling the other.

Dice put a 20 minute time limit in a week or so ago.

So you can't have those epic games anymore that bog down into trench warfare.

• Options
    At least some of the new maps have some levelution. I starts clouding up and raining on that infantry map with the caves.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I noticed the dust created by the helicopters flown low on one of the maps was significantly increased. I'd say these maps look pretty awesome, but what I've played so far, just are not designed well for the larger scale gameplay. I need to play some domination on them though yet, but I'm not convinced there is any close quarters combat to be had.

• Options
    The domination versions of all the maps are just tiny clusterfucks. The only one that is slightly open is the Jungle map, but its pretty shitty with the flow and the spawning. I honestly hate all 4 maps on Dom, and thats usually how I like to play. Smaller focused maps are much better when you just want to do a map or two, and these maps are just bad for that.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Still can't seem to play any of the dlc maps on the xbone.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I played a lot of air superiority last night, and really liked it...

But then I love flight sims and have a proper hotas setup for BF4 so it just took a while to get use to 3rd person camera shooting and then I was mvping some matches. Helicopters were more strange, I agree it would of been better to have some little birds in with the attack choppers. Also, playing with friends as wingmen is 100000% more fun then trying to solo, especially with the copter map.

It's nice though that I've now got all the unlocks for those things as getting them normally was going to be super slow due to the lack of planes to play during a round. Passive missiles on the stealth jet makes me so happy, and tv guided for the chopper should be fun with friends.

I'd play Air supperiority more though if there was a no-missiles mode as survival is mostly about avoiding the lock ons after you pop flares/ecm once, as everyone sees you do it and then locks you on again. I got around this mostly by sticking near hills to duck behind but you will rarely get to use flares/ecm more then twice per life.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Perhaps DICE has some metrics that show Stealth Jets and Attack Choppers having lower unlock rates than other vehicles which is why there is a mode and maps that heavily feature them?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular

So far I've yet to be on angry dome and it not been a constant steamroll. I particularly enjoyed the game with the level 105 recon guy that checking his battlereport later went something like 35-10 with 100% accuracy and tons of headshots.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »

So far I've yet to be on angry dome and it not been a constant steamroll. I particularly enjoyed the game with the level 105 recon guy that checking his battlereport later went something like 35-10 with 100% accuracy and tons of headshots.

I played an Obliteration game on Hainan Resort last night (non-Dome) where the other team blew up the first 2 points in about 15 minutes, and then it took them about an hour to get the third point. Some people on my team spent about 30 minutes trying to help them win (like moving the bomb to C and waiting for them to come get it) and they still couldn't do it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I noticed the dust created by the helicopters flown low on one of the maps was significantly increased. I'd say these maps look pretty awesome, but what I've played so far, just are not designed well for the larger scale gameplay. I need to play some domination on them though yet, but I'm not convinced there is any close quarters combat to be had.

This post is really interesting to me. Specifically the bolded part. I don't have alot of experience on Battlefield maps, so I can't comment on them(I'll be playing tonight, though!), but this year's Call of Duty seems to have pulled a reverse Battlefield 4 (if the bolded part is the case, that is). The CoD maps this year tried to hard to be like BF, and as such, are way too big for the smaller playercount/closer quarters style of gameplay that you usually see in the series.

This is a big part of why I decided to pick up BF4. Ghosts MP is the worst I think it's ever been in the CoD franchise.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    well BF is usually good about designing huge open maps, and enclosed close quarter maps. Their Close Quarters dlc in BF3 was probably one of my favorites. The problem I have with the new maps is that they're just really bad at both types now. Silk Road is huge and open, but just shitty with constant dunes and shit with snipers all over them, and little point of counter-play. Running across an open desert to get somewhere, or using vehicles to get across the map just means you get spotted and seen before you can counter their positions. While Silk Road in domination is a small base with a few different paths, but every single path is just STUFFED with crap all over it. Boxes, breakable waist-high walls, its just shit that gets in the way. I'd much prefer clearer paths, and multiple ways around than just cluttered shitty walkways.

Also the spawns are super fucked in tiny ass maps like that.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well, the base maps are all pretty balanced on the large scale side of things. I'd say from my limited time on the new maps that once one team gets an advantage it is nearly impossible to come back for multiple reasons. You need insane amounts of teamwork that just doesn't happen ever to make a dent in the other team. So, maybe a team of squads that are all being led properly might be able to do some amazing things on these huge maps, but the only time you are going to find that situation is when the other team is also basically pro level and they won't allow your team to just do whatever you want.

Silk Road feels like it could be absolutely epic as a tournament map with everyone on both teams in communication with one another. But, that's not how I play. I play with some PAers and though we are awesome when we work together, we rarely can fill out 32 slots all at the same time AND keep the other team happy enough that they stick around for an entire round.

Conquest Locker has this same sort of problem, but it is way more exciting because there isn't a line of tanks and AAs mowing you down at spawn the whole game. Okay, sometimes it feels that way, but it only takes one squad on the team in Locker to work together and back-cap and possibly turn the game around, or at least make it more fun.

I still need to try air superiority, but I'm in doubt that I will enjoy that mode, which is fine, I just kinda wish some of the unlocks weren't hidden behind that wall.

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Still can't seem to play any of the dlc maps on the xbone.

First, make sure those DLCs are downloaded to your box. I did it from main menu and selected one of the picture box with CR or SA on the right side. Then I clicked on one of the DLC from the list to start "install". This starts the download process.

After install the go to server browser filter to select only those maps. Spam refresh over and over again. Sometimes I get nothing and other times I get page full of servers.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I was able to unlock the UCAV last night. Before you all become incredibly frustrated trying to get this thing, just be aware i'm having a hard time ever seeing myself using it. Maybe I'm not understanding how to use it correctly but I spent about 15 minutes on Hainan Resort hidden behind a hill launching UCAVs at the inevitable sniper nest on top of the resort and I think I got around 3 kills total, one which was a roadkill. The explosion just seems to be very weak, on a couple of occasions I flew it into two or three snipers in close proximity and detonated it and didn't get any kills.

I was able to get the three jet ribbons in one 300 ticket air superiority match. I have a cheap joystick I break out only for this game and Tie Fighter, so I'm sure at an advantage, but one big somewhat counterintuitive thing I learned was to really focus on guns rather than missiles when I was going for kills. The problem with missiles on these big air fights is that even if you hit the target, he's now at like 40% health or so and you'll probably lose him before your missiles reload, so you've just set up someone else to get lucky and get a kill.

With guns if you can get on their tail and get a solid 5 seconds or so you can burn them down very quickly, the guns do alot more damage than I thought they would (having never played jets much at all). Also, at least on PC the guns have some degree of self targeting...they will mildly track someone in a small cone front of you so you don't have to be perfect at keeping them right in your gun sights for the whole shot.

Switching to guns was a huge revelation to me...I first started trying to get my jet ribbons doing the 100 ticket matches w/ missiles and I was ending rounds with like 2 kills. I then found the 300 ticket server, decided to give the guns a try, and ended the round with like 23 kills and 5 new unlocks down the Jet line.

• Options
    The new maps might be big, but you should never have a problem getting around. There are TONS of ATVs and Bikes scattered throughout the maps. You never have to walk anywhere unless you really want to.

• Options
    Also, in contrast to the UCAV, the smaller recon drone (SUAV) seems awesome. I unlocked it early this morning before work and only got to play with it for 5 minutes or so, but it seems to have unlimited range and duration, flies slow enough to easily control w/ the mouse and I would think could be really valuable to a team on a big map. I can definitely see me throwing on a podcast and having a more relaxing game where I just sit back at spawn, toss that thing up, and lase targets for the team for 20 minutes or so.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Shogun, Ruro and I are playing on a 1200 ticket Conquest Large Chinaryze server, and it's pretty fun.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I'm withholding judgement on the maps until I get more time on them. When I first saw Silk Road I thought it looked terrible but I had a ton of fun as a little bird pilot last night on the Dome until it started becoming stinger city. Did more infantry and vehicle combat on the map today with shiashi and ruro and I sort of like the map even better. The flat plateaus do lend themselves to snipers, but the map doesn't have a lot of vertical movement. They become pretty easy targets themselves if you approach it the right way. All the points on that map get intense with infantry and vehicle combat. If you like close quarters action just hang out at Delta the entire map. It is thick with guys constantly swarming through pathways and around crates.

I really like the map with the snow, mountains, and the hills and rocks. Lots of flanking, cover, and defilade positions for vehicles. A great map for putting slams on dirt bikes and wrecking vehicles. I hate the jeeps. I had two direct hits in the ass of a tank with the jeep and my slams blew and i died and the tank turned around, "wtf u doin rtrd?"

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular

no

god no

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options

no

god no

How about providing a little reasoning to back up your reaction. What makes you say that so intently?

• Options

no

god no

How about providing a little reasoning to back up your reaction. What makes you say that so intently?

Obliteration is a clusterfuck on 64 players and is near unwinnable unless one team steals all the vehicles.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm not super great at this game or anything, but the new maps seem pretty awesome so far.

Also, I unlocked the SUAV, but I have no idea now to use it to get this assignment done. Anyone know?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Does BF4 support joysticks well? I bought a joystick and throttle to try to use for Planetside 2 and never really got it working well.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    devmandevman Registered User regular

no

god no

Obliteration is a clusterfuck on 64 players and is near unwinnable unless one team steals all the vehicles.

I have to agree, Obliteration is great on 32 player servers, with 64 players you can't really win unless it is already a steamroll (which happens a lot on the Dome), overall it becomes very frustrating.

Roothack.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm not super great at this game or anything, but the new maps seem pretty awesome so far.

Also, I unlocked the SUAV, but I have no idea now to use it to get this assignment done. Anyone know?

Isn't the assignment just "Kill 1 person with the SUAV"? If so, just fly it into someone and you will get a roadkill.

Witchdr wrote: »
    Does BF4 support joysticks well? I bought a joystick and throttle to try to use for Planetside 2 and never really got it working well.

Mine was pretty much just plug and play, I think I changed the trigger button as it had it mapped to something weird instead of the main trigger. Also mine has some weird mapping going on where the throttle on the Joystick is bound to LMB and RMB, so if I move it all the way up I shoot continuously, but I just leave it at neutral since the planes don't really seem to use throttle that way in the game anyway.

I only use it for planes thought, for Helo's I find the mouse and KB a lot more precise.

• Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Orestus wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Isn't the assignment just "Kill 1 person with the SUAV"? If so, just fly it into someone and you will get a roadkill.

Witchdr wrote: »

Mine was pretty much just plug and play, I think I changed the trigger button as it had it mapped to something weird instead of the main trigger. Also mine has some weird mapping going on where the throttle on the Joystick is bound to LMB and RMB, so if I move it all the way up I shoot continuously, but I just leave it at neutral since the planes don't really seem to use throttle that way in the game anyway.

I only use it for planes thought, for Helo's I find the mouse and KB a lot more precise.

Thanks Orestus. Yeha I can pilot choppers without many issues using either KBAM or a game controller, but I've got this sexy joystick and throttle just sitting around doing nothing and I want to try to use it.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Some people (like me) have some issues getting the joystick throttle to work - that seems to be mostly for people with Logitech Extreme 3d Pro sticks. In any case a joystick is super suboptimal for flying, I think - after switching to keyboard only my helicopter performance improved vastly.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/4/5175588/ea-halts-battlefield-4-expansions

Battlefield 4 expansions put on hold until problems with the initial game are fixed.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    So is it just me or is the initial shotgun a piece of arse?

I figured I'd try and get to the Hawk while double XP is still on but holy hell it takes like half a magazine to drop someone.

• Options
    Some people (like me) have some issues getting the joystick throttle to work - that seems to be mostly for people with Logitech Extreme 3d Pro sticks. In any case a joystick is super suboptimal for flying, I think - after switching to keyboard only my helicopter performance improved vastly.

Yeah that is the joystick I have. I would definitely only use it w/ the planes, it does not seem worthwhile for helos at all.

When I fly jets the joystick is only used for control of the plane and the trigger. Everything else (changing weapons, flares, spotting, throttle (W & D) and afterburner) I do w/ my left hand on the keyboard.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    China Rising maps loading substantially quicker than the vanilla maps for anyone else?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    So is it just me or is the initial shotgun a piece of arse?

I figured I'd try and get to the Hawk while double XP is still on but holy hell it takes like half a magazine to drop someone.

Underslung shotguns count for the shotgun kills as well, I just used the M26 until the 870 unlocked

steam_sig.png