As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End] Thread - Your home for Nathan Drake chest hair Fan Service!

zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in Games and Technology
Uncharted_4_Reveal_Wallpaper.jpg

Debut Trailer
"Some chains can never be broken. I lost 15 years. Buried alive. Erased. You left me rotting in that hell hole and never looked back. But you can’t outrun the past, and when it catches up, when all your lies collapse around you, I’ll be there sifting through the wreckage. You owe me."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

Trailer Analysis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AiSo2wtULg

PSX 2014 Gameplay Debut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2cL-pp6p8

Download link can be found HERE

zllehs on

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I hope they focus more on the exploration side of things this time around rather than shooting mans. I ruined SO MANY well tailored black suits in the last one.

• Options
    That IGN way back theater Makes me think that Sir Francis Drake could be in this game.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    CES is a 3.5 hours away and SONY's Scott Rohde is not above a quick tease...

zllehs on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm actually playing Uncharted 3 as we speak.

BdU_TIqIYAAloM1.jpg

I love this game SO much.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Amy Hennig reportedly forced out at Naughty Dogg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/uncharted-ps4-writer-amy-hennig-leaves-naughty-dog

Well looks like the success of the last of us and it's critical acclaim has given these guys the confidence to think that they don't need her?

This is concerning.... It is well documented that she is the reason for how human and relatable those characters feel... Not sure about how much she is responsible for the witty comical banter and the sci-fi twists

Does this mean that we get a more serious uncharted? Closer to the tone of tlou than previous uncharteds ?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really want to know the specifics of this, because if they just up and told her to fuck off because of how well a game that was set in a completely different tone and genre did, then I'm probably going to just be done with Naughty Dog as a developer.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think this comment in the IGN article states my opinion and thoughts about this move:

I know many people posting here are major fans of the series. My wife & I love the uncharted series. With that said, I think some people need to relax a little bit. Hear me out before you give me a down vote I can't see because of IGNs crappy discuss update.

In any industry you're are going to face competition internally. Let it be if you're a writer, developer, artist, or even a CEO. If said competition does a good job chances are your worked will be compared and on the next major business decision their is a good chance they may give said person the project because of recent projects they work on. Now you can handle this two ways. One, accept it and continue to do the best letting your work to continue to speak for you. Or, if your ego is bruised, you can switch positions or even the company.

As stated the writers of the LoU series did great. I'm guessing both writers pitched their ideas and Naughty dog didn't go with Amy. If I was Amy I would be crushed since its been my pet project for almost ten years.However, thats business. Sometimes adding fresh blood to a project can be a breath of life.

Furthermore, I believe Uncharted 3 was the last of Drake's story and thus they want to do something new with a new character. I think they wanted a different direction than what Amy wanted and was told to either conform or find something else to do.

Guess she chose the latter.

Yogo on
  • Options
    Well we have no idea what the direction of the new uncharted was going to be so this is all speculation but I believe that Drake was going to be in it along at least some

But this game is obviously going to change because of her departure... I just hope that it still feels like uncharted in terms of the characters.

• Options
    That's my biggest worry.

The characters she wrote are why I love the series so much. From the first game, I didn't just want "another Uncharted" I wanted to see what Nathan, Sullivan, and Elena did next, and then more of Chloe, because Chloe was hilarious.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    That's my biggest worry.

The characters she wrote are why I love the series so much. From the first game, I didn't just want "another Uncharted" I wanted to see what Nathan, Sullivan, and Elena did next, and then more of Chloe, because Chloe was hilarious.

I think that has more to do with Claudia Black's voice than the character :p

• Options
    That's my biggest worry.

That's my biggest worry.

Thinking about tlou... It had its slightly funny moments but it was a mostly dark game with only 1 completely likeable character in Elle...

All 4 of the main characters in uncharted are likeable... Even the backstabbing Chloe lol

I'd hate to get a story that makes me not like these guys

My dream for uncharted 4 is for Elena and Nathan to be married and have a kid and this guy gets out of jail and comes after Nathan and his family for revenge.

• Options
    I wouldn't want to skip far enough ahead in time that Sullivan was literally "too damn old for this stuff" and not just figuratively "too damn old for this stuff".

Well, there's no real reason to think that the writers of The Last of Us couldn't do something in the same tone that previous Uncharted games have been, we just don't have any proof that I know of that they can so at worst it just makes me uneasy since, Hennig has written these characters for three games, maybe four? Did she write for Golden Abyss?

But the two directors that worked on The Last of Us, did work on Uncharted 1 and 2 as well, so it's not like they aren't familiar with the series at all. I just, think its a shame to see her leave, especially when terms like "forced out" come up.

• Options
    It's not just the writing that makes uncharted, the general care and attention that go in to every aspect of the game make it.

Though I'm probably in the minority in wishing they'd left it at uncharted 3 and started a brand new IP for ps4, even if it's set in the uncharted universe.

• Options
    Game director Justin Richmond leaves Naughty Dog.
    "I have in fact made the decision to leave Naughty Dog," Richmond, who was working on Uncharted 4 as a game director, told IGN. "I love the company and the people and know that they will continue to create awesome games going forward. On a happier note, after careful consideration and exploration I have joined Riot Games. There is some really innovative stuff going on here that I can't wait to be a part of."

So, now we have the writer for Uncharted leaving, and a guy who was directing Uncharted 4 leaving. When does this start raising eyebrows?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    And Actor Todd Stashwick was just recast from Uncharted 4. Todd is helping Amy on the Star Wars game as co-writer.

Yeah..... Naughtydrama. Seriously though. What the heck is going on at ND.

Most likely the project got rebooted.

C2B on
  • Options
    Is it safe to assume that its a pipe dream to see it at E3?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Absolutely

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Geeze. Am having much worries about this game.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well an "insider" disagrees lol
    Uncharted 4 gameplay at E3. Game has been in the works for almost 3 years

PS4 Uncharted “Gameplay” Is Going to Be Shown at E3 According to Insider

zllehs on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Quite a few of Sony's internal studios have shed personnel or talent lately. Makes me wonder if there are some major cost problems with developing some of these next generation games.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Well Infamous Second Son while crazy pretty to look at did feel shallow on content.

Maybe the next gen version of Uncharteds typical baysplosion insanity was looking to be really expensive.

• Options
    Be aware that Todd did 6 months of motion capture and va work already on the game. While they might show something its clear that larger parts of the game will have to be done again.

• Options
    Maybe he finished all he needed to do for the role in that time?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

They recast him entirely. Which likely means a lot more VA and motion capture to replace him, at the minimum.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

They recast him entirely. Which likely means a lot more VA and motion capture to replace him, at the minimum.

Depending on how major his role was.

Still, I have faith the game will be great, I've yet to be let down by them.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Quite a few of Sony's internal studios have shed personnel or talent lately. Makes me wonder if there are some major cost problems with developing some of these next generation games.

Some of the departures have been big but most of them have just been examples of typical videogame industry turnover. The recent Naughty Dog departure, for instance, had only been working at the company for a year or two and his new job is with a Sony second party (the Unfinished Swan devs).There's nothing major going on, just a coincidence that the notable departures all happened around the same period.

Regardless, at this point I'm pretty sure Uncharted 4 has had some major changes to it and has been pushed back to mid 2015 at the earliest. I'm sure there's still enough left to cut a trailer or gameplay footage for E3 though, as those are always made up out of vertical slices anyway.

Still disappointed that Amy Hennig's new job is at fucking Visceral working on Stars Wars games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    And another Lead left. Michael Knowland, Lead Charachter Artist of TLOU.

Shame, his work on TLOU was great.

C2B on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Visceral is an awesome company. I don't know why you're making them sound like they're trash.

• Options

Still disappointed that Amy Hennig's new job is at fucking Visceral working on Stars Wars games.

Yes, how awful that one of the best writers in the business is writing a Star Wars game for a company whose Sci Fi game resume just includes the Dead Space series.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Here's hoping they get the "gameplay" aspect right in this one. Enjoyed playing 2. 3 looked gorgeous but holy shit did they screw up the difficulty values. Many situations that were just instant fails - stick your head out of cover for a split second and get shot down, or stay in cover and take a grenade to the face and die. Too much randomness, to unbalanced.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

Holy shit
    Ok I think it's time for some answers now.

It's like every week it feels like now.

• Options
    zllehs wrote: »

Holy shit

Weren't the two teams split? I.e one working on The Last of Us and one on Uncharted 4. Is it so unusual for people to move on after big projects?

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Yes, how awful that one of the best writers in the business is writing a Star Wars game for a company whose Sci Fi game resume just includes the Dead Space series.

Did I say they make bad games? No. but the fact remains that they won't be working on Dead Space or any original IPs for a long time, unless EA suddenly changes their mind. One team's working on Battlefield, the other on Star Wars. So yeah, I'm disappointed that someone with her talent ended up there because it really doesn't interest me at all.
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Holy shit

Weren't the two teams split? I.e one working on The Last of Us and one on Uncharted 4. Is it so unusual for people to move on after big projects?

Yeah, they had two teams. And it's extremely common to see developers move on after big projects.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Holy shit

No not uncommon
    But is it Common for this many To leave a studio in such a short amount of time?

Hell as far as uncharted 4 goes the only 3 people who we were told were involved in the project have all left.

• Options
    ‘The Order 1886’ and ‘Uncharted 4’ publisher teases E3 2014 reveals

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-order-1886-and-uncharted-4-publisher-teases-e3-2014-reveals

• Options
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    uncharted.png

"For we receive the due rewards of our deeds"

I.E. What happens to thieves.
    Cross-posting from E3 thread.

Also, there are now 2 Uncharted threads. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Concept Art
    More HERE

tumblr_ncou8ktOGT1sposb4o5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ncou8ktOGT1sposb4o6_1280.png

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, despite all the behind the scene trubs, the trailer for A Thief's End had a helluva tone. The Sully banter is as lighthearted as ever, but over footage of Drake fucked up and alone in the dark, after the happy and final ending of 3, and with that title... Expecting something a little more grim here. Hopefully not into Last of Us territory, because I don't play Uncharted to feel bad. But maybe we're gonna see Drake with less selfish motives now, I don't expect him to be getting back into things without a very good reason.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the main Uncharted thread, but whatevs. I have a PS4, this series looks rad, I never played the first three though. Why they aren't on PlayStation Now I have no clue.

That said, looking at that trailer,
    Drake's brother looks way too close to David from TLoU for me to ever trust him. That guy's going to double cross Drake and be the main villain, calling it now.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com