As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camera that uploads to Dropbox

I'm taking a lot of iPhone pictures of my baby, which is convenient as it uploads straight to Dropbox. The camera isn't very good, so I'd like to take slightly better pictures - just point and shoot, but with a higher megapixel rating. But I'd really like a camera that can upload straight to Dropbox via wifi without having to plug it into my computer.

Does such a product exist?

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I haven't used them so can't comment on reliability/etc, but there are WiFi SD cards that can be used in any camera that takes SD cards to allow auto-uploading of photos.

http://www.eye.fi/

You should be able to use it to auto-upload to dropbox indirectly through your computer: https://x2help.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/477713-Save-to-Dropbox
    Not sure if there's any way to have it automatically go there absent the computer.

• Options
    ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    I've used the eye-fi card, and you could set it up to do what you want, mostly. You would just make sure that the folder where the photos are uploaded is under your dropbox folder. Unfortunately, the card only uploads photos automatically if you're within range of a known wifi connection (you have to set the card up with your connections, just like you have to with any other device). There wasn't a convenient way to set up a new connection without a computer. If you're taking a ton of pictures at your house, it's great. If you take a lot of pictures away from a wifi hotspot, it will try to upload all of them the next time you take a picture within range of the hotspot, and that didn't always work so well in my experience. There's some sort of cloud storage solution that you can get (I don't remember the cost), but it just takes your computer out of the equation. You still have to be near a wifi connection.

Also, check that it's compatible with the camera you want to use it in. The camera has to support power to the SD card for a certain amount of time for the upload to work. They have a compatibility list somewhere on their site.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I only want to use it at my house. I don't want to have to have the computer on to use it.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Samsung has a line of cameras called the "Galaxy Camera". They run Android (Jelly Bean) and will automatically sync with Dropbox the way your phone does.

I haven't actually taken pictures with one, but the image sensor seems decent? Obviously, this seems like it's overkill for your specific need, but it will do exactly what you want, and I've read that it comes with 50gb of Dropbox storage. Not sure if this is still true.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the are a bunch of smart cameras from samsung that will upload to dropbox

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Galaxy Camera is way more expensive than I was wanting. I would like <$150. This is just for baby snaps.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    The iPhone actually has a pretty good camera. You may want to play around with a point and shoot before buying one BC the cheap ones may not give you a big image quality boost. The main thing dedicated cameras will give you is optical zoom which the smartphone doesn't have.

So 1st point - if you're using the iPhone and zooming, STOP. Instead get closer to the baby and see if that gets you a picture you can live with.

If still not enough, consider a Sony Smart Lens.... Its basically a Bluetooth or wifi camera that connects to your smartphone and gives it the optical zoom it was missing. They're available on Amazon.

• Options
    illig wrote: »
    The iPhone actually has a pretty good camera.

So 1st point - if you're using the iPhone and zooming, STOP. Instead get closer to the baby and see if that gets you a picture you can live with.

This is a very interesting tip. I will try this. All I really want is pictures that look nice when printed out.