As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A God Damned Separate Thread For Your Discussion About Snark And Smarm

Since this is a subject that comes up time and time again, it's worth giving it a thread.

Recently, Gawker published a a very well written polemic by Tom Scocca about two rhetorical forms - snark and smarm. And his main thesis is that while most criticism is leveled at snark, the dangerous one is really smarm.

It's a thesis that I agree with. And it becomes apparent when you look at how the forms work. Snark cuts. It both incises and excises, though how cleanly it does so is dependant on the skill of the practitioner. And in doing so, it can cut through barriers and layers of argumentative disguise to get at the truth of an argument. It is no surprise that snark is the tool of the underdog.

Smarm, on the other hand:
What is smarm, exactly? Smarm is a kind of performance—an assumption of the forms of seriousness, of virtue, of constructiveness, without the substance. Smarm is concerned with appropriateness and with tone. Smarm disapproves.
Smarm would rather talk about anything other than smarm. Why, smarm asks, can’t everyone just be nicer?

Smarm is the tool not just of the status quo, but of those who would be gatekeepers of discussion. It prizes form over function, style over substance. It excludes those who don't know the proper forms but have knowledge, while elevating those who weave those forms into a tapestry of nothing. And it is this that makes smarm much more dangerous than snark.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Oh, yeah, this thread is going to be great. Did you type it up all by yourself?

is a demonstration of snark

*bows*

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    That is a false dichotomy.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i'm still having trouble understanding/distinguishing the two.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

*bows*

Actually, it's not:
    Snark is often conflated with cynicism, which is a troublesome misreading. Snark may speak in cynical terms about a cynical world, but it is not cynicism itself. It is a theory of cynicism.
    The practice of cynicism is smarm.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Smarm is more like concern trolling.

Snark is like sneering sarcasm.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

*bows*

Actually, it's not:
    Snark is often conflated with cynicism, which is a troublesome misreading. Snark may speak in cynical terms about a cynical world, but it is not cynicism itself. It is a theory of cynicism.
    The practice of cynicism is smarm.

wait are you being snarky now

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i don't know what smarm is here

"smarmy" is always pejorative

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    so like... smarm is more concerned with attacking/discrediting the form or style of a message than the actual substance of that message?

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

One is good and the other is bad.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

The one i'm doing is good.

The one the other guy is doing is bad.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

i think it's one is bad and the other is insidious

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Seems like this distinction is slicing the baloney pretty thin, and practice of (and practitioners of) both generally make a given debate worse off. Largely because snark on one side begets smarm on the other. Maybe in the same conversation, definitely in the larger issue or cultural context.

If you (anonymous hypothetical debater) have something worthwhile to say in good faith or a valid criticism I'd rather you just say it without attempting to win cleverness points for the Internet peanut gallery.

A lot of times I'll see something well reasoned that I would agree with, if not for the speaker being a fuckwit. And I suppose the it point still stands, but my antipathy towards the speaker sours it. More often the snark/smarm/whatever is a cover for not being well reasoned, or for making broad claims about complex issues.

As far as I'm concerned, my favorite debaters on these boards (from both sides of the aisle) generally avoid it. I lean liberal; and if I'm hearing a conservative point I'm more likely to understand, appreciate, and consider it if, of course, the speaker isn't being a jerk.

One man's snark is another man's smarm.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Smarm, if my poor brain understands it, is an Appeal to Authority. Or From Authority.

Snark is like a backhanded compliment.

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Snark = Stewart/Colbert

Smarm = "How dare Stewart/Colbert have the audacity to attack my views. I was simply stating what I believe, and this is America, isn't it? Isn't this a free country?"
    "This is why nobody respects liberals. They can't be civil."

The article is fantastic. And is does acknowledge that snark can go wrong, but argues that it is not in and of itself bad. Smarm is trying to prevent people from being snarky = promoting the idea that all things are above mockery, therefore protecting that which deserves to be mocked.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2013
    I don't know where I am any more!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Snark, at its most blunt, is Zoidberg's admonition to Fry at his performance - "Your music is bad and you should feel bad."

Smarm is admonishing the lobster not because of the truthfulness of the first statement, but because of the tone of the second.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think snark is a useful too for disarming an argument presented in bad faith. I honestly think it's even more useful than reasoned response, in certain cases.

Consider a discussion of tax policy. Someone comes in and proposes that taxes should be lowered to promote economic growth. You disagree. What follows is a polite discourse on economic matters. Yay, communication. Now someone else comes in and argues that all tax is theft and that modern society is a construction of the Illuminati designed to enslaves free thinkers. Are you really going to win this person over? Is engaging with him honestly going to result in anything? Are there people out there who are going to witness your conversation and derive any useful knowledge? No. And by engaging this person's crazy delusions, you're just going to lend him legitimacy. You're better off dismissing him and going about your business. He's going to bleat about how you're a stupid sheeple, but he's going to do that no matter what. Judicious application of snark not only neuters his attempt to derail a potentially interesting discussion, it communicates to others that his ideas are so stupid that they're worthy of ridicule. Because they are.

Snark is also useful for addressing concern trolling, or other bad arguments. Done well, it's also hilarious.

Vive la snark!

Smarm is just... smarmy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    '"Spock sprightly snarked my shlocky smock, purchased at s-mart," she smarmed.'

I prefer the original terms applied to smarm and snark, "being a stupid asshole" and "being an asshole who is also correct."

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    what about grumpkins

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    That is a long article.

I feel like snark and smarm have not been defined fully, and this is leading to some misunderstanding.
    Like every other mode, snark can sometimes be done badly or to bad purposes.

Smarm, on the other hand, is never a force for good.

My understanding is that snark and smarm are both criticisms, in that they are pointing out something that is believed to be wrong.

However, snark signifies the tone of the criticism, while smarm signifies the target (the tone of something (hence why smarm is often a response to snark (parentheses!))).

Additionally, I believe that the above quote's definition of smarm includes a purpose for smarm, which is to stifle "unpleasant" arguments. Assuming that this is, by definition, what smarm is, then I think we can safely say that yes, smarm is bad. But people seem to often use "smarm" interchangeably with "criticism of tone," sans the implied purpose.

Which leads me to the next point: is criticism of tone itself always bad?
    I can't recall ever, unless compelled by duty, rereading a Malcolm Gladwell article. What I have reread is Mencken on the Scopes Trial, Hunter Thompson on Richard Nixon, and Dorothy Parker on most things—to say nothing of Orwell on poverty and Du Bois on racism, or David Foster Wallace on the existential horror of a leisure cruise.

Although the author does not explicitly state this, I have to believe that the works mentioned would not have been as effective if they had been written in the tone of a Gladwell article. However, what is required to be "effective" depends on a number of factors. I can think of three big ones:
    - audience: does your audience already agree, disagree, or not have an opinion yet? Is it the person you are speaking to or a third party? A group or an individual?
    - purpose: are you looking to convince, entertain, attack?
    - mode of communication: are you speaking? Writing? Is it an article, a show, a blog post, a book, a riot?

As an example, what if you are arguing with an individual and your purpose is to convince, your medium is a show or article, and your audience is NOT that individual?

What if you change your audience to people that already at least lean to your side and your purpose is to strengthen their conviction?

What if your audience is the person that you are arguing with?

What if your purpose is to release some frustration?

Personally I think tone is a valid target of criticism in all of these situations (yes, even that last one), provided that the criticism is actually constructive and aimed at making your communication more effective. Of course, this by no means is meant to suggest that criticism of tone always equals "be more polite." In fact, sometimes the opposite may be the correct suggestion.

Next on analyzing rhetorical tools: brevity!

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Criticism of tone is not always bad, but is smarmy (and bad) when it attempts to deflect a real argument, when it is intellectually dishonest, or when it is harmfully ignorant. The tone doesn't even have to be a real issue to illicit smarminess. Example:

"Vaccines give kids autism! Don't vaccinate your children!"
    "There's no scientific proof for what you're saying, and this unproven belief is leading to the return of harmful diseases." <not snarky, direct and to the point
    "Look, you have your sources, and I have mine. I don't understand why you're always trying to inflict your opinion on other people."

Even if you dare to call an opinion out as "stupid", you're entire argument is dumped because LALALALALALA AD HOMINEM ATTACK I GUESS YOU'RE TOO IMMATURE TO HAVE A REAL, LEVEL-HEADED CONVERSATION
    about whether or not Obama is actually a gay Kenyan lizard.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Language is its own gatekeeper

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    My main problem with the piece is that it seemed to conflate negativity and disagreement with snark. I don’t think that there’s any particularly natural sense of the term snark in which those are coextensive. Negativity and disagreement are obviously valuable responses to negative and disagreeable things–I think the piece was on its strongest feet when diagnosing the flaws in our political discourse, which suppresses honest disagreement in favor of broad platitude. But this has little to do with snark. Many extremely critical, and extremely cogent social commentaries have been entirely snark-free. Whether snark considered in itself is valuable is a question with a much less obvious answer.

• Options
    '"Spock sprightly snarked my shlocky smock, purchased at s-mart," she smarmed.'

I prefer the original terms applied to smarm and snark, "being a stupid asshole" and "being an asshole who is also correct."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl5aYhkF3E

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Maybe it's just me, but I personally find snark very off-putting when it's used by anyone other than a comedian, even when I otherwise agree with the speaker's/author's point. At best, it makes me think the speaker would be an intelligent-yet-insufferable grump in-person; at worst, the speaker gives the impression that they are ignorant but are trying to discredit a more well-informed person by making them look foolish.

I started looking into feminist ideas and writings a few months ago, back when we were having a lot of threads about the topic both in G&T and D&D. I feel like I've gained a greater respect for and understanding of feminism, but I still can't help but associate the movement with a nearly unbearable level of snarkiness. I unsurprisingly found a lot of snark in BitchFest, a collection of articles from Bitch Magazine, as well as Jezebel (which is part of Gawker Media).

My point is that snark works well when the audience already agrees with you, but it can be hit or miss when the audience is on-the-fence. Some may be convinced to your position, but others can take it to form a negative impression of you. I know I for years didn't take feminism very seriously because of how unceasingly vitriolic and aggressive the movement's members seemed, an impression that didn't change until I was pointed in the "#1 Reason Why" threads here on Penny Arcade to articles written in a tone a bit less aggressive than the "I'm a bitch/proud of it/fuck patriarchy" approach I had seen before.

I can understand why so many articles are written in a combative, snarky tone; I'm sure it's very cathartic. But I can also understand why someone who isn't already in the choir could conflate feminists with anarcho-primitivists and PETA.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    speaking of terms:

what exactly is "concern trolling"

I only ever see it used on this forum and honestly I don't really get it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    speaking of terms:

I've really only ever seen it used on sites like Jezebel or certain Tumblr blogs, where it seems to mean that a person who hates fat people (and I assume other people who are medically considered at-risk for ill health, like smokers) will say things like "Don't you understand that's bad for your health?" because they want the other party to feel bad rather than out of genuine concern (though it seems like at least some of Jezebel's contributors honestly believe being overweight or obese actually isn't bad for you). In regards to overweight people this is known as "fatshaming".

Personally, it seems like the people who accuse others of "concern trolling" are, more often than not, just trying to assign malicious motives to negative commentary so they can more easily dismiss them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Care to elaborate?

I think neither is any use in debate, although snark makes us feel better.

I'm not convinced smarm even exists. It seemed like an attack on politeness and positivity by someone who just wants to be snarky. The article's definition did not match my experience - rather it seemed to be written by someone who just doesn't get sincere but polite disagreement and writes it off as smarm.

It's a false dichotomy because we don't have to choose between them. Neither is of much value. One is funny, the other one is perhaps fictional.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    smarm is whatever tucker carlson is

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    I'm not convinced smarm even exists. It seemed like an attack on politeness and positivity by someone who just wants to be snarky. The article's definition did not match my experience - rather it seemed to be written by someone who just doesn't get sincere but polite disagreement and writes it off as smarm.
    Do you think the tweets used as examples of smarm in the article represent "sincere but polite disagreement" with the statements they are responding to?

• Options

Care to elaborate?

I think neither is any use in debate, although snark makes us feel better.

It's a false dichotomy because we don't have to choose between them. Neither is of much value. One is funny, the other one is perhaps fictional.

That most vicious of all Southern curses, "bless your heart", captures the essence of smarm. It appears to be polite, but it's meant to establish authority and put the target in their place, all under a veneer of gentility. (Southern culture as a whole is quite smarmy, as the genteel surface covers a rigid and vicious hierarchy.)

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    speaking of terms:

Concern trolling is "Just asking questions", often with the pretence that they would be happy to accept "Global Warming is true/Evolution happens/etc" if they could just get their last few concerns cleared up. The thing that separates them from someone who is genuinely seeking answers is that often the questions they are asking have been exhaustively answered previously as a simple google search would show and the concern troll will simply switch to asking another question, or pig headedly refuse to accept the answer to their first when presented with a comprehensive or inarguable answer.

In this post-Usenet age it's probably the pinnacle of trolling now that you can no longer cross post as well meaning people will often write lots and lots in response to the troll who has just copy pasted his question off a "skeptics" site.

So the classic Concern Troll goes "I've been reading up on global warming and I kind of understand what the scientists are saying but I have this one concern..."

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    speaking of terms:

I've really only ever seen it used on sites like Jezebel or certain Tumblr blogs, where it seems to mean that a person who hates fat people (and I assume other people who are medically considered at-risk for ill health, like smokers) will say things like "Don't you understand that's bad for your health?" because they want the other party to feel bad rather than out of genuine concern (though it seems like at least some of Jezebel's contributors honestly believe being overweight or obese actually isn't bad for you). In regards to overweight people this is known as "fatshaming".

Personally, it seems like the people who accuse others of "concern trolling" are, more often than not, just trying to assign malicious motives to negative commentary so they can more easily dismiss them.
    My understanding is that a "concern troll" is an accusation of False Flag - criticism of an argument or position has been raised by someone who supposedly support the principles behind that argument or position. The accusation is that the "concern troll" doesn't actually support those principles, but in reality trying to undermine the cause from within - hence malicious motives.

The examples I've seen usually takes the form of:

Person 1: [Policy/Group/Gaming Platform X] is terrible. It has [Flaws A]. You should should support [Policy/Group/Gaming Platform Y].
    Person 2: [Policy/Group/Gaming Platform Y] isn't perfect either. It has [Flaws B].
    Person 1: How dare you say X is worse than/the same as Y! I dismiss your criticisms (you concern troll).

There is something to be said for "the perfect is the enemy of the good" - just because something has flaws doesn't mean it's not the best option available (e.g. "Defund obamacare! It's unfair to [smaller population than the group it benefits]!"). It's also fairly common that [Flaws B] are unconnected to, or do not diminish the impact of, [Flaws A] . Just because [Flaws B] exist does not necessarily mean we should not be upset about [Flaws A], or take no action (e.g. "Why are you angry with unrealistic depictions of women in comics? There are also unrealistic depictions of men!")

However, the "concern troll" can also be used to deflect any criticism - so [Flaws B] get ignored or unaddressed. e.g. Group X goes around stealing lunch money, Group Y makes smarmy forum posts. I'd hope it's possible to prevent both lunch money theft AND smarmy forum posts.

Edit: to clarify, my comments are regarding the accusation of "concern troll" (which is used inappropriately as a defense more often than I would like). Actual "concern trolls" tend to be as Alistair Hutton describes above, and are also incredibly annoying.

Archangle on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    My point is that snark works well when the audience already agrees with you, but it can be hit or miss when the audience is on-the-fence. Some may be convinced to your position, but others can take it to form a negative impression of you.

1) This is my view as well. I tend to enjoy engaging with people who are very different from me (Chinese conservatives, American conservatives, religious people, people with what I regard as weird views on justice or causality or whatever, etc), and as such I tend to avoid snark. It's a rhetorical device that's used to affect an audience and to mock an interlocutor and it's not great for an enlightening engagement with someone.

2) I also think that while snark is something one is cognizant of as one engages in it, smarm isn't necessarily so. It's something that is based on an appeal to authority and the like, but it's something one can engage in while being sincere and (from the smarmer's perspective) on the level. That is, I think it's something that can appear dishonest while it isn't necessarily so. It might be coming from someones privilege and/or ignorance or something similar rather than from someone being disingenuous. (Although, of course, it might be something one does disingenuously as well).

I tend to see an annoying interaction between (1) and (2) in message boards and similar forums (online or otherwise) a lot, where there are potentially sincere smarmers who are engaged by snarkers and non-snarkers alike. They tend to bristle at the snarkers at the expense of the potential for engagement by the non-snarkers.

I don't think I've ever been accused of being smarmy per se, but I wonder if my preoccupation with tone might make me appear that way to others.

EDIT: Or maybe I am smarmy?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Concern trolling is when pundits talk how "uncivil" Obama is when dealing with Republicans, and how the tone of Democrats rhetoric when talking about Republicans shutting down the government, trying to destroy ACA, or denying aid to hurricane victims.

Basically the one concern trolling just ignores any actual content, meaning, or sanity, and attacks someone for the most superficial and meaningless things in order to shut them up, ignore their points or try to make a "both sides do it" false equivalency argument.

Snark is valuable, but needs to be used carefully.
    However, there is a point where people need to stop coddling idiots and mercilessly mock them and point out just how fucking stupid they are.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    The problem with snark is that it generally requires an audience who a) already like you and b) mostly already agree with you in order to be more effective that simple polite discourse.

I still don't quite get the smarm thing.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    speaking of terms:

Concern trolling is "Just asking questions", often with the pretence that they would be happy to accept "Global Warming is true/Evolution happens/etc" if they could just get their last few concerns cleared up. The thing that separates them from someone who is genuinely seeking answers is that often the questions they are asking have been exhaustively answered previously as a simple google search would show and the concern troll will simply switch to asking another question, or pig headedly refuse to accept the answer to their first when presented with a comprehensive or inarguable answer.

In this post-Usenet age it's probably the pinnacle of trolling now that you can no longer cross post as well meaning people will often write lots and lots in response to the troll who has just copy pasted his question off a "skeptics" site.

So the classic Concern Troll goes "I've been reading up on global warming and I kind of understand what the scientists are saying but I have this one concern..."

This is the definition I've always known.

It happened a lot more on this forum back when gay marriage and DADT were still big debate topics.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Is concern trolling:
    'If queer people would just act straighter, then all these mean people would be so mean to them'
    Or
    'Feminists shouldn't use agressive language during internal discussions, because it might alienate outsider who stumble upon their blog.'

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Is concern trolling:
    'If queer people would just act straighter, then all these mean people would be so mean to them'
    Or
    'Feminists shouldn't use agressive language during internal discussions, because it might alienate outsider who stumble upon their blog.'

I've always interpreted it as the latter.