As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    One thing I was thinking about was combining an open world game with Civilization - you pull the terrain for your open world map from a hex strategic map, and you keep your current hex and 6 surrounding hexes loaded.

Elder Scrolls or Mount and Blade gameplay combined with a Civilization like turned based strategy game that influences the open world, and what you do in the open world for the hex influences the strategic map.

While not the same thing you're talking about, it made me think of all the amazing things they could do if Lionhead made Black & White 3. What I wouldn't give to be on the production team for that. XD

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Just finished the space shooter beginner tutorial on the unity tuts page. These are so much better than when I started a couple of years ago. I can see recommending this to a total beginner rather than starting with a training wheels engine like Stencyl. This one doesn't use the 2d engine features, instead it uses an orthographic cam and 3d objects constrained in a plane so it is very simple. Also uses the old gui instead of the new one but the tutorial has some text instructions for the changes between the old version and the 4.6 gui.

I could do all of this stuff already without the instructions but I did learn some neat stuff like how to open the online documentation from monodevelop by select a keyword and typing cmd+singlequote

also learned a bit about 3d lighting which I know nothing about

the project comes with some nice assets which have a permissive license as long as they are used in Unity engine projects

final project here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221516245/Unity Tutorials Final/Space Shooter/space-shooter-final/space-shooter-final.html

arrows/wasd moves, control shoots - no real gameplay but it shows potential and is a really good learning tool

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Man, the FMOD studio tutorials from FMOD are all the fuck over the place.

They skip over some really important FMOD-specific stuff in favour of droning on for long stretches of minutes about really basic ideas of sound and DAW. Like, who do they think is going to be trying to learn the specifics of FMOD studio, and will need a detailed breakdown of what a signal path is, or what the difference between pre- and post- fader sends is?

• Options
    I seriously can't wait for GameMaker: Studio 2.0. This non-tab crap frustrates so much. I just.. see a lot of workflow being spent moving windows around and it gets super annoying. I should not be spending most of my production time moving windows around to see what is going on with my code.

GML is great but the UI for this software is ass-backwards.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is there a way to influence particle systems with variables? For example, a particle system whose spawn rate varies based on a float determined in another blueprint?

I found this, but I have yet to find any other particle component that has Set up Particle Parameter as an option, which makes the documentation seem misleading as to how easy this is expected to be.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Is there a way to influence particle systems with variables? For example, a particle system whose spawn rate varies based on a float determined in another blueprint?

I found this, but I have yet to find any other particle component that has Set up Particle Parameter as an option, which makes the documentation seem misleading as to how easy this is expected to be.

That page's last revision was in July of 2014, soooo I'm guessing they abandoned that setup for the current one??? Anyway-

Yes - any distribution particle vector parameter or distribution particle float parameter can be set via blueprint using the set float and set vector parameter nodes. Nothing as complex as the link there is necessary- just need a reference to the particle system and the name of the parameter you're trying to set (remember to name it!)

The same technique can be used to drive material parameters on a per-object basis if you create a dynamic material instance in the object's BP and assign it to the object (otherwise, the parameters will be across all objects with that material!)

9IQM0ma.jpg

9YT95xx.jpg

(obv just plug whatever you want into the value, I'm turning the emitter off here)

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Also, a question for all y'all using UE4: are there any good tutorials out there that go over all the weirder material functions? Stuff like SphereMask and VectorToRadialValue.

If not.... would you watch a tutorial series on them?? Thinkin' about doing one

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ah! Perfect. I figured it had to be something much simpler than that link. Next question - is there a way to set the pivot/origin point of your particles? For a radial sunburst, all the particles should rotate around the emitter point, but if the pivot of the particles is at .5, .5 then all the particles overlap in the center.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I finally found it under Location > Pivot Offset.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    YoYogames took Particle Physics out of GameMaker, so I end up writing my own, which is tedious and not efficient at all. Particle systems with GM:S work faster because the drawing is handled by a single entity, in order to have physics I have to have instances for each particle so that it can retain properties to manipulate. On Windows this is not an issue for performance but once you start looking at HTML5 or Mobile platforms.... game over.

Also, it's Screenshot Saturday so I thought I would switch it up a bit. Instead of screenshots of the current game digitally, I thought I would share some notes I have on paper. I've found a lot of developers who never finish games or get stuck don't actually plan their games out, and I think it's a testament to "Paper before Pixel" which is something I just made up.

cb6cwYK.png

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll never not love graph paper notes. It's mostly dungeon master nostalgia

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    Also, a question for all y'all using UE4: are there any good tutorials out there that go over all the weirder material functions? Stuff like SphereMask and VectorToRadialValue.

If not.... would you watch a tutorial series on them?? Thinkin' about doing one

do it

you raging material lord

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I'll never not love graph paper notes. It's mostly dungeon master nostalgia

Totally. There is something awesome about grid paper. I always have some with me.

This UI kit from UI Stencils is fucking SEXY.
    http://www.uistencils.com/products/the-ui-stencils-starter-pack

H7PggGl.png

And they have all kinds of neat stuff. Sadly I print out the free stuff from http://www.interfacesketch.com because I am broke as shit.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Uh, where did this guys post go? lol.
    xcgxc wrote: »
    Did someone post a link to a Youtube channel with Gamemaker tutorials, or did I just imagine that? Think I'll take Gamemaker for a spin this weekend. 7enec88ttz

This guy makes solid tutorials.

Basic intro to GameMaker:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMNunoPd0o

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    One thing I was thinking about was combining an open world game with Civilization - you pull the terrain for your open world map from a hex strategic map, and you keep your current hex and 6 surrounding hexes loaded.

Elder Scrolls or Mount and Blade gameplay combined with a Civilization like turned based strategy game that influences the open world, and what you do in the open world for the hex influences the strategic map.

I actually had an idea recently that I had never seen done, which was marrying a turn-based strategy with a first person shooter. Not like Valkyria Chronicles or Codename STEAM which just looks like an action game but still follows turn-based movement rules, but something akin to Total War which has a turn-based grand strategy map and instead of switching to an RTS for battles, would drop you you into a battle like a giant game of Battlefield(1942 is still the best one) or Planetside wherever you are fighting at. But that might be boring as a single player game because those shooters are better with real people instead of bot armies and that idea wouldn't work too well multiplayer when you would need a multitude more soldiers than commanders.

I don't know, your idea just reminded me of that. Good luck with making yours though, I would totally play it.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Finished up my level select UI today. I'll pick up finishing animating it on Monday, since I take Sundays to prototype other things. I am actually more happy about the navigation menu animation that nearly the entire game, haha. It's been fun making neat effects.

The difficulty I landed on was the fact that the game has 100 levels, and I will be releasing packs of 50 levels as time goes on. With that much volume I had a few options but none of them felt right. So after some experimenting I decided to break down the volume into bite-sized delivery "chunks" so while the player doesn't get all the levels on the screen at one time, it's very easy for them to navigate through "chunks" to determine which levels they need to play. This design also allows me to really keep the seamless transfers/transitions from area to area that is core to the gameplay experience.

(It looks smaller here, but it is very sharp and just the right size on mobile)
    tnINI6q.png

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Hourences had a really good list of material node/function definitions for UDK/UE3, and most of them still apply

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Is there a good tutorial for making an Asteroids-style game in UE4? I've tried to make a game before in Unity, but the difficulty of getting something working eventually made me drop it, so I'd like to get a basic Asteroids-style thing up that I can fiddle with.

• Options
    Is there a good tutorial for making an Asteroids-style game in UE4? I've tried to make a game before in Unity, but the difficulty of getting something working eventually made me drop it, so I'd like to get a basic Asteroids-style thing up that I can fiddle with.

The new Unity video tutorials are REALLY good. I say this from having started learning 2.5 years go and its gotten so much better.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter is top-down shooter but it would be very straightforward to transition it to asteroids style.

I made this 3d version in a couple of hours from scratch: (no shadows in webplayer sadly)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221516245/flyingovergroundthingy/flyingoverground-a1/flyingoverground/flyingoverground.html
    arrows move, control shoots

If you want I can give you the project to play with.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

The new Unity video tutorials are REALLY good. I say this from having started learning 2.5 years go and its gotten so much better.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter is top-down shooter but it would be very straightforward to transition it to asteroids style.

I made this 3d version in a couple of hours from scratch: (no shadows in webplayer sadly)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221516245/flyingovergroundthingy/flyingoverground-a1/flyingoverground/flyingoverground.html
    arrows move, control shoots

If you want I can give you the project to play with.

Sorry for not being more clear. I used to use unity but I'm trying out UE4 now, so I'm looking for a tutorial on that. Thanks for your help though, it would have been great a few months ago when I was getting stuck in unity

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This is kind of tangential to the topic, but touches it just enough to be relevant.

Please, fellow game developers. Please. If you are developing a metroidvania, remember the cardinal rule of the genre: the player must always be able to go back and get everything. Ori and the Blind Forest violates this rule; if you zig instead of zag at certain points, you'll trigger a scripted sequence and an auto-save that locks you out of certain areas that might contain items that count toward 100% completion and oh my fuck it is so annoying.

If I can stop one future metroidvania game from making this boneheaded mistake by saying that here, then I have to. Seriously. If you're going to track completion percent, let the player go back and pick up everything.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I've been saying this since I saw the gameplay - Ori and the Blind Forest doesn't look like a Metroidvania to me. There is more to a metroid game than being a platformer with a large world and permanent upgrades.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I have no idea what other genre you'd class it as.

EDIT: Detail is good!

I mean, I realize that Ori controls way closer to Meat Boy than Samus. But insofar as OatBF is really strongly defined by the way you get new navigational tools that open up different pathways all over, including areas you've already been to to encourage further exploration and collection of upgrades, and the fact that its Achievement array is almost entirely about "get all the things and/or get very few things and win quickly", it feels about as Metroid as it gets. Call it Super Meatroid if you want. But, yeah. If it isn't a metroidvania, I have no idea what the hell it is.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    On the topic of metroidvania, how would you guys classify a zelda type game, is there a generic term. Action-Adventure is too broad for the zelda formula, these are games with specific mechanics. Is link to the past is almost a top-down metroidvania?

If zelda was on steam what tag would you give it, what genre is it?

Handkor on
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    I have no idea what other genre you'd class it as.

EDIT: Detail is good!

I mean, I realize that Ori controls way closer to Meat Boy than Samus. But insofar as OatBF is really strongly defined by the way you get new navigational tools that open up different pathways all over, including areas you've already been to to encourage further exploration and collection of upgrades, and the fact that its Achievement array is almost entirely about "get all the things and/or get very few things and win quickly", it feels about as Metroid as it gets. Call it Super Meatroid if you want. But, yeah. If it isn't a metroidvania, I have no idea what the hell it is.

I had a similar issue with Outland on the Xbox. Yeah, the areas are large and you get progressive enhancements, but the world isn't interconnected. It's a very linear game, and there's no compelling reason to backtrack except for pickups. There's no way to explore areas before you're "supposed to". Abilities gained later in the game don't unlock exploration opportunities from previous areas. You'll never get lost and wonder where you need to go next.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    This is kind of tangential to the topic, but touches it just enough to be relevant.

Please, fellow game developers. Please. If you are developing a metroidvania, remember the cardinal rule of the genre: the player must always be able to go back and get everything. Ori and the Blind Forest violates this rule; if you zig instead of zag at certain points, you'll trigger a scripted sequence and an auto-save that locks you out of certain areas that might contain items that count toward 100% completion and oh my fuck it is so annoying.

If I can stop one future metroidvania game from making this boneheaded mistake by saying that here, then I have to. Seriously. If you're going to track completion percent, let the player go back and pick up everything.

I cannot, for the life of me, find it but I swear that I read somewhere that the devs were going to fix that exact problem.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    On the topic of metroidvania, how would you guys classify a zelda type game, is there a generic term. Action-Adventure is too broad for the zelda formula, these are games with specific mechanics. Is link to the past is almost a top-down metroidvania?

I think that metroidvania wouldn't be wrong. It is an open world with hard locks that require visiting one part of the game to open up other parts.

That said I don't think its possible to categorize modern games with a single "genre" word anymore. In the olden days games had to be built on such a small resource budget that they necessarily had to be feature conservative. But now every game can do every damn thing.

I think a better way to classify games is to list the most important features. I only played LoZ NES but I assume Link to the Past follows the same formula.
    • top down
    • real time
    • open world w/ hard locks
    • ammo for special attacks
    • fixed character progression (hearts)

Btw while looking stuff up I found this sweet article about Super Metroid: http://nickkooy.blogspot.com/2011/05/20-reasons-why-super-metroid-is.html

worth a read for the soft lock/hard lock comparison.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I would say that LttP would be more of a traditional rpg, and that is using the old definition of rpg. Now pretty much if your character has stats in some way, it is an rpg.
    Handkor wrote: »

For all of the things that steam does right, the oversaturation of tags that it gives games is not one of them. When I click on strategy games I expect to not see any FPS games, but counterstrike and arma 3 pop right up.

The biggest problem I have is that newer games are trying to claim that they have everything, but the past few years people have hated games to the extent that hasn't been seen before. In my opinion developers need to refocus what they are doing, because it's mind blowing when you read "first person" and "third person" in the tags for the same damn game. Pick one and make it awesome, don't throw in 2 half assed things so you can get an extra tag.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I've always called Zelda a Action RPG. more specifically a puzzle-based Action RPG

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Tssssk, nonsense, Zelda is clearly the prototype of an Action Adventure if ever there was one.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Happy Monday Game Devs!

Just a reminder that http://www.meatlyjam.com is this weekend, if anyone is interested. I am not 100% what to expect, but ya know fun is fun!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ is also 25 days, and that is always a blast.

• Options
    I don't know how people find the time for those jams. I'm lucky if my wife leaves me alone for 2 hours let alone a whole day/weekend. A week would never happen.

I've got just pages of ideas scribbled and doodled out in a notebook, and plenty more I'm just kicking around in my head. I'll just never get the chance to try and make them a reality. And that is just games. The idea I'd really like to work on is more of a social website, but I've got less of a clue about that than anything so I'm not going to make any headway there either.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    A week is a bit much, but 48 hours is reasonable. You should just tell your wife "I want to do this for two days." She should understand.

Jams are fantastic. There is a lot of community comrade and sharing of tools and ideas, and it really pushes your skills, let's you find areas you need to focus on. I always learn a lot from Jams and have a great time.

On that subject, today I got to experience something different that I can only chalk up as invaluable.

I was fortunate enough to have 11 people (ages 19-29, female and male) play a build my current game, and that was quite the experience. Watching someone play your game, give you feedback. So great.

So not only was the feedback super positive and realistic, which is so awesome to hear, but most importantly, watching how people play. This unspoken information is super valuable. It was an unexpected personal experience to watch people play. I've always tested with my wife and heard feedback from people online, but to actually witness the nuances and their reactions in a group is... nothing short of amazing. It makes me want to really expand on this experience by taking a couple phones and going to the mall and just asking people to play or something.

That being said, it's something I really enjoyed and really makes this entire process worth it. All the bugs and hard work and creative "indecision" making. All a super fair price to pay to see people enjoy something you've made.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    One tip for learning this stuff I just figured out (after years)

Watch youtube videos at higher speed. At 1.5 I can understand everyone perfectly, at 2x I miss stuff so I'll stick to 1.5 for now

website says how to do it

http://dottech.org/157904/how-to-play-youtube-videos-in-slow-or-fast-motion-tip/

Currently watching https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/survival-shooter

Its really long but has a good intro to the 4.6 GUI system (which is awesome) and more about the animation system which I still only half get.

• Options
    tumblr_nlqwt6SohU1tbr4izo2_400.gif
    tumblr_nlqwt6SohU1tbr4izo1_400.gif
    Started making a procedural building generator, starting with rooms. So far it can make a room of any x/y dimensions (z to come) out of existing wall/floor/ceiling meshes while keeping scaling consistent (if not always uniform). If a room’s length or width isn’t a multiple of the length/width of the mesh being scaled, all meshes on that wall/ceiling/floor are scaled to compensate which means they’re often stretched slightly but never more than like 10%, which is fine because modular mesh based level design routinely requires level designers to stretch meshes more than that anyway. Also this uses instanced meshes and can use random meshes if required. You can also elect to use a single scaled mesh for floor/ceiling rather than gridding them like this

• Options
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »

that shit is dopelord and reminds me a bit of spire

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    that is phat

• Options
    Aesthetically pleasing is what I would call that. I think that it being shot out of a pvc pipe somehow makes it better.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Aesthetically pleasing is what I would call that. I think that it being shot out of a pvc pipe somehow makes it better.

That is clearly a super high-tech railgun.

• Options
    I am super envious of those effects. That is exactly what I'm trying to do with this toon-metroid project.