As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    D3lzgI7.jpg

I'm *definitely* gonna remember what the hell this is doing a week from now

yep

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its gonna detonate

we discovered that if you unhook the character movement component on an ai controlled enemy midgame it crashes the game and corrupts every open blueprint, non-retrievably

this is good 2 no

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Speaking of detonations, I just wrote a quick tutorial on how to create a procedurally generated slowmo explosion effect in UE4.

It looks like this:

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    @Kashaar that explosion is beautiful.

@Machwing wrap that logic in a function and put comment cause yeah you're gonna lose track of that one. It looks like you only need two vector for input and you output could either be an enum of which wall to trim or wrap in a macro that have multiple execution pins for output. For that matter make another function for wall trimming that takes a enum as input.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    use reroute nodes and comment everything heavily, you guys

• Options
    LaCabra wrote: »

Nonsense! Arrange everything so that it fits on a single screen! :D

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Nonsense! Arrange everything so that it fits on a single screen! :D

stack all your operators into a single literal blak box

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    it's cool guys I fixed it
    WYrcM5w.jpg

"fixed it"

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just write all your code on one long line in Notepad.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    it's cool guys I fixed it
    WYrcM5w.jpg

"fixed it"

Just fyi, you can comment individual nodes by right clicking them and typing in the node comment field at the bottom. Might save a bit of space and sanity ;)

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    People need to stop freaking out over this. Another option(and what you should be doing anyway) is getting a Private Mailbox. This is not a PO Box, its an actual address. When i start my business, I plan on getting one through the UPS Store.
    With all due respect I think you're not hitting the real issue here. Not everyone runs a "business" and a very large amount of Indie Game Developers work from home. It's not about "starting a business" - if you have a business it is fine. But this policy changes sets a precedent for future changes and puts Indie Game Developers at risk.

I would also like to say that telling people they "need to stop freaking out" when it's a policy that is dangerous and uncomfortable for many is disrespectful. As developers and consumers, we have every right to be concerned about changes like this and that kind of approach to this topic is unhelpful and personally I find it insulting. I respect your opinion but I disagree with the way you delivered it.

In other news, I was interviewed by Junkies Nation recently about being an Indie Game Developer and it is up for reading. Kinda neat!

http://www.junkiesnation.com/2014/09/30/sitting-lostautumn-net/

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    I was thinking about doing some kind of video tute set about Blueprint For Non-Programmers or something, since it seems like a lot of folks don't get started/far on game dev because actual programming, with the typing and the syntax and shit, is intimidating as fuck, but Blueprint is all that logic presented in an understandable visual way and, I suspect, does a really good job of preparing a person to do actual non-visual coding

good idea y/n

• Options
    Also: Blueprint macros can be really really useful for stuff that doesn't really work collapsed to a function but really needs collapsing to be workable

• Options
    More tuts are always good! :) I say good idea.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I was thinking about doing some kind of video tute set about Blueprint For Non-Programmers or something, since it seems like a lot of folks don't get started/far on game dev because actual programming, with the typing and the syntax and shit, is intimidating as fuck, but Blueprint is all that logic presented in an understandable visual way and, I suspect, does a really good job of preparing a person to do actual non-visual coding

good idea y/n

I would love that and definitely watch it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

good idea y/n

if you do it be sure to cover how inheritance works and casting and so on

because there are a few programming concepts which sneak into blueprints which will make no sense unless they are explained

like why do i have to cast to a class after getting a bunch of actors etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

good idea y/n

if you do it be sure to cover how inheritance works and casting and so on

because there are a few programming concepts which sneak into blueprints which will make no sense unless they are explained

like why do i have to cast to a class after getting a bunch of actors etc

Wait, I need to teach a class after hiring some actors? Man, game development sure has changed a lot since I graduated...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Be ready to get lots of follow-up questions after doing a video tutorial. My dynamic ocean tutorial is a medium to advance tutorial and there are a lot of people coming in to my tutorial as their first try with UE4 before getting familiar with the tools.

And then there is the Make-Game button crowd.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Does anyone know anything about Contruct 2? We're doing a group project and I'm having trouble getting a sprite's height to change based on score. Right now I have the code as "System Every Tick -> Set sprite height to score*.01) Since the score goes up to 10 that should make the sprite's width change with the score right? So 0 the sprite would be at 0, then 1 it would go to .1, then 2 at .2 and so on. I've checked the Z-Order and the sprite is positioned correctly it just refuses to move from 0.

Scratch that figured it out, now idea why but multiplying the score by 14 works. It's probably not based on percentages like I had assumed and is instead based on just pixels.

Kanden on
  • Options
    Some guy messaged me on twitter about getting my cel shader, so I did a big ol' breakdown of the UDK setup here:

http://www.stephen-coan.com/#!cel-breakdown/c1kft

go forth, and make shit look cool

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    so my son said he wanted to make a video game.

I'm a beginner programer, and I saw this thread. Where would I start with a 6 year old?

He was talking about drawn to life, which is way over where you should start, but curious. I have never done games, only business programs. boring things with no animation. I no basic C++, VBA, and learning basic java right now. I used to program VB 6.0, but that is old. I understand C++ is good for game engines.

Thoughts? I would also like to do my own more advanced game, but never got on that.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My wife and I have been on vacation this week in what my parents call the "redneck riviera." The goofy names for shops and resorts, along with number of pickup trucks with confederate flags, has inspired me to finally make use of the Game Maker license I got over a year ago. Wheeeeee!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    @DyasAlure‌ We're using Construct 2 in our principles of game design class right now, it's a pretty simple wysiwyg engine. The best part is that the code is super simple, think less typing out strings and more if/then statements. Also there's a free version, the only real limitations are only being able to have 99 events, and I think it limits what you're able to export as.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This free engine is looking really good to me. It even has a scene editor.

http://urho3d.github.io/

I think I finally found something I can work with. Anyone know of some good blender modular level design tutorials?

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Yet another stencyl project

Shoot Face

gm187npt9i5y.png

Only the tutorial works so far

Not sure where it is going, originally wanted to remake Contra but mouse aiming is way more fun.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    More platformers need mouse aiming. Abuse was glorious for it. <3
    Has anyone figured out how to do friction in Stencyl without having your objects getting stuck on vertical walls because of it? I ended up setting it to 0 and just writing a function that decremented your horizontal speed when you weren't holding a direction to stop the character, just so I'd get smooth collisions. Not figured out a way to stop them from sliding on slopes though (ideally I'd only want them to slide on collision normals past certain thresholds, but that's not how physics works).

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @HallowedFaith‌ the game jam is still on, right?

I've run into a scheduling conflict (I'll be indisposed on the 11th). How would you feel about my team cheating and starting on the 9th, still submitting the game, but exempting ourselves from prizes?

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    More platformers need mouse aiming. Abuse was glorious for it. <3
    Has anyone figured out how to do friction in Stencyl without having your objects getting stuck on vertical walls because of it? I ended up setting it to 0 and just writing a function that decremented your horizontal speed when you weren't holding a direction to stop the character, just so I'd get smooth collisions. Not figured out a way to stop them from sliding on slopes though (ideally I'd only want them to slide on collision normals past certain thresholds, but that's not how physics works).

I'm using the "stick to walls" as a feature! I want to have enemies that cover the floor with damaging stuff, or hallways with retracting spikes where you have to jump up and stick to avoid damage.

Seriously though I think the way you are doing it is right. You could check the "run and jump" built in behavior for a "on ground" check and only apply the friction if that is true.

• Options
    Can you toggle friction? I only found a way to toggle physics on and off in its entirety (and selectively toggling it on and off depending on whether or not we're touching something turned out to be more effort than it was worth).

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Can you toggle friction? I only found a way to toggle physics on and off in its entirety (and selectively toggling it on and off depending on whether or not we're touching something turned out to be more effort than it was worth).

IDK about this specifically, but rolling your own physics for the player is totally normal -- 99% of all platformers aren't remotely realistic, and shoehorning your desired behavior into Box2D or whatever gets old fast.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    99% of the time you don't want physics based movement for things that move around with some kind of intent like the player or enemies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, thanks to a box character collider, zero friction and some complex "are we on the ground?" handling I have the player movement more or less sorted, it's just slopes that are causing me grief right now. I'd prefer not having to toss all of that out and then manually coding all of the many corner cases ("what if the player is stationary and a collision tile moves into it, like a platform?" etc) just for what's arguably not even required in a platformer.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm back working on Spacething for a bit. Today I added in-game building of multi-level rooms (basically you can add rooms above and below other rooms and delete floors and ceilings provided to do so wouldn't leave you facing empty space). I really like this vine

LaCabra on
  • Options
    it's amazing how easy it is to take something like raytracing in UE4 or unity for granted

and then go to do some screentracing in Maya and have to dive in to the god damned C++ api

incidentally, jesus christ C++ documentation is just the worst

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I really like that aesthetic you've got going there, LaCabra.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I know this isn't game development per say, if you're like me and write down a ton of stuff about game mechanics and stuff before starting, I'd feel remiss if I didn't point y'll towards TreeSheets. It's a spreadsheet notepad, with the ability to have notes nested within other notes. I've only really started using it now and it's great for letting you go "There are four stats" and then have a note with the name of each stat nested within that note and then have a description of each stat nested within those.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I'm back working on Spacething for a bit. Today I added in-game building of multi-level rooms (basically you can add rooms above and below other rooms and delete floors and ceilings provided to do so wouldn't leave you facing empty space). I really like this vine

You know, I could see this becoming a really cool story-driven puzzle game. You're in a conversation with the AI anyway... could give it some personality and have it banter with you, sprinkle in some plot elements, and then try to configure the room(s) to fulfill a certain configuration. Probably needs another mechanic, though... the first thing springing to mind would be laser/light beams with mirrors, lenses, etc.
    Just brainstorming, hope you don't mind :-)

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    School group project (Unity Web Player): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8788328/Boogie Nights Game.html

Short timespan, so not all the way polished, but we're real proud of this one. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Stairs today

Kashaar wrote: »

You know, I could see this becoming a really cool story-driven puzzle game. You're in a conversation with the AI anyway... could give it some personality and have it banter with you, sprinkle in some plot elements, and then try to configure the room(s) to fulfill a certain configuration. Probably needs another mechanic, though... the first thing springing to mind would be laser/light beams with mirrors, lenses, etc.
    Just brainstorming, hope you don't mind :-)
    Not at all, brainstorm away.
    I just did a puzzle game in InFlux, so I'm a bit over that, but I have a pretty cool bunch of different ideas for what this might end up being.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Could anyone recommend a nice, readable font for general use? Bonus points if it gives a slight science fiction or military vibe.

Also, preferably sans-serif.

With Love and Courage