Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - It was a great two years, but now it’s time to say goodbye

• coil780coil780 Registered User regular
    So.... where do we find you next? (:

• TridusTridus Registered User regular
    Well this sucks. :(

No other way to say it, really. PAR's the only reason I come to PA. Followed Ben over from Ars, and was not disappointed in the content. Real shame PA itself seems to want to go do something else now so they just start hacking away at things that are working.

Hopefully everybody involved lands on their feet.

• nutternutter Registered User regular
    Never commented before. Not sure I can understand this move. PAR always felt like it contributed something more significant to our community, and I don't see how that interferes with selling pins. Let us know where you land, Ben.

• GunganGungan Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Pins or The New Kid or Daughters of the Eyrewood or Thornwatch or The Lookouts or Automata

Goodie, literally all of the things in which I have zero interest and which I actively avoided. Whenever something like "The Tithe" strip would come up on the main page I would groan and avoid the main page until it was finished because quite frankly it felt out of place. The Trenches was a pleasant addition that increased my intake of funny comics.

I too hit the refresh button at work on PAR at least a dozen times a day. Now I'm going to have to get my gaming news somewhere else.

Likewise, my heart always gets super happy fun time feelings whenever there is a new episode of Checkpoint or Extra Credits. Hopefully, they continue on their own but PATV was always my portal for these shows. Now I need to have multiple bookmarks to follow them.

Sadly, cutting off the most interesting content available on the site is probably not going to fare all too well.

Instead of coming here for the funny comic, all my gaming news and a couple of top notch web series (I actually enjoyed the Penny Arcade: The Series too), I'll just be coming for some funny comics, and skipping all the superfluous junk.

If anybody knows a good site to replace PAR let the rest of us know will ya?

Good luck to the PAR crew in the new year.

Gungan on
  • HrugnerHrugner Registered User regular
    Without pa report or extra credits being on this site there isn't much for me to come back to look for regularly. That's a little weird. Good luck!

• MaHawkmaMaHawkma Registered User new member
    Ben, followed you over here from Ars and have been visiting the site daily to get my dose of your insight and everyone elses. Thank you to everyone involved with PAR and I hope you all land on your feet. Please let us know where you land!

• BrinkmanBrinkman Registered User regular
    Ben this is really lame. That's all I'm going to say.

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. -Thomas Jefferson
  • oshioshi Registered User regular
    Well that's entirely unexpected and quite saddening. Good luck to all the people involved in PAR, and thanks for all the good articles.

• dennisdennis Registered User regular
    Going to miss the site and your articles, Ben. There are criticisms of PAR but overall it was a great place.

While I actually agree with PA's logic for focusing on their core (and feel it's sad the people just categorize it in such hateful ways), I just wish there was some way for that to happen without cutting off PAR.

For those who are weeping about PATV, just stop already. PATV was for the most part an AGGREGATOR. A lot of those shows existed completely independently of PATV. They just helped get them in front of your eyeballs and probably paid the creators something. But I feel like those shows will just keep on trucking. And as for the PA part of PATV, from Jerry's post it sounds like that's still going to continue (and hope that includes Strip Search).

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I hope everyone involved can move on to bigger and better things, I will miss the PA Report. I look forward to reading your articles wherever you end up Ben, Good Luck!

camo_sig2.png
    XBox Live: LostNinja05
  • WhyroonWhyroon Registered User regular
    Oh. Well that's genuinely a real shame. PAR has been in my top three sites since it launched.

Maybe games journalism didn't need fixing, no doubt there is good game writing elsewhere, but I doubt there's anywhere with quite the same concentration of interesting, unusual, funny and intelligent stories on a daily basis that there always was here. Nor to forget the appeal of the fostered culture of civility, with just the right degree of elitism, in the comment section at PAR.

I'm a huge fan of Mike and Jerry and it's their site to do with as they choose but speaking only for myself I'm not all that in love with the Lookouts universe and I have no interest in pinning anything to any other thing. I'd take PAR over either or both.

Thanks for the site, best of luck to all concerned in whatever you do next.

• ZurnicZurnic Registered User regular
    I honestly don't see myself coming to the site daily like I do now because of this. I'll still read the tri-weekly comics, but that'll be about it. Maybe they can finally push out another season of PATV for me to devour, but other than that I don't plan on spending much time here. Really gonna miss you guys and I wish you all the best.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Disappointed as well.

Is this a theme at PA? Work-life balance discarded once kids tilt you away from the office?

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    This was the only videogame blog that I felt had real heft to it, and I only started seriously reading Ars Technica after reading what you wrote here Ben, so I'll be sad to see you go.

rodq.jpg
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • PsychochildPsychochild Registered User regular
    Well, that's a shame. I really liked the articles here, and The Cut was a nice way to have someone else wade through the internet to find interesting things.

Anyway, good luck to all those affected. Hopefully PAR at least inspires others to take up the mantle of good games reporting.

• marcus75marcus75 Registered User regular
    This is hugely disappointing news. It's like PA has decided to lose weight by chopping off its legs.

• RenevithRenevith Registered User regular
    Hm.

I didn't really read any game news before PAR, but PAR actually got me interested and excited. I read every PAR article and some of the Cuts, and looked forward to each one. Penny Arcade's sponsorship of it, when (I assume) it was not a money-maker, substantially increased my respect for Mike, Jerry, and the whole organization. They knew what they wanted games journalism to look like, and they used their power to Make It Happen. Following in the footsteps of PAX and Child's Play (showing what expos and charities ought to look like according to gamers), PAR was part of the proof of Penny Arcade's integrity.

I guess I will now go back to consuming no gaming news. It's hard to imagine any other site filling this particular niche and doing such a damn fine job of it.

• ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    Nope. This was the only site I kept track of. Once you're gone I won't have any other site to go to for gaming articles.

• marcus75marcus75 Registered User regular
    Just read Tycho's post, and I'd like to respond to this statement:
    "Essentially, we've decided to be Penny Arcade."
    Maybe you don't realize it, but after the past 2 years you need the Report in order to be Penny Arcade.

• zingledotzingledot Registered User regular
    In 15 years of reading PA, this is the only thing they've done that's pissed me off.

It's unfortunate that Jerry's midlife crisis is dismembering PA. Maybe when traffic takes a nose dive they'll realize that what keeps people coming back isn't just 3 panels, but a culture they've cultivated and surrounded themselves with.

• krimhornkrimhorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    "We didn’t fix game journalism, but the whole idea of it being broken and needing a white knight to run in and make everything better was arrogant and more than a little pigheaded."

Before PAR, Polygon didn't exist. PAR and Polygon, together, have raised the bar considerably on games journalism. It wasn't "broken" it was a cesspool (and in most places it still is) of PR masquerading as information. Polygon is the long-form and investigative king and PAR is the example for Daily/Nightly News in the gaming world.

Because of your history at ArsTechnica, Ben, PAR became a daily click for me as soon as it launched. It's been a great source of news and entertainment over the course of the last two years. Thanks go out to all of you who work(soon to be -ed) at PAR for the great job done.

Best of luck to all of you.

krimhorn on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I've loved PAR from the get-go. Thank you for all the insider info re: gaming journalism.

I hope you get to keep your RIFT :(

g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • BaloogyMcBoyBaloogyMcBoy Registered User regular
    Shame this is happening but I'm looking forward to the exciting changes next year anyway!

Ben, I love your work, I'll keep an eye out for anything you write in the future.

When PAR first began I made a decision to read everything you guys post. EVERYTHING. And it seems (unfortunately) that I succeeded in that goal! There isn't a cut or an article I didn't read. Gotta say, I loved it all! Was a huge fan of Sophie's posts when she was around, and was generally thrilled when you posted anything about the state of women in gaming. The comments on that field left... much to be desired... but that's always the case I guess.

I know you'll all find plenty to do in the future, you'll never be lacking for work with quality like you all have.

Shame I never got to see any of you at PAX Aus but I'll be keeping an eye out next year just in case :)

Congrats on two years of exceptional work and all the best for many many more,
    Baloogy

• Dark ArbiterDark Arbiter Registered User new member
    It's been a pleasure reading everything you all have put out, and I think we will all be sad to see you go. It'll be rough finding out about new under-the-radar indie games and cool stories coming out about the industry without you. Plus I feel pretty confident in saying that you were one of, if not THE, best source(s) online for information about the Rift, and I will miss that in particular.

To those who are upset about this and directing it at PA broadly, I'll just say that a) they have done many many good things so far, including creating PAR, so I'm inclined to give Mike/Jerry/Khoo/etc. the benefit of the doubt on this. And b) if they want to focus on more art and design and storytelling and general creating, I think that it's reasonable for us to be upset (if we disagree), but not to insult or disdain the PA team.

This has been a very good source for rational and reasonable journalism and discussion about journalism -- no sense letting that sentiment go just because the site is.

• The_TimThe_Tim Registered User regular
    Lame.

• archwaykittenarchwaykitten Registered User regular
    Aw.. I was really enjoying the "empire" aspect of this site lately. Between Strip Search, Extra Credits, and PAR articles and comments, I was enjoying my visits to Penny Arcade more than ever.

• Kered13Kered13 Registered User regular
    This is a very sad day. The PAR has been by far the best games journalism I have seen, and the cut was a great way to find other great stories around the net.

I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope I can keep following your work, but I'm not sure if anything will be able to truly replace the PAR.

• guyontheinternetguyontheinternet Registered User regular
    This is quite an abrupt ending. I enjoyed PAR, and I think it's been a positive thing for gaming journalism. I am sad to see it go. Ben and PAR staff, it's been a pleasure.

• ErshinErshin Registered User new member
    I had wondered why there was such a lack of updates recently. I actually just figured it was because of the holidays or something. This...this is a much less optimal explanation.

I honestly didn't see this coming at all, because PAR has outright replaced PA in my browsing routine. Maybe they were dropping clues over there, but I don't think I've read PA in months, and after this, I'm not entirely sure I even want to anymore.

I didn't always agree with everything you said, but I always appreciated the perspective that the PAR brought to the table. You'll all be sorely missed.

• Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    This is super unfortunate, I hope PA thought long and hard about this choice, and capitalizes on these changes well in the near future... I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now. Like many of the folks in the comments section here have mentioned, PAR was basically my only source of gaming news and I sincerely doubt I'll pick anything else up in the future (Polygon DOES sound promising though, so I'll probably give it a shot).

Ben I have a quick question -- is there a way I can keep informed about what you're doing that doesn't involve Twitter? I'd love to keep track of where you end up next, but I don't really use Twitter at all, and I don't particularly want to start... though I will make an exception if I have to.

Sigma_100 on
  • archwaykittenarchwaykitten Registered User regular
    Earlier this year Penny Arcade raised over 200K in a Kickstarter campaign to fund the Podcast component of their site. I have to believe a similar feat would be possible to save the PAR or PATV.

Though it sounds like it may be less about money and more about finding a focus. Maybe Kickstart PAR and PATV as their own non-PA entities?

• HautamakiHautamaki Registered User regular
    Can't say I particularly understand this decision. Was PAR really a drain on PA's resources? I always figured it was relatively self-sustaining. I considered it a fairly essential supplement to PA's main site. A place where you could find more frequent and up-to-date coverage on the video game world, and a place where you could kick start and join in on discussions on current affairs in video games and in all of 'nerd-culture' as well. If this really is the end, I for one will miss my daily check-in a great deal.

• dennisdennis Registered User regular
    I imagine it takes up some of Khoo's time at least. I doubt PAR runs anywhere near independently. Like when Ben went to Australia for PAX Australia, who decided that? Did it have to go as far as Jerry and Mike, even? Did they have to spend some time talking to Ben to have him sales pitch it? How often have the tech guys at PA had to spend time on the PAR webserver? Who decided how much Ben got paid and how much of a raise they should give him this year or that?

It's just all the nitty gritty details. And that's just PAR. I'm sure there were plenty for all the 3rd-Party PATV deals as well. I think at some point J&M just got tired of spending that time on doing stuff that was tangential to their interests, when they'd really been wanting to do more art/story stuff like Lookouts and Automata. They probably looked and saw that they'd been a successful business for almost a decade and wondered where that time went. If you're not already the age of J&M (and me, as it happens), you'll get to that point and ask yourself the same questions (unless you manage to be super prolific, in which case kudos to you).

The bigger the ship gets, the harder it is to steer it. And eventually, it steers you. I completely empathize with them, as much as I hate to see PAR go.

• GendouGendou Registered User regular
    I read Ben's work before he was a gaming writer.
    I read his articles at Ars Technica.
    When he came to Penny Arcade, I followed him here.
    Wherever he ends up after this, I hope I'm able to keep reading his work.

• sidran32sidran32 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Your writing was always top notch. Sorry to see PAR go. Thanks, though!

fss_overall.png
  • 0xFADE0xFADE Registered User regular
    Good luck with the future.

• djlowballerdjlowballer Registered User regular
    Stuff like high margin pins need all the resources so sucks to be Ben. I read the post on the main site and just don't buy it. PAR can't require all that many resources to maintain for an "Empire" as large as PA. Its fine; PA is removed from my adblock whitelist and I no longer buy anything related from the brand.

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    let me know if u need help putting together a kickstarter ben, i've got some ideas. . .

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be really honest and admit to not liking your work back at Ars Technica. I do think that you improved a lot with PAR though. I do look forward to seeing what is next for you.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • BludfurBludfur Registered User new member
    Ding dong, the witch is dead.

I'd say I'd miss you but that would be a lie.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a place on Kotaku or Upworthy or Gawker or Jezebel for you. Me, I'm glad I won't have to see your shit anymore.