As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Ynuu wrote: »
    oh man I am all over this

when can we relocate our money to their wallets

is this known

no idea. it could be a while yet unfortunately. hopefully we'll get an idea of how far off it is before too long though.

Safer bet is a timeline measured in years, not weeks or months.

hmm, well. it still looks interesting, but if it comes out after Star Citizen...

but hey, no need to worry about that this particular moment I guess, maybe they're working at a fairly rapid clip or something

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in this game that doesn't listen to the Giant Bombcast:

You should probably listen to this upcoming Tuesday's episode, Jeff Gerstmann and Brad Shoemaker apparently spent an hour talking to the Hello Games dev team and apparently have a lot to say about it

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Routine is another game coming out that has a very small dev team and is procedurally generated. And it looks amaziiing

Routine's architecture is all hand made, they just randomize item and enemy placement.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I'm eagerly awaiting the Steam early access in six months, followed by another two years of glacial development.

:(

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Looks like the marketing storm has begun...

RPS
    Polygon
    Eurogamer
    Joystiq

Still reading these (busy with work) but what I HAVE read is good stuff. I'll update the OP when I have time to with this new info, but my interest has gone WAY up and it was already pretty high to begin with.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Ok now I'm fucking excited.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    just starting to read through the articles on this and wow. this quote from the RPS article in particular,
    At one point during the conversation, an odd, exciting question is raised: is No Man’s Sky the first game without a skybox? If you’re standing on a planet’s surface and look up, every single dot in the sky is an actual star you can go visit.

for years now developers have been talking about how if you can see a location, a mountain, a city a lake, you can go there and explore it, but this takes that to a whole new level.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Well, if they're talking to RPS (and that interview is great, worth reading), then a PC release is definitely assured.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It sounds awesome, but it also sounds way too ambitious for a team of 4...

I mean, I'm still pretty interested in No Man's Sky, though. Even if it only lives up to a fraction of its potential, it should still be an awesome game. I'm just not so sure they're going to be able to deliver this massive experience.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    This really does seem to have some of the elements that I love about Mirrormoon EP which is somewhat unexpected. Like the not-quite solitude of being the only player active in the universe but seeing the signs of others playing on the seed. I wonder if these guys are inspired by Noctis as well, at least in part.

I like the idea of being a lone player in a universe influenced by the actions of others, and super relieved that it's not going to be a traditional MMO. I wonder if there will be the ability to coop with friends or is it going to be the coordination of activity on a more abstract level? I'd prefer the second option at this point, it raises interesting metagaming questions and could give people a way to cooperate on a grand level without necessarily having to work it like a second job (I'm looking at you Eve). And there's plenty of games that offer more traditional multiplayer options.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    This really does seem to have some of the elements that I love about Mirrormoon EP which is somewhat unexpected. Like the not-quite solitude of being the only player active in the universe but seeing the signs of others playing on the seed. I wonder if these guys are inspired by Noctis as well, at least in part.

I like the idea of being a lone player in a universe influenced by the actions of others, and super relieved that it's not going to be a traditional MMO. I wonder if there will be the ability to coop with friends or is it going to be the coordination of activity on a more abstract level? I'd prefer the second option at this point, it raises interesting metagaming questions and could give people a way to cooperate on a grand level without necessarily having to work it like a second job (I'm looking at you Eve). And there's plenty of games that offer more traditional multiplayer options.

it seems to be leaning more towards the second option, with players sharing a linked database and choosing to share their discoveries and actions with others. should mean for a very interesting feeling when playing, being at once completely alone and isolated, but having access to (hopefully)helpful information from others reminding you that you aren't completely alone.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    One of the things I loved about TIE Fighter was that it really conveyed the vastness of space. I would turn on cheats sometimes and just fly as far away as I could from my objective points, just to see how big everything. I don't recall ever hitting walls or anything, but oy could get miles away from stuff. It was great.

This could be that times a thousand... a million even. Endless directions with actual destinations. Crazy. Can't wait to hear more about this.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    In a game like Skyrim, wandering the land with no particular direction, and stumbling upon new areas and forgotten relics has always been my favorite part. I also loved the uncharted worlds from Mass Effect. So this game is like a dream come true.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It sounds awesome, but it also sounds way too ambitious for a team of 4...

I mean, I'm still pretty interested in No Man's Sky, though. Even if it only lives up to a fraction of its potential, it should still be an awesome game. I'm just not so sure they're going to be able to deliver this massive experience.

Mirrormoon EP manages to create an experience that feels pretty vast and mysterious and it's a super minimal game. It has two components to the gameplay; The part where you travel between systems and name planets and the part on the planet surfaces, where you explore to solve various puzzles and reveal some really fun easter eggs. It's a great example of how some pretty simple elements combined with good art and design can create a whole much greater than any of the pieces it is made of. Sure what No Man's Sky is going for is apparently more complex but it doesn't have to necessarily be made from complex pieces. The individual bits that make the game could be simple enough. It's in their interaction and presentation where it's really going to count. Procedural games depend on emergence for success and it seems that a lot of the best emergence isn't necessarily of the Dwarf Fortress type of infinitesimally granular simulation. Lots of great things have been happening with games like Evochron Mercenary, Proteus and Mirrormoon EP, and these are all teams iterating along similar themes and ideas as No Man's Sky with a lot of success.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This game sounds pretty awesome, I just hope that I can also just play it offline when I'm at work. My "at home" time is jam packed enough as it is. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    So... Any guesses for which platforms this will be released? I say ps4 and pc.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    One thing I'm concerned about is planet size - from that preview it didn't look like a planet's atmosphere was particularly thick.

I'd definitely like more of a perception that it's 100+ km to "space" from the surface, so there's a decent atmospheric flight region.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I don't understand how a team of 4 can pull off the scope of what they're talking about in the RPS article without it either being a mess or in development for another 5 years. The Journey comparisons make the most sense since I see this game as being likely very simple, very barebones when it comes to the actual gameplay. The "no skybox" thing is probably true, but I doubt the galaxy will be that big or the game that long.

Bubby on
  • Options
    The whole thing is procedural so theoretically as long as they get the engine done right the scale shouldn't be an issue, kinda like with Cube World, Minecraft or any other procedural engine game. Where I think they may hit a snag is with the MP component in which things update depending on what other people are doing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So I was watching the trailer with no sound, except this song was playing in the background...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPwkDF5AxQM
    I was all "Yes, yes I'll allow this." also I want to see just what my character will look like. Can we have customization? Cause I want a brown long coat and a space six-shooter.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    there’s this weird thing that we’ve found very useful, very powerful,

uh, guys, maybe don't borrow verbiage from internet ads when describing your product

• Options
    They're just talking; people say "weird" sometimes. It's not like they carefully crafted a well-thought-out missive that they proofread eight times.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    They're just talking; people say "weird" sometimes. It's not like they carefully crafted a well-thought-out missive that they proofread eight times.

yeah, I know

it just sounds funny

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    One thing I'm concerned about is planet size - from that preview it didn't look like a planet's atmosphere was particularly thick.

I'd definitely like more of a perception that it's 100+ km to "space" from the surface, so there's a decent atmospheric flight region.

In the trailer when the ship starts flying towards the upper atmo to when the ship enters "space" there is a cut. I imagine getting to space from the ground will take a bit of time, but showing it in the entirety probably didn't help with the flow of the trailer. :p

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Well, that answers one of my questions. The universe won't be "randomly" generated, the universe's RNG will have a fixed seed to keep everything deterministic. Unfortunately, it also answers my other question. He isn't interested in creating any narrative for it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    This is the kind of game where I'm more than happy to allow the context of the game itself to drive the narrative. Personally speaking, of course.

I like how every time I see this guy he's laughing like he ate all of the LSD at the party.

• Options
    Yeah, nice to see someone so excited about their work.

• Options
    Or on LSD.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    This makes me think of Project Offset: small team with an impressive trailer and big promises. Let's hope these guys don't suffer the same fate.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I think they're aiming a little high but honestly, even if it turns out to be a simple affair, I am still intrigued.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Darmak wrote: »
    This makes me think of Project Offset: small team with an impressive trailer and big promises. Let's hope these guys don't suffer the same fate.

I was thinking Spore myself. The reality didn't come anywhere near the imagined possibilities.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I was thinking Spore myself. The reality didn't come anywhere near the imagined possibilities.

Yeah, I'm having flashbacks to 2005 when I was huddled around my friend's laptop at 2 AM high-fiving and saying THIS IS THE FUTURE!!! While we looked at Spore trailers

I mean I want it to be what it's promising but I kinda doubt it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Didn't Spore's problems have a lot to do with publisher meddling?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Yep. I try really hard not to get hyped up anymore. This might be great, if it delivers on a part of it's promise it will be, but it could so easily go south and break my heart.

I have to take a wait and see aproach or I'll end up drunk under a viadock yelling at road crews about how great it all could have been shortly before I shit myself and pass out.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So I wasn't able to post this due to Christmasocalypse, but this happened Christmas Eve:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130830-No-Mans-Sky-and-Joe-Danger-Developer-Hello-Games-Suffers-Flood

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/insurance-won-t-cover-joe-danger-no-man-s-sky-dev-s-office-flood/1100-6416855/

Basically y'all can put your hype on hold because these guys lost ALL of their gear and equipment in this flood :( And their insurance doesn't cover it, either. My heart goes out to them, seriously.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Any news on the data? They got copious backups and such? Or is this another Sims 2 disaster? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    What happened to The Sims 2?

• Options
    no news on data recovery yet and at this time of year we may have to wait a while. assume they can get someone to even start looking at their wrecked HDDs this week, it'll still probably be next week before they have any idea what material, if any, is salvageable. i'd expect more updates once we're firmly into January and they have a clearer picture of what the situation is.