As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Sound awesome, and almost too good to be true. I really hope they manage to pull it off!

Interesting that halo is mentioned as an major inspiration for the combat. This is also the case for the other arcade-y, free-roaming space adventure galak-z.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Wow that sounds really quite fantastic

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

So many space ships!

z206-23_1532vs_verge_super_wide.jpg

This reference wall serves as a good reminder to all that the A-Wing is the most wonderful space fighter design ever

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

So many space ships!

This reference wall serves as a good reminder to all that the A-Wing is the most wonderful space fighter design ever

It's up there. Think my fav on the wall is the Viper MK2 from Battlestar Galactica tho. Even has the same colour scheme!

Technically not a ship, but a station - I loved Sevastopol from Alien Isolation. Just one look at it, you know what a piece of junk it is, and how rough living on it would be. Even before it gets infested with head munchy aliens. :P

Sevastopol.jpg

SO HEY No Man's Sky looks like da bes but when can we hook it up to our veins?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh my god... ULTRA MEGA SUPER HYPE

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I'd like to be cryogenically frozen now and revived upon the game's release.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I'm mildly worried about dicks just hanging around space stations and attacking them just so people can't get higher quality ships.

Still, I just went from interested in this to so incredibly hyped that I might explode at any minute now... Like, a joygasm. All over the walls.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cauh5ArdIoM

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

So many space ships!

pffft x-wing for lif
    e

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Damn, looks like I need to buy a PS4...

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Space dinosaur!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    Damn, looks like I need to buy a PS4...

It's coming to the PC.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Timed exclusive for PS4 though

If you want it ASAP gonna have to shell out for the PS4

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wonder if it'll be one shared universe between the versions, or 2 separate ones. It'd be interesting to see how the star map differs between them. Imagine it'd show how much is truly procedural, how much is structured.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Wonder if it'll be one shared universe between the versions, or 2 separate ones. It'd be interesting to see how the star map differs between them. Imagine it'd show how much is truly procedural, how much is structured.

Based on that video, it sounds like it would be the same. He said there's basically a system of equations that is used such that you put in x,y,z coordinates and it creates the world around you at that point, but everyone has the same set of equations so if you all go to the same coords you'll see the same things.

In that respect, the world is procedural but not random.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Their "timed exclusive" is a slightly different case

There's no deal set in place where it can't come out on PC for 6 months or anything like that

They want to work 1 version at a time so they can put their full attention & studio towards it rather than be divided

So since they're working with Sony, the game will be finished for PS4 first

Once that version is done, they'll start working on the PC version

And that one will come out whenever they finish it

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwG6Sj1Yfg

Here's the Playstation Experience trailer, where it's starting to look like a real game you can play

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    This is the kind of game the 'Share' button was made for.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Small amount of new info. The sentinels responded to planetary damage WAY faster than I expected they would, although that might just be for demo purposes. Sean seems a little tired!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGy8HIYBwV0

• Options
    He did seem grumpy or agitated. Maybe it was just exhaustion. I wish No Man's Sky was given more than three minutes at the conference, too.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah it's one of the very few things I truly care about at E3 this year. It would have been nice to see more.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular

This went from "must buy" to "completely don't give a shit about it".

Will take a year at least until they launch for PC. My policy on this is to wait for a sale before I buy timed exclusives so it will be awhile before I need to care about this one.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    He did seem grumpy or agitated. Maybe it was just exhaustion. I wish No Man's Sky was given more than three minutes at the conference, too.

I imagine there are only so many times you can answer "but what do you do" before you throw your hands up and say here's some stuff to do can I finish my game

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »

This went from "must buy" to "completely don't give a shit about it".

Will take a year at least until they launch for PC. My policy on this is to wait for a sale before I buy timed exclusives so it will be awhile before I need to care about this one.

Throw it back into "Must buy" because they're gonna launch simultaneously now.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I still can't take this game seriously, there's no way everything is promising is real, there must be some compromise they're hiding, might be why we only see it for a few minutes before it disappears for months at a time.

• Options
    I am so so sooo relieved that it's same day PC.

You guys have no idea.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    in a weird way i'm bummed, since if it turns out to actually be cool, i was looking forward to have a reason to boot this ps4.

ooooh well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I still can't take this game seriously, there's no way everything is promising is real, there must be some compromise they're hiding, might be why we only see it for a few minutes before it disappears for months at a time.

What they're promising is very specific - procedurally generated content, which of course is infinite. It looks really nice of course but my concern is still the gameplay - it seems likely that the core gameplay loop is at some point going to break down into a very simple formula, i.e. "fly to random planet, explore all waypoints, fight enemies, get money, fly to random planet, rinse and repeat." All games like this have the same problem - the underlying patterns quickly become clear so infinite content all starts to feel the same after you've encountered all the basic "types" of content.

Zek on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Getting the feeling people are expecting Spore from this and they'll end up with Spore. What they've said about it is basically it's a giant universe where you can go places. The hype surrounding the game is blowing up expectations. It's gonna end with major disappointment just like Spore did.

danx on
  • Options
    I'm going into this looking to fly around in a spaceship and see what there is to see.

I don't need a sweeping narrative or anything. I just want to kick around in space and see what I can discover first, upgrade my ship, stuff like that.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm going into this looking to fly around in a spaceship and see what there is to see.

I don't need a sweeping narrative or anything. I just want to kick around in space and see what I can discover first, upgrade my ship, stuff like that.

I'm worried the reception they're getting from the hype will convince them to add a bunch of stuff like a narrative or a bunch of half assed features.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    danx wrote: »
    Getting the feeling people are expecting Spore from this and they'll end up with Spore. What they've said about it is basically it's a giant universe where you can go places. The hype surrounding the game is blowing up expectations. It's gonna end with major disappointment just like Spore did.

Yeah, people are so excited about this and I'm pretty sure the majority are excited for what they think the game is going to be instead of what the game actually is. Kinda like how in Star Citizen you've got people expecting Eve 2.0 when it's really not going to be that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I just want a damned release date so I can know when to say good bye to the rest of the world as I put "Come Sail Away" on permanent repeat.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am so so sooo relieved that it's same day PC.

You guys have no idea.

I was on the verge of ordering a PS4 for it (yeah, I know, never do that for one game but there are others I'd like stop interrupting my justification) but was waiting to see if there was a post E3 price change/better bundle/etc. This is much better!

• Options
    Watch it be Windows 10 only or some other typical Microsoft janky bullshit

• Options
    hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    Watch it be Windows 10 only or some other typical Microsoft janky bullshit

Why? As far as I know Microsoft has nothing to do with the publishing of this game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I have been excited for this from Day One. I just want a beautiful space game where I fly around space and explore different planets. I don't need or want anything else from this game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular

One thing I don't get about these endless procedural universe thingies is why they don't incorporate power laws to get "the monolith effect"; it's in everything from natural language to geophysical phenomena. Some things should be witnessed every excursion, some things once every ten, some once every hundred, and just when you think you've seen it all, years into the game on that thousandth trip...

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Sentinels weren't in the last time.

I hope they aren't on every planet.

Having a universal enemy on every planet for the sake of gamey-ness seems like a concession made to the "What do you do?" crowd.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    They'll probably be pretty much every where with various levels of presence and strength.