As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So what's the Penny-Arcade Forum verdict on this game so far?
    Here's what I put in my Steam review, which was rated highly unhelpful within minutes.
    This game is a space walking simulator. It's a galactic berry picker. It is boring.

It's also amazing. If it happens to be the sort of thing you like.

If you like survival sims, or space sims, or building things, or complex combat, or varied NPC interactions, or sick loot... this doesn't have those things.

The game elements serve only as the lightest incentives to wander around collecting stuff, with the reward being the wandering, not the stuff. If you like cresting a ridge and seeing a valley spread out below you, the sunset tinting it vibrant colors; if your heart beats as you see a faint fluorescent glow emanating from a cave entrance that you almost missed; if you have to dive into a lake to see what's beneath its surface; if you long to point your ship at a distant star to see what worlds you find there: you might like this game.

I've put 36 hours into it and I've not even gotten halfway through the things I want to do, and seen only a fraction of the things I hope to see.

More specific stuff:
    The gameplay elements are extremely repetitive; you'll come across almost identical buildings, harvest the same minerals, see the same freighters, have the same conversations, do the same puzzles, etc. It is 100% about the journey from one place to the next.

The space controls are extremely arcadey; think Star Fox or Rogue Squadron. The combat is generally very simple, aside from recharging your shields mid fight, which is garbage.

On foot, there's practically no combat. Sometimes you shoot things attacking you, but mostly you shoot rocks. The wildlife just wanders around, and there's very little interaction with anything. You can scan stuff and store it in a journal type thing, kind of like Metroid Prime.

The crafting very limited: you have to find random blueprints, and cannot build anything otherwise. The fun comes from managing the layout of the upgrades you craft to link matching types, which makes them better.

Ship types don't affect much, if anything, so the only reasons to get different ships are 1) more cargo space and 2) looks.

There are no functional maps or anything, so there's functionally no turning back. There's no storing things in a base or anything. You have your ship and your suit. Toss your junk, rip out the guts of your new stuff, always be crafting.

One of cooler gameplay things are the words: you collect words from the three alien languages, and they translate your interactions with NPCs. So you slowly understand more and more of each conversation, letting you choose your responses better.

Um, that's all I can think of at the moment.

In short, the game stuff is definitely lacking. But the environments and the sense of discovery are great. It's a game made for screenshots rather than streaming, I think.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I only travel with basic components thus far. I have no need for a better ship, as 90% of what I've been doing in the game is on planets.

The "best" planets are supposedly orbiting the rarer star colors, which require engine upgrades. Also, upgraded cannons make space combat... well, not good, but certainly much more enjoyable. I don't groan when the alert comes up anymore, knowing that I'm about to smoke some dudes.

I've actually not had anyone attack me, yet. Though I do go into pulse drive within about 20 seconds of getting into space, as I'm just hopping from planet to planet.

I know something I want them to add: approximate surface area of the planet. Like, Earth is 196.9 million mi²; Mars is only 55.91 million mi². I'd love to know about how big that planet I'm about to land on really is.

Pirates attacking pulls you out of pulse.

Here's me playing for almost 4 hours. No commentary, no editing, just raw gameplay loop.
    https://www.twitch.tv/digitalarcanist/v/83251097

If that doesn't look interesting, don't buy it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    (I've not looked at Houn's stream, but a heads up: the game brings all but the beefiest rigs to their knees when streaming. This results in massive stuttering in the stream, while the game runs fine.)

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    (I've not looked at Houn's stream, but a heads up: the game brings all but the beefiest rigs to their knees when streaming. This results in massive stuttering in the stream, while the game runs fine.)

I'm on PS4, the stream looks fine.

• Options
    Never mind me, then!

I know Day9 had to turn his settings to medium to mitigate it, and I assume he has a... decent computer.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Pirates attacking pulls you out of pulse.

Well then, considering I haul around one stack of every kind of element, I'm glad I haven't been attacked by pirates yet, as they'd tear me to pieces.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Woah. Procedurely generated music? That's pretty nifty too.

Except it's barely there.

Well, the music isn't the focus. We don't want players to think of this as a music experience.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Landed on a lovely red-tinged planet:
    9iaceqylnk82.jpg

No it's fine, really, just play through:
    ptjnwdzwixwz.jpg

New green ship:
    upekjxm3wk1x.jpg

• Options
    Hrmm, my new GTX 1060 arrived to replace the 950, and after turning all the settings up there's actually a bunch of horrid graininess as stuff loads in.

I didn't get a chance to mess with the settings, but my gut says it's the anisotropic filtering maybe? Has anyone tried the "game ready" drivers?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

If you can overlook the fact that you're basically doing the same thing over and over while exploring a sparsely populated galaxy this game is a blast. There is a great game buried under a mountain of monotony.

I get a massive AssCreed vibe in the sense that if they can add some real variety to the game the sequel will be an absolute must buy. As is, if you're on the fence I'd say wait until you can find it 33-50% off.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Anyone know what triggers Polo and Nada to spawn?

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    I've had them turn up in a system when loading up my save the next day. It's like they're stalking me...

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hrmm, my new GTX 1060 arrived to replace the 950, and after turning all the settings up there's actually a bunch of horrid graininess as stuff loads in.

I didn't get a chance to mess with the settings, but my gut says it's the anisotropic filtering maybe? Has anyone tried the "game ready" drivers?

My brief searching on forums seem to say they make things worse.

You may try the mod to remove that stuff: http://nomansskymods.com/mods/chromatic-aberration-vignetting-scan-lines-removal/

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Has this been posted? I think it hasn't. It's a crime if it hasn't been posted: Mod that allows you to fly low on a planet. Yes, you can enter caves.

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Anyone know what triggers Polo and Nada to spawn?

They were showing up in every system I black hole warped to. It was great, but it seems like they've slowed down now that I'm super close to the center. When they do show up, black holes suddenly can't warp you as far... bleh

Speaking of the center
    That's a kick in the dick, huh? I was expecting something special there, but it just throws you back to the edges of the galaxy. No fanfare, no cool looking thing...

Now that is pretty disappointing...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    the space anomaly with polo will spawn at random sometimes, but there is atleast one trigger that always gets it to spawn. if you visit an atlas station then jump to another system nearby they will be there.

edit: almost forgot i also wanted to add if youre looking for crashed ships, which i recommend. if you fly around look at the buildings, often you will see little tiny buildings with an antenna structure of sorts next to them. ignore these, but instead try to find a building with that very same antenna structure on top of it. they look different depending on what race controls the system so you have to learn to recognize the difference. anyhow these are transmission towers and inside they have one of those scanner things you interact with and it will give you a pattern and a choice of three options that would be the next choice in the series. get it right and it will send you to a crashed ship.

i dont kow if its aglitch, probably yes, but it may say the ship is an hour or two away and no matter how fast youre going the time to arrival doesnt seem to go down or it goes up and down, for these they are actually on a distant part of the planet and the easiest thing to do is leave the atmosphere until you are travelling at max speed and then fly to it from above the planet, itll still take a few mintues usually but youll get there.

also if you do this enough times on a single planet sometimes the transmission towers will send you to spots youve already been to and there wont actually be a ship there, best to move on when this happens or before that would be even better

Petesalzl on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So I ran into a really annoying issue last night that I really wish they could somehow fix.

I've been chugging along with a 23 slot ship for days now. I have almost every upgrade for my suit already so it's a little sad that I can carry more by hand than by ship. So I landed on a new planet, found a crashed ship that had 24 slots on it. I went to my old ship and broke everything down and transferred everything over to the new ship. Now all I needed was 25/50 Zing to get the engines repaired and then I could move around.

Apparently the planet I landed on had 0 Flora or Fauna and I didn't find a SINGLE piece of Zinc in the hour I scavanged. So an idea popped in my head: Take your old ship (now stripped of parts) and go to the planet you were just on as there was a plethora of Zinc. My main concern was being able to come back to this ship. I then found out there really isn't a compass. I thought it at least had N on it, but it doesn't. And, of course, since there's no map there wasn't really a way for me to find this ship. I figured I could find a nice landmark and come back to it.

So I flew to the other planet and got like 500 Zinc (since I was there). And, of course, when I flew back I couldn't find the new ship at all. I flew around/landed for about an hour until I gave up.

Luckily when I landed at a Trading Post on that planet a newer ship (although not as cool looking) landed and had 29 slots and I had enough money to purchase it. It was still really annoying that there was absolutely no way for me to find my ship.

• Options
    So I ran into a really annoying issue last night that I really wish they could somehow fix.

I've been chugging along with a 23 slot ship for days now. I have almost every upgrade for my suit already so it's a little sad that I can carry more by hand than by ship. So I landed on a new planet, found a crashed ship that had 24 slots on it. I went to my old ship and broke everything down and transferred everything over to the new ship. Now all I needed was 25/50 Zing to get the engines repaired and then I could move around.

Apparently the planet I landed on had 0 Flora or Fauna and I didn't find a SINGLE piece of Zinc in the hour I scavanged. So an idea popped in my head: Take your old ship (now stripped of parts) and go to the planet you were just on as there was a plethora of Zinc. My main concern was being able to come back to this ship. I then found out there really isn't a compass. I thought it at least had N on it, but it doesn't. And, of course, since there's no map there wasn't really a way for me to find this ship. I figured I could find a nice landmark and come back to it.

So I flew to the other planet and got like 500 Zinc (since I was there). And, of course, when I flew back I couldn't find the new ship at all. I flew around/landed for about an hour until I gave up.

Luckily when I landed at a Trading Post on that planet a newer ship (although not as cool looking) landed and had 29 slots and I had enough money to purchase it. It was still really annoying that there was absolutely no way for me to find my ship.

wo be fair it wasnt your ship anymore because you switched back to the old one. the game will literally despawn it the moment you are out of visual range once youve exchanged for a new ship. a couple of other options would have seen if you could break another component down to get zinc, or leave both ships there because then you have a way point of where you left them and wandered on foot til you came across a galactic trade thing which are in buildings with landing pads, trade hubs, and sometimes just hanging out by themselves. and these will 95% (rough guess) of the time have zinc for sale.

• Options
    Petesalzl wrote: »

wo be fair it wasnt your ship anymore because you switched back to the old one. the game will literally despawn it the moment you are out of visual range once youve exchanged for a new ship. a couple of other options would have seen if you could break another component down to get zinc, or leave both ships there because then you have a way point of where you left them and wandered on foot til you came across a galactic trade thing which are in buildings with landing pads, trade hubs, and sometimes just hanging out by themselves. and these will 95% (rough guess) of the time have zinc for sale.

Not entirely true. I've been sent back to old distress beacons I'd already claimed the ship from, and sometimes the previous ship I'd abandoned is still nearby. Not always, but sometimes.

• Options
    oh, wow ive been to a lot of crashed ship sites and never seen that, i didnt know that could happen. now im curious what the process for the despawning is then.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The Sentinel get! Proud to be among the 0.9% of PS4 players to grind out eight fucking hours on a single, boring planet.

Now to move on to something actually fun.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    The Sentinel get! Proud to be among the 0.9% of PS4 players to grind out eight fucking hours on a single, boring planet.

Now to move on to something actually fun.

I am stuck with the glitch where it refuses to recognize when I 100% a planet's species so I am done with the game until it is fixed. It is a bad game but at least the trophies are easy of they do not bug out.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Veevee wrote: »

If you can overlook the fact that you're basically doing the same thing over and over while exploring a sparsely populated galaxy this game is a blast. There is a great game buried under a mountain of monotony.

I get a massive AssCreed vibe in the sense that if they can add some real variety to the game the sequel will be an absolute must buy. As is, if you're on the fence I'd say wait until you can find it 33-50% off.

Honestly, I don't think it's fair to compare the amount of content that's in NMS with AssCreed (the first one). AssCreed was often denigrated for its repetition and similar, but it had far more unique content than NMS does by a long way. In terms of story, things to do and similar, it was a lot better than NMS and felt like an ambitious $60. NMS feels like a $30 indie title, in terms of both the ambition that's demonstrated here and the content. Right now, I think there is a mountain of monotony buried under a theoretically compelling game. It depends on how quickly the "illusion" breaks with NMS. How fast will you recognize that most planets are really just the same thing with a slightly different paint scheme? How quickly will the games creature building system break itself? Can you make your own fun grinding out the repetitive content to get more inventory slots, which is really 90% of the game right now (because there sure as shit isn't anything else worthwhile doing in NMS).

For me the illusion behind how NMS worked in terms of its content broke in 10 hours. Others milage may vary.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with the contrasts you draw between NMS and Assassin's Creed, but I think your most important tool in NMS is bound to F12.

The interactive bits on the planets are largely recolors, yeah, but they're far less important than the terrain itself. And that does lead to some cool stuff. Big chasms. Floating islands. Weird hollow cube things. I saw a glimpse of some crazy mesh of arches on Houn's stream that I haven't seen anything remotely similar to.

Like, one day, when I have time to paint again, I expect to have a huge gallery of crazy alien planets to draw from, and as a bonus I'll have been to each one.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So based on a lot of you saying this game was worth checking out, I picked it up last night and played for a couple hours.

I still have no idea what's going on, the flight model is wonky, the performance is bad on my rather high-end machine at medium detail--I don't think combat is going to be workable--but this seems super fun. My inventory is filled with knick-knacks I have no idea what to do with at the moment, though.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    The game ran nicely on medium with a GTX 750 and an i5 from 2011ish.

Supposedly turning off V-sync, setting the frame rate to max, and I think... turning off the in game AA helps a lot, if I remember correctly. I think the about or Steam pages might have more info.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Honestly, I don't think it's fair to compare the amount of content that's in NMS with AssCreed (the first one). AssCreed was often denigrated for its repetition and similar, but it had far more unique content than NMS does by a long way. In terms of story, things to do and similar, it was a lot better than NMS and felt like an ambitious $60. NMS feels like a $30 indie title, in terms of both the ambition that's demonstrated here and the content. Right now, I think there is a mountain of monotony buried under a theoretically compelling game. It depends on how quickly the "illusion" breaks with NMS. How fast will you recognize that most planets are really just the same thing with a slightly different paint scheme? How quickly will the games creature building system break itself? Can you make your own fun grinding out the repetitive content to get more inventory slots, which is really 90% of the game right now (because there sure as shit isn't anything else worthwhile doing in NMS).

For me the illusion behind how NMS worked in terms of its content broke in 10 hours. Others milage may vary.

63 hours, still in my first system scanning wildlife, finding and cataloguing beacons, grinding for cash, and learning Korvaxian. Having a blast, loving the different scenery, the slight but not quite to horrible hazards (radioactive o one planet, cold on 3 others, cold at night on the two desert ones), and just generally the relaxed nature of it. I now know the story of the Korvax from the monoliths (it's actually starting to repeat, so now I just skip that in favor of learning one more new word), which was kind of cool to slowly reveal. Sometimes I come upon some wacky spawns of buildings in the sides of mountains, or things supposedly underwater that just . . . aren't. But really those are small quibbles for me.

I think the "illusion" you speak of is really how long the actual gameplay elements keep you engaged. Do you enjoy scanning, harvesting, and crawling across the surface of planets looking for "stuff"? Are you needing a super laid back not really complicated flight sim? Can you just zen out mining large chunks of ore on various planets for 10 minutes at a time? Can these somewhat shallow things propel you forward? If they can, the game is right for you. If not, if you need a mainline story, intense space sim, shooty shooty bang bang style play, or whatever else the game might be missing, then yeah, the game isn't really going to be your thing.

I'm not even thinking of how the game works. I don't care. I care how it plays, and for me the low key nature of the game just . . . soothes me.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

Supposedly turning off V-sync, setting the frame rate to max, and I think... turning off the in game AA helps a lot, if I remember correctly. I think the about or Steam pages might have more info.

Y'know...this is exactly what I did, first thing, but IIRC it said I needed to restart the game and I never did that. So hopefully that helps with my next session. AA always seems to create screen lag, even when it doesn't impact frames per second, and I don't mind tearing except in very worst-case scenarios.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

I run mine on Quad core i5, 8GB RAM and a Geforce 660. Run on Medium settings with V-sync off and max FPS and I don't get any problems.

There was a bit of stutter after the recent patch as it rebuilt the cache, but beyond that it's been silk.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hopefully that does it, yeah. Some info for when you're starting out (no big spoilers I think, but in case you want to figure stuff out on your own):

Items/resources:
    When you break an upgrade down it'll sometimes create a stackable version of an item, which lets you store them way more conveniently. Keep these stacks in your suit, because they will explode into individual items if your ship blows up.

You'll find there are some elements that you always want to have on you, and some rarer ones that are often used in crafting. The rare single items are not worth saving unless you are going to use one soon. Nothing is so rare that you won't find more of it.

Atlas path (very useful):
    Worth following at least until you get the Atlas v1 pass, which lets you unlock the doors on one side of the space stations, which always have a suit inventory slot for sale.

I'm told you should hang on to the stones if you plan to complete this path (but it is possible to reacquire them if needed).

Buildings and stuff on planets:
    - drop pods contain suit inventory slots
    - ruins/plaques/monoliths give you words
    - transmission signals will sometimes lead you to crashed ships

New ships:
    The ships may not have any differences besides looks; some combat looking ones may have a lead indicator but maybe that's an upgrade.

Moving inventories around is a pain, but planning ahead helps.

Upgrades:
    - link them

- try the plasma launcher

Scanning animals:
    - birds are assholes, but if you just track them long enough while zoomed in they'll usually scan
    - animals out of sight will show up as grey dots while scanning; might be limited to land/water/caves, depending on which you're in
    - scanner upgrades on your multitool let you "see" farther away dots

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Atlas v1 pass only lets you open the containers outside. Atlas v2 pass opens the doors.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Atlas v1 pass only lets you open the containers outside. Atlas v2 pass opens the doors.

The doors on the opposite side of the Space station from where the Trade console is are opened with Atlas v1 Pass.

I know this, because I don't have a v2, and I open these doors all the time. The doors down the hallways are v2, but you can still access the suit upgrade that is in each station with a v1.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The doors on the left of the space stations (as you fly in) only need v1.

At least I'm pretty sure I don't have the v2 yet.

• Options
    its a weird thing for me, i feel like i got my moneys worth just in how much time ive spent on it, and now that im fully upgraded my suit/mutitool/ship right now ive been spending all of my time trying to find a very specific ship that im mostly sure is a possibilty based on ships ive seen in game and in screen captures. that caveat is that while doing this im fully aware that once i find and aquire this ship i will have no further self made goals to follow and i feel like ive otherwise seen everything im gonna see in the game and so achieving my biggest goal with simultaneously be the end for me.

• Options
    Meanwhile, I have v2 but haven't gotten a V1. But my suit is full up, so this is better, since I can access those doors in buildings, which commonly have:
    storerooms (more green/yellw/red boxes), hydroponics farms (grab all the carbon), suit upgrades, as well as commonly having wall settings that let you check stocks (free money) or have encyclopedia mounts (to learn words).

I got it at random from a command center.

• Options
    Okay, I think my game is bugged.

I got to a system with a black hole. Map says the system is 156008.9 light years from the center.

Go through black hole, game tells me I've just traveled 796278 light years.

I check the map, and the system I wound up in is 154319.7 light years from the center.

So that's a difference of 1,689.2. Even if they had misplaced a decimal point on the larger map, the math doesn't add up. Unless I'm just circling around the center via the black holes, which would be dumb.

Incidentally, 1600 light years is pretty close to how far I can go in a single warp already (thanks to having all the warp drive upgrades), making the black hole a waste of a time, really.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You are literally circling around the center. So while the Black Hole takes you a lot of Lightyears, it does so sideways, so your movement towards the center is actually extremely limited.

So yeah, after a while they become pointless as they will just break your systems but not take you as far as your actual warp engines.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You are literally circling around the center. So while the Black Hole takes you a lot of Lightyears, it does so sideways, so your movement towards the center is actually extremely limited.

So they're basically a waste of time since the cost of constantly repairing my hardware (Literally had my phase upgrade with omegon in it get busted, ain't fixing that anytime soon.) is more expensive than just making new warp juice.

Okay, good to know.

Yeesh, that means it'll take like nearly 100 more warps to get to the center.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    What if Hello Games designed Rocket League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fcYQ7A0uw

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Welp. I thought I had no need to update my 18-slot multitool. Then I found this.