As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starbound Beta: A New Stable Release May or May Not be Available.

SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Social Entropy++
I currently do not have any information about an SE++ server

here are the very broadest strokes for returning players

The universe is different, no more sectors, but instead increasingly difficult types of star systems. Past a certain point most planets are going to need special upgrades to safely visit, which you will only be able to acquire from completing particular quests

which, yes, there are quests now, you get them from the hub, which is also new and is accessible from any system in the universe via a Strange Gateway which always occupies the orbit furtherest from the star

Here is the Bad News: you can no longer shove trees into your hyperdrive and sail the stars, the game is going to make you work for your freedom, once again that involves completing quests. Learn to love your starting system, you're probably gonna spend a few hours there. Upside is that planets seem to have a greater chance of being interesting now, so it's not all bad.

Here is the other Bad News but possibly Good News: Mission and boss levels are impervious to your matter manipulator, so no more earthbending challenges into triviality. Some dungeons and villages also feature this, but in those instances you can usually find the generator powering the field and deactivate it.

The console just outside of the ship's cockpit is where the ship's A.I. is. That's going to be where you go to upgrade your equipment, manage your techs, 3D print, start missions once you've acquired them, and, very eventually, expand your ship.

So if you feel like you're missing something, poke around with the ship's AI, the outpost, or your questlog

anyways feel free to watch this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sz2zr3pZEo

also here's a quick changelog
Mortal Sky wrote: »
New stable update! The first since March!

universe/worlds

Sectors have been removed, so all stars are part of the same map

Star and planet types correspond to difficulty levels, giving players access to progressively more extreme environments as they advance through the game

Added oceanic world types including tropical and arctic oceans, toxic and magma planets

Added rare Barren and Asteroid worlds with no monsters for large scale building

New biomes

New surface and underground mini biomes

Many changes to surface and underground terrain generation

Improvements to background parallaxes and sky coloration

ships/navigation

Player ships now include an AI avatar specific to each race that gives access to the player’s techs, missions, 3D printer, and a variety of ship-related commands

Each race’s ship has its own unique set of upgrades, giving players much more room to expand as they progress

Fuel costs for travel have been reworked. Moving between planets within a system is now free, while jumps to other systems require fuel in proportion to the distance traveled.

Coal no longer powers spaceships! Instead, they can use either radioactive ores or the new Liquid Erchius Fuel that now appears in Moon biomes

Many improvements to the Cockpit interface, which now indicates more detailed planet information including weather and environmental hazards

outpost

The universe now has a civilized hub containing shops, quests, and other services. This is where players will find quests, missions, and ship upgrades which allow them to advance through the game

Includes a Sign Store based on the popular Custom Signs mod, where players can design and print their own signage for use in game. Thanks Wellbot!

At key points in the progression, players will unlock special Missions

Missions take place in unique instanced dungeons containing special monsters, bosses, and rewards not available anywhere else. Some missions can be quite difficult, so you’ll want to prepare carefully – or bring friends!

novakids

New playable race with their own unique progression of armor sets, craftable guns and ship upgrades!

techs

Techs are now split into head, body, legs and suit slots, so you can equip up to four at once!

Head techs provide various activated effects triggered using the tech hotkeys

Body techs provide lateral movement abilities triggered by double tapping direction keys

Leg techs provide vertical movement abilities triggered with the jump key

Suit techs provide passive protection from specific environmental hazards

New tech unlocking system makes a variety of techs visible each time the player upgrades their ship. The player can then use Blank Tech Cards to unlock and equip these techs

Lots of new techs! Techs techs techs. It’s stopped sounding like a word now.

mining

Matter Manipulator can now be upgraded over the course of the game to increase its mining power, area of effect, and allow it to collect liquids as well as blocks

Pickaxes and drills are more powerful, but have lowered durability and cannot be repaired, making them a consumable alternative to the Matter Manipulator

rock

Smashable rocks found rarely underground contain richer deposits of certain ores

combat

AoE Attack

Energy

Energy regeneration has been changed. Rather than continuously regenerating energy at a slow rate, energy rapidly regenerates when not being used

Using energy that exceeds your maximum pool will disable energy usage for a few seconds until your energy has fully recharged

Staves

New weapon type!

Use a staff by holding the fire button to charge it, aiming, then releasing the button to unleash a powerful effect

Unlike guns, staves manifest their projectiles directly at your targeting cursor for precision combat

A variety of staves can be crafted at the new Manipulator Table

Armors

Beginning at Tier 5, armors are divided into three different progression paths with different stat balances

Separator armors have high armor and low energy for melee weapon users

Accelerator armors have a balance of armor and energy for ranged weapon users

Manipulator armors have low armor and high energy for staff users

Weapons

Many new unique biome weapons

More bows (and crossbows) for higher level hunting

Many new thrown weapons of various tiers

Defense Turrets have been massively improved and can be equipped with a variety of weapons for different effects

monsters

New monster type: large flying monsters

New monster type: large aquatic monsters

Many improvements to monster AI

Birds nerfed– they are now less of a menace

survival

Temperature has been replaced by a system of specific planetary hazards, which the player will need to unlock new technology to resist

Hunger has been removed for now, replaced by an expansion of the cooking system with a variety of buffs (see below)

New difficulty option to drop ores and other valuable materials on death

New crops

Hundreds of new cooking recipes

Cooked foods now provide a wide variety of buffs, with more elaborate recipes giving stronger effects

bugcatching

Bugs unique to each planet type now spawn across the universe

Use the bug net to collect and display them!

wiring

Most lights in game can now be wired

More interactable switches

More sensors, switches, and logic gates

Fixed lots of usability bugs with wiring

other content

Many new status effects

Many new costumes

Many new biome furniture/object sets

Many new block types

Many (over 150) new underground microdungeons

Many new toys and novelty items

performance

Tile rendering

Liquid processing

Many other optimizations

Miscellaneous Improvements

Specialty hotbar slots and keys for Matter Manipulator, Wire Tool and Paint Tool

New font

Keybinding GUI

Character deletion option

modding features

Items are now scriptable

Status effects are now scriptable

New Script Console functionality gives a client-side scripted canvas to build your own GUIs, games, or whatever you can imagine

Many new Lua API bindings

server features

Access to tile protection system, preventing modification of specific dungeon IDs

Ability to set spawn point for a world

Several other new admin commands

rcon support

Seriously on

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    whats the password for the server

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONfEAQdDiQ

Waiting desperately for Novakids

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    god I just adore the music for this game

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Beta sector avian village, head left from beam spot
    -1075150, 76132032

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Have you read any old Penny Arcade strips

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    So this is a game that looks neat.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm super bummed that I did not get to play my first character with you guys, who was randomed into the name Brogiver, before this wipe

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

butts? farts? wang? wangs?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    alright those pokemon looking dudes have completely turned me around on this game being something i should care about

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    btw those are current post patch coords I posted above, get your avian junk/ weapons while they're hot

Weaver on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

butts? farts? wang? wangs?

one of those is right!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    god damnit you fuckers are going to make me get this

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played a bunch of this last weekend

right now it's a bit thin but it's got a lot of potential

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, its super glitchy right now for the initial beta, but it will be something to see once it's polished.

Don't get it right now if you don't like reboot-level crashes or constantly having your player wiped during updates.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oh.. yeah I may wait. But eventually, you fuckers will make me get it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So the second wipe because of weapon balance - is that an imminent thing, like, in the next two or three days? WHAT DO WE KNOW

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Less balancing because that's a silly thing to prioritize in Beta, more changing how fundamental data works with damage and character stats to make a more robust system.

This will happen at least a few more times

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah I just saw the tweet in the steam thread, no idea about the specifics, it just sounded like "whoops that's bad, gotta fix that in the very near future" to me is all

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    okay well

some insane anime-themed gifting monster made sure i had this so

it is installing i guess i'll try it in like ten minutes

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    weapons are totally out of wack

I found an awesome red coloured sword that had a spell effect that looked kinda like the planet saturn. It looks really cool. 3 dps

shitty iron spear i made - 100 dps

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So the second wipe because of weapon balance - is that an imminent thing, like, in the next two or three days? WHAT DO WE KNOW

The answer is not much, although it seems like it would be today.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    My characters, along with my wife's, were already wiped sometime last night. So.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Apparently starbound didn't actually close when I stopped playing earlier.

It was just sitting with a huge chunk of my memory hogged and I didn't notice until I tried to launch it again and Steam was just like "Son are you on drugs? You are already running that game."

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Aww apparently the abundance of ore is a mistake. Hopefully they don't pare it down to pre- patch levels!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I kind of want to pull the trigger on this but I also want Batman Origins or the new AC AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. It's got to go on sale at some point right?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Should I invest in this hopefully being a good game, or buy myself Terraria instead?

• Options
    Steam's xmas blowout starts on the 19th, hold on!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    okay well i built myself a nice little cave with a fire

please tell me you eventually upgrade your mining tool though because fuck how slow this shit is

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    I kind of want to pull the trigger on this but I also want Batman Origins or the new AC AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. It's got to go on sale at some point right?
    There's a chance it might go on sale during the Big Winter Sale, but I think Valve asks for sales information in like October which is well before Chucklefish knew when beta was going to happen. Honestly there's going to be at least one more wipe between now and the Winter Sale, so you might as well hold out.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Should I invest in this hopefully being a good game, or buy myself Terraria instead?
    Terraria is finished and pretty fun, whereas this is a very early beta. A pretty playable beta, and I think it already exceeds Terraria in many ways, but it's not feature-complete and there are character wipes occurring.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

please tell me you eventually upgrade your mining tool though because fuck how slow this shit is

You do! Stone -> copper -> silver -> gold -> platinum -> diamond (dunno what comes after that)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I didn't care about the character wipe...and then I found some semi-nice stuff in a chest.

Now I care too much.

• Options
    how do i make farms

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

Have you made a workbench and a pick yet? You shouldn't be using your matter manipulator past the first few trees and stones.

• Options
    also this crafting menu is horrifying

i've got hella copper, how do i make a better tool

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Don't do it tube

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    how do i make farms

If you have seeds, you can plant them just by using them like other items. The ground does need to be worked by a hoe (you can make a Stone Hoe right at the outset). You then harvest them with the use key (E) once grown.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

Well first you need to make other things and fight a boss.

Then you can save up the relevant materials + boss item to make the thing for crafting with metal.

Or that's my loose understanding that I picked up from what people were saying to me earlier, I was still trying to work out the controls at that point so I may have misunderstood.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular

I assume you already have the stone pickaxe, and have already smelted the copper into bars using the furnace, so use the anvil (press e on it)

There's a search thing thing in the crafting menu that helps find stuff

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    I've got a list of helpful tips, kind of a beginners guide together, but it was pre-patch and now it's a bit out of date. Will try and rework it and post it later.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462