As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread; Oilers Win Draft Lottery

• Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    He instinctively screams “GOOD GOD WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT???” every time he sees the number three.
    I want to start doing that at work

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    This one is kinda the best...
    He’s so dumb, he can’t even tell you what PDO stands for.

• Options
    So ExtraSkater is offline.

This comes the day after NHL.com changed their TOS to ban programs that automatically pull stats data off their website. NHL.com commented yesterday that they werent doing it against any site currently online. Also, theres like three other sites that do the exact same thing as ExtraSkater that are still running. The guy who runs extra skater declined to comment on the change of the TOS and hasent tweeted in three days.

Speculation is that nhl hired him to basically put extraskater on nhl.com

So, the summer of stats continues...

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

This comes the day after NHL.com changed their TOS to ban programs that automatically pull stats data off their website. NHL.com commented yesterday that they werent doing it against any site currently online. Also, theres like three other sites that do the exact same thing as ExtraSkater that are still running. The guy who runs extra skater declined to comment on the change of the TOS and hasent tweeted in three days.

That's good. I'm looking forward to replacing the shots category in my fantasy keeper league with Corsi/Fenwick for. Now if I can just talk people into trading Hits for PIM. Or even Blocked Shots.

• Options
    I'd rather have blocked shots over PIM or Hits, but that's just me. It's a more respectable category.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I'd rather have blocked shots over PIM or Hits, but that's just me. It's a more respectable category.

but hits and PIMs are like, my fantasy wheelhouse
    fsyOsYE.png?1

it doesn't seem to show the full stat breakdowns for previous years but I'm pretty sure my hit differential was massive in 2013

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So apparently a settlement has been reached in the Moore/Bertuzzi case. No details have been released yet though.

PS: Fuck Bertuzzi.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Nope, he joined............get this.........

THE MAPLE LEAFS!!!!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Giguere officially announced his retirement, and I am now officially terrified about having Berra as a backup. Hoping like hell that Roy and Allaire can do for him what they did for Varly last year.

Also, THN logo countdown is at #2 today and in that place is the Coyotes. I don't even. :\

Jayricho on
  • Options
    I totally read the first segment as McGuire and almost did my happy dance... I need more coffee

• Options
    You are permitted to enjoy

http://youtu.be/WPwVmvqxMeo

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hey, that's the rink next to my hometown!
    :D

• Options
    That's the way! Inglewood Jack!

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    So based on nothing other than a gut reaction, much like Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, Aaron Ekblad looks like a douchebag.

• Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    A Vancouver site is claiming that Las Vegas is getting a team, and that Seattle, Toronto and Quebec City are also getting teams.

Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    I'm slightly interested in seeing just how terrible some teams could get by adding 4 more to the league.

• Options
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    A Vancouver site is claiming that Las Vegas is getting a team, and that Seattle, Toronto and Quebec City are also getting teams.

Remember those last two lockouts where the owners said they couldn't make enough money? Yeah, that was all just bullshit. Buy one of our 4 new teams!!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Remember those last two lockouts where the owners said they couldn't make enough money? Yeah, that was all just bullshit. Buy one of our 4 new teams!!

The owners complaining about revenue after the highest revenue season in the NHL's entire history was bullshit?

WAT

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing 2 of the 4 candidates will actually get a team and we'll get 2 nice, even conferences of 16 teams each.

I'm ready to have my heart broken again. Vegas and Seatle will get teams. The Leafs won't allow Toronto2 to happen and Bettman hates Québec.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    quovadis13 wrote: »

The problem with that is in regards to how owners make money with new teams. When a team enters the league brand-spankin'-new, all of the existing owners profit from the new team's entrance fees. The owners don't make a damn thing from moving a team. So when you take a group of business people and give them the option of making a bunch of money or nothing, they'll always take the "bunch of money" option.

From a hockey fan's perspective, it makes more sense to move two teams than to create more teams, which the latter would dilute the talent pool further. A lot of people point to the two Florida teams as examples of suffering markets. But if you pulled the Panthers and put them in a difference market, You guaranteed to have the TB market pick up the Panthers fans (not all, but enough of them to make it worth pointing out). Quebec makes tons of sense, and so does Seattle. @Jean is totally right about the Leafs not allowing another Toronto team. Las Vegas is probably Gretzky's wet dream almost coming to life, but it's a fucking deplorable idea.

Another factor is that the two new teams will need to be in the West, due to East having an extra team in each division. If you put one team in Quebec, you'd have to move another team back West. Creating two new teams in the West solves the discrepancy.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Thought this was kind of funmy. Basically anything slamming EA is funny. I also agree with The Pink Puck on this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ea-sports-under-fire-for-sexist-selfies-in-nhl-15-165338593.html

• Options
    Just so we all know, Sidney Crosby was NOT arrested in Ottawa last night.

Whoops.jpg

• Options
    "Out in Vail" instead of "Ottawa jail" --- Fucking hilarious

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Avs finally get Tyson Barrie re-signed for two years. $2.6M AAV according to Elliotte Friedman. Hoping like hell he can keep up last season's pace.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So, hey, we should probably start talking about me setting up the fantasy league soon

So, Returning players sound off. Any comments about last season? Any changes you want? What's a good draft date? (PM me draft dates please!)

Most importantly: Will you be playing again this season?

Other people interested, if returning people don't comeback?

This season, I'm open to changing from ESPN to some other site! Mostly because I, apparently, forgot my log in info for ESPN! I will, most likely, figure this minor problem out, and resend invites to everyone that was in the league last year. But if anyone has other strong opinions about a different fantasy site, I will consider it.

Also I'm interested in anyone's opinion on scoring systems and the values we assigned to them last season. If you want any changes; left/right wingers, points for PIM, more IR spots, ANYTHING, now is the time.

Also, anyone interested in doing a smaller, keeper league? Cause I sorta want to.

PM me for talking about joining the current league, first come first serve.

PM me if you wanna do a smaller keeper league. The keeper league is just an idea, mostly if I have responses from others that have been in the other PA league for a few years, and have been good, active members.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Ugh! I will not be able to play this year due to life. Someone else will have to win the east and then promptly lose in the playoffs. The keeper league sounds awesome and I wish I had the time.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    I will probably be removing myself from the league this year as well. :(

As a side note, is anyone grabbing NHL 15 for XB1? I need someone to take me under their wing and make me not fucking terrible.

• Options
    downer wrote: »
    As a side note, is anyone grabbing NHL 15 for XB1? I need someone to take me under their wing and make me not fucking terrible.
    I have been terrible at hockey video games since Brett Hull Hockey on SNES. Give me Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel and I'll wreck your face. Make it fully realistic and I blow. Still fun to play, though.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    @Burtletoy‌ Sign me up again cap'n. I don't know how to play a keeper league but I'll play the regular one again.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Not strictly NHL related, but Bob Suter, a member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice team, brother of Gary Suter and father of Ryan Suter, died from a massive heart attack yesterday. It's a pretty sad week for hockey fans here in Madison as he was a rather large legend in the community here.

• Options
    Even in the offseason the Leafs are entertaining.
    http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/576765

“There are players we have in our organization today whose numbers are off-the-chart good, and whose character is just terrible,” Leiweke said to business students at Toronto's Ryerson University. "I don't care how good your numbers are if you have bad character you are doomed for failure."

I bet that's going over just wonderfully.

• Options
    Habs won't name a captain until next season, they'll head into the new season with 4 ''A''s : Markov , Plekanec , Subban and Paccioretty. Markov and Plekanec are permanent A. Subban will wear the 3rd one at home , Pac during away games. After 41 games Subban and Pac will switch.

It was also said they would give a letter to Price if goaltenders were allowed such a title. He will be at the leadership meetings with the other 4 ''A''s

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    DnD fantasy hockey league is active.

I've only heard from, like, 4 people so far.

2 people dropping, 1 person joining, and 1 person staying. And me.

So...?

Any takers?

• Options
    Eh why not, I'll try it out

• Options
    Can you PM me your email address, so I can add you?

Also; @downer and @LeTwig can you guys tell me your teamnames and/or/ owner names so I can remove you from the league?

I think downer already removed himself, but I still have trouble keeping track of all the forum names and team names, since they share little in common in most cases.

Thanks!

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular

Also; @downer and @LeTwig can you guys tell me your teamnames and/or/ owner names so I can remove you from the league?

I think downer already removed himself, but I still have trouble keeping track of all the forum names and team names, since they share little in common in most cases.

Thanks!

Yeah I took myself out.

• Options

Thanks!

Sent :)

• Options
    First Bruins pre-season game is next Tuesday. Yes, it's just pre-season... BUT FUCKING HOCKEY IS BACK!!!

• Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular

Thanks!

Saskatoon Sasquatch was my team name.