As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FireFall

FalconerFalconer Registered User regular
Does anyone play FireFall at all? I never heard of the game, but I got an interview with the gaming company that makes this game Red 5. They're not a super small company in a garage while they're not a gaming company with its own building or campus. All I know is that FireFall and the studio was started by a guy that worked for Blizzard and WoW and decided to start his own company.

So does anyone here play the game? Or would anyone that plays WoW know what FireFall is since it is made by someone who worked on WoW? Just trying to gauge it's popularity and who plays it.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I heard of it once while it was in development, liked the art style, and then it fell off my radar.

• Options
    XandarXandar Registered User regular
    G&T has a thread here. I have not tried it, the last page seems to indicate some turmoil?

OsokC8u.png
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    every time i see the logo i briefly mistake it for starcraft, which i also do not play. hth

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    FireFall also has links to the original Tribes developers

it's primary attribute is that it has been in development forever and they seem to have almost nothing to show for it

I've given it a few shots and found it to be a confounding mixture of soggy shootemup gameplay and a messy quest system

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    every time I see it at pax (since 2011) the on floor reps were like "oh, it will be out in ~6 months"

and the thing they showed at pax every time (pvp) is cut from the game now? not a great sign

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I've been seeing it at PAX East since 2011 and it's still not out

Probably not a good sign

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    FireFall also has links to the original Tribes developers

it's primary attribute is that it has been in development forever and they seem to have almost nothing to show for it

I've given it a few shots and found it to be a confounding mixture of soggy shootemup gameplay and a messy quest system

It's been awhile since I last played, but it wasn't very good. The shooting was unsatisfying, not least because the enemies had massive amounts of hitpoints and took forever to kill even with other players. The hit detection didn't seem very good in PvP either. The jetpacks and whatnot were kind of cool but I felt like they were seriously gimped and I was really just making a tall jump, though I hear they've changed it somewhat since then. The crafting system was obtuse and a huge time and resource sink and they've overhauled it several times so I don't even know what the fuck about that any more. And as far as I can tell they haven't added any significant amount of game since I played like a year or more ago so it's still the same tiny area with fuckall to do. Not a bad concept for a game, and I think the art style is gorgeous, but the devs can't seem to get their shit straight.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I saw it at PAX East a few times. I yelled "I love FIREFALL" and followed them on Twitter and did their scavenger hunt. In exchange I got a dice bag and some blue plastic-gem things. I like those for Ascension, since it looks nice to use the blue gems instead of the red ones. Goes better with the new Rise of Vigil deck.

But other than seeing it at Pax, I got nothing.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    every time I see it at pax (since 2011) the on floor reps were like "oh, it will be out in ~6 months"

and the thing they showed at pax every time (pvp) is cut from the game now? not a great sign

On the plus side they always have that thick cushy mat under their booth which is so nice when you walk around the expo floor. That's the extent of my FireFall knowledge, that they are the providers of the cushy expo floor mat

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    First registered for "beta" about half a decade ago at PAX. Took a couple of years for an invite. The gameplay was worse, with less features than were showcased when I first saw it at their first PAX exhibit, and then they started trying to do microtransactions during their "extended beta". The game once had potential, years ago. It's crap.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Every time I've installed it it's just been one partially completed zone and yeah they had micropurchases in the game before they even had a second zone to my knowledge

also i died to enemies that were stuck inside mountains but could still shoot you

this was like... years into the beta

pretty much the case study for why you shouldn't put your shit out before it's ready

anyone who would ever have played that thing got pissed off by it already

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Back when Occupy was going on as a big thing, I went to help out at a local Occupy Seattle kitchen tent, and I wore the Firefall shirt I got from that first PAX where they did a big exhibit, and while I was scrubbing dishes in the cold, a couple of kids walked past, saw my shirt, and actually yelled out "Firefall? AHAHAHAHAAH" laughed at me and walked off. I am not making any of this up.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Still less of a mess than BF4 is right now.

Havn't fired it up in a while, might as well give it a shot.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Their booth at PAX is always fucking huge

This is all I know about firefall

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i thought this thread meant the game was finally out

i feel like at some point you just have to cut your losses and release a game

who is even funding these guys

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    venture capital plus microtransactions, presumably.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    i thought this thread meant the game was finally out

i feel like at some point you just have to cut your losses and release a game

who is even funding these guys

probably got sweet parachutes from Blizzard, and apparently Red5 was bought in 2010 by an asian company, so even more cash

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Fired it up, looks like they've added a lot of new content and battleframes since I've played it last. Completely reworked the leveling system for frames as well. Looks like there's three stats that determine what kind of weapons, abilities, and stuff you can equip on one: Mass, Power, and CPU. As you upgrade those stats by spending XP and resources, you can unlock Pilot tokens that you can use to buy new frames.

...oh my god there's a flamethrower battleframe. sold!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    shame to hear what happened to this game. I was pretty excited about it.... y-years ago.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    They've added/reworked things every few months for years

then they wipe it

and hey totally new microtransactions

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    An old friend of mine had a job at this studio years ago. He got laid off then got a job with Blizzard. Probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    I last played it a month or two ago. It's pretty good fun if you run around with a friend. Needs work/content and will probably be really good when they finish it, just don't hold your breath. Barely notice the latency from Australia compared with other online shooters.

• Options
    Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    P.S. Bastion frame is best frame.