As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Ok, time to surprise the haters, Lentz. Let's do this.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    The scorecard for Barboza/Castillo

Only one 10-8...

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Like whats the point of even having 10-x scoring. Just give 1 point or 0 and be done with it. Short of literally knocking someones head off their shoulder I don't think you'll even see a 10-7.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    forgot there was a card tonight

Now that I'm here just wait, all the rest of the fights will be decisions

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »

It's not like all the fights weren't decisions before you got here.

Is it the lights or is Faber extra orange tonight

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    B:L wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

It's not like all the fights weren't decisions before you got here.

nvm, I meant now that I'm here the finishes can start!

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Wow.

steam_sig.png
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Wow is right.

Steam ID : BigKev87
    Maidana humped Broner.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I missed a Barboza event. What's the point of even being alive anymore?

Fuck off and die.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    So, worth watching this event? Yes?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    yeah, was alright

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    So, Semtex sent a guy back in time last night...

Lifted him off his feet...

BAMMA is his only home now he can't get a visa.

Jesus Christ.

Fuck off and die.
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    My jaw hit the floor when DJ knocked out Benavidez.

Never in a million years would I have predicted that to happen.

Its moments like this that remind me why I'm an MMA fan.

Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Yeah you missed Barboza gettin his ass whooped and winning a shit decision.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Turn the fight off after the first round, or did your buddy get to your place with the spray paint in between the first and second?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee

You're insane of you think he lost the second round. Biased if you think he lost the third.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013

You're insane of you think he lost the second round. Biased if you think he lost the third.

I agree with this obviously.

Although all things being equal the one judge that called the first round 10-8 had it right on the money, the fight should have been a draw.

But I think if you had to pick a winner (you don't) I'd go with Barboza, dude would had finished if this was a 5 round fight.

RedTide on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Faber looked great

His record really is pretty damn strange, though. 30 wins, many against really solid competition. 6 losses, every single one to a reigning champion. Poor guy just can't break that top spot and get his belt

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    Neli wrote: »
    Faber looked great

His record really is pretty damn strange, though. 30 wins, many against really solid competition. 6 losses, every single one to a reigning champion. Poor guy just can't break that top spot and get his belt

Between that and his love of submissions it still amazes me that people haven't taken to calling him "The Choke Artist"

And absolutely right if I think he lost the first round 10-8 before winning the next two 10-9, meaning the fight should have been a draw.

So you saying Barboza got his ass whooped meant you thought the fight was a draw? Sounds about right.

BigKev wrote: »
    So you saying Barboza got his ass whooped meant you thought the fight was a draw? Sounds about right.
    Yeah because Barboza got his ass whooped in the first round.

I don't. Think that's.

Wait. This is too complicated. DUE out

steam_sig.png
    I don't. Think that's.

Wait. This is too complicated. DUE out
    It's not complicated at all. Peter Ebel missed watching Barboza getting his ass whooped for the whole first round, then Barboza won a shit decision because that first round should've been a 10-8 against him leading to a draw even though he won the subsequent rounds.

You're saying he lost the first round so bad that he should have lost the next two? Hmm. Hmm.

steam_sig.png
    You're saying he lost the first round so bad that he should have lost the next two? Hmm. Hmm.
    No I never said that at all.

Rephrase. That according to MMA scoring he lost the first round so bad he should have lost the next two despite his actual performance.

steam_sig.png

Rephrase. That according to MMA scoring he lost the first round so bad he should have lost the next two despite his actual performance.
    Ah, I see where the confusion lies.

In MMA scoring, they have adopted the 10-Point-Must system of boxing, where each round is scored separately and the winner of each round is given 10 points. For the loser of the rounds, they get 9 points if they put up a decent fight, or 8 points if they are completely dominated like Barboza was. In boxing they get 9 for a close round, 8 for getting dominated or knocked down once, and 7 for getting knocked down twice. Any point deductions are taken off that round's score.

After the match is over, the scores for each round are added up, and the victor is the one with the higher score. In a 3 round MMA bout, the typical score is 30 (10 + 10 + 10) - 27 (9 + 9 + 9). In this bout, however, it should have been a draw with a 10-8 first round leading to a 28 (10 + 9 + 9) - 28 (8 + 10 + 10) tied score. Barboza did not lose the next two rounds, however he was so badly dominated in the first round that his overall score should have been impacted. It was right to score the next two rounds 10-9 for Barboza, but the first round is as close to 10-8 as it can get in MMA.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    you guys silly

815165 wrote: »
    you guys silly
    no these guys silly

edited December 2013
    And these guys silly.
    1466088_10152082933066276_1698522417_n.jpg

BigKev on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    only terrorists send group texts

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Ah, I see where the confusion lies.

In MMA scoring, they have adopted the 10-Point-Must system of boxing, where each round is scored separately and the winner of each round is given 10 points. For the loser of the rounds, they get 9 points if they put up a decent fight, or 8 points if they are completely dominated like Barboza was. In boxing they get 9 for a close round, 8 for getting dominated or knocked down once, and 7 for getting knocked down twice. Any point deductions are taken off that round's score.

After the match is over, the scores for each round are added up, and the victor is the one with the higher score. In a 3 round MMA bout, the typical score is 30 (10 + 10 + 10) - 27 (9 + 9 + 9). In this bout, however, it should have been a draw with a 10-8 first round leading to a 28 (10 + 9 + 9) - 28 (8 + 10 + 10) tied score. Barboza did not lose the next two rounds, however he was so badly dominated in the first round that his overall score should have been impacted. It was right to score the next two rounds 10-9 for Barboza, but the first round is as close to 10-8 as it can get in MMA.

You can make a good argument that Barboza won the second round 10-8 so really it should have ended up with him winning 28-27.

So, the UFC is gonna lunch some kinda streaming thing that can show fighting at not ungodly hours here in Midgård. It's all Hell of vague right now, but I like where this is going.

Fuck off and die.
    Magell wrote: »
    You can make a good argument that Barboza won the second round 10-8 so really it should have ended up with him winning 28-27.
    If you can argue that the second round was a borderline 10-8 for Barboza, then the first round is a clear 10-7 for Castillo so really it would still have ended up with a draw 27-27.