As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Here's the current heavyweight rankings. They were last updated this past Monday, so it doesn't take the Japan event into account.

1 Fabricio Werdum
    2 Junior Dos Santos
    3 Travis Browne
    4 Stipe Miocic
    5 Josh Barnett
    6 Mark Hunt
    7 Andrei Arlovski
    8 Roy Nelson
    9 Bigfoot Silva
    10 Ben Rothwell
    11 Alistair Overeem
    12 Gabriel Gonzaga
    13 Frank Mir
    14 Stefan Struve
    15 Minotauro Nogueira

Werdum is getting the next title shot. JDS and Miocic are facing each other. Browne is facing Schaub.

Hunt almost certainly takes Barnett's place in the top 5. I'm not sure who you put him against after this. Maybe the winner of JDS/Miocic?

Nelson and Silva just lost their last fights. May as well have them fight each other.

I'd like to see Rothwell vs. Arlovski. And if you're going to keep Big Nog around, you may as well get some Pride nostalgia out of him with another Barnett fight. They've got a trilogy to finish up, after all.

With Struve facing Reem and Gonzaga facing Mitrione, that covers everyone in the top 15 besides Frank Mir. If he's staying around, I'm really not sure who they should put him against. It's hard to match up a guy with 4 losses in a row.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/bellator-champ-emanuel-newton-fought-joey-beltran-on-a-meal-replacement-shake?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bellator light heavyweight champ Emanuel Newton said he felt his legs weaken in the middle of a fight with Joey Beltran at this past Friday’s Bellator 124. It was an unfamiliar feeling made more acute by Beltran’s constant aggression.

Considering what he chose to do the day of the fight, however, it’s no surprise he didn’t feel completely up to snuff.

“I’m on this whole spiritual fix where I’m going off my spiritual energy in the fight instead of the energy in my flesh,” Newton told MMAjunkie Radio. “So I didn’t really eat that day. I had this new supplement called 30 For Life; it’s an all organic meal replacement shake, but it only has 110 calories in a scoop.

“So I was going off a protein shake in a fight, so I wasn’t able to be as aggressive or throwing as many shots as I wanted to, but it just goes to show how well I can adapt in a fight.”
    What a fucking idiot

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Ok, I'll watch the video because Chessboxing gave it a good reaction.

I usually can only stand so much of Wanderlei's rambling, let alone 13 minutes of it.

His rambling about the UFC gets old in the video but the old highlights are really cool and put together well and you can see he's being genuine in his thank you to the fans. He has some very valid points about the UFC as well they're just kind of negated a good bit because of his mess with running from drug testing, he most likely did this because the UFC wouldn't allow him to fight again without dealing with the commission.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also haven't seen the fight yet but it doesn't surprise me Hunt was able to capitalize on the way Nelson ducks down when he throws that bomb of his. Hunt is just a better striker, he stays more up right and digs into the floor more.

Nelson definitely should have played it smarter like Beel said, especially knowing Hunt had such a big weight cut. Though getting it to the ground definitely could have paid off for him.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/bellator-champ-emanuel-newton-fought-joey-beltran-on-a-meal-replacement-shake?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bellator light heavyweight champ Emanuel Newton said he felt his legs weaken in the middle of a fight with Joey Beltran at this past Friday’s Bellator 124. It was an unfamiliar feeling made more acute by Beltran’s constant aggression.

Considering what he chose to do the day of the fight, however, it’s no surprise he didn’t feel completely up to snuff.

“I’m on this whole spiritual fix where I’m going off my spiritual energy in the fight instead of the energy in my flesh,” Newton told MMAjunkie Radio. “So I didn’t really eat that day. I had this new supplement called 30 For Life; it’s an all organic meal replacement shake, but it only has 110 calories in a scoop.

“So I was going off a protein shake in a fight, so I wasn’t able to be as aggressive or throwing as many shots as I wanted to, but it just goes to show how well I can adapt in a fight.”
    What a fucking idiot

Pretty much.

Though I feel like he and Diego Sanchez would get along really well.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ, Hunt was slipping rights like Anderson Silva! And a fucking face plant KO!

GODDAMN!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    huh

time zones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    No. Really, he should be cut. Apparently, he's a great kick boxer. He can come back when he has the skills and presence of mind to put that to work in the octagon.
    Carmont lost his last 3 fights to a surging Leites, Dollaway, and fucking Jacare.

This is after beating Costa Philippou.

I absolutely think Carmont should not have been cut as that is an insane level of talent he was fighting.

Hard to stick around when you're on a 3 fight skid and not a crowd favourite. And while Jacare qualifies for "insane" level talent Philippous, Leites and Dollaway are second tier guys.

Philippou was on a five fight UFC win streak and in the middleweight top 10 when Carmont beat him. He was being hyped as the next big thing.

Leites is 24-4. He has beaten Marquardt, Lister, Taylor, Troeng (back when Troeng was in the midst of winstreaks, both before and after losing to Leites), Horn, and some UFC journeymen before beating Carmont. He is on a 7 fight winstreak and is the #11 ranked middleweight in the UFC. While he may not have name recognition, he is hardly a "B-level" guy.

CB Dollaway is currently on a 5 fight winstreak (the Boetsch fight counts as a win and the UFC even saw it that way) and is fighting Lyoto Machida next. Dollaway is also a top 10 middleweight. Dollaway has also fought Brazilian fighters in Brazil on 2 occasions (Brazilians have a skewed 70%+ win rate when fighting in Brazil) and fought Joe Doerkson in Canada and beat him. (60%+ win rate skewed towards Canadians in those fights) Dollaway has a mediocre start and a huge stumble back when he mainly identified as a wrestler (almost got KO'd by a one-legged Mayhem Miller) but has shown crazy improvements in his striking in the last few years.

---

People like Camozzi, Natal, Catone, Craig, Strickland, Hester - These guys are unknowns to the general public, but the above are not.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    One of Mark's wins was out-cardioing Ben Rothwell over 3 rounds at high altitude. He's always had better cardio than Roy.
    Roy has GREAT cardio at heavyweight despite his gut. The only time he gasses out are when he's sick or when he's outworked by a better opponent, which would gas out anyone.

As for the Hunt/Rothwell match... did you watch that fight or at least remember it? He was barely out-cardioing Rothwell, and that's not much of an accomplishment. Both fighters were exhausted by the 2nd round. Also Hunt was down to his last tank against Struve before landing a KO. His cardio is not that good, but he does retain KO power and unlike a lot of fighters he maintains his fighting spirit.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also, fuck yeah, Hunto! I was so wrong.

There is such a difference when you put guys like Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson next to one another. Mark was 340lbs before his camp and his belly was almost non-existant. Nelson seemed bigger than he ever has, stomach-wise.

Nelson needs to drop down to 205. He looks horrible out there and while I like the guy, his overhand rights are just not cutting it for him in the HW division.

---

Nakai was not embarrassed by Tate like I was worried she was going to be. She's fought mostly cans up until this point and went straight into a fight with the #2 ranked lady at 135 in the UFC. That's a tall order for anyone and I will be happy to see the loss ranking her in the top 15 at 135, probably around 11 or 12, while Tate may take a hit for not dominating the fight in a more efficient fashion.

---

Sexyama destroyed the TUF 7 winner. I didn't expect that kind of a beatdown.

---

Gomi should have retired while he was on a small winstreak. He still should hang em up. Jury continues to move towards a title shot at a glacial pace.

---

Johnny Cagse choked Tokudome to hard that Tokudome's eyes roll into the back of his head and he looks dead.

---

Lim smashed Sato because of his dumb hair.

---

Kikkuno is still a fun guy to watch, he'll just never be a top 10 guy.

----

Holy shit the end of round 1 Cacares/Kanehara. I still don't know how Bruce Leeroy recovered. Had me all sorts of freaked out. Kanehara is legit, I am sad to see Leeroy lose, but Kanehara looks like he'll be a fantastic addition to the UFC roster.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    No. Really, he should be cut. Apparently, he's a great kick boxer. He can come back when he has the skills and presence of mind to put that to work in the octagon.
    Carmont lost his last 3 fights to a surging Leites, Dollaway, and fucking Jacare.

I absolutely think Carmont should not have been cut as that is an insane level of talent he was fighting.

Hard to stick around when you're on a 3 fight skid and not a crowd favourite. And while Jacare qualifies for "insane" level talent Philippous, Leites and Dollaway are second tier guys.

Philippou was on a five fight UFC win streak and in the middleweight top 10 when Carmont beat him. He was being hyped as the next big thing.

Leites is 24-4. He has beaten Marquardt, Lister, Taylor, Troeng (back when Troeng was in the midst of winstreaks, both before and after losing to Leites), Horn, and some UFC journeymen before beating Carmont. He is on a 7 fight winstreak and is the #11 ranked middleweight in the UFC. While he may not have name recognition, he is hardly a "B-level" guy.

CB Dollaway is currently on a 5 fight winstreak (the Boetsch fight counts as a win and the UFC even saw it that way) and is fighting Lyoto Machida next. Dollaway is also a top 10 middleweight. Dollaway has also fought Brazilian fighters in Brazil on 2 occasions (Brazilians have a skewed 70%+ win rate when fighting in Brazil) and fought Joe Doerkson in Canada and beat him. (60%+ win rate skewed towards Canadians in those fights) Dollaway has a mediocre start and a huge stumble back when he mainly identified as a wrestler (almost got KO'd by a one-legged Mayhem Miller) but has shown crazy improvements in his striking in the last few years.

---

People like Camozzi, Natal, Catone, Craig, Strickland, Hester - These guys are unknowns to the general public, but the above are not.

Sure, but I didn't say they aren't good fighters, just that they're not "insane level" middleweights. If Carmont had a win over a top drawer middleweight like Machida, Jacare or Belfort I'd be with you. Costa, Leites and CB are a level below that.

• Options
    B:L wrote: »
    One of Mark's wins was out-cardioing Ben Rothwell over 3 rounds at high altitude. He's always had better cardio than Roy.
    Roy has GREAT cardio at heavyweight despite his gut. The only time he gasses out are when he's sick or when he's outworked by a better opponent, which would gas out anyone.

As for the Hunt/Rothwell match... did you watch that fight or at least remember it? He was barely out-cardioing Rothwell, and that's not much of an accomplishment. Both fighters were exhausted by the 2nd round. Also Hunt was down to his last tank against Struve before landing a KO. His cardio is not that good, but he does retain KO power and unlike a lot of fighters he maintains his fighting spirit.

Mark sometimes appears as if he's down to his last gas tank, and yet except for his fight with JDS he always finds reserves beyond what his opponent has. (And against JDS he broke his toe only 90 seconds in, so he was fighting Cigano hobbled for most of the fight (and yet was easily outstriking JDS before the injury)). That's why beyond the first round the majority of Mark's results are good. Roy's aren't. He fades and is much, much less effective beyond the first 5 minutes.

• Options

---

Sure, but I didn't say they aren't good fighters, just that they're not "insane level" middleweights. If Carmont had a win over a top drawer middleweight like Machida, Jacare or Belfort I'd be with you. Costa, Leites and CB are a level below that.
    I suppose hyperbole is the name of the game. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options

---

I suppose hyperbole is the name of the game. :P

It is the fun way to play it, I'll admit that.

• Options
    Jesus Christ, Hunt was slipping rights like Anderson Silva! And a fucking face plant KO!

GODDAMN!

One thing that amazed me in his fight with Bigfoot was how even when he was completely exhausted he made subtle movements to slip shots. Was just incredible.

My friend and sparring partner won a 3 round decision tonight in a thai boxing match, really cool, he had gotten talked into taking two fights in thailand when he was still very very early into things and dropped both to pro fighters so seeing him get a win was huge.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    "Strasser"'s decision win was a load of horseshit.

Also, Gomi. :(

• Options
    I don't know if anyone caught this, but a few guys showed up at a recent Bellator event.

I love how they called them "MMA fighters". All vague. Haha.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    My thoughts on the event:

I love how Hunt knows when he has KO'd someone.

As soon as he landed that shot he stopped swinging and backed off while Roy was still on his feet.

So awesome.

And Sexyama outstriking Amir. Damn.

A good night of fights.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    The UFC just trolled Thiago Silva by rehiring him, then firing him again shortly after.

• Options

• Options
    TAKBIR!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I love how Hunt knows when he has KO'd someone.

He may not be the best fighter on the planet but he's easily the coolest.

• Options
    Daaaaaaaaaamn
    What a severe mismatch, blue guy was just standing still in front of his opponent, head pops up whenever he exchanges, circles to his opponent's power side and drops his hands.

That extra shot at the end was just uncalled for.

• Options
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Daaaaaaaaaamn
    What a severe mismatch, blue guy was just standing still in front of his opponent, head pops up whenever he exchanges, circles to his opponent's power side and drops his hands.

That extra shot at the end was just uncalled for.

Did you listen to the commentary? Blue guy was winning by out-grappling other dude for the first two rounds.

That extra shot was definitely excessive. When you kick a man in the head hard enough for him to fly through the air, the fight is probably over.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Also, Hunto is the besto.

The UFC needs more guys like that. He's not the best fighter ever, and he won't be getting the belt*, but he fights with charisma. He's not much one for talking, but man is he fun to watch.

*though I wouldn't mind seeing him try

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Weidman out of Weidman/Belfort, replaced by Johny Hendricks vs Robbie Lawler 2 on Dec. 6

• Options
    Ducking Vitor bro.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ...always ducking Vitor.

• Options
    Meh, it's only a 2 month delay. Word is that the fight is happening in February now.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    ...always ducking TRTtor.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    UFC to implement random out of competion PED tests

Should be starting next year. Apparently they're going to look away from "street drugs" focus solely on performance enhancing drugs.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    UFC to implement random out of competion PED tests

Should be starting next year. Apparently they're going to look away from "street drugs" focus solely on performance enhancing drugs.

The Diaz bros are rolling a fatty in honor of this.

Well... they were already rolling a fatty but now it's in honor of this.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So the NSAC had a hearing today to decide the punishments for Jones and Cormier over their brawl. Wandy was also up. Here are the results.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/23/6833915/ufc-jon-jones-and-daniel-cormier-appear-before-the-nsac-for-disciplinary

Here are some of the more important bits if you don't feel like reading the entire thing:

- Jones and his lawyer said he lost a six-figure Nike deal due to the brawl and another unnamed major sponsorship offer was taken off the table.

- Another commissioner pointed out the absence of Dana White might have played a role and that the UFC learned that "a real presence" is required. (poor Dave Scholler got tossed under the bus during this thing, apparently.

- A commissioner suggested a $50,000 fine and 4 days of community service. The state Attorney General reminded the commissioners that any fine would have to go to the state general fund and could not be earmarked for special expenditures such as drug testing for the UFC.

- The commission voted to impose a $50,000 fine on Jon Jones and 40 hours of community service term in lieu of a suspension.

As far as I can tell from Twitter, it looks like those 40 hours of community service have to be done in Vegas. Considering Jones trains in New Mexico, that sucks pretty bad for him.

- Another commissioner asked Cormier if he had the opportunity to do it again today if he would. Cormier said "no. This is my moment in the limelight. I haven't done the things Jones has done in his career. I don't want to be remembered as the guy who brawled in the hotel lobby."

- Cormier said that although he had no Nike deal to lose he did lose a "substantial" number of students for various programs he coaches.

- The commissioners discussed a possible $9000 fine as 10% of Cormier's purse to be consistent with the size of Jones' fine as a % of the fighter's purse as well as 20 hours of community service. That penalty is agreed upon.

As for Wandy, it sounds like it was a good thing he decided to retire:

- The commission then heard from the attorney for Wanderlei Silva who dodged NSAC officials who were attempting to administer a drug test earlier this year. The commissioners called for an indefinite suspension at the request of the Attorney Generals office which is recommending that a strong example be sent to fighters that they cannot run from drug tests.

- The commission imposed an indefinite suspension/lifetime ban and $70,000 fine on Silva.

If all of this sounds heavy handed, there's a good reason:

- The commissioners said they are "pissed off" at the outcome of "the last time we tried to do something non-traditional" which presumably refers to attempts to use Chael Sonnen as an advisor on drug testing and testosterone replacement issues.

They were definitely out there to make examples of these guys, especially Silva. The last guy who ran from a test that I know of was Overeem and I don't remember anything significant happening to him because of it.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    50k and 9k is a joke for what a mess that was. They needed to set an example so that sort of shit doesn't happen. They'll make plenty more then that off of the extra sales from the hype over that shit show.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones)
    9/23/14, 1:25 PM
    40 hours of community service in Vegas with a fight coming up is the only thing that really concerns me.

9/23/14, 1:26 PM
    The fact that this needs to be completed before the fight is definitely going to have effect on my camp. I respect the commission though

And also:

David Bixenspan (@davidbix)
    9/23/14, 1:43 PM
    Hahahaha they’re gonna let Cormier do his community service in San Jose. Time to screen grab some Jones tweets.

Unless it's clarified in the future, it sounds like Cormier gets to do his service where he trains, whereas Jones doesn't. Kind of a shitty deal, really.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    9/23/14, 1:25 PM
    40 hours of community service in Vegas with a fight coming up is the only thing that really concerns me.

9/23/14, 1:26 PM
    The fact that this needs to be completed before the fight is definitely going to have effect on my camp. I respect the commission though

I don't know how he'll manage to get 40 hours in over the course of three months.

If he spent half an hour every day he would only have about 3 weeks left to dedicate 100% to his camp.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Yeah...obviously most of us aren't personally fans of Jones, but that's a pretty awful punishment with a fight coming up.

You could make it just as severe and not impose such a stiff penalty on him. Give him the same amount time to do the service, but make it begin after his fight. And say it has to be completed then or he loses his license in the state. It's not difficult to be a little more lenient on the time of the punishment and still punish him, especially if you're making him go to Vegas to do it. That's a 9 1/2 hour drive and a 1 1/2 flight, plus the time to actually do the community service, plus whatever time he needs for his training camp.

I'm 100% not on board with punishments that diminish a fighter's capacity to train for a fight that's already been scheduled. That's just a dick move by the commission. Jones would probably have rather been fined a hell of a lot more than have the service get in the way of his training.

• Options
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/23/6834133/jon-jones-lost-nike-endorsement-following-media-day-brawl

Love it. Hopefully next fighter they endorse will be someone who can be a professional and isn't a colossal douche.