As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    What is sad though is how so often on Fox News the people ripping on women are the women themselves. It's a weird, sad dynamic.

It's Fox. Either she believes it or she's doing it for the pay check.

She is specifically there to sit on the end of the table and wear a short skirt. Fox is nothing more than her pimp.

Cog on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    B1Ea0yJCcAAmISn.png

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Goddamnit Fox...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's gone from enraging to wearisome right around to actually funny that they have not changed in the least little bit. You so crazy, FOX.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    CNN is reporting the same thing. In fact, this is the first I've heard that it was a private company's rocket that exploded, but I basically get all my news in the 10-15s it takes me to get through the lobby and into an elevator.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm sure they find it easier to say it's NASA rather than spend time explaining that the US no longer leads the way in space exploration.

If this is a private company, then yeah. lol

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It was a private rocket, but I think it was carrying a NASA payload. Though I'm slightly disappointed in Fox's misspelling machine. I was half expecting ISS to be ISIS

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Kinda funny but the reporting on this has been very similar across networks. Before it blew everybody was talking about it being a private company doing the launch and touting that. But the second it blows up everybody is talking about how the NASA rocket blew up on launch its pretty embarassing.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Seriously, fuck our corporate media, bunch of dishonest assholes. Also incredibly stupid fucking assholes to boot. I know there are losers that will eat their shit right up and forget the narrative leading right up to the launch, but I'm pretty sure most are going to be insulted by the insinuation that their memories aren't that good and that they don't have access to sources that show the media is full of shit. At least the local stations have been better about reporting accurately, which makes me sad that a bunch want to emulate the dumbass national media outlets.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    CNN's headline is "NASA-contracted rocket explodes"

which may be even worse than Fox

like, it makes sure to specify that it's contracted out to a private company but then goes ahead and throws NASA under the bus just because

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    CNN's headline is "NASA-contracted rocket explodes"

which may be even worse than Fox

like, it makes sure to specify that it's contracted out to a private company but then goes ahead and throws NASA under the bus just because

Private sector and free market are infallible. It was only the taint of the government ilk that doomed this noble endeavor.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I think people are reading too much into this. The headline is there to capture and sell the story, in this case it's that a rocket exploded, but that's not really enough detail to grab a reader. It's not that the news organizations are out to blame the government and praise the capitalists, it's that they're trying to sell the spectacle and aren't interested in assigning blame unless that's also a good story.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Hell, even MSNBC called it a NASA rocket instead of specifying it was a NASA payload on a private rocket.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    I think people are reading too much into this. The headline is there to capture and sell the story, in this case it's that a rocket exploded, but that's not really enough detail to grab a reader. It's not that the news organizations are out to blame the government and praise the capitalists, it's that they're trying to sell the spectacle and aren't interested in assigning blame unless that's also a good story.

So you're on Team Incompetent then?

Because if they didn't intentionally twist the narrative to support a specific agenda, then they did it inadvertently and to the detriment of the truth. You know, that thing reporters are supposed to report on, ideally.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Calling it a NASA rocket is wrong though. So they probably shouldn't report wrong things.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I bet half the people who see the headline don't bother to click the link. Headlies are always wrong. Especially when it isn't any harder to put actual facts in them.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Then why did Fox change its headline from the private company to NASA?

• Options
    edited October 2014

They didn't change the headline, it was a different story. NASA sending a rocket to ISS isn't a story, but a private company doing it will generate some interest. The rocket exploding was it's own story, and attaching NASA to that in the headline is an easier bit of context than Orbital Sciences; a name that most people still won't recognize.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    If a private company sending a rocket to the ISS is a story, surely a private company's rocket exploding is an even better one.

• Options

They didn't change the headline, it was a different story. NASA sending a rocket to ISS isn't a story, but a private company doing it will generate some interest. The rocket exploding was it's own story, and attaching NASA to that in the headline is an easier bit of context than Orbital Sciences; a name that most people still won't recognize.

It is often easier to be wrong to generate interest in stories.

It's pretty much this thread's raison d'etre

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Except, no-one really needs to know false context. Even if no-one's ever heard of the company, everyone can understand the concept of a rocket exploding. attaching NASA to that stinks of trying to adhere to a narrative of "NASA BAD".

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If a private company sending a rocket to the ISS is a story, surely a private company's rocket exploding is an even better one.

But it didn't explode

NASA's exploded

Good god, man, don't you watch the news?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

"Private company rocket headed to ISS" -> "Private company rocket explodes"

not

"Private company rocket headed to ISS" -> "NASA rocket explodes"

It isn't a different story, it's the same story but without the lying

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

It is often easier to be wrong to generate interest in stories.

It's pretty much this thread's raison d'etre

Couldn't agree more. I've no doubt that the person who wrote that headline knew that it was misleading, but did so hoping it would lead to more page views because of name recognition plus spectacle.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

A perfect example of why a for-profit media is insanely stupid

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Wait, what? How does for-profit play into this? There is plenty of good journalism done for a profit, and I doubt it being run as a non-profit would change anything about how biased outlets report stories.

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »

Wait, what? How does for-profit play into this? There is plenty of good journalism done for a profit, and I doubt it being run as a non-profit would change anything about how biased outlets report stories.

Because if it weren't for profit there would be no reason to change the title to generate more traffic. The emphasis, in theory, would be on reporting true things.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    Sticks wrote: »

Because if it weren't for profit there would be no reason to change the title to generate more traffic. The emphasis, in theory, would be on reporting true things.

Now now, sometimes it's to further an ideology...

Which can be to gain profits...

But that can also be, oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    So this is something I've been thinking about lately while reading this thread but what exactly is our alternative to for-profit media? The only options I see are government-run media which is obviously host to its own bias and non-profit which seems to likely have similar partiality as government-run.

Is the answer for-profit but with better regulations, for instance, reinstatement of the fairness doctrine?

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Honestly, there's no way to have a non-profit media because then you get Asian media.

The best solution is to somehow drive to more independent media again. Most of the problems we have are from the megaconglomerate media corporations that run the majors.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    So this is something I've been thinking about lately while reading this thread but what exactly is our alternative to for-profit media? The only options I see are government-run media which is obviously host to its own bias and non-profit which seems to likely have similar partiality as government-run.

Is the answer for-profit but with better regulations, for instance, reinstatement of the fairness doctrine?

independent media funded by the government, such as BBC. Although they also do some of the trendy idiot bullshit like "we will read the opinions of morons on the air". It also has the danger of removing funding if you shittalk a bunch of crybaby opposition, which is happening in Australia right now with the ABC, or sometimes happens with NPR.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

independent media funded by the government, such as BBC. Although they also do some of the trendy idiot bullshit like "we will read the opinions of morons on the air". It also has the danger of removing funding if you shittalk a bunch of crybaby opposition, which is happening in Australia right now with the ABC, or sometimes happens with NPR.

But this also becomes an issue that voters could potentially care about and influence.

Whereas currently we can't do anything but not watch Fox news and that doesn't appear to be working.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Just in case anyone was still confused on if Glenn Greenwald was a giant piece of shit, his news outlet wrote an entire article to throw someone who left the outlet under the bus

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/30/inside-story-matt-taibbis-departure-first-look-media/

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I don't think content regulation is the answer. Ownership regulation may be but even that has the regulation constantly fighting against market forces.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/rachel-maddow-iud-abortion-vagina-sperm_n_6074554.html

In the this makes me sad as a person category, in 20 fucking 14 Rachel Maddow has to explain how an IUD is not a made up conservative term for birth control.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

It mostly requires 2 things, a publicly funded competitor to the profit-driven media outlets, and that publicly funded outlet needs to be allowed to run without the emphasis on being revenue neutral.

Essentially a mixed market with both public and private companies competing. If private companies are unable to provide the service at the cost and quality the public is demanding, then there is an alternative that the public has a say in.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Kind of like how in every birth control conversation someone has to explain that birth control pills are not "abortion pills."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Kind of like how in every birth control conversation someone has to explain that birth control pills are not "abortion pills."

What I hate about the "debate" is that the term Aboritificants or however they are spelled is complete hocus pocus made up bullshit. No method of BC or even emergency BC applies to the made up word. And yet we have to treat it like a real thing and that there are real drugs that fit that category that women take, and its not and never has been.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.