As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It wouldnt be so bad if it actually meant center. But thats a symptom of the larger problem with trying to be fair... in the way giving Putin just half his demands every time would be fair.

Sounds like appeasement to me!

I tried to make a hitler joke but got confused by my own irony. This is where I'm at, I don't even know how to appropriately make fun of TIME's center rightness and the slow trudge of america towards fascism.

Time to pull a Spider Jerusalem and go live in the woods.

Hitler was Time's Man of the Year once.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    So was Putin. "Person of the Year" is about the most influential, not the best.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look I was Time's person of the year once, and I didn't do shit that year.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

2007 was rough for all of us.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It wouldnt be so bad if it actually meant center. But thats a symptom of the larger problem with trying to be fair... in the way giving Putin just half his demands every time would be fair.

This is true, in america centerists are normally conservatives who don't want to outright claim they back the GOP for one reason or another.

Center default: Both sides are the same, vote republican

Left default: Both sides are the same, fuck voting

Right default: Fuck everything that is left of me.

Veevee on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So was Putin. "Person of the Year" is about the most influential, not the best.

Then they chicken out and didn't make it Osama Bin Laden back in 2001.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

But they still made sure to point out that you are equivalent to Hitler.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

But they still made sure to point out that you are equivalent to Hitler.

Well my father was a baker.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nancy Pelosi totes too old. Spring chicken Mitch McConnell is so dreamy!
    Pelosi was asked during her weekly press conference if she had given any thought to giving up her leadership post following tough losses for Democrats in last week's midterm elections. In response, Pelosi expressed frustration over the number of times she has faced the question, noting that her male counterparts have yet to be asked whether they should also step down.

[...]

Pelosi also noted on Thursday that the media gave more attention to men being elected to leadership positions, even though she became the first woman to serve as speaker of the House after the 2006 elections.

“[W]hen we won the House -- and that was largely an initiative that I started around 2000, to take us to a place where we would win the House -- that was a big thing. I was never on the cover of Time magazine, even though I was the first woman to be [speaker]. Isn't that a curiosity?" Pelosi said.

"Republicans win and Boehner is on the front of Time magazine. Mitch McConnell wins and he is on the front of Time magazine. Is there a pattern here? But as a woman ... Is there a message here? Is there something that we're missing?"

Y chromosomes, apparently.

Preview questions for Hillary Clinton in 2016:

Aren't you too old?
    Are you concerned you're too old?
    Seriously, aren't you too old?
    Did you really have Vince Foster killed?

Yeah.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How old is Hillary? Seriously, I have no idea.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    67 as of a couple weeks ago, would be 69 on election/inauguration day in 2016/7.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That doesn't seem too old at all? I guess it's just one of those bullshit questions.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    She'd be the second oldest (Reagan) ever.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If she's younger than Saint Reagen (he who can do no wrong) I don't see the problem

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Assuming no family history of Alzheimer's (you know, for example), yeah.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    If she's younger than Saint Reagen (he who can do no wrong) I don't see the problem

Where did this veneration of Reagan come from anyway? Republicans hated him when he was in office.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    They have a whole foundation set up to Reaganize the country.

And yeah, that might be older than I want a president to be. If Biden is around the same age, (though I think he's even older?) I'd rather not have him either. Yeah it might be ageism, but I'm around old people all day long. Rather have someone with the fire.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Where did this veneration of Reagan come from anyway? Republicans hated him when he was in office.

If the documentary Outfoxed is to believed (?) it might be from Fox News. Apparently Murdoch really liked him for some reason.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Uh, no. They loved him. The whole veneration thing is just them ignoring the little things they didn't like. Which wasn't much. If anybody tries to tell you some bullshit that he wouldn't fit in with today's hard right wing, they're lying.

But short of some new hagiography, not really the subject for this thread.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

When he got out of the Presidency he was still well regarded. Name another modern Republican President for whom that is true...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah Reagan did enact policies which would not fit with today's harder-right, but that's only because he was enacting hard-right policies of that era and not this one.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Raised taxes. Twice.

Advocated to return capital gains rates back to the normal income tax rates.

Total Republican Paragon.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

When he got out of the Presidency he was still well regarded. Name another modern Republican President for whom that is true...

That's really it. He was the last GOP president to coast to an easy reelection and leave office popular.

• Options
    I should stop making fun of Ron Fournier but he makes it so easy:
    On health care, we needed a market-driven plan that decreases the percentage of uninsured Americans without convoluting the U.S. health care system. Just such a plan sprang out of conservative think tanks and was tested by a GOP governor in Massachusetts, Mitt Romney.

• Options
    So...we didn't get that?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

That's really it. He was the last GOP president to coast to an easy reelection and leave office popular.

There was Eisenhower, but he was dirty commie liberal. What with his support for desegregation and warnings of a military industrial complex.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    She'd be the second oldest (Reagan) ever.

Honestly given how women tend to live longer than men even if she were older than reagan she likely still would have been in better physical shape.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    So...we didn't get that?

See, the one we got wasn't put forth and passed by a GOP executive. All wrong.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

There was Eisenhower, but he was dirty commie liberal. What with his support for desegregation and warnings of a military industrial complex.

He also spent tons of money on infrastructure with the interstate highway project, which today's Republicans would filibuster to hell and back.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

He also spent tons of money on infrastructure with the interstate highway project, which today's Republicans would filibuster to hell and back.

Not so sure on that. It was billed as a necessity for the military.

To replace the crumbling highways we've already got? Hella fillibustered. But if it didn't exist in 2014 and we were building it from scratch because otherwise the commies might win? Probably gonna get through as long as it is One Of Their Guys proposing it.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the Gray Lady celebrates the anniversary of the March Through Atlanta by giving a Lost Causer a soap box.

I rather like this takedown.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    God I love Sherman, he's one of my favorite american generals and a classic person who didn't seek power but had it thrust on him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    God I love Sherman, he's one of my favorite american generals and a classic person who didn't seek power but had it thrust on him.

You read stuff from him it's crazy. I think regardless of time period you could drop him in and he would get shit done.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think Preacher likes that he lit the South on fire

• Options
    Well he was also a compassionate man, but his compassion was tempered by the butchered union soldiers. Grant tasked him with making the war untenable for the south and he obliged them. That's why people in the south hate Sherman, and what the rebuttal gets into, Sherman woke up the wealthy bourgeoisie "Oh shit its not just poor whites and black people now!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm a Southerner, and I personally think what Sherman did was the best course of action for what he was trying to do. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I think the "rebuttal" article is a little vehement and accusatory, when the original article seemed to be more scholarly. And the original article did not say Sherman was a bad, bad man, but seemed to be saying the whole thing was because he wasn't in complete control of his troops, who did the burning.

I've noticed that not only do a lot of Southern idiots do exactly what the rebuttal article claimed the NYT article was doing, but a lot of Northern idiots, seem to just automatically expect Southerners to be that way. And then overboard on "calling them out."

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Sherman didn't know that all he needed to do was dump 3 inches of snow to break atlanta.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm a Southerner, and I personally think what Sherman did was the best course of action for what he was trying to do. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I think the "rebuttal" article is a little vehement and accusatory, when the original article seemed to be more scholarly. And the original article did not say Sherman was a bad, bad man, but seemed to be saying the whole thing was because he wasn't in complete control of his troops, who did the burning.

I've noticed that not only do a lot of Southern idiots do exactly what the rebuttal article claimed the NYT article was doing, but a lot of Northern idiots, seem to just automatically expect Southerners to be that way. And then overboard on "calling them out."

You can thank the Lost Cause movement for why we're...touchy. And if you don't think Sherman ordered the burning, I have a bridge to sell you.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Wait, there's controversy over whether or not Sherman gave the order to burn Atlanta?

• Options
    Clearly it was Lincoln issuing an executive order and acting like a tyrant.

This discussion has been closed.