As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Also this made me laugh:

(Note his user icon, too.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Eugh.

So there's this article that New York Magazine has up online about a pervert who is into bestiality. It's revolting in the extreme, and if God knows why you want to go read it it's called "What it's like to Date a Horse". The fact that it's really, really NSFW goes without saying.

I fully agree with this writeup-
    One extremely tasteless and morally revolting interview in a leading magazine is not the end of the world. But it is a signpost. It’s not going to make everyone run out and get an animal boyfriend or girlfriend. But it does attempt to weaken an important taboo by giving a sympathetic forum to a deranged man whose behavior deserves the strongest condemnation, and who personally needs help.

Germany and Denmark already have dog brothels, where you can pay money and pick out a dog to fuck and I'll be damned before America sinks into the same moral degeneracy.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Germany and Denmark already have dog brothels, where you can pay money and pick out a dog to fuck and I'll be damned before America sinks into the same moral degeneracy.

What. the. Fuck.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I expect that Denmark and Germany probably have 'a' dog brothel each, rather than them being something in anyway commonplace, but for some reason even that didn't phase me - it's like it's the obvious equivalent of the Cat Cafe, but for those people.

Far as moral degeneracy goes, still think I'd pick fucking dogs over shooting up schools and bankrupting cancer victims every time. Even if I had to cancel a delightful afternoon of cake and voles with Miss Pounce.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah we wouldn't want the US to slip into some sort of moral decline from the hill upon which it rests.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Krieghund wrote: »

What. the. Fuck.

Apparently Horse brothels are legal in the states, which they only found out when a guy died, same magazine didn't find any evidence of a public dog brothel in Denmark. Lot of crazy stuff isn't illegal, cannibalism is legal in the UK and most of Europe as generally you'd try the guys under other crimes and no one really wants to be the crazy person campaigning to make laws against these kind of one in a million events. Guess the time they do pop up you'd go for the reverse Jury nullification trick and hope the Judge approves of your legal creep (if that's the term?)

[edit]Oh yeah- careful about clicking on that link, there's nothing graphically terrible behind it but a lot of descriptions that someone innocently reading up on Horse Fucking might not want to have someone to read over their shoulder at work.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Krieghund wrote: »
    What. the. Fuck.

Yep! Denmark and Germany both have a problem with this stuff, also (potentially) Norway and Sweden too. But thankfully there's pushback against this sort of crap. Links NSFW.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Should we move this to the "A God Damned fucking thread about Fucking Animals" thread? Dibs not on having that as part of my internet profile...

• Options
    Sorry, this was just the closest thing there is to a "media" thread on the forums.

In political news, ABC, CBS, and NBC refused to show President Obama's immigration speech. Obama's still got a year left in office. He's not a lame duck yet, but people are treating him like he is which is unproductive.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorry, this was just the closest thing there is to a "media" thread on the forums.

In political news, ABC, CBS, and NBC refused to show President Obama's immigration speech. Obama's still got a year left in office. He's not a lame duck yet, but people are treating him like he is which is unproductive.

What in the?
    The networks did offer live coverage when President George W. Bush spoke in prime-time about immigration reform in May 2006. The Nielsen company said 41.6 million people watched Bush that night, virtually identical to the audience he received for his State of the Union address a few months earlier.

The implications are obvious with this paragraph.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Think the local CBS station did air it, actually.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

1 year? election year doesn't count or what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Oh man this liberal media of ours is just so liberal I just can't even wrap my head around how liberal it is

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure that the Bush (II) administration was much more 'culturally savvy'. Meaning they tended to schedule such announcements for periods when networks weren't going to have to decide to show some popular shows or something.

For example, when he announced that we'd started bombing Afghanistan, he waited until halftime of that Sunday's football games. It does not really change the underlying issue of any potential 'lack of respect', but Thursday night, at the beginning of prime time on the east coast, is about as bad a choice as you can make for any kind of major announcement. Short of declaring war, it's unlikely to be a welcome announcement.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    We can thank Blue Dogs aka Republicans I. Disguise, for the clusterfuck the Democrats have become post Clinton.

I loved how some of those fuckimg coward s
    sturned their backs on Obama. At least the GOP steps in line when its go time for their party.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the Bush (II) administration was much more 'culturally savvy'. Meaning they tended to schedule such announcements for periods when networks weren't going to have to decide to show some popular shows or something.

For example, when he announced that we'd started bombing Afghanistan, he waited until halftime of that Sunday's football games. It does not really change the underlying issue of any potential 'lack of respect', but Thursday night, at the beginning of prime time on the east coast, is about as bad a choice as you can make for any kind of major announcement. Short of declaring war, it's unlikely to be a welcome announcement.

It doesn't fucking matter what you're showing on your fucking station, when the President speaks to the nation, you fucking show it.

Unless they're a Democrat, apparently.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    To be fair what eh was talking about only effects several million people's lives in very direct ways

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look its easier for the media to just tell us what that horrible democratic president said that wasn't something a republican would do if they don't actually show what he said.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I expect that Denmark and Germany probably have 'a' dog brothel each, rather than them being something in anyway commonplace, but for some reason even that didn't phase me - it's like it's the obvious equivalent of the Cat Cafe, but for those people.

Sorry, but you mean "faze", not "phase".

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It doesn't fucking matter what you're showing on your fucking station, when the President speaks to the nation, you fucking show it.

I mean, I would agree. But I also understand why the networks weren't all that interested in co-opting their prime time shows for a speech who's content had already been telegraphed a day beforehand anyway. There's also the fact that the Obama administration hasn't been the friendliest administration to the press, and I have to wonder if part of these decisions were a little bit of "tit for tat." Ultimately though, I think he's an unpopular president right now, and they felt their prime time programming was more important.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Bush wasn't exactly in high praise in 2006 either and yet his speech gets shown. Both sides are bad though.

He's the leader of our fucking country, if he's doing an address to the nation his speech should get shown, we elected the mother fucker if he's talking cut to him talking, this isn't exactly rocket science and his popularity doesn't suddenly make him not in charge.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I mean, I would agree. But I also understand why the networks weren't all that interested in co-opting their prime time shows for a speech who's content had already been telegraphed a day beforehand anyway. There's also the fact that the Obama administration hasn't been the friendliest administration to the press, and I have to wonder if part of these decisions were a little bit of "tit for tat." Ultimately though, I think he's an unpopular president right now, and they felt their prime time programming was more important.

They had one job. I don't care if they don't like the president put him on - this isn't about business, it's about politics.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I don't really give a shit if Obama had a 10% approval rating. The President of the godamn country speaks to the country, you preempt whatever shitty reality show about awful people fucking each other(over) and show him.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I never said I agreed with the decision. But I can at least try to understand the network's motivations behind it yeah?

• Options
    Yeah I can understand how the media groups that have been working to undermine Obama since 2009 continued their efforts last night.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I can understand how the media groups that have been working to undermine Obama since 2009 continued their efforts last night.

You can be so melodramatic preacher. I'm not making a value call on the decision not to show it. Resorting to hyperbole and outrage doesn't solve anything so you all can climb down off your high horses. At least if we try to discuss why the networks may have chose not to run it, we can have a conversation, rather than just trying to one up each other with rants about how the media is trying to destroy Obama.

Shit, I hate having to invoke Sun Tzu, but "know your enemy" and all that.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    And I was critiquing the decision based on how stupid that reasoning is, and how the media has for the entire time Obama has been in office undermined him. Its not Hyperbole to admit the truth, the national masters do not like Obama, they do not like democratic politics, and always want what puts more money in their pockets today, not what can increase profits tomorrow.

You act like "he's unpopular and you know those thursday night shows!" is a valid reason for not showing a speech from the leader of this very country and its a sad commentary on how fucking dumb america has gotten.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    And I was critiquing the decision based on how stupid that reasoning is, and how the media has for the entire time Obama has been in office undermined him. Its not Hyperbole to admit the truth, the national masters do not like Obama, they do not like democratic politics, and always want what puts more money in their pockets today, not what can increase profits tomorrow.

You act like "he's unpopular and you know those thursday night shows!" is a valid reason for not showing a speech from the leader of this very country and its a sad commentary on how fucking dumb america has gotten.

Perhaps then consider, knowing all that you've said about your networks, viewing habits and more, he decided to make his speech at that time.

It's an equally sad commentary IMO.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I don't understand are you trying to say the president didn't want his own speech heard?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I don't understand are you trying to say the president didn't want his own speech heard?

His inevitably rather unpopular speech, a stick the GOP will use to beat him with, that he nevertheless has to make? Why on Earth would I think that?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Unpopular with people who already hate him. Immigration reform always polls well amongst people who aren't pre-determined to hate anything a democratic president does.

I can't imagine the president would want his speech not heard because shockingly the GOP will scream about it like they weren't doing that anyway and uhh Obama can't run for president again, so its not like he cares what they think.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Well here's a question, did telemundo or any other major Spanish speaking network pre empt their programming?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Both Univision and Telemumdo showed it live.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Both Univision and Telemumdo showed it live.

He couldn't have picked 2 better channels to appear on.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Uhm. No, you don't pre-empt for every presidential address. Preemption is a god damned logistical nightmare, especially of top sales tier programs

• Options
    Yes god forbid people don't see the big bang theory when it airs and instead watch the leader of their country announce a major policy iniative with regards to immigration.

BAZINGA!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Far as moral degeneracy goes, still think I'd pick fucking dogs over shooting up schools and bankrupting cancer victims every time. Even if I had to cancel a delightful afternoon of cake and voles with Miss Pounce.

I'd gladly rubberstamp a horse fuckery if it meant social safety nets, equal marriage rights (for humans and any potentially intelligent/sentient future human creations, goddamn conservative slippery slopers) and the federal boot coming in to crush the testicles of the racist states.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I read that in Cleveland's voice.

Anyway, protocol regarding Presidential addresses is like the Flag Code. Dead the second it inconveniences the GOP.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, if you haven't heard, Even The Liberal The New Republic has more or less imploded, thanks to the techie owner trying to pivot to the BuzzFeed model. The editors-in-chief and a large amount of their stable have left the magazine, and have been vocal about exactly why.

Needless to say, this isn't being viewed as a great loss for American political journalism:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    It had a great first 60 years, and could have been changed back into a magazine that's more left-wing than left-of-center. But on its 100th anniversary it was destroyed by an egomaniacal rich kid.

Sigh. Yet another reason to hate the tech-lords.

This discussion has been closed.