As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Would you say it was

super?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Booo!

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Would you say it was

super?

just fucken....

I'm done

I'm fucking done

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Now now. Stay calm and let's take stock of the situation.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    These terrible puns are really broth'ering me

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Miso sorry :(

Don't make me shoyu the door

3basnids3lf9.jpg

SE++: Where the Moon can get in a pun fight with a T-Rex

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    Travel thread, I will be in Virginia between Oct. 9th and Oct. 14. What should I do while I am there? I am also looking for suggestions on where to go between Michigan and Virginia, and am willing to travel outside of Virginia for good stuff that's less than an hour and a half from the border (in all directions).

What part of Virginia?

Mostly in the northern half of the state, but I wouldn't be unable to go pretty much anywhere.

What part of Michigan?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2014
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    What part of Michigan?

SW Michigan, literally as close to the Indiana border as is possible. I'm about two and a half hours south of you (via 69 and 94).

jgeis on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice for Amsterdam.

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    What part of Michigan?

SW Michigan, literally as close to the Indiana border as is possible. I'm about two and a half hours south of you (via 69 and 94).

:'(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Travel thread, I will be in Virginia between Oct. 9th and Oct. 14. What should I do while I am there? I am also looking for suggestions on where to go between Michigan and Virginia, and am willing to travel outside of Virginia for good stuff that's less than an hour and a half from the border (in all directions).

What part of Virginia?

Mostly in the northern half of the state, but I wouldn't be unable to go pretty much anywhere.

Old Town Alexandria is a really nice place to go and walk around and get stuff to eat. Also, go into DC. You can easily spend 5 days walking around DC and going to museums/memorials and still not see them all.

Also, it's a really nice city as long as you're not driving. Take the metro in. And October is a perfect time to see it, lots of pretty fall colors.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Also, Taste of DC festival is October 11 and 12.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I have a 6am international departure Saturday morning.

It has just gone Thursday afternoon.

... I would probably be more excited if I had done any packing at all.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have been told that you all need to know that @Fyndir has arrived safely and is now talking about gel insoles or something I dunno

<3

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    He hasn't expired in a puff of steam yet then. That's good.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    TRAVELFACTS:

1) Some planes actually have legroom.

OIWnR4Bl.jpg

2) Philly was kind of hot getting off the plane and in the airport.

C) I thought Americans liked tips? Did I tip not enough? I had a coffee and pastry at Starbucks in Philly, it was like $7 and I gave her $10 and said to keep it and she seemed confused or something?

D) Vegas was OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS IS THIS A JOKE DID THEY RUN A FEW HUNDRED HEATING FANS IN THIS AIRPORT?! THIS IS A WAR CRIME!

5) Wow I have seen more slot machines inside this Airport than in the rest of my life combined.

6) Why does this airport have a tram? WHY DOES THIS AIRPORT HAVE NEARLY TWO DOZEN BAGGAGE CAROUSELS IN ONE GIANT ROOM, AND WHY DOES THE TRAM NOT PUT YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS ROOM?

G) OH SHIT IT'S ACTUALLY HOTTER OUTSIDE? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

H) elp me

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Almost 50% tip for something you stood in line for sounds heavy to me. 20% is pretty standard, so maybe just $1 next time.

FO3:NV's need for water makes a bit more sense now, does it?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Also, the tip should have gone in the tip jar, not to the person directly.

sig.gif
    Yeah you don't really tip at Starbucks. You only tip waiters and waitresses. Cab drivers. Bellhops. Valets. People that provide you a direct service, not the cashier.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hey, it's 11pm and a taxi is taking me to the airport in 4 hours!

I will fervently distract myself from the knowledge I'm missing PAX with copious tropical beach margaritas.

Also: part of me thinks I need to start checking the lunar cycle before booking vacations in dark sky locations.

On the other hand, Moon/Saturn/Mars conjunction first night of my holiday, so I might see if I can get some bright nightscape photos. Hmmm.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, I'm trying to put together an exchange thing for my uni course. Semester abroad and all that. Probably going to go to the US. I was trying to go to a university in Seattle or Portland because there's a few of my friends and a bunch of stuff that interests me up there, but my uni doesn't have partnerships with them, so it's kinda not really an option.

Anyone from the US want to tempt me to their part of the country?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    TRAVELFACTS:

OIWnR4Bl.jpg

C) I thought Americans liked tips? Did I tip not enough? I had a coffee and pastry at Starbucks in Philly, it was like $7 and I gave her $10 and said to keep it and she seemed confused or something?

D) Vegas was OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS IS THIS A JOKE DID THEY RUN A FEW HUNDRED HEATING FANS IN THIS AIRPORT?! THIS IS A WAR CRIME!

5) Wow I have seen more slot machines inside this Airport than in the rest of my life combined.

6) Why does this airport have a tram? WHY DOES THIS AIRPORT HAVE NEARLY TWO DOZEN BAGGAGE CAROUSELS IN ONE GIANT ROOM, AND WHY DOES THE TRAM NOT PUT YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS ROOM?

H) elp me

Not gonna lie, "Vegas in late August" is not a choice I would have made.

a5ehren wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    TRAVELFACTS:

OIWnR4Bl.jpg

H) elp me

Not gonna lie, "Vegas in late August" is not a choice I would have made.

It's one of the punishments on Bartertown's wheel

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, you guys. Hawai'i.

No, seriously.

It might just be that we've done everything right this single day holiday, but man.

I am just blown away and already talking about coming back.

Waikiki is just gorgeous.

• Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    @Hullis is on his way to see me! Hopefully customs are nicer to him than they were last time...

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    First day in Amsterdam more or less done. Really lucky with the weather, first completely sunny and warm day in weeks. Because it is so nice outside only one museum today and just wandering around the city for the rest of the time. Really gorgeous. Love the architecture.
    should bring some company next time I'm here as I'm useless at going out for drinks and fun on my own.
    Tomorrow then museums and Saturday maybe a short trip to another town.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Amsterdam is the best.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So I'm on holiday in Croatia and the clouds start gathering...

Prob just a regular summer storm right?

Why are all the locals getting their phone cameras out then?

Why are the town bells ringing non stop?

I'm gonna buy some booze and hide

And then we had a months rain in a night!

edited September 2014
    That's a terrible way of expressing quantities of rain!

In my home town a month's rain would still be less than 10mm.

tynic on
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    That's a terrible way of expressing quantities of rain!

In my home town a month's rain would still be less than 10mm.

Well then it was 1.3 Adelaide-years worth of rain to put it in easy terms.

Like I've been to the tropics and Ireland and I've n'er seen the like.

see now that's a number I can get my head around

also woweee!

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Still waiting for it to hit that I'm getting on a plane to London tomorrow.

I guess it'll probably happen when I'm more than halfway to the airport and realize I forgot something.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The downside of tacking Italy onto your England-Germany trip is that you're also tacking on a climate that it is decidedly not like the others.

Turns out I'll be spending a day in NYC while on my Virginia/east coast vacation. It will be my first time in NYC. I already have some locations that I want to visit.

What I want are suggestions for places to eat. We plan to have both lunch and dinner in the city. Price isn't really a concern, what I'm looking for are restaurants that serve food you really can't get anywhere else. Like, I could go to Delmonico's for a steak, but I have had great steak in the Midwest. But, if there was a place serving steak in some way that nobody else did, I would be down for that.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Find. A. Deli. Such good food. Having never been to anywhere in new york to eat, other than Sardi's (which has been closed for a while now I think), this is my best suggestion.

Turns out I'll be spending a day in NYC while on my Virginia/east coast vacation. It will be my first time in NYC. I already have some locations that I want to visit.

What I want are suggestions for places to eat. We plan to have both lunch and dinner in the city. Price isn't really a concern, what I'm looking for are restaurants that serve food you really can't get anywhere else. Like, I could go to Delmonico's for a steak, but I have had great steak in the Midwest. But, if there was a place serving steak in some way that nobody else did, I would be down for that.

Go to Katz's. You go to Katz's.

LxX6eco.jpg