As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    where @jgeis in the city are you planning on being around

i have been in the city for 8 yrs now

i like much food

i have many ideas for food, especially food you cannot get most other places

katz's is never a bad idea tho, that's true

(also if you are cool and you would like to i would eat lunch with you - but i understand if not)

poo
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm‌ we're going to mainly be in mid and lower Manhattan. We're traveling in a car so we could go anywhere.

I would be down for catching lunch with you.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    GO TO RUSS & DAUGHTERS

IT IS IMPERATIVE

Also @lonelyahava‌ Hawaii is one of a handful of places I've gone with a buttload of preconceived expectations that have been MET AND EXCEEDED. It's greaaaat. (Wouldn't want to live there though.)

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    no i definitely wouldn't want to live there.

but I went with the whole "it's a Polynesian culture on an island in the pacific. it can't be THAT much different than home."

But it was and it was delightful and wonderful and I know that I only spent like 24 hours there and all of that on Waikiki beach, but still.

it was an absolute blast.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can you be more specific about what you liked so much?

It's just occurred to me that I have no idea what I expect Hawaii to be like.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Well, in all the movies the weather is perfect all the time, and there's all this pristine, untouched land, and the beaches have perfect waves, and the water is the ideal temperature, and it's covered in goddamn baby whales, and the food is incredible.

...every single one of these things was 100% accurate in regards to the two weeks I spent on Maui.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I hear there's lots of lizards in Hawaii, is that true?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ALSO LIZARDS

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ALSO SNAILS

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    and waterfalls and volcanoes and scuba and snorkeling and surprisingly good beer and and and

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Yeah, Maui is a fantastic place to go. Like, if it's a choice between it and Oahu, pick Maui.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    yeah hawaii is amazing

my 2 sads about hawaii is that due to timing i didn't get to do a night dive with manta rays and i didn't try surfing

too bad it is so far from the east coast

poo
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm‌ we're going to mainly be in mid and lower Manhattan. We're traveling in a car so we could go anywhere.

I would be down for catching lunch with you.

well, yeah, send a PM if you'd like, perhaps we could

like LS said Russ & Daughters is amazing, they actually recently opened a sit down cafe though, which is pretty baller
    it is a choice place to go if you want prime new york jewish things like smoked fish and caviar on bagels and shit oh gosh yes
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/dining/restaurant-review-russ-daughters-cafe.html?_r=0

this would of course be a very solid lunch choice

honestly there are infinite types of places so i suppose it depends on your wants and desires

do you want unique real good asian food you can't get in most parts of the country? other ethnic cuisines?

do you want high end awesome shit? unique things? new american things? that 36 dollar chicken pot pie i posted before with foie gras and truffles?
    burgers?
    delicious hipster things in brooklyn?

i figure you only have what, 2-3 meals? maybe? so i guess it depends

a car means you could even pop over to queens and get some amazing int'l food
    mmmm

so many things floating through my head right now

poo
  • Options
    this is timely, as i plan my NOLA trip http://www.theinfatuation.com/features/what-to-eat-in-new-orleans

i only have lodging for half my trip tho hrm

poo
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    also, the train trip across the US was stellar.

Everybody should try at least a little train travel.

but pretty much what Sandra said.

The weather was lovely, the water fantastic, and the food amazing. and the people were kind and polite.

Our hotel gave us 2 free drinks, either a punch with vodka, or a fruit drink, as we got there. As well as basically a half hour session with a professional photographer. After which you could do any of the photo packages if you wanted, or just go with the free one that they set up (we got the whole shebang because, well, the photos were really kinda amazing). They also have a beach area where as a guest they will provide the shade, the beach chairs, and waiters will bring water and drinks and whole fruit to you while you are on the beach.

It was just all in all a great experience. And we were only there for about 20 hours. I would love to go back and spend more time. Not just in Oahu, but Kaui, Kaua'i and the Big Island as well.

But in the meantime, I'm going to day dream over trains across Europe and/or the train in Japan.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This post doesn't seem 100% appropriate anywhere, but, tonight @ceres and her husband sat me down and made me watch Clue and then The Princess Bride, and I think I finally get something someone said to me that one time.
    Fyndir- Having you as a friend this year has been amazing. You have meant a lot to me and in some ways it’s really difficult to say why. You have been polite, supportive, and always there in your seemingly peaceful giant sort of way. Don’t’ take this wrong, but you sometimes make me think of Andre the Giant’s character in Princess Bride. Not because of size physically, but size personality wise. I am so very lucky to have known you.

I guess I hope that held up after seeing me at PAX.

Edit: also, since I got to America I have tried
      Sparkling Wine of some sort. Pumpkin Cider. Apple Cider. Pineapple Cider. Some kind of lager? Sapporo. Lagavulin? I think? Kraken Rum.

The sparkling wine seemed really bitter to me, ciders are nice, lager was nice although I only had a sip from someone else, Sapporo was ok but I didn't really want to finish a whole bottle, the Lagavulin? was way too much quantity wise but not really unpleasant in small amounts, the rum was way too strong alone but once the ice melted a little it was ok, and once I gave up and tossed some Coke Zero in there it was pleasant.

Before this trip the sum total of my alcohols had been half a glass of champagne at a wedding, and possibly some vaguely sort of pretend alcoholic orange fizzy stuff when I was young and it was Christmas? I'm not sure.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Yay booze

poo
  • Options
    So, I did a thing.

I wrote a journal while on the train, and took lots of photos.

And now I've uploaded them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60u0sZBeccGMmlBS3J1RXBoMVk/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60u0sZBeccGTG5fWDdKbF9sV00/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60u0sZBeccGWS1RRko3NFQtR1k/edit?usp=sharing

There are 2 powerpoint files and a word doc.

Now the word doc was originally just for my mom, so it's a bit disjointed and at times incredibly self-righteous. and by the end, it was all very much written by somebody who was incredibly tired.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    This post doesn't seem 100% appropriate anywhere, but, tonight @ceres and her husband sat me down and made me watch Clue and then The Princess Bride, and I think I finally get something someone said to me that one time.
    Fyndir- Having you as a friend this year has been amazing. You have meant a lot to me and in some ways it’s really difficult to say why. You have been polite, supportive, and always there in your seemingly peaceful giant sort of way. Don’t’ take this wrong, but you sometimes make me think of Andre the Giant’s character in Princess Bride. Not because of size physically, but size personality wise. I am so very lucky to have known you.

I guess I hope that held up after seeing me at PAX.

Edit: also, since I got to America I have tried
      Sparkling Wine of some sort. Pumpkin Cider. Apple Cider. Pineapple Cider. Some kind of lager? Sapporo. Lagavulin? I think? Kraken Rum.

The sparkling wine seemed really bitter to me, ciders are nice, lager was nice although I only had a sip from someone else, Sapporo was ok but I didn't really want to finish a whole bottle, the Lagavulin? was way too much quantity wise but not really unpleasant in small amounts, the rum was way too strong alone but once the ice melted a little it was ok, and once I gave up and tossed some Coke Zero in there it was pleasant.

Before this trip the sum total of my alcohols had been half a glass of champagne at a wedding, and possibly some vaguely sort of pretend alcoholic orange fizzy stuff when I was young and it was Christmas? I'm not sure.

Get yourself some Ice Wine

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Good lord I am tired. But I'm in London!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

What's Ice Wine, precious?

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Londons pretty cool so far

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

Is this the trip where you're bothering animals?

• Options
    Yup!!!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »

Is this the trip where you're bothering animals?

Hey let's be a little more civil toward Londoners

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Wine made out of frozen grapes which makes it more concentrated and sweet.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hawai'i is really great. I really need to host my pictures from when I went to Maui a couple years ago. And my stay on Big Island back before PAX '08.

... and probably Japan in '09. And Southern Africa in 2010. And Guatemala 04/05. Maybe some of the NZ stuff, like Cape Palliser or the West Coast/Otago trips.

Look, I'm just really bad at post-processing my holiday pics, okay?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    yeah fishman

i have not posted any of my japan pics
    or thailand pics
    or hawaii pics from back then either

oops

poo
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So apparently Australians have replaced both English yobs and Germans in large cars as the worst pest in Croatian touristy areas according to both personal observation and the locals chat. Wonder why that happened?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yes.

Otherwise known as liquified orgasms

It can be pretty expensive, like 50$ for 350ml

But it's worth it.

• Options
    1 year ago today i was in portland, hiking up a waterfall and then eating fancy ice cream at salt and straw

2 years ago today i was in belize, and we ate ice cream at a mennonite run ice cream stand, made from the milk of the cows in the field behind the stand

today i sit in my office and am not eating ice cream

gruh

poo
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Dis' wrote: »
    So apparently Australians have replaced both English yobs and Germans in large cars as the worst pest in Croatian touristy areas according to both personal observation and the locals chat. Wonder why that happened?

We didn't get hit much in the global recession, so the Aussie tourist numbers have either stayed the same or gone up, but there's less of the others around to take the heat.

tynic on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Also there is sort of an Aussie cultural tradition of taking some time off to go travel, right?

In other news, I feel like I deserve a medal or something for successfully navigating the British rail system, but then again:
    1. I didn't go that far (just up to Bletchley)
    2. Everything is in, you know, English

Speaking of Bletchley, I did the museum and the neighboring gallery that houses the rebuilt Colossus. I got up there at 11:30 or so and barely had time to do everything. Wish these types of places would stay open later than 5:00, but then again I probably should have left earlier. Overall, it was very neat. As a computer guy, I've always felt like I owed a lot to the people who worked on that stuff.

• Options
    everything in britain shuts too early. That's lesson one.

Bletchley is fun, but from a professional, science-education perspective, could definitely be better. The history exhibits are stellar, but the kiddie interactive zone is shite, and the gift-store is pitiful.

• Options

Yes.

Otherwise known as liquified orgasms

You had my curiosity...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    While in Amsterdam I also visited the EYE which happened to have a Cronenberg exhibition. It was only slightly weird wandering around between mogwogs, sexblobs and the teleporter from the fly while screams and moans rang through the hall from several monitors displaying movie clips.

• Options
    While in Amsterdam I also visited the EYE which happened to have a Cronenberg exhibition. It was only slightly weird wandering around between mogwogs, sexblobs and the teleporter from the fly while screams and moans rang through the hall from several monitors displaying movie clips.

The EYE is an awesome building! Also theres some great cafes and stuff up around there.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Also there is sort of an Aussie cultural tradition of taking some time off to go travel, right?

In other news, I feel like I deserve a medal or something for successfully navigating the British rail system, but then again:
    1. I didn't go that far (just up to Bletchley)
    2. Everything is in, you know, English

Speaking of Bletchley, I did the museum and the neighboring gallery that houses the rebuilt Colossus. I got up there at 11:30 or so and barely had time to do everything. Wish these types of places would stay open later than 5:00, but then again I probably should have left earlier. Overall, it was very neat. As a computer guy, I've always felt like I owed a lot to the people who worked on that stuff.

Yup, backpacking holidays are popular, particularly just after high school graduation.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    everything in britain shuts too early. That's lesson one.

Bletchley is fun, but from a professional, science-education perspective, could definitely be better. The history exhibits are stellar, but the kiddie interactive zone is shite, and the gift-store is pitiful.

I hadn't been aware of that on a trip I took a few years ago. I was staying at a hotel in York, and I went up to Edinburgh for the day. At about 7 PM I wandered back to the train station and didn't see any trains on the board going to York. I ambled up to the information desk, and asked when the next train going to York was, and they said 6:30 AM.

And I was like "er, what?"

Since I couldn't find a reasonably priced hotel in Edinburgh with that little notice and within walking distance, I took the train to Glasgow and used a Holiday Inn there. It was a different experience.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.