As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Things to look for in a bag, from a bag handler's perspective:

Handle on the bottom
    Loose top handle (not one of those tension ones that stays flush against the bag)
    Four rotating wheels (can be easier to break, though)

If you're worried about people getting into it, don't get a bag with zippers. Even with locks on them, you can open zippers with a pen and rezip so it looks like nothing is amiss.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just figure my bag's going to get opened by customs at least some of the time, and they'll break locks or wev they have to do to get in, so I try to keep everything valuable in my carry-on. I don't mind people seeing my underwear.

I once left 20 euro in an empty camera case and it got nicked by Budapest luggage handlers. Which was aggravating, but they probably needed it more than me.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am 3kg under the max weight in my suitcase, I hope this is okay and it weighs the same at the airport as here. Having to take a sleeping bag, airbed, pump and sheet has been about half of that weight.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    That should be plenty leeway unless your home scale is way off.

As for my checked bags getting searched, the only airport that I think has ever searched my bag is my relatively small hometown airport (HSV). My guess the TSA there doesn't see a lot bags and just does it for something to do.

• Options
    Thank you Sim - I was hoping someone would say that!!

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    That should be plenty leeway unless your home scale is way off.

As for my checked bags getting searched, the only airport that I think has ever searched my bag is my relatively small hometown airport (HSV). My guess the TSA there doesn't see a lot bags and just does it for something to do.

Pretty much. Travelling out of smaller airports can be aggravating for frequent travellers because the TSA is more likely to follow the letter of the law, since they don't have the pressure of "get these thousands of people through the checkpoint asap".

Can't tell you how many times I've overheard "But in DC..."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sometimes i see stuff has been shifted around when I open a case. But I travel a lot internationally so odds are gonna run into searches at some point.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Sometimes i see stuff has been shifted around when I open a case. But I travel a lot internationally so odds are gonna run into searches at some point.

In the US, TSA will put an official slip in your bag notifying you that they opened your bag

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    Thank you Sim - I was hoping someone would say that!!

I'm not going to lie, though, I did the conversion to pounds first just to make sure, but considering what usually happens when I pack to fly internationally I'd be thrilled if I were five pounds under, much less six.

• Options
    @Liiya when you put it on the scale, are you putting it vertically or horizontally? Just wanna make sure that part of the bag isn't resting on the ground when you're weighing it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    You'll be fine, liiya. Can you lift it? I know my 'moderately comfy' carrying power tops out around 20kg so if I can lift my bag then it's fine.

• Options
    Horizontally, but its not touching the floor thankfully!

I can lift it, its not easy but it can be done - I am not very strong. We were told "keep things compact!" but its not easy with all the extra crap we need to bring.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

In the US, TSA will put an official slip in your bag notifying you that they opened your bag

For international flights, if customs decides to inspect your bag (since it is screened again), I don't think they do? Then again, I'm not sure on the exact procedures there, since half the point is that you have take your luggage with you through immigration/customs.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I can lift it, its not easy but it can be done - I am not very strong. We were told "keep things compact!" but its not easy with all the extra crap we need to bring.

If you are using bathroom scales they are generally the most accurate in the middle half of their range. You will likely get the most accurate weight of your bag by standing on the scales whilst holding your bag, and then standing on the scales without the bag, and subtracting the smaller number from the larger.

• Options

If you are using bathroom scales they are generally the most accurate in the middle half of their range. You will likely get the most accurate weight of your bag by standing on the scales whilst holding your bag, and then standing on the scales without the bag, and subtracting the smaller number from the larger.

Good tip!

• Options
    Flight out of London badly delayed. Might not make flight to US, and if I do I doubt my luggage will come with.

But I have travel insurance so am completely blasé.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am 3kg under the max weight in my suitcase, I hope this is okay and it weighs the same at the airport as here. Having to take a sleeping bag, airbed, pump and sheet has been about half of that weight.

Where are you travelling to liiya? If it's not to a particularly cold place you can usually get a sleeping bag that is about one kilogram good to about zero degrees and I just bought a sleeping mat that is just over half a kilo and inflates to three inches thick without the use of a pump.

I ended up having to buy it as I'm going about 200 kilometres north tomorrow for camping and wanted something a bit substantial than what is in my one person tent and the only thing we had is a queen size inflatable mattress that we inflate with an electric pump.

I also really want a Jetboil stove.

Why yes, I have turned this into a camping thread.

• Options
    To Amsterdam to talk about plants :wink::wink:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Moon is right! I've borrowed the sleeping bag to avoid having to buy a new one and save money unfortunately, the airbed is actually pretty light considering (though not as light as yours Blake, they sound very light!) so it could be worse.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    An alternative for the pump is an electric one, they're smaller (and I think a bit lighter but I'm unsure) and can operate in reverse as well so you really flatten out the mattress when packing.

We have one that powers off a car lighter plug, so we inflate our queen bed on the car roof and carry it into the tent but I want upgrade to a cordless pump that charges off usb so we can just do everything in the tent.

:wink:

They're cheap too, I paid like twenty bucks for mine.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Where are you travelling to liiya? If it's not to a particularly cold place you can usually get a sleeping bag that is about one kilogram good to about zero degrees and I just bought a sleeping mat that is just over half a kilo and inflates to three inches thick without the use of a pump.

I ended up having to buy it as I'm going about 200 kilometres north tomorrow for camping and wanted something a bit substantial than what is in my one person tent and the only thing we had is a queen size inflatable mattress that we inflate with an electric pump.

I also really want a Jetboil stove.

Why yes, I have turned this into a camping thread.

Amy and I got sleeping bags and camping mattresses for when we did the Avon Descent a couple of years ago, and the difference between them and the sleeping bags and camping mattresses we used to use back when we were kids was phenomenal. Thankfully there was a big sale on at Kathmandu so we ended up getting both bags and mattresses for about $600 in total, instead of that being the "normal" price for just my sleeping bag...

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I know this guy's never tried this because you still can't SEE THE NUMBERS.
    (just kidding, I just really like Brian Reagan)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89frRi8GgGA

• Options
    Im not a huge fan of Kathmandu all their stuff is their own brand and their quality (and their cost) just isn't the same as brands that compete in other stores.

• Options
    I uh think you're underestimating how careful I have to be with money!

Plus after borrowing this I'll probably never need to use one again.

• Options
    Fair enough, sorry!

• Options
    Im not a huge fan of Kathmandu all their stuff is their own brand and their quality (and their cost) just isn't the same as brands that compete in other stores.

Well yeah, that's why I was thankful there was a big sale. Paddy Pallin and Mainpeak would have cost us over $1300 to get all our stuff. We've used them three times in three years and they're still like brand new, so we're happy with their construction. If we were going mountaineering in the Himalayas every month we'd probably get better stuff...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Well, now you've just doomed yourself to repeated, incredibly unlikely scenarios where you'll totally need access to a fancy air mattress pump on short notice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Well, now you've just doomed yourself to repeated, incredibly unlikely scenarios where you'll totally need access to a fancy air mattress pump on short notice.

oh god you're right!

• Options

Well yeah, that's why I was thankful there was a big sale. Paddy Pallin and Mainpeak would have cost us over $1300 to get all our stuff. We've used them three times in three years and they're still like brand new, so we're happy with their construction. If we were going mountaineering in the Himalayas every month we'd probably get better stuff...

Nah, you can buy minus five rated stuff and get a mat and a sleeping bag for three hundred a person easily.

• Options

Nah, you can buy minus five rated stuff and get a mat and a sleeping bag for three hundred a person easily.

Or, and hear me out here, we spent a couple of days going around all the stores and checking prices, and we got what we got because it was far and away the best value.

• Options
    Hi @cello I'm in Quebec! For ...maybe the next 25 minutes or so

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    !!!

• Options
    Well I say in, it's more like "a long way above". Also I forget where all the cabadanadaians are, you in Montreal psykoma?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    yah I am, Cello is in ottawa, maybe an hour and a half (driving, flying would be like 15-20 mins) west of here

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Oh ok I had you guys locations mixed up!! Sorry. Well I'll wave to you instead, I'm definitely not over Ottawa

• Options
    Also make sure to wave to Tube and there's another forumer here whose name I can't recall off the top of my head but whose avatar I would recognize!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SimBen is in Montreal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Thats the guy!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'll wave at the sky anyway! Though you may have to look *very* far into the distance to see it happen.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I am waiting for my taxi to the airport, let's hope I haven't forgotten anything!!!