Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in The Writer's Block
Hey Everyone!

Let's keep the awesome writing momentum from November and (pre-holiday) December with some writing goals and online-writing meet-ups in 2014!

Don't feel like you need to post your weekly/monthly/year goals (though that would be awesome). Share what you feel like is prudent and relevant for you. Please, however, post potential IRC write-in and sprint times so that folks can participate! I know that I've had a lot of fun running/participating in sprints in IRC!

I'm so proud to be part of this community. You are all talented and amazing. Let's make 2014 the year of TWB dominance!

KCWise on

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I will be running IRC sprints starting at 2:30pm EST time today. I'll be merciful today: 10 minute sprints, 10 minute breaks.

Join me!

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I will BE THERE.

Also I posted my goals elsewhere but basically I want to write a story a month, finish my novel, and revise one of my novels to the point that I can let people read it.

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I will be in IRC today as well. Yay for sprints!

My goals are getting second draft done of two novels and sell a short story.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Quoth wrote: »
    I will BE THERE.

Also I posted my goals elsewhere but basically I want to write a story a month, finish my novel, and revise one of my novels to the point that I can let people read it.

This is pretty much what I'd like to do, except I just have the one novel completed.

EDIT: Though I'm at work, so I can't participate today. If you run them regularly, though, I'll join when I can! I've been doing a couple k words a day on stuff the last little bit, so been much better with my writing, and my novel's second draft is still inching forward.

Nova_C on
    Tube wrote: »
    No, I hate D&D more than the other subforums because it's more of a pain in my arse.
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    I need to finish my Historical fiction book, finish my second Orc Saga novel, and write a Fate of the Gods novella. Not necessarily in that order.

I will not really be able to dig into this until mid January, sadly. I will try also to be more in the IRC and sprint with ya'll after that point though!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    so, of course, the universe is like "you wanna be in front of your 'puter at 2:30? let's stick an emergency in your day right about nooow..."

so, my new target is 3:30 for today. i'll also be back on at 8:30 tonight.

my boys take regular naps from 1:45 till 4pm. I'm always in IRC running sprints in this window. I'll announce regularly, but come on down anyway!

We're going to sprint in a minute if anyone wants to hang anyway. KC can take over when the crisis abates.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Aw yeah. Glad to see this thread going!

I'm still away on vacation, but looking forward to getting back to Writing Work with the IRC when I get home this week.

Keep it up, guys!

My goals are to finish editing this novella, write a new book, and edit the old Sherlockesque fantasy book. Beyond that, who knows.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Amalia
    I have so many goals. I won't put them all here, as they'll change as the year goes on. Goal number one, though, should be to not fall asleep in front of the IRC late at night. I woke up this morning with a sore back, a shut down computer and a note saying "you fell asleep." Hot mess in 2013...

Goals:

1) Submit at least 5 short stories to various markets/contests this year. (I expect to get a rejection for each of them)

2) Edit my 2012 Novel starting in February, polishing it enough to self publish it on my 30th Birthday (September 27th)

3) Research and outline 2 more novel-length projects. (Bonus if one of them gets written during NaNo so we can start the cycle all over again in 2015)

4) Develop a writer's website to promote my own work. (Bonus if I can host it on my own server instead of on WP.com)

5) Continue to party in the IRC and be a better member of TWB (including putting myself out there and giving more crits.)

That's a crazy dumb list. Go big or go home in 2014!!

PS: Anyone around for afternoon write-in/sprints today or all ya'll gonna be drunk for New Years?

Amalia
    I may be around, depending on work. Not sure whether I'm going to leave early. We'll see what my bosses do.

KCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I am off at 3. Not sure when we're heading out to the bar, but drunk chapter revision or drunk short story writing can be amusing. I will probably be around, though.

KCWise
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Goals:
    Finish current novel. Revise, submit to local writing awards. Fail like last year.
    Plan next novel. Overstretch and become too ambitious. Attempt to write within year, probably fail.
    Likely get rejected by currently publishing submissions.
    Collapse.

KCWise
    edited December 2013
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Goals:
    Finish current novel. Revise, submit to local writing awards. Fail like last year.
    Plan next novel. Overstretch and become too ambitious. Attempt to write within year, probably fail.
    Likely get rejected by currently publishing submissions.
    Collapse.

I.... I'm gonna revise that:

Finish current novel (and feel awesome). Revise (feel even more awesome). Submit to local writing awards (and feel great because that's a brave thing to do). Be happy with the result no matter what happens.

Plan next novel. Be ambitious and do a lot. Attempt to write within a year and meet my goal (because i'm awesome)

Be prepared to have some submissions rejected but be hopeful that others will be accepted.

Toast to my awesomeness. Because I'm a writer and I'm awesome.

KCWise on
    Amalia
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Haha, thanks! It's at least partly tongue-in-cheek, I promise.

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Well. I've already met one of my writing goals for 2014! Maybe I just wasn't aiming high enough.

1. Submit a short story. Yay I did it! This is only noteworthy cause I haven't done any submitting in too long.

2. Submit 12 short stories over the course of 2014. I am at 1 of 12, and am working on submission 2. Pretty soon I'm going to cut my teeth on Clarkesworld rejections!

3. Self-publish the sequel to my first novel. I need to add a couple of scenes, then do a full, final revision and call it a day. Tentative for April when I think I'll be ready to hire out the cover art and begin the grueling self-pub process.

4. Write the Silmarillion of a brand new tabletop gaming universe, aka the Bible of the universe. This is an overarching goal for the entire year, and it is going to require a lot of working together with another person. I haven't done much collaboration lately, either, so it's gonna be tough. I think it might actually be worse for the other guy, though, because it's his sandbox I'm going to be playing in.

5. Start writing blog posts again.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    KCWise
    Sprints in two minutes, get your ass to Mars the IRC.

Sprints today in the IRC start at 2EST. 10 minute sprints, 10 minute breaks. Come meet your goals, ya'll!

At some point I should engage in sprints with you crazy peeps. You do them at such odd times, though!

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Stay-at-home-mom time... my boys sleep during this time! And a lot of folks are on while at work. If you pop by in early evening (around 8) I'll sprint with you. the room isn't always lively during that time, but that is when my kids go to bed...

I keep logging in right after KC leaves, around 10:30.

That's cuz your babbit is on a different schedule from mine! Also, my brain is mush by 10. My best writing time is actually 5-7am.

KCWise wrote: »
    My best writing time is actually 5-7am.

That's when I get my best sleep.

Quoth
    I will probably not make it to the usual afternoon IRC crazy today--I have to go to the house and have yet another come-to-Jesus meeting with my contractor.

But I plan on writing this evening. I'll be on around 8:30. Would anyone want to join me for sprints this evening? I've got to finish this 1st draft for Lightspeed or else it's probably not going to happen. I'll start sprints at 9 and run them until 10:30 (Eastern Standard Time).

edited January 2014
    I'm sprinting today at 1pm EST if anyone wants to join me.

Quoth on
    KCWise
    i will do my best to be there--might be a little late!

My first actual writing sprint with you folks. AND WHERE IS KC?

Auuugh! I suck!!! Sorry!! We moved into the house yesterday and I've been spending time unpacking! My house is still a construction zone, so it is EXTRA difficult!!
    (I know, I'm so full of lame ass excuses)

RICK! When will you be on again??

Quoth! I'll be on tomorrow! Hope sprints went well!!

bigrickcook
    Likeliest time that I can swing around for more "uninterrupted" sprint time is around 9 or 9:30 EST tomorrow. You all seem to run sprints too early during the week, or too late, so I guess we'll see?!

I can usually be on around 10pm EST so I'll see you then if you like. KC is usually around earlier, like 8:30ish. And a bunch of us hang in the IRC all day off and on.

Oh my God it's Wednesday. Oh my God, it's the 15th! I have less than a month to get this Lightspeed story done!!! We've got a really big problem!!!! (Dun dun dun DUUUNNNN)

Sprints today!: 2:30-4pm EST
    8:00pm-10pm EST

Be there!!!!!

I'll try to pop in for the later sprints.

I'll be sprinting around 6pm EST if anyone wants to join me as well.

KCWise
    Did you take yesterday off? Are you about to be snowed in (again!)?
    Are you running up on some submission deadlines (like Lightspeed, maybe?)??

Come on down to Krazy KC's Sprint Shack! Open 2:30pm-4pm EST today!!

Gonna miss out on sprints today completely, I think. =(

Write many words, sprinters!

I shall be around for sprints around 8 p.m. EST this evening, if anyone's interested in joining.

Is it almost the end of January!?!?! What are you DOING with your writing life?? Don't let the time slip away without SPRRRINNNTTTTSSS!!!!

3pm EST. One hour. Intense sprints. 10 minute sprints, 5 minute breaks. It's like Shaun T's Insanity but without the burn.

Well...the mental burn... and the arthritic joint burn of your fingers....

BE THERE!!!!!

Little update for the end of January:

I've submitted two short stories since the beginning of the year (one rejected so far!), so I'm actually a month ahead on my second goal, one sub a month. I think I'll try to continue this trend and have another out for submission by the end of the first week of February.

I've begun the groundwork for the world in our tabletop gaming universe, and we've added a third musketeer to our company, as well as filing our incorporation with the state. So we're official now. That's terrifying. As this is a year-long goal, I've begun to compartmentalize my days after my real job for working on personal projects and company projects so that I'm always working on both a little bit each week.

I'm doing a new draft for my next novel, figuring out what's missing and what needs to be cut so that I can begin the process of getting it ready - formatting-wise - for self-pub, and getting that all-important cover art.

I've at least begun posting to my blog again, if not writing articles, at least short stories / flash fiction.

Not bad so far! Gotta keep the momentum through February.

tapeslinger
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Oohh. updates. For accountability?

I'm 70.1K into my historical fiction novel -- had to break to do edits on my Fantasy manuscript which is publishing April 1, so I'm doing that and formatting for print now.
    Please let this book do well. Please let this book do well. Please let this book do well.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    I'm pausing on my Lightspeed story today so as to write a Flash Fic for Chuck's Challenge (I'm going with The Prince and the Pauper.) 1000 words today. Let's do this!

Sprints will be today, starting at 3pm EST! May also be up for some late-night sprints tonight starting at 10pmEST!

And there will be an early-bird special tomorrow morning via twitter! 6amEST! If you are interested, I'm @KayCWise.

tapeslinger
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Okay, my novel is temporarily shelved for a couple of days.

I'm entering into a short story writing contest and its due on the 31st (I believe midnight of the 1st is the official cut off, I've asked for full clarification). Alternate history is the name of the game, so I've spent a good chunk of time focused on research and an outline. I've got the outline, and research at this point comes down to stuff I realize I need to know as I get to it. 5000 words required, plus or minus 10%.

Right now, I'm sitting at ~1400 words, all but a couple hundred of which I've written in the last two hours. So basically, I have a little under two days to write another 3600... so not a huge task, but the deadline is still looming, and I still want to go back through and do as much editing/fact checking as I can.

It's done as a diary from a Ukrainian immigrant to Russian Alaska in the 1700s, in a world where the Alaskan gold rush starts a good century earlier than real life and results in a population explosion in Russian Alaska, ultimately leading to Alyeska's war for independence in the 1820s. It hasn't been easy to figure out how to realistically get Alaska large enough for an independence movement to be believable (along with insuring they actually can stand a chance of winning!), but I think I've done a pretty good job at that. Unfortunately that's because there's also timeline restrictions on the contest, and this is the idea I really, really wanted to run with.

So I couldn't do a straight up "Russian Alaska succeeds and goes on towards independence" story, it had to start off with Russian Alaska having massive success very early in its lifetime.