Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    So my goal after NaNo was to write 250 words per day.

December results
    Words for the month: 12,674
    Averaged: 384
    Days written: 23

January results
    Words for the month: 8,355
    Averaged: 269
    Days written: 19

So... nearly 50% fewer words, and I'm not meeting my goal (250 wpd), but I'm still averaging that. Weekends are a weak spot for me.

Also... I joined a local writer's group last Monday. Part of joining was submitting a bit of your writing for the group to critique. I printed off the first ten pages... then realized that I had done zero proofreading. I just write, I don't even spell check. So then I spent two days worrying about strangers judging me because of obvious typos. >.< If the worst feedback I get is "well, you have a lot of typos", that would actually be fine (and not a useful writer's group).

Anyway. My goal is to write every goddamn day in February, and to average 500 wpd. We'll see how I do.

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

there will be sprints today!!! 2:30est! BE THERE!!!

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Gonna toss in a little progress report real quick:

Planning to submit two short stories this evening, one new one and the one I got back from F&SF.

Since I'm going slightly legitimate with my novels (gonna publish them under the company I helped form earlier this year), I'm going to do a new revision of the ones I've already self-pubbed (content won't change so much as the delivery of the content), and finalize the new novel. After that I have the first part of a new trilogy that's mostly written that I'd like to finish and have that ready for later in the year, but that might be over-reaching a bit with everything else, since that will make two on-going series plus short stories plus creating a world for a game system and a powerful need to sleep and pay my bills.

I've spent a not-insignificant amount of time helping a friend start a cult film review blog and editing her work, which has cut into my time working on my own projects, but even with that I've made some pretty good progress on the world-building aspects of the game system my company has just begun developing, and I'm now situated to actually start writing some Silmarillion-style world origins (though certainly not as grandiose, well-written, or inaccessible as the actual Silmarillion is). It's progressing, but slowly.

This could be a super-productive year if I just let it, and manage not to burn myself out completely.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    KCWise
    SNOWY SPRINTS! TODAY AND TONIGHT!! 2:30pm EST and 9:00pm EST!!!

Come work on your Flash Fic for Chuck (OH MY GOD THAT FLASK IS SO COOL!)
    Come work on your short story for Lightspeed (OH MY GOD, I'M NEVER GOING TO MAKE IT!)
    Come work on your novel from NaNo (OH MY GOD, I THINK I NEED TO START OVER!)

Let's do it! Bring your hot chocolate, your fingers, and some sort of writing medium. See you soon!

tapeslinger
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I'll be sure to poke my head in KCWise. I ain't know nuffin bout the art of sprinting, but I am sure you will be able to fill me in.

The learning process is relatively painless. We shall "educate" you.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Thanks for a great afternoon of sprints, Ya'll!!

If you wanna be part of the night team, I'm running sprints for 1 hour tonight starting at 9pm EST!
    10 Minute sprints, 5 minute breaks! THIS AIN'T NO GAME, SON!!

SO GET YO GAME FACE ON!

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I will be on for sprints tonight got to get that flash fic done so I can get a chance to win a flask and become a drunk on the go.

bigrickcook
    What Magell said, literally word for word.

THE FLASK IS MINE, Gentlemen! But, you know, nice try or whatever...

Lightspeed deadline for the Women Destroy Sci-fi issue is THIS FRIDAY, YA'll!!!!

You know what that means?

THERE WILL BE SPRINTS!!! ALL DAY ERRYDAY!!!

Well... not all day... I mean... I gotta watch the 'lympics and stuff...

Anyway, SPRINTS! TODAY!

2:30pm until at least 4pm. (Eastern Standard Time)
    9pm until 10pm (Eastern Standard Time)

Of you aren't working on Lightspeed, bring your stuff for Chuck or for other deadlines. By the by, are there any other submission deadlines coming up? Please share if you know stuff!!

No excuses, only writing and Zuul!! Let's make it a productive week!

tapeslingerQuoth
    I'll try to be around for the 9pm ones!

KCWise
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    All right. I've got 30K to write and 20 days to write it. Gotta crack that whip and finish this historical manuscript.
    halp.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    KCWise
    We got your back, girl! When are you gonna join us in IRC for sprriiinnntttsss?

I'm back on the horse on Monday with some planning and outlining. You know we're on in the afternoon, but I'm happy to support in the evening if it is better for you!

either way, we're here for you! You can doooo it!!

tapeslinger
    Probably Tuesday, after 3pm Eastern. I've got to get through El Husband's weekend first, before I can really dig in -- I never get any work done when he's home.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Are you a person who didn't write this weekend?
    Maybe you should be editing, but you chose to booze it up and watch House of Cards because you were snowed in?
    Maybe you squandered your writing time for a little blogging time instead?
    Maybe you claimed that you'd join people for sprints in the 9 o'clock hour last week, but you didn't show up? (Yeah. That's right. I see you, @bigrickcook)

Don't be an asshat. Write this afternoon.

Not sprints. "Bursts." Bursts of 10 minute time periods dedicated to writing or changing words. Or outlining. Or world building. Whatever you need. 10 minute bursts of creativity.

2pm to 4pm Eastern Standard Time. TODAY.

Be there.
    Or be an asshat.

edited February 2014
    I am a terrible liar!!!!!!!

But yeah, time came around for sprints and I had completely forgotten. I have some prep work I need to do for the next round of submissions, but I won't be able to make the early "burst" writing today.

Edit: Also apparently, it decided the parenthesis at the end of my name was part of my name for when you tagged me in that post.

bigrickcook on
    It is the end of another month, fellow writers. Report! What have you done with yourself?

I'll lead by example:

I popped my submissions cherry with a short story to LightSpeed! I'm excited about popping my rejection cherry in about 35 days.

I started editing my NaNo novel and realized that it's unworkable. That's fine, but I need to get moving on another project, like, yesterday.

So I'm world building, researching and outlining, and cruising for my next submission opportunity.

That's me. What are you doing??

Before you answer that, please read this advertisement:

The "What the hell have you done with yourself? Nothing? Fix that!" sprint-o-thon will be going down tomorrow afternoon from 2pm to 4pm and then will resume from 8:30pm until 10pm. There will be another sprint-o-thon on Thursday night from 8:30pm until 10pm as well. Basically, if you see me in IRC, I'm gonna be marking out 10 minute time periods for useful writing/planning/editing/PRODUCTIVITY.

So be there. End your February strong. Then start your March like a lion! A great writing lion! With the roaring and the tearing of supple literary flesh. YEAH.

Amaliatapeslinger
    Hey. Hey you. What are you doing?

I'm plotting/outlining and drinkin' tonight.

You should join me, as I am rarely drinking when I'm in IRC. It COULD be entertaining.

No, seriously, I need help outlining and brainstorming and junk. So join me in IRC tonight. 8:15 EDT until I fall asleep (10)

• jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Oh maaan. February was horrible month for writing. I had a kid. Newborns really eat into the time you can sit at the keyboard and pound out words (only got in 4000 words).

Writer's group meets tonight, but I'll be back in the wordsmithing game tomorrow.

jdarksun on
    KCWise
    CONGRATS ON YOUR BABY!
    Who complains about having a baby!?!?!?
    (Oh, wait... every parent ever)

I'll be in IRC all week, so come join us and tell us about the babe! And catch up on your wordsmithing... you aren't the only one who is behind!

This is what I did this weekend, "writers." What were you fools doing? Were you hanging out with your families? Maybe enjoying a nice spring day? Cuddling a new baby? Getting your Bracket on?

Feh. I say feh to you!

I did the following:

Completed a beautiful outline for a novel-length project that I will start first thing on Friday morning.
    Researched Blaxploitation vernacular and style.
    Came up with a skeleton of a premise for my SoulPunk flash fic for Chuck's challenge this week (gonna be written in Blaxploitation style)

I still have some tiny issues... well, a major issue... but I look forward to brainstorming with @Quoth about that tomorrow in IRC.

So? What are you doing? What's your excuse? GET IT TOGETHER AND ART THIS WEEK.

See you in IRC for brainstorming, outlining, writing, and maybe some bursts of productivity! Every afternoon this week 2-4pm EDT and MTuWed evening 8-9:30pm EDT.

Beeee theeeeerrrreeeeeee!!

tapeslinger
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Bloat much? Cincinnati, OhioRegistered User regular
    Debating between linking some folklore from throughout history or just saying fuck it all and moving my setting to Earth-ish.

TvTropes as well. Lots of TvTropes.

0QA6SRd.jpg
    KCWise
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I played Titanfall it was lots of fun. I'm hoping the threat of working later in the day will make me productive tomorrow when I have limited time. Need to finish up this short story I got notes from VP for and make others read it.

KCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I um
    had too much other shit to do this week

I am reading a metric ton of books at the moment in the hopes that it will open the damned pores of my writer being but so far it's basically making me rue my inabilities futilely in anticipation of Mediocre Monday

tapeslinger on
    KCWise
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben Registered User regular
    This weekend I: managed to conquer a decade's worth of existential despair, put together a serious plan to write the first draft of a novel by the end of May, and wrote...uh...346 words! That's 346 more words than the past few months! That a start, at least.

It's been a good weekend, overall.

KCWise
    Created a fictional language. Had lots of arguments about said fictional language. Got told I was a grammar wizard.

I basically did that for my entire Saturday. Other than that it was Titanfall with spats of Minecraft. This week is the week I will finish the damn editing I've been working on.

KCWise
    I expect to see ALL YA'LL up in the IRC for some bootcamp this week!!! Don't gotta be ALL the days, but it better be at least ONE day!!

And Tape, we're gonna beat up those Mediocre Monday blues. No mediocrity on my watch!!!

....Blaxploitation research has made me a little...aggressive...

But first, I gotta clean my house and change diapers like a good little housewife. See ya in the IRC around 1:30ish.

Also, Rick. What the what? That's really cool. Also, now I kinda want someone to make a TWB Minecraft server...wouldn't that be the coolest?

The fictional language is for the game system that my newly-minted company is working on. I actually didn't want to start working on the language until we had the backstory fleshed out, at which point we'd develop the language and apply the naming scheme to the world based on that language at that time. But I am not in charge of the company and our creative direction is dictated by the president, and he wanted the language. So that's what we did.

um. I suck and have not written for days. In my defense I have been doing a LOT of reading, and I was sick as a dog.

that's legit, right?

tapeslinger
    Got my March short story submissions rocking and rolling, out to Clarkesworld, Apex, and I thought I'd try The Colored Lens. Was going to do Lightspeed, but they're closed for dude submissions at the moment.

tapeslingerKCWise
    edited April 2014
    It's April and I'm gonna give a quick update on my yearly goals!

1. Submit a short story. Still completed!

2. Submit 12 short stories over the course of 2014. I have submitted five unique stories so far this year, out of nine total submissions. Ahead of the curve!

3. Self-publish the sequel to my first novel. This has been changed to 'use my publishing company to publish the sequel.' This is also done, roughly on time. The cover art is underway, my beta readers have started, and the copyright/isbn stuff is gonna be started in about two weeks I think. Tentative for sometime in May, but probably closer to June for actual release.

4. Write the Silmarillion of a brand new tabletop gaming universe, aka the Bible of the universe. Still barely scratched the surfaced of this, beyond mapping out the major arc of the history, planning out some races and unique creatures, and building the language. This is going to be my next big focus over most of April and May.

5. Start writing blog posts again. I've written a few new short stories and a few articles, but I haven't reacquired the twice per week update schedule I'd like to get back to quite yet. Either way, partial success!

New Goals:

6. Related to #4, the focus of the company has shifted from the tabletop RPG to a hybrid card game with RPG elements for zombie apocalypse scenarios. It's much more manageable for the company to create this smaller scale thing in the interim before we go on to tackle the big tabletop RPG. My business partners are going to be actively working on the mechanics of the card game over the next couple of months while I'm working on the world-building for the tabletop RPG. After they finish the mechanics and have a playable version, they'll switch back to actively working on the tabletop RPG for mechanics once they have more world-building to utilize while I will switch to the zombie card game to write flavor text and work on little scenarios that can be played with the game.

7. This one is mostly predicated upon the company actually making some money in the short term (which isn't terribly likely at the moment), but if we can manage to take off with my new book and gain some traction, I'll be looking for another author to bring on board that we can publish. This one's a hopeful, but I think it'll probably be at least a year before we start actively trying to bring on new authors.

8. Finish and publish another standalone novel before the end of the year. I have one that needs a significant amount of scene rewrites, and I actually lost about 30 pages worth of writing at one point, so I have to completely rewrite those sections, but if I devote a solid month to finishing it I should be able to get it done. While I'm letting it linger I will be working on the third book in my series with the intent to finish the first draft before winter rolls around. Then I'll go back and finish revisions on the standalone for a fourth quarter release, THEN do the same thing with the third book in the series for a first or second quarter release. The goal is to manage two book releases a year.

9. Lose my damn mind. Well on my waaaaaay.

bigrickcook on
    AmaliaKCWise
    FRIENDS, WRITERS, COUNTRY(WO)MEN! LEND ME YOUR ATTENTION!!! (And affection! Heeeeyy...how you doin'?)

What in the... is it June!? What... how....when....? Good Lord...

It's summer, ya'll. Camp NaNo is in a month. There are sub deadlines looming. There are stories to be told. And this forum has been sorta dead. Time to wake it up, re-commit, get engaged, write some words, sub some stories, and improve our work. Let's do it!

What are you doing this month? What have you done over the last two months? Does anyone know if there are any good things to submit to between now and June 30? Or even July 31? Who is prepping for NaNo? (Me! Me!!!)

Here is what I'm put to:

1. This week: Complete my outline for ViBo act II (I wrote an outline last week but decided I hated it. Re-kajiggering some stuff.)
    2. Next week and the week after: Write ViBo act II and submit for feedback (in IRC) by Friday, June 13th.
    3. While waiting for feedback, start outlining Vibo Act III (and decide if it needs an Act IV). These will be my Camp NaNo Projects
    4. If there are any submission deadlines for June 30th that I have an idea for, maybe deviate and try to write one story.

My goal for August 30th: Have ViBo story completely finished and begin editing. Submit at least 1 short story to a market somewhere.

Let us begin the great summer cultivation of creation and words! MAKE IT WORK, PEOPLE!

bigrickcook
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Fireside has reopened for submissions. I think there's a link on my Grindstone page somewhere. They pay very well.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Fireside has reopened for submissions. I think there's a link on my Grindstone page somewhere. They pay very well.
    and the types of stories they buy are sort of all over the map, too. pretty sure my friend who had a sale there sold something that was either literary or damned near.

YO!

It's the 9th of June! Why haven't I heard from anybody beyond Quoth and Tape? What are ya'll doing out there!?!?

Me this week:

Just put in my first 500 words for ViBo Act II. I'm already pumped about it. Can't wait to share!

At night time this week, I'm going to edit my short story about Victor and his mom (posted here like, a year ago) and submit that to Fireside.

What. Are. You. Doing. Writers? I must needs know!

Sprints and other discords are coming back in full effect starting July 1 for Camp NaNo for ya'll who are doing it.
    I'd like to see some outlining/brainstorming sessions happen this month. Maybe starting two weeks before? Anyone interested in that?

I could run the list but it would be pretty disappointing. Life happened!

My zombie submission for the zombie anthology got to the third round before it got reject. I was at a writing panel at an anime convention when I got the rejection so that felt just about right.

I've been working on the world-building for the tabletop RPG, but it's slow-going on account of how much I dislike world-building.

I haven't submitted any work since my last post in this thread.

The blog has been idle for a month.

My new novel was supposed to be out last month but we're having issues getting everything set up.

It's basically been "we're all too fucking busy with real jobs to concentrate on anything" and it was only this past weekend when I gave myself some time off to go to this convention. Now I'm going to be busier than ever at work and it's very frustrating not having the mental energy to focus on creative things.

I shall be attempting to get things back under control and moving forward in the next couple weeks.

KCWise
    Just submitted to Fireside. Oh. My. God.

GET ON YOUR WRITING GOALS, PEOPLE! IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Let the long anxious pee-pee dance of rejection waiting commence!!

tapeslinger