Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• WankWank Registered User regular
    i think it's natural man. i'm back in a groove now working on a novelette, but that was after a solid three-and-a-half weeks of being a lazy unmotivated schmuck. finishing a big project does it to you

Amalia
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Ruz, maybe you should just play Darkest Dungeon, finish the game to refill your tanks, and then get back to work fresh once it's behind you. We all need breaks sometimes.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Absolutely. I'm committed to taking December off from now on, given how my life plays out.

...except teaching, I'll probably still do that. But that's it. Teaching and video games.

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Yeah... I'm wondering if Winter is just not a good season for writing. I just can't seem to find momentum. The snow days are killing me. Today is the first day little boys have been on school for 7 days! It is difficult to get in a writing mood when babies are screaming and there is an endless white abyss out the window...

But then I yell at myself because I keep up the blog, so why can't I seem to write fiction?

Writing blogposts and writing fiction are two different things -- I think fiction takes more concentration and uninterrupted time than blogging!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Hey this looks like something I should do.

Writing Goals for 2016

1. 1K words a day. Any words, just get them written and then enter it into the spreadsheet.
    2. Complete novel outline by February.
    3. Beef up outline by April.
    4. First draft by August.
    5. Second draft by November.
    6. Win NaNoWriMo again.
    7. Get critique before proceeding with third, hopefully final, draft in December.

Going to be making liberal use of the calendar function in Google to schedule myself. Tried a dry-erase board in my apartment but can't do the kind of detail I can when typing something.

Right, let's see how I did.

1. Yep, check that one off as 100% completed even through my fever sickness. Still not reading THOSE words.
    2. I completed this one midway through January and spent the rest of the time refining it.
    3. Already in progress, I'll probably be done end of February.
    4. N/A
    5. N/A
    6. Funny thing is I wrote 49K total words in January according to the log. Still not officially NaNo but still, just what.
    7. N/A

So going forward here's my revised list of goals.

1. Decide if this novel is going to be MG or YA by end of February. cantitbeboth.jpg
    2. Beef up outline by April
    3. First draft by August
    4. Second draft by November
    5. Win NanoWriMo again.
    6. Get critique before proceeding with the third, hopefully final, draft in December.
    7. Look into getting a mechanical keyboard for faster typing (oh yeah I REALLY need this huh) and clicky clack less joint pressure.
    8. Pick up a copy of Writer's Market 2016/2017 and research fantasy submissions.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    Note: many libraries have Writer's Market so you don't have to buy it, and you can also check Agent Query: http://www.agentquery.com/

Made it to my weekly goal of 10K and then some already -- 10,700+ and I'm at 20K for the month. 11 chapters or so to go to finish, and the manuscript is at 100,400 which is... longer than I had hoped but. It'll hold together. (Come on baby, hold together.)

Finished up one of the hardest chapters in this book. Next time I'm outsourcing to Amalia, because I can't do romance for SHIT.

AmaliaKCWiseHarry Dresden
    I dunno, I'm feeling pretty hit-or-miss in this book, right now. My romance game is currently WEAK.

The snow is melting (for now), it's school vacation week... but it is Thursday morning and I'm plugging away at this outline. Thanks to my WonderBook, I have been very thoughtful about this beginning and the magical element and I'm finally feeling satisfied. Characters feel believable, the world is feeling full... the trajectories are finally facing at the right angle... finally!

Now to put the same efforts into the middle!

Can I actually start writing this thing, for real, in March? Maybe? I feel so damn behind!

tapeslingerAmaliabigrickcookQuoth
    This week was a low wordcount week because half of it was spent trying to make the stuff at the end that I'd written earlier fit the stuff I'd written since, but man guys, my writer-brain is making it feel like failure, even though I can now say that I have finished the historical half of my book and just have to tackle the rest of the contemporary side. HOPEFULLY it will go faster.

Week: 3982
    month: 25831
    year: 65177
    manuscript: 106,222

Edited the first half of my book, then realized I needed to do more things with it and started back at the beginning again.

Amaliatapeslinger
    Manuscript of DOOM is now COMPLETE!
    taking the weekend off (except I have a signing on saturday so not completely completely) and GLORYING IN THE DONE-NESS.
    Then tackling Hippodamia's Edits.

tapeslingerQuothKCWisebigrickcook
    Yass!!! Get it, Amalia!! You are awesome!!

tapeslingerAmalia
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Been a while since I posted in here. I had a good week of writing, editing, and maintaining my blog, and I'm feeling like I'll be able to keep up with the variety of writing-related things I need to be doing going forward.

I joined Camp NaNo for the month and committed myself to 50 hours of editing, which should push me way far on my editing goals and keep me motivated to keep on working at it afterwards.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    AmaliaKCWise
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oof, I really have not been keeping up with properly logging my daily count in the spreadsheet and having to go back to each individual email I send to myself with the day's contents to figure out the count is a bit time-consuming. Really need to establish a set schedule, and not just for this one task.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    Power to all ya'll!

Chapter 3 of Silverwood was finished today. Started chapter 4 and the deviations from the outline have begun.

tapeslinger
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I'm actually back to writing again after a horrible spell. Currently, lots of outlining and lots of sketching of ideas and trying to figure out where I'll take it -- normally I hate this part, but I'm actually having a blast doing it, and managing to get myself excited about what I'll be writing once I have this all down pat.

I'm not counting words at the moment that much, though, as it's hard to do that with any reasonable measure during this step of the project -- and doesn't really count for much anyway, as few of these words will make it into even the first draft, never mind any final one. Occasionally writing a disconnected scene or two to go along with the rest of it, though.

tapeslingerKCWise
    Another week down and I'm kicking ass again. Camp NaNo is giving me the daily requirement I apparently need to keep moving on anything long-term. I did a bunch of fine-tuning on the worldbuilding for my shapeshifter series and I've been stepping through to tweak the first novella. One more pass and I think I'll be ready to move on from it.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    AmaliaKCWise
    Get. It. GET. IT!!! YOU BETTA GET IT, RICK!! YES!

bigrickcook
    Just 100 pages into Hippodamia's edits so far but man, I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. It's like a breath of fresh air to be working on it.

KCWisetapeslinger
    I'm in the middle of chapter 28 of 30. Or 31, if I have to split a chapter. So close...

AmaliabigrickcookKCWise
    I have what might be about a quarter of an outline down now, and a lot of questions to figure out answers to. But it's coming together fairly well, despite that.

tapeslinger
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Welp, finished my application for Radiotopia's Podquest this evening with like, fifteen minutes to spare. (not for Mad Writers Union, but a separate podcast.) Now to try not to think about it for a month. (Apparently semifinals results are coming mid-May; I was expecting it to take longer...)

tapeslinger on
    bigrickcookAmaliaQuoth
  • InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    I am forever right at the end of my fantasy western. After letting it sit for a little while, I'm back at it, hopefully within sight of actually finishing.

I'm so close to the end that I'm starting to rush, which is bad.

edited April 2016
    I know that feeling. Is it because you're tired of writing it and want it to be done, or because you're excited to get to the end? I've been both on various projects.

Inkhand on
    Yes. The answer to your question is yes.

One chapter to go.

tapeslingerInkhand
    100 pages of edits left to go! Hoping to finish them up before Friday, since I have an editorial call for the manuscript of doom that afternoon. bleh.

tapeslingerKCWise
    Finished my novel draft. Going to clean up a few more things while assembling the PDF, then send it to readers.

bigrickcooktapeslingerAmaliaDoctorJestKCWiseInkhand
    I'm behind right now based on where I wanted to be, but I'm making use of my Sunday to get caught back up. Just a couple thousand words of fiction and I'll be solid again.

AmaliaKCWise
    Cleaned up through chapter 12. Probably not going to finish in April at this rate, but it will be very close.

Progress is progress is progress.

So I am cheering with joy for you!

I've surprised myself by actually managing to finish the fantasy western. Now I just need to reorganize some chapters and come up with a title (the hardest part of all!).

Quoth
    Hellooooooo Edits of DOOM for the Manuscript of DOOM. Gotta wrap the first round by the 6th. And I only have EVERYTHING to do, so that's good.

QuothKCWise
    You can do eeeeet!

KCWiseAmalia
    edited April 2016
    Brainstorming, brainstorming. I have a lot of stuff I like in this outline now, but I'm not at all happy with the antagonists for the tale, and I think they're blunting it. So now begins a process of writing down all kinds of nonsense, just to try and find the thing I actually want to keep...an oddly fun exercise.

I envy those of you at the point of edits. I'm not even at the point of writing yet.

EDIT: In a curious moment of inspiration, I figured out this morning that my antagonists were fine, but that I'd screwed the story up by giving it a timeline that made no sense for them, so they didn't seem to fit. A bit of tinkering with the timeline, and hey presto, they suddenly make sense -- and the story acquired a ton of extra momentum. I guess the problems aren't always quite where you think!

DoctorJest on
    One chapter left. This book is going DOWN.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWise
    I got twisted off into writing the most ludicrous novelette the past few days, so editing fell a little behind. I had so much fun writing it, though!

AmaliaKCWiseQuothDoctorJest