Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

1151617181921»

• DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    Five hours of not being able to sleep last night has left me A) knackered, and B) with an almost entirely completed outline for this novel now, and one that I'm really loving sewing together. It's still missing parts, but I know what those parts are, and it's all great...

Aside from the final conflict of the story, which is riddled with "I don't know how he can possibly get out of this". But hey, if I can't, hopefully nobody else will be able to see where it's going either...because hell if I know. It ain't obvious, anyway, I'm sure of that much.

Inkhand
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    84% done with edits. Just wrote in a new scene which gave me intense sympathetic anxiety for my character so I mean I guess that's a good thing maybe. I'm HOPING fingers crossed that I might be able to wrap this tomorrow. I feel like it's making me cross-eyed.

wish me luck.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    InkhandtapeslingerbigrickcookQuoth
  • InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    Good luck! And to @DoctorJest and everybody else who needs it, too.

I finished! I think.
    Tomorrow I'll go over the edit letter on more time and make sure I covered all my bases and then I'm calling it.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Quothtapeslinger
    So, a friend of mine just got their book accepted through Kindle Scout -- and they're pretty thrilled about the whole thing. Has anyone else had any experiences with them as a platform to date?

DoctorJest wrote: »
    So, a friend of mine just got their book accepted through Kindle Scout -- and they're pretty thrilled about the whole thing. Has anyone else had any experiences with them as a platform to date?

Interesting! I'd love to know how that works out for them. I kind of feel like if it's going to be up to me to do all the legwork on everything then I might as well just self-pub, but if Amazon comes through with promotions and sales... the potential of what Amazon brings to the table is big. IF they really invest in the titles.

I'll let you know if I find out anything about it -- I know that the contract comes with a $1,500 advance, and termination of their publication rights if they fail to make $25k in a 5-year period -- but I don't know anyone else who's actually done it yet. She was keen to go this way before going with small publishers, though, for the same reasons described for promotions et al.

More outlining done now. I actually have an outline of a novel finished by this point, and it's not bad, but I'm letting it simmer, and continuing to test it for problems and absences. I keep thinking of new things, or realising aspects of it that I hadn't noticed before, which change the story significantly--and each one seems to make it better. I was hopeful that outlining this thoroughly before starting would prove to be a good experience, but it's turning out to be a much better one than I expected. I seem to spend a few nights in a row with nothing much being altered, and then suddenly there'll be one seismic shift, and a whole chunk of the story just lurches off in a better direction.

The only trouble now is, I'm getting impatient, and wanting to start actually writing it--only I'm finding being patient is paying off so much that I wonder what I'll miss out on in the story if I push into the writing prematurely. It's a bit alien all this--I've never been much of one for outlining to this point.

vamen
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    So I know I'm mostly a phantom in these parts, but I was hoping you guys could help me regain my perspective. A few months ago I had one of my stories featured on a podcast (they paid me and everything!), which really boosted my confidence and was great. Unfortunately since then it's gone back to how it was before - submit something, receive a rejection. It's kind of murdering my desire to put words to page, which is already kind of bottlenecked these days.

How do you guys keep your chins up in the face of a wall of rejections?

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    you pretty much keep doing it, or don't. it's perfectly okay to take a break from it.
    What podcast?

It was the NoSleep Podcast. They did a pretty good job with it, I was pleased.

I think you just need to develop a thick skin for some of that, though. Stories get rejected for a hundred reasons, and sometimes, good stories get rejected. I've accumulated 275 rejections and 3 acceptances to date -- which is a naff ratio, but I also noticed that as I went, I got more friendly rejections, and more positive feedback even when a story's being declined. (At one point, I set myself the goal of accumulating a hundred rejections, simply to get used to rejection rather than being derailed by it. And on another forum I visited, members essentially raced one another to see who could be first to accumulate a hundred rejections for the year.)

tapeslinger
    My personal mantra has always been "if not this book, then the next." And I just keep reminding myself that the next thing could be THE thing! I can't tell you how many years in a row I decided THIS YEAR IS MY YEAR before finally I had a year that could qualify. Sometimes I think to be a writer, we have to perfect the art of lying to ourselves just a little bit -- determined optimism that the next thing will happen if you just keep pushing forward.

tapeslingerDoctorJestCheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    That's a great way to put it, Amalia.

I'm finally working on the actual novel draft, but took a short break today to polish and submit some short stories that I'd decided to set aside until I had this novel project ball properly rolling -- two first-time subs, one edit, and one unaltered re-sub. It felt really good to get those out the door, but I'm still holding off on doing any extensive short-story work until I have this novel draft completed.

(Also, I have one story out at two markets now, which was a bit of a cock-up -- I withdrew a short story from a market after I saw they'd become associated with the Rabid Puppies movement, and when they rejected it four months later, I thought it was another market rejecting me (their rejection had NO identifying information in it). Then a few days ago I got word that it'd made it to final considerations with a market that I thought had turned it down, plus it's been sitting in another market's slush for a couple of months. Fortunately, the second market looks like it won't get to it for months yet, so hopefully the first will have decided one way or the other before then...)

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Which market was that? The Puppies one I mean.

I'm back from facation and taking some time to recover, but after THAT -- Orc 3! (I wrote an opening scene while "vacationing" so at least I'm not starting from a dead stop.)

Quoth
    Thank you for the advice, guys. I'll keep banging my head against it. It helps to know it's not just me.

DoctorJest
    Quoth wrote: »
    Which market was that? The Puppies one I mean.

Something called the Sci Phi Journal. It didn't seem to be linked to them when I first found out about it, and I liked the idea of what they pitched for the magazine -- but just the idea of it stuck in my throat after I caught wind of that.

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Amalia wrote: »
    Ugh, yesterday was a bad day for writing and today is shaping up to be a "screw it I hate everything" kind of day, too. WHY IS WRITING HARD.

You can do it Amalia. Just relax, it will come to you.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

AmaliaKCWise
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, have I been absent for some 6 months? Awesome. Sorry!

I just came back from a vacation that I treated as a writer's retreat. Resulting in:

Development of the plotline and preliminary outline for Meadowlark III.
    Development of the premise for a new novella series that is religious in nature. I'm not sure I'm ready to call it "Christian Fic" yet. Trying not to get too pigeonholed here...
    I finished the difficult chapter of Silverwood that has a clearly fantastical element in it and I really liked the results. Onto the next!

Oh, and my freelance writing has taken an interesting turn. So... I spent a lot of time researching how to be a legit business person. Gonna make myself a real bonafide LLC like an adult person. Scary like whoa.

AmaliatapeslingerQuothCheeselikerKamarRonin356
    An update, I suppose - taking the advice received here and in other places, I decided to just surge ahead and keep writing.

As a result, I finally pushed myself to finish the first draft of my novel. I'll start the first round of revisions in a couple of weeks (I'm letting my fiancee read the first draft so I can get a few preliminary critiques, and also to take a little time away from the thing so I can go in as fresh as possible for the revisions), and in the meantime I plan on working on some short stories to stay sharp.

Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Definitely take some time before editing. I know at least for me, right after I finish a draft I absolutely despise it. Then, if I ignore it for at least a week or more, I read it and it comes off alot better than what I had first thought. You need a little distance.

AmaliaInx
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Having trouble writing panel shots for my indie comic book.

I'm not sure if it is writer's block or what.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

Finally got that whole two-market mess cleaned up -- the story's lingering in final round at the second market, and was rejected by Analog. But that rejection came with a "like your writing style, please submit more" note attached to the rejection, which was unexpected, but very nice.

It seems like that's my current yard-stick for progress -- not so much how often I get accepted or rejected, but how much friendlier the rejections have become...

Also, I'm now about 20-25k into my rewrite novel draft, and really enjoying it. I haven't had this much fun working on a novel in quite some time.

vamen