As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rust] - Official PA Server - Get Yo Rocks Ready!

sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
257ja88.png

Helpful Info

Play Rust Official Website

Play Rust Wiki - Tons of useful information and guides to get you started

FacePunch Forums - Add to the mayhem or include your input

The Map

Steam

Purchase Rust

Join Our Steam Group

Official Server -

IP: 174.34.169.2:28045

Server Name: !Rust! Door Sharing/Player Commands/Modded Loot

Slots: 100

Sleeper: Off

Crafting Time :Half Time

Rust ++ : A mod which gives players user commands similar to Minecraft. Type /help in chat for commands

DropParty : A mod which allows server admins to edit the probability of item drops, or gives them the ability to remove items entirely

* To direct connect to a server press F1 and type "net.connect 174.34.169.2:28045"

sliver911 on

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys,

Just purchased a new dedicated Rust server and I was hoping to make it an official PA server for us to play on.

Still looking for a catchy name, and I'm open for suggestions.

At the moment it only has 100 slots, however, it can be upgraded if necessary.

It's currently moving to a quieter node to ensure its completely stable.

I quickly threw up this thread, so bare with me, I will add info as I go.

You can add me on steam if you want - Steam ID = thesliver911 (same picture I use on the forums)

I will post the server information in the OP as soon as its ready to go. If you have any questions or input please give me a shout!

Cheers!

sliver911 on
  • Options
    Server is now officially running. The details to connect are in the OP

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I just got this a few days ago. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. It looks immensely more appealing than stuff like DayZ. I'll make sure and join in once I get a chance to fire it up!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I would be happy to show you the ropes when you get the chance to play!

• Options
    Sliver, could you post a link to your Steam profile? I searched for you ok steam but couldn't find your user name. Alternatively, you can click on my sig to get to my profile and send me a request, but it'd probably be good for you to put yours in the OP anyway so other people joining in can friend you.

That'd be cool if you can show me how everything works. When do you usually play? I generally can't play much of anything until after 9:00 PM Central, so if you're on after that I'll definitely try and catch up with you. How do the servers work exactly? Can anyone join the PA server, or do they have to have the IP to direct connect to it? And what do the "slots" do exactly?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    I'm gonna start on your server right now. Do we have a TS/vent/whatever? I've been playing for weeks but what I'm missing is a group of peeps to band together and do stuff.

delicious.
  • Options
    Alright, I was up waaaay too late playing this tonight. Pretty fun game, even going it alone on a public server. It has it's share of issues, but there's a lot of promise there. I'll post more detailed impressions tomorrow, but right now I need sleep big time.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Impressions! As I noted, these are from me basically playing by myself on a public PvP server for about 3 hours last night.

What I liked:
    • Crafting is pretty intuitive and easy to figure out. There aren't too many levels deep right at first. You need two or three materials at most to craft something, and that might be used as a material in another item, but it generally doesn't go much further than that for most items at first. I didn't get any blueprints, so I imagine with those it can get much more in depth. For someone new coming into it though, it's very accessible.
    • The day/night cycles are well done. Daytime lasts a good long while, and the nights are relatively short compared to them. And even when it is night, a good part of it is lit well enough to still see what you're doing for the most part. There is only a 5-10 minute window where it's actually pitch black and you can't see anything. This leads naturally to people tending to hunt and gather during the day and hunker down during the dark parts of the night. These are good times to lock yourself in a shelter and get your crafting done, so though you can't do much outside, it doesn't feel like wasted time.
    • Random encounters can be pretty neat. I had several instances when I'd spot a pig or deer, and just as I get up to it saw a zombie running at me out of my peripheral vision. This led to a crazy roundabout chase trying to lose the zombie without losing the pig, because I was about to starve to death and I needed that pig! In another instance, I was walking around at night looking for food because I was on the brink of death, when I heard this creepy voice singing nearby. When I stopped to listen, they stopped for a moment and then started again, this time chanting that he was going to get me. I was already freaked out and paranoid because it was pitch black, and then with this added in I just took off running. Only, the voice got louder! I ran behind a boulder and crouched and the voice stopped. I breathed a sigh of relief, but as soon as a turned around a dude with a rifle was standing right behind me and promptly blew my brains out. I cried out, then laughed as a I realized how genuinely tense and wound up I was. Someone had really been messing with me and it was a lot of fun.
    • Which leads to the last good point: this actually feels like a survival game. I'm not trying to amass an army or conquer the entire map. I'm just trying to make it through the night without getting eaten by a bear or a zombie, or getting shot and robbed by another player, or starving to death because I can't find any food. I'm sure that in time my goals will expand appropriately, but for now the sense of me against the wilderness is well done.

What I didn't like:
    • Laaaaag. At least the server I was playing on, which has the lowest ping on my list, lagged like crazy. I'd be walking, then suddenly warp 100 feet behind where I'd been standing. When you're trying to smash a pig's skull in with a rock, this can make the task fairly frustrating.
    • Resources are a little too scarce. Again, maybe it was just the server I was on being picked clean already, but I had a tough time finding stuff. At first, the three main things you need to find are wood, rocks, and animals. Wood isn't too bad since you can get it from trees, which are everywhere, but gathering it this way with just a stone is slow going and dangerous. It's faster to get it from a wood pile, but these are few and far between. Even more scarce are rocks, which yield things like stones and ore. These are so rare to find that they seem almost mythical. In my entire three hours playing last night, I found maybe six or seven rocks total, and each one yields very little in terms of resources. You usually need at least two just to build a stone hatchet, which is a basic necessity if you want to survive more than one night. Oh, you want to build a furnace so you can actually smelt some of that ore you're finding? Good luck surviving long enough to find enough stones for that! Finding animals isn't quite as bad, but they can still be tough to get. The worse problem is that about half the time I'd find one, there was a zombie or more dangerous animal close by and so I couldn't hunt it without attracting attention. So all in all, they just need to increase the resources available in the world. Not a lot, but enough that you actually have a chance of finding some before getting killed.
    • Kind of related, but going alone in this game is extremely difficult. I think it can be done, but you'd have to be both very good and very lucky. More lucky than good. It is more likely that you'll be killed before you can ever craft enough and build up your character to actually be able to decently defend yourself. I think the only way you can ever hope to progress beyond a basic shelter and a hatchet is to team up with one or two other people. And even then I wouldn't say it's guaranteed.

Still on the fence:
    • The people I encountered ran the gamut from cool to terrible. Many of them would kill you on sight, and for those that didn't, I think most of them only didn't because they weren't sure their weapons were better than your own. There were a handful of genuinely cool people though. For example, at one point I was trying to kill a pig with a rock and having a tough time at it, when I spotted two armored dudes with rifles running up to me. I basically stopped and waited for the "You are dead" screen to pop up. Instead, they shot the pig for me, and one of them said "He's all yours bro!" Which was very cool of them. So yeah, it's not all bad. And honestly, I think you need the mix of people both ways to keep you on your toes and to keep each encounter fresh. I just haven't played enough yet to know if the mix is quite right.
    • This game can at times be stunningly beautiful, and at others just butt-ugly. This is running on highest graphical settings on my pretty high end rig. I'm hoping this is just the alpha stage of the game still being rough around the edges.
    • There's no map, at least not in-game. Some people in chat we're saying there's one online somewhere, but I haven't confirmed this yet. On one hand, this sucks because I never could tell where I was. When is chat with people and they suggested teaming up, I had no idea how to explain where I was. "Yeah, I'm next to the, uh... mountain I guess? And there's a bunch of trees nearby?" On the other hand, I liked the sense of natural exploration and learning the different areas as I went along. After going through the same area a couple of times I'd naturally begin to remember landmarks and stuff, and I'd have an idea at least of where I wanted to go next. We'll see of this procession continues.

Overall, even at 3:30 AM, I still didn't want to stop playing and only quit out of necessity because I could no longer keep my eyes open, so I think that says something about the fun to be had. I can't wait to jump into it again and see if me character survived while I was logged off. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone looking for a slightly different take on the online survival type game. I heard someone describe it as DayZ meets Minecraft, and so far that seems pretty accurate.

I'm going to try and connect the PA server tonight. Can't wait to run into you guys online!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I just started up, it seemed impossible at first but thanks for the help (I've forgotten your name already) now I'm up and running with tonnes of food and somewhere to craft and respawn. Definitely agree with the DayZ/Minecraft vibe.

• Options
    NosNos Registered User new member
    Just connected. I'm really looking forward to this game.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Started playing also. So the server name says it has modded loot, what is modded? Also the OP says sleeper is off but it sure looks like it is on in game.

• Options
    Thanks to the PA guys for setting me up with some nice equipment tonight. Seriously though, I was lost forever. I wonder why the map is so huge, and much of it barren.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    This was pretty crucial once I got my bearings: Intermediate Survival Guide. There are lots of basic guides out but this one goes more in depth and it's a great resource. And here's a video runthrough and a link to a labelled detailed map that can really help you get acquainted with your new home.

delicious.
  • Options
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    I'm gonna start on your server right now. Do we have a TS/vent/whatever? I've been playing for weeks but what I'm missing is a group of peeps to band together and do stuff.

I am also interested in this. I noticed at least some of the server is forming groups.

• Options
    SquatfurdSquatfurd 9000 feetRegistered User regular
    goddamn I wish I wasn't broke. It looks great, but $20 for alpha? No can do.

League of Legends: DingusSquatfurd
    B.net: Squatfurd#1814
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Wow, I stopped paying attention to the forum because I didn't think anyone had any interest!

So the server is modded! There are a lot of stupid things in the vanilla that I don't like, so I've decided to implement some mods that allow me the option to change some things.

Loot - Can be modded on probability of drop rate or removed entirely. I havn't touched it yet, but the option is there. I've noticed some servers have droped the probability of military weapons and explosive charges to make it more difficult to raid. I might get into this in the future.

Rust++ is a player mod which adds a few command options to the chat that don't exist in vanilla. I've decided to go ahead with a starter kit because I've always hated hitting things so slowly with a rock. That fact of the matter is, if you join the server and people have already built up, you don't have time to waste in order to get yourself in a defensible position.

Oxide - a new mod coming very soon. Allows for commands that enable door sharing! Some other cool things too, but door sharing is most wanted for those building together!

Vent - Penny Arcade has a vent server if you'd like to use it. They also have teamspeak I believe. I can contact the providers and ask if they'll throw up a Rust channel for us.

I will be on tonight and I will keep an eye out for PA'ers.. If you notice me in chat let me know if I've forgotten you and I"ll help you out.

Big Dookie - I noticed you were having some serious lag. However, you seemed to be the only player experiencing it for some reason. I kept trying to approach you but you would slingshot around the screen! Hopefully it will work itself out! There is a map, I will post it in the OP! Once you play for a little while you'll be able to tell where you are in no time.

Edit - Also Dookie, resources can be scarce or plentiful depending where you're located! Typically, locations around towns or civilian structures will be surrounded by wood and ore, however, probably players as well! Sometimes I feel its worth taking some time to just run the map and explore the locations! Where you set up camp could mean life or death.

sliver911 on
  • Options
    Was I lagging? I didn't notice on my end, at least not in the PA server. On the public server it was very noticeable, so I'm surprised I didn't see anything. I'll keep monitoring it and see if it's something on my end or not.

And yeah, I realized after a while that there are certain areas that are better to hang out for resource collection than others. I don't know where I ended up last night, but I got so far out that I literally walked in a straight line for 2 days and didn't see anything... not a rock, enemy, or player. Pretty crazy that so much of the map is completely devoid of life. I'm guessing that more of it will get filled in as time goes on? But yeah, the guys in the server came through for me and gave me lots of great equipment, so that was awfully nice of them. I'll have to do some more scouting before finally picking where to begin construction on Fort Dookie.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Also, I totally want to do some streaming of this game at some point.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Cool, I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be logging on for sure.

• Options
    So is the PA server open to anyone to join, or can only people with the address as posted above get in? I like the idea that anyone can join in and add to the "random" factor of who you might run into, but I'm cool with it either way, just curious.

Also, is there anyway to "favorite" a server in rust so I don't have to join using the console command every time, or is that the only way to do it?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The server is open to the public!

Also, there is a portion of the map that is a wasteland and no resources will spawn. If you take a look at the map provided in the OP I should point out that the most hospital areas are located in and around the main road.

There is no way to favorite the server, however, it will show up in your HISTORY tab in the server menu.

The name of the server is !Rust++! something...

Drake! Would love to see you out there surviving buddy

• Options
    Ahh, I didn't notice the History tab. Good to know. Thanks!

I got a new headset for this, so hopefully you guys can hear my awful, awful voice next time I'm online. Now I just need to figure out how to get Shadowplay working with it so I can start recording a few sessions.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NosNos Registered User new member
    edited January 2014
    I keep getting "incompatible version" when I try to net.connect to the server.

Edit: Nvm mine updated after I restarted steam.

Nos on
  • Options
    Just updated the server with the latest Rust++ Mod.

This version allows for Door Sharing. Much like Minecraft, just look at your door and type in chat /share "username"

You can /unshare if they don't seem friendly anymore.

FYI - I also have DropParty which is a mod that can edit the probability of certain items dropping or edit them out completely. Some servers are getting rid of explosive charges completely to reduce raiding. Some are also lowering the probability of military weapons. Anyone have any opinions?

• Options
    sliver911 wrote: »
    FYI - I also have DropParty which is a mod that can edit the probability of certain items dropping or edit them out completely. Some servers are getting rid of explosive charges completely to reduce raiding. Some are also lowering the probability of military weapons. Anyone have any opinions?

Once you get into changing drop tables to remove an item you basically need to wipe the server. I'm neutral on the idea but just pointing out it would require a wipe.

• Options
    I'm super against a wipe considering all that base building we've been doing/are still doing. I think that since we haven't had enough people online for airdrops to happen C4 hasn't been too obscene. I've seen 4 my entire time on this server (lol, seen 4 C4) and used two of them to blow down our own walls that we fucked up. My opinion is biased obviously because I will say anything I can to preserve Bearfort, but I'm fine with normal loot tables. Except when every crate has a p250 in it.

delicious.
  • Options
    I haven't advanced far enough yet for it to make much of a difference to me, but yeah, I can see how you guys building that fort would probably not be too thrilled about it. But for what it's worth, either way is cool with me.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Played on the server for a bit today, didn't recognize anyone that was chatting but still had a good time getting set up. I had a pretty great start, lots of resources at my spawn and all that. Then I saw the server message and spawned a starter kit. I was getting ready to set up my spot and got killed by a zombie that I totally ignored. So what should have been an easy start was the beginning of a string of hilariously unfortunate deaths until I managed to get established. I think I'm within spitting distance of Bearfort too, there's a big camp/fort up in the rocks near my position.

Drake on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the Bearfort. They're pretty good guys. Otto hooked me up with a bunch of equipment my first day there, though for some reason it seemed to have been wiped by the server stuff they did unfortunately. Still, they're cool. Just don't approach them with a weapon. They do not like that. :#

Also, wolves are the worst in this game. The worst. They will chase you for miles relentlessly.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    After watching some streams today while at work, I think I'm gonna grab this (and hope it turns out better than WarZ did). Also, because of watching streams and the utter ridiculousness it seemed setting up a base, with the need for a door for each person, the door sharing mod gets a preemptive thumbs up from me.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    I created a channel on the TeamSpeak 3 server for Rust. I created 2 group rooms in case there is a need to split things up. Enjoy!

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    After watching some streams today while at work, I think I'm gonna grab this (and hope it turns out better than WarZ did). Also, because of watching streams and the utter ridiculousness it seemed setting up a base, with the need for a door for each person, the door sharing mod gets a preemptive thumbs up from me.

I haven't played WarZ, and only a tiny bit of DayZ, so it's hard for me to make much of a comparison. However, I can say I've had a heck of a fun time with Rust so far and highly recommend it.

I agree about the door sharing mod. That'll also make it easier to incorporate new people into an already established base it seems like.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought they were taking the zombies out of the game?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sliver911 wrote: »
    Just updated the server with the latest Rust++ Mod.

This version allows for Door Sharing. Much like Minecraft, just look at your door and type in chat /share "username"

You can /unshare if they don't seem friendly anymore.

Sharing doesn't work for specific doors/gates, at least I can't make it work by looking at a door and typing it in. It instantly shares all doors with the other player, and I can't find anything about Oxide that says you can share specific doors. That blows D:

delicious.
  • Options
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    I'm super against a wipe considering all that base building we've been doing/are still doing. I think that since we haven't had enough people online for airdrops to happen C4 hasn't been too obscene. I've seen 4 my entire time on this server (lol, seen 4 C4) and used two of them to blow down our own walls that we fucked up. My opinion is biased obviously because I will say anything I can to preserve Bearfort, but I'm fine with normal loot tables. Except when every crate has a p250 in it.

I'm actually against a wipe also and would prefer to change drop rates during a forced wipe during a big update. But either way we would need a wipe otherwise only certain people who got the recipe before the change could make C4.

• Options
    Well it looks like the hackers finally found our server.

:(

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Sure does, lost a bunch of stuff behind closed doors and multiple levels up. Nothing was damaged so there would have been no way in.

• Options
    Yeah, I personally witnessed one guy speed hacking, zooming all around me like crazy. Definitely wasn't lag either, he was definitely using a cheat.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Lame, but pretty much to be expected at this stage of Rust's development.

• Options
    Yeah, it is, but it still sucks. I'd legitimately like to play the game as the developers intended so I can give feedback and report issues and stuff. But that becomes basically impossible when all you worry about is cheaters killing you unfairly or taking all of your stuff using wall hacks. It makes me not even want to play it honestly. Which is a shame, because when you're playing with regular, non-cheaters, it's a lot of fun! I don't want to have to stop playing because I really like it. But the way it is right now... I just don't know.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just needed to blow off some steam. Because man was I pissed tonight.

Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.