As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [College Basketball] thread that thinks it knows better than Bilas (details in OP)

• Options
    Lnrt87Lnrt87 KansasRegistered User regular
    K-State loses a close one to Texas and suddenly Bill's Boys have a 2 game cushion in conference play! I have a feeling we will need it...

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I read a lead-in to an article about the game on Twitter and it said, "Why K-State Shouldn't Worry About Texas Loss." My initial reaction was, "Because There'll Be Plenty More Losses To Come."

I can be kinda mean that way.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
  • Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=arodXjJQqBI

I know this is an old meme, but I love it anyway.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    OU with another strong performance beating Okie State. Lon Kruger has his team playing ball. Good to see Marcus Smart flailing like a fish out of water even when his team has already lost.

• Options
    I think the book on Smart is to be as physical with him as you can, and he'll get himself in foul trouble.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I have no clue how we jumped Wichita in the rankings. Also seeing Kansas make such a large jump is surprising. Glad we got them early.

• Options
    Strength of schedule. WSU's best win is St Louis on the road.

Nice to see Smart getting called out on his flopping. If only the refs would recognize it.

• Options
    Yes, but Florida last week:
    - Beat Alabama at Alabama
    - Beat Tennessee at home

Wichita State did both of these things already this season.

We've just reached the point in the season where we have everything to lose and damn near nothing to gain because the Valley is horrible this year.

Think about this ... I'm not a fan of Bracketbusters, but if they were still doing it, the matchup that there would likely be is Wichita State - San Diego State. THAT would have been a good game.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Lots of top ranked teams fell this weekend! KU got whooped by Texas, Wichita State continues to roll and that Duke vs. Syracuse game was fun to watch even though I hate both teams. Kentucky beat Missouri in a game where I wished both teams would somehow lose. The way things are shaping up I'm thinking this NCAA tourney is going to be nuts!

• Options
    Trees felled, and it seems like every sportswriter in America has finally given themselves permission to write about the Shockers this morning.

I'm still nervous as hell for the trip to Frostbite Falls this Saturday.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    I don't blame you for being nervous. You can never be sure about conference games. Just look what happened to KU at TCU last year. Don't let the sportswriters tell you it's an easy road!

• Options
    Well, Marcus Smart just cost himself probably 6-8 draft spots, and got a huge target on his back from every chirper in the NBA.

No matter what that fan may or may not have called him, you have to stay professional, especially if you want basketball to be your profession.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Did anyone for some inexplicable reason also watch the VCU-St. Joes game tonight? I'm fairly confident in my ability to put aside my own homer glasses when I say that that game was just generally poorly officiated, but I'd love feedback from others before I make up my mind on it being the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

I've never seen Shaka Smart be so angry at a ref that players have to step between them to prevent a technical.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    As much as I dislike Smart, I'm pretty firmly on his side in this situation. If I'm the AD he gets one game off and Texas Tech's event staff gets an ass-chewing from me. I don't think this hurts his draft stock nearly so much as his lackluster play in the conference. Remember kids: If you can get lottery money never, ever, ever come back to school.

Got my tickets to WSU @ Loyola for next week. As hard as the Ramblers played them at home, this should be a pretty good game. And I'm looking forward to wearing the yellow and black in a hostile arena.

I was at UW/MSU yesterday. One of the best games I've been to live. Badgers defense was pretty on point; Gasser in particular did a nice job of shutting down Gary Harris. The only big slip-ups they had were not covering shooters in transition. The pops for Kaminsky's 3 and Jackson's shot at the end were deafening. I've never heard the Kohl Center get nearly so loud.

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    I have to give credit where it is due K-State played one heck of a game last night. KU is going to have to get tougher. The games they have lost this year the other teams have been physical and pushed them around.

• Options
    Frankamp and Greene playing crunch time minutes was unusual to say the least. Embiid must be more hurt than they're letting on. Frankamp has really shown some improvement in his limited minutes, particularly defensively. He does a great job scrambling and staying in front of his man.

Hey, at least we had a better night than ISU.

• Options
    Great googly-moogly that was an ugly game. Barry Hinson has Southern Illinois playing like Southern Illinois again all right; if you can't stop the guy from getting to the rim, tackle him.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I've been wondering where this thread has been all season but haven't had the wherewithal to make one.

On that note, fuck UNC.

E: Aaaaaaaand the game is postponed. Well shit.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    There's a rumor going around that during Marshall's media tour in Bristol yesterday he and Coach K signed a home-and-home deal.

It's not a very good rumor, but it is a rumor.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Florida wins in Rupp!!! One of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen from our guys. Wilbekin is playing out of his mind and Young refuses to lose.

• Options
    It didn't hurt that Kentucky completely panicked once they got under a minute at were still five down.

And dammit, NC State, you had ONE JOB....

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Even after NC State turned it over twice at crucial moments they weren't out of it until they got called for goaltending. Way to go. And then immediately after, almost everyone I know goes to Facebook to blame the refs.

• Options
    That was clear goaltending; it was sitting on the rim.

The scariest thing from this weekend was Perry Ellis dropping 32. I've been saying all year that, even with Wiggins and Embiid, if KU wants to make a deep tourney run, they need Perry Ellis to be the leader and keep the other two focused.

Then again, it has to be scary for other teams that Fred VanVleet goes 18/8 with 5 steals and everybody knows he wasn't even the player of the game. Viva Scott City.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Even after NC State turned it over twice at crucial moments they weren't out of it until they got called for goaltending. Way to go. And then immediately after, almost everyone I know goes to Facebook to blame the refs.

The worst, most toxic thing in basketball fandom is the ever-present "The refs are biased against our team!" bitching that goes on after every loss. It seems like every fanbase does it, or at least has a segnment that does it. The refs aren't biased, they're just bad at their job.

I'm not buying the WSU/Duke rumors, but they do illustrate the precarious place WSU is in right now. If they wan't to be considered a high-mid-major they need to start playing better opponents, but better opponent's won't schedule them because there's no incentive to do so. At this point they either need to try to jump to a better conference, which is nigh-impossible without a football team, or start hitting the early-season tournaments hard to pick up quality wins.

Perry Ellis' spin move is one of my favorite things in basketball this year. It looks so effortless and seems to work against everyone.

• Options
    There was a tweet that went out yesterday from Creighton Basketball that said that Doug McDermott had climbed to #13 in the NCAA D1 all-time scoring list, and they made a point to say he had 1 point more than Larry Bird.

To which I replied, "and it only took him almost one more full season to do it." (Bird only played three seasons in the NCAA.)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Does anyone actually like Doug McDermott?

• Options
    Bobby Knight. Probably.

• Options
    From what I've heard Doogie is a nice enough kid, and as more WSU fans should be pointing out, Creighton's success in the Big Priest is evidence that WSU would be having similar success in a big conference, since both teams were pretty evenly matched last year.

But no matter how nice he is or how dominant he is, you just can't shake that dirty feeling that a lot of his success is his daddy setting up the entire offense for him. He might be an all-conference player on any other team, he might be an all-American on any other team, but he's probably not the runaway POY candidate on any other team.

Also, unless they can swing a late five-star recruit to replace him ... and Gibbs (assuming they don't get a SEVENTH year for him) ... and Wragge, they are screwed next year.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Creighton seems to go through these 3-4 year cycles where they'll get a great wing and build around him: Korver, Funk, and now McDermott. I think they'll be fine.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Does anyone actually hate him other than fans of MOValley teams?

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

I'm going to guess Villanova isn't too fond of him at this point.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Bobble wrote: »

Maybe not hate so much as really sick of hearing about him. Maybe I'm also overreacting andbeing very dramatic.

We can all agree on how much we don't like Marcus Smart though right? Even before the shoving thing? Is that just me again?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Iowa State fans hate Doug McDermott, too. Probably more than MVC fans.

Marcus Smart is a walking, flopping advertisement for why you never stay in school any longer than you have to.

• Options
    Actually, I think it's the other direction. I think Smart should stay all four years. He needs to learn to get control of himself before he goes pro. Give everyone two years to forget about the shoving incident and learn to carry himself like a professional.

I don't hate Doogie nearly as much as I hate hearing about him, and not at all like I hated Korver and Funk. Although, I'd rather hear the pundits talk up a four-year player like McDermott than one of the myriad "diaper dandies" out there. Kentucky vs. Florida showed that you can have all the athletic talent in the world and absolutely no idea how to use it when the game is on the line. Frankly, right now I'd love to see Kentucky in our corner of the bracket for that very reason.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Assembly Hall? More like DISassembly Hall, amirite?

(Thank God nobody was hurt.)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Well that was stressful! KU with a nailbiter at Tech. If we win our next 2 we will clinch the Big 12... so naturally we will drop one and have to sweat it out.

• Options
    Sweet mother of cow.....

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/shockers-on-the-cover-of-sports-illustrated/24556288

If we lose tonight, expect the name of the thread to change to, "Dammit Sports Illustrated...."

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Wooo, tomorrow = virology exam followed by UNC vs Dook. There will be plenty of cheap beer to salve my inevitable wounds. My only comfort is that we have been playing so variably/poorly it is a no win for Duke. They are expected to win, all they can do is preform under expectation.

• Options
    That was some real clutch shit from Wiggins last night on the last two possessions. I'll give it to Tech, they don't have a ton of talent but they had a game plan and they executed well.

I'm getting ready to leave for Chicago for the Shocker game. If we lose tonight you can blame it on me.