As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The DC/Marvel Live Action Thread: GotG Aug 1st

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I thought we agreed never to mention Ultimates 3 ever again.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought we agreed never to mention Ultimates 3 ever again.
    Those who forget the past (i.e. what happens when you let Loeb write) are doomed to repeat it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's kind of amazing how AoS isn't terrible (all the time, cough) since Loeb is the head honcho. It's still tragic that he IS in charge, but the damage seems to be mostly limited to animation for now.

• Options
    I imagine the amount of terrible Loeb can inflict is stymied by the Whedon family and the fact that this is a part of Marvel's most lucrative endeavor (the MCU).

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I think they let Loeb tap away on a typewriter, praise him for his good work, and then run everything he writes through a government grade paper shredder.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I imagine the amount of terrible Loeb can inflict is stymied by the Whedon family and the fact that this is a part of Marvel's most lucrative endeavor (the MCU).

What about the Netflix shows?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
  • Options

Are they letting Loeb work on those?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Are they letting Loeb work on those?

I assume they are.

• Options
    Here's hoping they get their own versions of Team Whedon to keep Loeb's idiocy at bay.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like the cast and line-up for Superman Vs Batman has grown yet again, with Cyborg apparently making an appearance in the movie alongside the titular characters and Wonder Women.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/25/ray-fisher-cast-as-cyborg-in-batman-vs-superman

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Geeze this is getting to DoFP levels of silliness

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoFP makes sense at least.
    It's a post apocolyptic future, so having lots of various mutants dying makes sense and shows what the past mutants are fighting for. Plus it's an excuse to get a bunch of cameos for fans of the comics and the earlier films.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Every single thing I hear about Superman vs Batman makes it sound so much worse.

I'd say HYDRA had infiltrated DC, but even they aren't this evil.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Geeze this is getting to DoFP levels of silliness

DoFP is the SEVENTH X-Men movie, it additionally combines "young" versions of the characters with the "present" day characters while ALSO adding a new future time period. It makes sense that it is flush with content and I tend to think it'll be handled pretty reasonably. Wolverine and the two Xaviers are the principal characters, everyone else is a supporting character (perhaps Magneto is a main as well, not sure how they're handling this).

BvS is the SECOND movie in this 'series'. It is apparently trying to:
    -Be a direct sequel to Man of Steel
    -(Probably) answer direct criticisms to MoS storyline/interpretation
    -Introduce the 4th cinematic Batman version (counting Adam West, but not counting actor changes during the 90s series of films)
    -Stealth pilot the Justice League concept
    -Stealth pilot any number of spin-off movies such as Wonder Woman, Flash, etc
    -Somehow be 'like' Dark Knight Returns despite changing nearly every aspect of the story
    -Not suck

Somehow, this seems incredibly more dangerous and difficult than DoFP to me.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah its basically a train wreck.

It's been discussed to death already, but basically DC wants the payoff Marvel's having, without the prior investment. They see how well the MCU is working, but aren't realizing why its working.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Why are they not just letting their tv versions of characters be their film versions? Like, if DC/WB are going to the trouble of producing Arrow and Flash, why not let those stand as Justice Leaguers?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Don't forget a new TV version of Batman, kind of.

And, yeah, DC is having success on TV, but a hit show on the fifth network doesn't really please shareholders the way multiple billion dollar grossing movies do.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    What I'm saying, is that they've got a Leaguer already established on tv. And they're launching another one. Those two should be the versions that shown up on the big screen. If they're going to try to put the Flash in Superman/Batman, they should just use the actor/character from tv. Sort of a reverse-Coulson. And the same for Green Arrow. The media cross pollination can go both ways, I think.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    What I'm saying, is that they've got a Leaguer already established on tv. And they're launching another one. Those two should be the versions that shown up on the big screen. If they're going to try to put the Flash in Superman/Batman, they should just use the actor/character from tv. Sort of a reverse-Coulson. And the same for Green Arrow. The media cross pollination can go both ways, I think.

That's dangerous, in that it ties the continuity of the show to the movie series, and I think I can safely assume that WB hasn't had any sort of over-arching plan or serious content-monitoring with these shows thusfar.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Arrow's Ollie would be weird as fuck in a Batman versus Superman movie, especially with the whole "Didn't mention the massive invasion of Earth by aliens" or "Remember when that major city was taken over by super criminals for like a year?"

It'd probably screw them both up so I expect it to be announced by DC in 3, 2, 1...

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Oy, now Cyborg is involved.

Yea, the more they announce for SvB, but more I worry that it'll be an X3 level train wreck.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Why are they not just letting their tv versions of characters be their film versions? Like, if DC/WB are going to the trouble of producing Arrow and Flash, why not let those stand as Justice Leaguers?

They can do both.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Oy, now Cyborg is involved.

Yea, the more they announce for SvB, but more I worry that it'll be an X3 level train wreck.

Having cameos will lower the risks, that's what I'm hoping for. Still, they're pushing Justice League to fast in the movie. Slow the fuck down, WB.

• Options
    On a side note, I'm super happy to see that Cyborg has become a top tier hero like he should have been all along. He deserves to be a Justice Leaguer and not babysitter for the Titans.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    On a side note, I'm super happy to see that Cyborg has become a top tier hero like he should have been all along. He deserves to be a Justice Leaguer and not babysitter for the Titans.

Cyborg is awesome in the Titans.

• Options
    Cyborg is awesome, but he should have been moved away from being 'the old guy mentor' on the Titans years ago. I'm just glad that it has finally happened.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm really curios as to what WB will do with Flash, mainly because unlike Green Arrow, the Flash is a huge part of JL and DC in general.

There's already going to be the Flash tv show, so will that carry over to the movies? Or will they cast someone differently entirely, which I think would just be confusing.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    DoFP makes sense at least.
    It's a post apocolyptic future, so having lots of various mutants dying makes sense and shows what the past mutants are fighting for. Plus it's an excuse to get a bunch of cameos to claim the rights to those characters for later movies.

fixed that for you

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

he always seemed like a throwaway character. is there anything interesting or compelling about cyborg besides that he's DC's black hero?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

he always seemed like a throwaway character. is there anything interesting or compelling about cyborg besides that he's DC's black hero?

He's a cyborg, what's cooler than that?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm really curios as to what WB will do with Flash, mainly because unlike Green Arrow, the Flash is a huge part of JL and DC in general.

There's already going to be the Flash tv show, so will that carry over to the movies? Or will they cast someone differently entirely, which I think would just be confusing.

the flash seems like an especially hard character to write to.

i mean, it's hard to write a challenge for superman, but on the other hand as long as they keep the powerset focused around "being really strong and tough and also can fly" it seems like you can still introduce threat and challenge without essentially exiting the human world (or introducing kryptonite)

it's harder to see how you can establish stakes on the flash, and it's hard to understand how to frame the action without it just being a series of "humans standing around like trees while the flash fixes everything".

seems like a really tough character to write

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

He's a cyborg, what's cooler than that?

a black cyborg

obv

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

He's got the "loss of humanity" thing with his metallic parts. That's probably the most interesting part of his character.

What else? There's his troubled relationship with his father (the one who saved his life by turning him into a cyborg without his permission). Other than that, the most interesting thing about him is his relationship with the Teen Titans.

So, kind of a blank slate. That can be good and bad when reinventing a character for the screen.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

the flash seems like an especially hard character to write to.

i mean, it's hard to write a challenge for superman, but on the other hand as long as they keep the powerset focused around "being really strong and tough and also can fly" it seems like you can still introduce threat and challenge without essentially exiting the human world (or introducing kryptonite)

it's harder to see how you can establish stakes on the flash, and it's hard to understand how to frame the action without it just being a series of "humans standing around like trees while the flash fixes everything".

seems like a really tough character to write

Luckily with Quicksilver in DofP/Age of Ultron WB should get an idea of what to do and not to do.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    If DC wants to create a movie featuring a minority character, Jaime Reyes' Blue Beetle would be my first choice. His personality (basically Peter Parker) would translate well. He's got the kind of origin that works well in isolation from the rest of the DC universe, plus it's tailor made for an origin movie (boy finds alien symbiote, bonds with it and finds out he's supposed to be the vanguard for an alien invasion).

• Options
    If DC wants to create a movie featuring a minority character, Jaime Reyes' Blue Beetle would be my first choice. His personality (basically Peter Parker) would translate well. He's got the kind of origin that works well in isolation from the rest of the DC universe, plus it's tailor made for an origin movie (boy finds alien symbiote, bonds with it and finds out he's supposed to be the vanguard for an alien invasion).

DC/WB has dropped the ball so hard with Jaime Reyes. He was supposed to be getting a live action tv show, which failed to go anywhere. :(

• Options

DC/WB has dropped the ball so hard with Jaime Reyes. He was supposed to be getting a live action tv show, which failed to go anywhere. :(

The new Blue Beetle was basically DC's answer to finally getting a Spider-Man type character in their universe, and it was a good one. Jaime is a fantastic character.

DC has just mishandled that opportunity so badly.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

The new Blue Beetle was basically DC's answer to finally getting a Spider-Man type character in their universe, and it was a good one. Jaime is a fantastic character.

DC has just mishandled that opportunity so badly.

Tim Drake was a satisfying DC Spider-man until Reyes.

This discussion has been closed.