As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume Advice Please!

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
I've been applying for Human Resources and Administrative Assistant positions for the past several months. Though I have a job now, it's in a rural area and requires a lot of overtime. I really want to move to a more urban area, but I haven't had any luck even getting an interview (I at least got a single callback, but nothing came of it).

I'm thinking my resume might be underwhelming. Anyone care to look it over? I've omitted my real name, the name of the college I went to, and the names of my employers.
SUMMARY
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, meticulous record keeper, ability to type at 80 words per minute, and strong writing skills. Seeking employment in a position that requires these skills.

EDUCATION
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology (Sept. 2008-May 2011)
- Graduated from X College with a 3.4 grade point average.
- Learned and utilized investigative skills, such as survey construction and participant observation, for the purpose of obtaining, quantifying, and interpreting the opinions of fellow students concerning given topics.
- Read, analyzed, and interpreted scholarly texts in essays that were very well received by instructors.

SKILLS
- Meticulous, organized record-keeper experienced.
- Typing speed of approximately 80 words per minute.
- Strong reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Experienced in formatting and word processing in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Power Point.
- Committed to discerning the most practical, efficient, and least time-intensive methods of resolving given tasks.
- Able to retain professional composure even when under considerable stress.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Graduated Cum Laude from X College
- Dean’s List – X College

EXPERIENCE
X, Materials Clerk
Jan 2013 – Present
Recorded removal and return of materials from warehouse. Used database system for the purpose of locating materials in the warehouse and performing data entry, such as materials transactions. Periodically assisted in the evaluation of inventory accuracy by operating both a forklift and a specialized component scale. Located on-site materials requested by plant production lines, procured the correct amount for each type of component, and transported them to where they were required by use of a stand-up fork lift.

X, Kanban Materials Handler
May 2012 – Jan 2013
Received component shipments from off-site warehouse. Loaded pallets of materials onto a trailer for delivery by the use of an electric forklift. Drove loaded trailer to production lines for delivery of components as dictated by the kanban inventory control system. Collected kanban cards for return to off-site warehouse. Periodically assisted in the evaluation of inventory accuracy by operating both a forklift and a specialized component scale.

X, Materials Clerk
November 2011 – May 2012
Recorded received materials by submitting completed move tickets to the office for data entry. Quantified the number of materials in each shipment through use of a specialized scale. Located on-site materials requested by plant production lines, procured the correct amount for each type of component, and placed them in the designated staging area by department for transportation. Recorded removal of material shipments from warehouse in both a shipping manifest and by submitting completed move tickets to the office for data entry. Periodically assisted in the evaluation of inventory accuracy by operating both a forklift and a specialized component scale.

X, Safety Technician
August 2011 – November 2011
Taught new safety department hires what duties were expected of them and how best to perform those duties with the tools available. Aided efficiency coordinators in inventory location and placement time management efforts by suggesting alternative methods of product marking and storage. Learned standardized work principles aimed at minimizing wasted effort and increasing productivity. Used painting supplies to visually denote areas where caution should be exercised.

X College, Student Worker
October 2010 – May 2011
Aided in construction efforts by transporting building supplies, removing walls, and applying paints to damaged surfaces. Performed landscape detail, weed removal, and leaf collection. Carried-out general housekeeping and repair duties, including the removal, cleaning, and replacement of window blinds, the replacement of electrical outlet covers, and the cleaning of dirtied tables and other surfaces.

X, Sales Representative
October 2009 – May 2010
Interpreted customer requests to identify the best method to fulfill their needs. Recorded customer contact and billing information in a specialized database. Provided customer service support in response to caller inquires. Aided unsatisfied customers by identifying how to resolve issues to their satisfaction. Forwarded information to immediate supervisor and other superiors when required.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If it were me, I'd put your education at the end, remove all the details that go with it. 3.4 GPA is underwhelming and the rest of that kind of goes with being a college graduate.

As for everything else, you want to curtail your resume to the job. So, all your skills need to be exactly what they're looking for. Fluff it. The typing and familiarity with MS Office is pretty much a given, well, I'd hope you could at least figure it out anyways.

For instance, if I was applying for a programming position, I'd list all the programming languages I know, and secondary skills that go with it. If I was applying for system administrator, I'd list all the operating systems I'm familiar with, maybe command line environments and so on.

The job specific stuff, I'm wondering if you can't beef it up a bit. Don't do sentences, do bullet points of specific things you've done that you've been recognized in. Did you bring in 100,000$ in sales? Did you devise a system to improve safety? List it. The most mundane thing in your mind probably is an awesome thing to them. You also want to try and curtail your job duties at previous jobs to really look like the new job you're applying too. Don't outright lie, I'll disagree with most people when they say to do that. But you'll definitely want to fluff up what you did and make it seem far more important than what it actually was. Also if you can talk money, talk money. They like that. They really like that.

My biggest concern with your employment history is that you don't stay in a job for more than a year or so, and sometimes far less than that. Is there a reason for this? Can you explain it when questioned on it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    At most, with education, I'd maybe include graduated Cum Laude because that doesn't outright spell anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Is this your actual resume? Because I think it needs a lot of work, and I'm not an expert by any means.

Like Bowen already said, use bullet points, not paragraphs. Keep in mind that the folks in charge read TONS of resume a day. They want to be able to just glance at it and get a good gist of the potential employee. Right now, this layout forces them to stop to read. Plus at a glance, it doesn't really look like you have a lot of experience, so making bullet points will help on that. Also, take out the college student section.

Your Skill sections needs to have more specific, actual things. Everyone can put down they're organized and composed- You need to put in any familiarity with software(other than the standard Microsoft Office everyone puts in), if you're bilingual, etc. The stuff you currently have in should be brought up in an interview when they asked what are your strengths/weaknesses.

You don't need a summary. You need an objective. Something like 'To join this company and become an exemplary worker while moving up the chain'. But you know, good.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    "Meticulous, organized record-keeper experienced."
    This is gibberish and even cleaned up, it is not something you should have under "skills". Use a modified version as a bullet point under one of your jobs. Maybe something like this:

Materials Clerk
    -maintained accurate records of materials received and used for each project.

Also, your education section should read thusly:

EDUCATION
    Bachelor of Arts in Sociology (Sept. 2008-May 2011)
    - Graduated from X College with a 3.4 grade point average.
    - Learned and utilized investigative skills, such as survey construction and participant observation, for the purpose of obtaining, quantifying, and interpreting the opinions of fellow students concerning given topics.
    - Read, analyzed, and interpreted scholarly texts in essays that were very well received by instructors.

Maybe incorporate the GPA, maybe not, but absolutely remove those bullets. You're wasting the reader's time. If they give half a fuck about your major, they already know what a soc degree entails.

Strong reading comprehension and writing skills.
    Said every applicant ever. Ditch it.

- Experienced in formatting and word processing in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Power Point.
    What else would you use microsoft word for? You have a college degree. Of course you know Word, bro. :)

I just checked my resume, this is my word for word bullet for MS Proficiencies:

Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Visio

Maybe add Outlook? A lot of companies inexplicably use that.

- Committed to discerning the most practical, efficient, and least time-intensive methods of resolving given tasks.
    - Able to retain professional composure even when under considerable stress.

delete

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You can totally say you know bleeding obvious technologies like Microsoft Word because resume scanning robots look for this sort of thing.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also a lot of people inexplicably don't know how to use MS office beyond the most basic word processing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    also a lot of people inexplicably don't know how to use MS office beyond the most basic word processing

They still put it on their resumes as if they were experts though.

• Options
    You can totally say you know bleeding obvious technologies like Microsoft Word because resume scanning robots look for this sort of thing.

You put those kinds of things on jobs when you're looking for secretarial work.

If you're an inventory manager, it's almost a given that you should know how to use excel. Though I'd specifically include something like "Proficient in MS Excel" as a skill in that case, but only excel, because it's the applicable one. Generic resumes often get generic replies, or are ignored. You need to stand out from a dozen, hundreds, or even thousands of others.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Good point. I hadn't considered that. However, I would still leave off the description.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    The job specific stuff, I'm wondering if you can't beef it up a bit. Don't do sentences, do bullet points of specific things you've done that you've been recognized in. Did you bring in 100,000$ in sales? Did you devise a system to improve safety? List it. The most mundane thing in your mind probably is an awesome thing to them. You also want to try and curtail your job duties at previous jobs to really look like the new job you're applying too. Don't outright lie, I'll disagree with most people when they say to do that. But you'll definitely want to fluff up what you did and make it seem far more important than what it actually was. Also if you can talk money, talk money. They like that. They really like that.

This was a group effort and not entirely thanks to me, but while I've been working in my current position inventory accuracy has increased dramatically (from 73% to 97%).
    My biggest concern with your employment history is that you don't stay in a job for more than a year or so, and sometimes far less than that. Is there a reason for this? Can you explain it when questioned on it?

The four most recent positions have all been with the same company. Each time I was asked by my then-current supervisor if I would rather transfer to a new position.

BTW, when I say "materials clerk", though I really do spend a lot of time verifying inventory accuracy, I'm trying to cover for the fact that 60% of my time at work involves moving containers from point A to point B.

• Options
    This was a group effort and not entirely thanks to me, but while I've been working in my current position inventory accuracy has increased dramatically (from 73% to 97%).

Increased inventory accuracy from 73% to 97%

#resumedthatforyou

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

The four most recent positions have all been with the same company. Each time I was asked by my then-current supervisor if I would rather transfer to a new position.

BTW, when I say "materials clerk", though I really do spend a lot of time verifying inventory accuracy, I'm trying to cover for the fact that 60% of my time at work involves moving containers from point A to point B.

Ah! Good answers. You might want to rework your resume to show that you stayed at the current place of employment and show that you shifted positions each of those years. List X once as a heading (with your total years at the company, 2009-Present, then do each position underneath it. That's a pretty unique resume.

Think of everything you can to make it a numbers game.

bowen on
  • Options

I'd condense them to Safety Technition and Materials Clerk and set Materials Clerk from 11/11 - Present.
    It paints a clearer picture of a steady work history.

• Options
    List X once as a heading (with your total years at the company, 2009-Present, then do each position underneath it. That's a pretty unique resume.

Good idea. I'll try that.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My rule of thumb for resumes is on the more impressive accomplishments, even if you were only a part of the larger puzzle, or did it once. It was your responsibility.

I did the FF&E, and some of the punch work for a new building my agency had another agency build.

On my resume it shows as
    Project manager and technical advisor for design/build 88 million dollar continuing care facility.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »

#resumedthatforyou

What if they ask me about this in an interview? How will I answer in a way that doesn't make me seem dishonest?

I'm also in the process of converting my paragraphs into bulleted points. How's this look, for example?

"Recorded removal and return of materials from warehouse." -> "Asset tracking."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

#resumedthatforyou

What if they ask me about this in an interview? How will I answer in a way that doesn't make me seem dishonest?

Taking credit for stuff teams do that you are a part of is an honest and legitimate practice. If they push and ask you what your contributions were, then you explain what you did, how many people helped, and how even though despite the challenges presented to you and your team, with good teamwork and coordination you were able to achieve not only your stated goal but improve dramatically beyond it.

• Options
    Should I include my personal and professional references on my resume? My cover letter?

• Options
    Generally to save space I've put 'references available upon request' on the resume itself and have them in a completely separate page.

• Options
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Generally to save space I've put 'references available upon request' on the resume itself and have them in a completely separate page.
    That's an outdated practice leave it off. The interviewer knows that you will give them references if they request. Keep a separate sheet of references though.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Okay, I've revised my resume. Does this look better?
    Name
    Address
    Phone

Skills
    • Office suite software operation.
    • Database management system operation.
    • Text input (80 wpm).
    • Data entry.
    • Research.
    • Communication.

Education
    X College – Bachelor of Arts (Sociology)
    May 2011

Employment History
    X Automotive - Materials Clerk
    Nov 2011 – Present
    • Asset tracking.
    • Database management system operation.
    • Implementation of lean production practices.
    • Powered industrial truck operation.

X Automotive - Safety Technician
    Aug 2011 – Nov 2011
    • Supervision.
    • OSHA-compliant marking of equipment.

X College - Student Worker
    Oct 2010 – May 2011
    • Interior renovation.
    • Landscaping.

X America - Sales Representative
    Oct 2009 – May 2010
    • Sales.
    • Customer service.
    • Data entry.[
    /spoiler]

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I personally would change the order. Either education, employment history, skills or employment, education skills.

I also wish you had some more specific information you could throw in their.

Like at x automotive.

Change supervision to supervised y amount of people.
    change asset tracking to tracked z dollars in assets
    implemented lean production practices and add resulting in x savings.

I might just use forklift operator. I'm actually not sure on that though.

• Options
    I agree with a lot of what Zepherin just said.

Right now, your resume looks really sparse. Remember, you're trying to sell yourself AND tell someone that might not be familiar with your pasts positions about your duties.

'Supervision' can mean a lot of things. Say things like 'Managed x amount people', 'ensured time cards were done within time set' 'kept x metrics', etc. Same with sales and customer service. What type of sales were there? Outbound, inbound, face to face, cold calls?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    @mully is a professional resume make-gooderer, perhaps fire a commission her way?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah drop the periods too. Put a bit more information if you can, guesstimate. Like zeph said, move education to the very bottom, you want to sell your skills, not your degree.
    • Sure you were sales, but how much in sales did you do overall? ("Sales with nearly $200,000 in net profit")
    • Were you recognized for stellar customer service? No? But did anyone ever complain? Well that's pretty much recognition for stellar performance. ("Customer Service recognized for accuracy, speed, and customer retention")
    • Data Entry, what did this entail? Try to expand it. ("Data entry of entire catalog to paperless system")

• Supervisor, how many people did you supervise? ("Supervisor, oversaw team of 15 people doing XYZ")
    • OSHA, were you in charge of implementing safety training and guidelines too? ("In charge of OSHA compliance and training")

• Asset tracking, Maybe put "Fixed asset management". This is where you want to include numbers too. Reduce asset loss from 73% to 97% is a huge thing! Like big deal. ("Fixed asset management, reducing inventory loss from 27% to 3%")
    • Database management is good, get more specific. ("Maintained and supported database software for equipment and inventory")
    • I like that lean practices, but is there a specific term for it? Googleing it reveals that it's supposed to be reducing loss and wasteful spending to reduce customer costs. I'd probably put that instead. ("Implemented lean production procedures, reducing wasteful spending to reduce costs") <= put a number, guess if you have to, on just how much you reduced, use a percentage at the worst
    • Truck operation - what does this mean? What did you do with them?

Change this:
    Skills
    Office suite software operation.
    Database management system operation.
    Text input (80 wpm).
    Data entry.
    Research.
    Communication.

To this:
    Skills
    Competent management in a fast-paced environment
    Strong skills in organizing workflow, materials, and people
    Able to build rapport with coworkers
    Talented in problem solving and providing quality work
    Expert knowledge with computer software packages
    Responsible and dedicated; taking pride in work

Rejigger that skills a bit maybe, but those are definitely skills you have listed below. Research and Communication are obviously still included there, but boy does it look a lot more "Wow!", at least to me. See you don't even have to lie to make yourself sound amazing, you just have to recognize "wow I actually did a lot of stuff, I'm pretty good!"

Also you'll want to have that attitude when you go into an interview. You may not think it (the way you list your skills seems like you don't think you have any), but trust me, you are a pretty skilled person.

bowen on
  • Options
    Seconding everything @Bowen said except for the skills section.
    Your revised version is a little too minimalist, but his is flufftacular bullshit. (<3 u browen)

Both also ignore CB's Resume SEO lifehack protip.

Use the skills section to list your actual proficiencies. Make shit as specific as possible. "Research" could mean anything from you spent time in the lab assisting Professor Von Materio to you're really aces at googling stuff.

You don't have to pad it and definitely do not repeat anything you have in your employment section verbatim.
    It doesn't have to be a minimum number of bullets.
    Proficiencies
    * MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
    * (The name of up to five pieces of software you use, especially the database one. It doesn't matter if they've never heard of it.)
    * Typing (80 wpm)

Use your employment section to list out your victories, accomplishments, and duties in bullet point form.

• Options
    Hah yeah it is a bit flufftacular, but it's pretty spot on with what he's done. But you definitely want to curtail it based on the job you're applying for.

• Options
    And as a side note. For cover letters. I've found I get far more replies when I have a minimalist cover letter. I've looked at templates sent targeted cover letters, summary cover letters, Over the last 10 years I've probably sent out 400 resumes with cover letters. I get a lot of responses from a real minimal cover letter. Here is my resume for x job, hire me I'm awesome, contact info. It may be field specific though so I'm not sure if it would apply to you.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Like zeph said, move education to the very bottom, you want to sell your skills, not your degree.

It was my understanding that resume reviewers use whether or not an applicant has a degree as a way to more quickly sort through resumes. That's why I'm hesitant to move my education category lower down; I'm afraid that a reviewer might not see it.

But hey, It's not like having it near the top has gotten me a job, so I might as well try it you guys' way.
    bowen wrote:
    Sure you were sales, but how much in sales did you do overall? ("Sales with nearly $200,000 in net profit")

The extent of my sales work was answering incoming calls for client companies. I basically just facilitated transactions. I've got no idea how much money I specifically brought in.
    bowen wrote:
    Data Entry, what did this entail? Try to expand it. ("Data entry of entire catalog to paperless system")

At my current position, data entry primarily means "wrote a part number, quantity, and location on a ticket for someone else to input digitally". A former supervisor wanted everyone on my shift to be cross-trained, but he was fired and I only got to key tickets into the inventory database myself one time (the software currently used is horribly outdated, BTW; the company that made it went out of business in 1989). I do know how to look up materials locations, though.

Expansion attempt: "Data entry of materials transactions utilizing asset tracking software."
    bowen wrote:
    OSHA, were you in charge of implementing safety training and guidelines too? ("In charge of OSHA compliance and training")

No. All I did was paint electrical boxes orange and safety guarding yellow.
    bowen wrote:
    Truck operation - what does this mean? What did you do with them?

PIT = forklift. Saying I'm a "materials clerk" is me trying to make being a forklift operator seem more impressive than it is.

• Options
    Maybe it's not coming out correctly through your resume and what you're telling us, but it feels to me like the reason you aren't getting any callbacks for HR/Admin jobs is because you're skillsets don't really match that position.

Like I'm not really sure Forklift is relevant to your current job search. If you're applying to small companies or warehouses where you might be needed to help out in other duties, sure. But in an urban, straight out office job, that seems weird to include.

• Options
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Maybe it's not coming out correctly through your resume and what you're telling us, but it feels to me like the reason you aren't getting any callbacks for HR/Admin jobs is because you're skillsets don't really match that position.

Like I'm not really sure Forklift is relevant to your current job search. If you're applying to small companies or warehouses where you might be needed to help out in other duties, sure. But in an urban, straight out office job, that seems weird to include.

So basically I need to list everything I do in my current job with the omission of forklift operation? I can do that.

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    Mostly agreed with the above. To the extent possible, remember: "show, don't tell."

Anything quantifiable "shows." This is why @bowen's advice (and others) about quantifiable bullets are valuable: "Managed X people; tracked $Y in assets, increased frobulation from Q% to P% in 6 months" are resume gold.

You have to lead with either education or experience; skills go at the bottom. For education, put your degree and your awards; don't put your GPA and you'll be fine.

I will dispute a little about the 'skills' section. I am always very skeptical about anything in a 'skills' section, because it is often the ultimate violator of the "show, don't tell" rule. If it's something specific and theoretically verifiable (like you can type 80wpm, or you can do tenkey by touch, or you know Python) then go ahead and list it. When I see "great communicator" or "detail-oriented" or "research abilities" or "team player" or "writing skills" in a "skills" section I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Everybody thinks they have these skills, or at least has the chutzpah to lie about them. You're a great writer? Awesome, well I should see that in all the writing responsibilities you had in your past jobs, plus the writing award you were nominated for in college. You're a great team player? Don't worry, I will figure that out from all the teams you participated on with successful, high-pressure projects in your previous employment. You have leadership skills? Well, I kind of inferred that when I saw that you led three 6-person teams on big-dollar company investments in your last job.

Everybody lists the Office tools in there, and I guess you have to. Are you someone that knows how to use Office, or someone that Knows How To Use Office? Because there's people who have written a 10 page single-column essay in Word, and people who have typeset an 800-page textbook in Word. There are people who know how to use @SUM in Excel, and people who build PivotTables on the fly in meetings and write macros without looking stuff up. If you are the former type of person, just put (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). If you are the latter type of person, I'd elaborate a little bit on your experience (or make sure it shows up in the experience section).

The "minimalist" version is a good start. Move the skills section to the end and definitely expand your bullets in the experience section with some more detail as people above have suggested - especially quantitative detail where you can.

I have minimal counsel on what to do about having been a forklift driver. For some reason, I've seen that on a lot of resumes for positions that had nothing to do with forklifts; it always makes me smile a little bit. I actually think that's a small plus, because I read that as "was considered responsible enough to use heavy machinery and did not kill or maim anyone in the process."

Good luck.

• Options
    Yeah the forklift is a sticky situation. The reason most of us suggest throwing education to the bottom is that's where it's generally expected to be. New people in the workplace who have no experience obviously don't use that method.

I'd probably just include certification for forklift operation or something under that job.

• Options
    msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The education thing is dependent on your level of experience and the position. For positions where simply having a degree would be a differentiator, education at the top is fine. Similarly, if you are fresh out of college and your work experience isn't necessarily 100% relevant, it's fine to put education first. For jobs where every viable applicant will have a degree, or when years of specifically relevant of experience will far outshine your random degree from xyz college, you will naturally move education to the bottom.

You are sort of in between, so I would structure it based on the jobs you are applying for (and don't hesitate to send different versions of your resume in for different jobs) - the closer you can make your experience line up with the job requirements, the more I would lean toward education at the bottom.

msuroo on
  • Options
    How's this for a cover letter?

Name
    Contact Info

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is XXX. I am a graduate of XXX College and am currently seeking employment in the field of human resources.

My prior professional accomplishments include Improving inventory accuracy at XXX Automotive from 76% to 93% and maintaining a consistent record of high sales and low talk-time at XXX America. In both of these instances I earned positive results by successfully utilizing all available resources and maintaining goal-focused communication with other parties to learn how their needs could be most effectively met with the least amount of wasted time and effort on my part.

I would like to thank you for reviewing my employment application and taking the time to read this letter. I am grateful for the opportunity to be considered for this position.

Sincerely,

XXX

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    am currently seeking employment in the field of human resources.

My prior professional accomplishments include Improving inventory accuracy at XXX Automotive from 76% to 93%

Dump the actual stats from the cover letter because it makes the transition between these two sentences really odd. You can back it down to something more like "revising and modifying inventory practices at XXX Automotive to drastically improve department performance".

The cover letter is where you talk like a person, the resume is where you dump your statistics.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I am writing to you in response to you in regards to position YYY. My X years of experience as well as my Bachelors in Underwater Basket weaving should make me an ideal candidate for this opening.

I have attached my resume and would welcome a chance to speak to you.

Respectfully,

XXX
    phone number
    email address
    Yours looks totally canned. I would do this if I were you. Thanking them is an empty gesture and if you don't know the persons name don't put to whom it may concern, if you don't know their name leave it off. Don't use Sincerely, you see 150 of those and your eyes start to bleed.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Personally, I just hate cover letters. I've never ever used one.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    But you have to put something when you email your resume, I mean you could put eat this resume suckers, but I probably wouldn't, unless I had something really impressive.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    But you have to put something when you email your resume

I don't know what this means really. I always just attach it as a .docx and send. I land jobs. I dunno, I personally think cover letters are pure, substance-less fluff. But i mean, I know lots of people do use them.