As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DotA 2]You have triggered a hidden mine!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    While I did suffer more than most from this reddit banpocalypse against every major content creator in the community, I still think it's hilarious.

The site I wrote for was, I believe, the first to get banned--while I was publishing, no less--and they're working their way through everyone else. Apparently cyborgmatt is going down, and LD has been getting warnings. Fun times.

Wait what? Is this in /r/dota2 or something? They are banning people who post content? Wtf is /r/dota2 for? The immature "discussions" the Dota 2 community creates?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It's a good question.

It seems like everyone has been shooting themselves in the feet over this entire situation. Reddit doesn't want content producers to directly link to their own content (or even mention it, as LD got warnings and he doesn't link to any sites, he just posts formatted tournament schedules and such directly into reddit), and sites have become too dependent on reddit for traffic. The readers are in the middle, making things worse, since they don't bookmark content sites, but instead depend on reddit links (and, anecdotally, people who visit a site through a reddit link do not then look around that site for other articles). It's a lose-lose-lose situation as long as reddit is keen to enforce their 9:1 posting policy.

From what I've seen, 2p (and mali), ongamers (and cyborgmatt), at least 1 dotacinema staff member, and a few others, have been hit with site-wide url bans or user-specific shadow bans for linking to their own content.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    As I posted in the thread about it in /r/dota2, I guess it just saves me a site check daily. I only ever went to /r/dota2 for that content. I certainly wasn't going for the stupid drawing that are rarely funny, the inside jokes from ten years ago, the dumb memes or the flame wars. I mostly went for tournament news/schedules, links to articles and links to VoDs.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sounds like an opportunity for one of the dota2 fansites to step up

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Doesn't teamliquid provide all those things?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It's weird for me, because I only recently started using reddit at all, and I pretty much assumed that the entire point of it was to spam links, since that's all there is, besides fanart and lame memes (which are usually also links). I would never think of going to gg.net, tl.net, or even playdota to post a link, because those are actual discussion forums, not just link repositories.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Without the content, the Dota 2 subreddit is just going to be memes and drama posts. Gives me even less reason to go there, I guess.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    There was a point where they had a Hero & item of the day discussion that I thought was pretty informative as a new player. That has gone the way of the dodo bird though.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

I mean, a fansite could step up and provide the exact same thing... but they're unlikely to get Reddit clickthroughs without posting their content themselves, and Reddit doesn't like when you post your content yourself and basically use reddit as a pseudo front-page for your content.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    What I want to know:

why does DOTA load within 30 seconds normally,

but after a crash it takes six minutes to load?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    There was a point where they had a Hero & item of the day discussion that I thought was pretty informative as a new player. That has gone the way of the dodo bird though.

Those were excellent, I always read through them before trying a new hero.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular

It's like PlayDota doesn't exist or something.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    What I want to know:

why does DOTA load within 30 seconds normally,

but after a crash it takes six minutes to load?

If you mean for matches: As long as DotA is still up assets stay loaded when used (to some extent). So your first match of any session will take longer to load.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

That's basically what's going to happen. It just needs to be easy to use and have a clean interface; CyborgMatt was already playing around with the idea in his tweets. Regardless the Dota 2 sub gets less informative by the day and the posts more attention-whoreish by the hour.

Also if a guy on your team DC's I have no problem pausing. But if someone un-pauses and you call us a bunch of "ni__ers" in all chat..... then no man, fuck you, i'm done pausing for your DC. I will never understand what it is with gamers and casual racism.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Today I started to play Puck.

I think I'm in love.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I started playing Puck too. I fucking love the hero, but I'm never going to raise my MMR past the point where people don't buy couriers if I play her, because she can't carry a team.

The way I see it - bad pubs do three things consistently

1) They don't finish games
    2) They don't gank well very often
    3) They don't lane very well

So if I can lane well, play safe, and just stay alive with a hero like Outworld Devourer, or another semicarry who can scale well, I should be able to do very well. And even staying alive is optional within reason.

And it worked! In this game, the Ursa very quickly went up to 6-0 before 10 minutes, feeding on my Nyx and Earthshaker teammates. Mirana and Pudge pulled off two ganks on me in mid, one of which was first blood. And the PL got some decent farm going too. But stay calm, farm up, follow teammates when I can, and we did okay!

vyvb1Zi.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    /r/dota2 is kind of like parts of 4chan in that sometimes there's some hysterical joke posts if you can be bothered to sift through all the shit.

By "sift" I mean "wade in up to your knees and splash around" - it's mostly a place to kill time at work for me.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Also if a guy on your team DC's I have no problem pausing. But if someone un-pauses and you call us a bunch of "ni__ers" in all chat..... then no man, fuck you, i'm done pausing for your DC. I will never understand what it is with gamers and casual racism.

That shit is an auto-report from me, regardless of team.

I had one game recently where they wanted to wait for like fifteen minutes for someone on their team, but when one of ours DCd for 30s they immediately unpaused.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Shazwin wrote: »
    OPEN MOUTH FACE GUY! I WANNA PARTY WITH YOU!

Honest question to those who chunk out money for this game: Why do fuzzy pink hats matter to you?

That would involve a long discussion involving the very concept of "clothing" and "fashion", which is rather complicated.

So, here's a question. Why is Orchid considered to utterly core on Clinkz? What's so great about the silence for him as opposed to every other hero?

just an aside, since for some reason no one mentioned it: the timing on your orchid is very very important. It's gotta be real, real fast or you miss your window. Like. 12-13 min iirc is about right (someone who has played dota recently please correct me on that timing).If you can't get a lane where you can get a fast orchid, or you don't have the mechanics to farm one in a winnable lane, clinx will not be for you.

• Options
    @Dhalphir‌: Are you at the new place and actually playing Dotes now?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

That shit is an auto-report from me, regardless of team.

I had one game recently where they wanted to wait for like fifteen minutes for someone on their team, but when one of ours DCd for 30s they immediately unpaused.

Same. It's pretty simple, don't use the N word or other racial slurs in chat.

@Dhalphir, yeah you're list is pretty spot on, and that game summary demonstrates it well. You guys finished it by 30, though it probably wouldn't have mattered, as 4 people on that team are sub 300 gpm and the PL decided to split up his item purchases instead of finishing a heart. If he got the heart out...might have made things different, though ES being on your team makes his rax pushes risky.

• Options
    valiance wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Shazwin wrote: »
    OPEN MOUTH FACE GUY! I WANNA PARTY WITH YOU!

Honest question to those who chunk out money for this game: Why do fuzzy pink hats matter to you?

That would involve a long discussion involving the very concept of "clothing" and "fashion", which is rather complicated.

So, here's a question. Why is Orchid considered to utterly core on Clinkz? What's so great about the silence for him as opposed to every other hero?

just an aside, since for some reason no one mentioned it: the timing on your orchid is very very important. It's gotta be real, real fast or you miss your window. Like. 12-13 min iirc is about right (someone who has played dota recently please correct me on that timing).If you can't get a lane where you can get a fast orchid, or you don't have the mechanics to farm one in a winnable lane, clinx will not be for you.

That being said, you can still build clinkz as a crazy pusher even if you get a late orchid. Strafe will melt towers if the other team ignores you.

• Options
    Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I know talking AD drafts is kinda played out so i apologize, but the Dota Gods smiled upon me last weekend. For reasons I don't comprehend the opposing team let me draft jinada, enchant totem, and sven's ult. As a ranged hero. Yes they stack. Yes some of them are multiplicative, not additive. For those keeping track at home that amounted to about a 1500% damage multiplier on a single attack, i've never had so much fun in a game of dota.

Thunderous_T on
    Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    @Dhalphir‌: Are you at the new place and actually playing Dotes now?

Yuuuuuuuuuuup

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I haven't played in ages. Just a ton of work, and I've been really busy.

First game back tonight, and it was god awful. We won, but it was 70+ minutes of pure shit. I picked Lich because he's my best character and I wanted to play a character I was familiar with for my first game back. Our team is me, an Omni (who insisted on going top with me, even though I'd already given him one of my wards and told him to go bottom), a Clockwerk (who starting telling us how the enemy team couldn't be beaten after the first team fight, and basically gave up until the very end), a Zeus (who didn't speak, but wrote his Spanish IN ALL FUCKING CAPS ALL GODDAMNED GAME), and a Doom (who had his mic open while he was at a fucking rave or house party or some shit -- seriously, the music was thumping and I could hear some Russian MC working a crowd in the background, plus a lot of people randomly talking).

Could not get anyone to group up. Could not get anyone to communicate their plays. Could not get anyone to do fucking anything except run around like headless chickens. I tried to attach myself to Doom, but it actually seemed like he was trying to get me killed most of the time. And the enemy team had a Silencer with a goddamned Refresher Orb (first time I've ever encountered that, and ho boy is it ever bullshit).

But anyway, we won. Wiped their whole team except for the Wind Ranger there at the end, and had to base race against her. Our Ancient was at about 25% when we finished off theirs.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    so this one worked out pretty well

my "Play OD, collect wins" strategy is pretty good so far!

1aiLgs0.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    OD is pretty great at that, he dominates most other mid heros. And once you get a bit of level lead you just start to pump out insane damage.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Doesn't hurt that Dhal hasn't played seriously in a while and the game has his MMR at "shit tier", while he's clearly better than everyone he's playing against. Look at this GPM numbers versus everyone else, hehe.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Doesn't hurt that Dhal hasn't played seriously in a while and the game has his MMR at "shit tier", while he's clearly better than everyone he's playing against. Look at this GPM numbers versus everyone else, hehe.

Ya I noticed that, but I guess a lot of that came from all those kills you get when your twice the enemies level.

Plus the weird builds on some of the heroes. Vanguard on Ember, Bounty working towards a Battlefury (is this still insanely listed as a recommended item by valve base build?)

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I'm enjoying Lich a lot.

Question: is it worth getting Refresher Orb on Lich?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Lich a lot.

Question: is it worth getting Refresher Orb on Lich?

I would probably never build a Refresher on Lich, to be honest. Even if my farm were incredible. The cooldown on Chain Frost is only 60 seconds at level 3, so its easily available for every team fight. If you've got money to burn, grab a Scepter in addition to all of your core items (mek, drums, etc). If you need to purchase something else, I'd go Scythe or Shiva's.

• Options
    thanks @Sceptre and co for a great match, that's my first full premade game of Dota ever.

• Options
    It's really the only way to play... solo queue will drive you mad before long.

• Options
    Did a small dota marathon last night to blow off some steam. 4 Games, 4 games with angry Spanish speaking teammates that were playing some alternative dimension Dota where you can win without your team.

• Options
    Buster BladeBuster Blade Katy, TxRegistered User regular
    Yeah I would have played with tall but I was already in a party with page, mantrap, and minty vision. Every game had an invoker against us and he wrecked us everytime. I can't ever get a good invoker on my team.

Steam: Buster Blade
    Xbox: CDN_Buster
    3DS: 4957-3435-6477
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I played a game as phantom lancer last night. Man he is such a bullshit hero. I think I ended up like 14-3-20 or something.

• Options
    I played a game as phantom lancer last night. Man he is such a bullshit hero. I think I ended up like 14-3-20 or something.

You just have to keep farming. Every PL in my team ends up wanting to man fight the other team @ the 15 minute mark.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

You just have to keep farming. Every PL in my team ends up wanting to man fight the other team @ the 15 minute mark.

When he can really show up to teamfights and make people sad is when you have level 2 diffusal, treads, and one of the HP granting items from your Heart. It's a surprisingly huge difference.

But yes, farm farm farm with him. I've had lots of PLs that make the mistake of fighting too early or (even worse) going diffusal-->manta. Diffusal-->heart is so strong because the diffusal buffs the crap out of your illusions' attacks and the heart makes them much tankier.

• Options
    My descent through Solo MMR hell continues. I've reached the point where no one buys courier... no one TPS... if I wanted to play without a team I would just play starcraft.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »
    My descent through Solo MMR hell continues. I've reached the point where no one buys courier... no one TPS... if I wanted to play without a team I would just play starcraft.

What's your ranking, out if interest?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
This discussion has been closed.