As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm sure we'll get more information very soon, since they're doing 2 panels this weekend.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Sam Stoddard said that his preview next week costs XXBBBB. That's... an unusual casting cost for this set's theme. Bets on a cycle?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Am I alone in not really seeing the influence of the enemy color in each clan?

Abzan are all about family and toughness... and somehow the selfish tendencies of black fit in there too?
    Jeskai are a group of enlightened martial artists... because when I think "enlightened discipline," I think red mana?
    Sultai are greedy and ruthless deceivers... and we all know how green mages love deception?
    Mardu act first, think maybe, and generally ransack whatever they can... just like every white-aligned strategy ever?
    Temur are proponents of savage independence... plus whatever blue mana contributes?

They just feel like Selesnya, Azorius (maybe closer to Esper), Dimir, Rakdos, and Gruul to me. I hope that changes as we get more information, but right now this isn't working as well flavor-wise as Alara did.

That's because each clan is not defined by one color and its two enemies. It's defined by one color, its ally, and one of its enemies. So Jeskai is blue, plus white and red. Temur is green, plus red and blue.

EDIT: Whoops, misread you. Jeskai maybe the red is from the independence of the different sects from each other? Temur might use blue for the aspect of improvement through knowledge, though it might also show through in their clan ability when we see it. But you're right and I hope that they go more in depth soon, like Maro's articles dedicated to each guild back from OG Ravnica block.

Terrendos on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I think a big reason that they've resisted a wedge-based theme for so long is because they don't easily align with MaRo's color philosophies on a conceptual level, though the mechanic theme of each clan feels appropriate.

As Terrendos says, we can observe that the rewritten mana costs let us know that they chose to express the wedges as Primary/Ally/Enemy rather than Primary/Enemy/Enemy, which highlights that pursuing an Enemy Wedge concept may have been even more fractured or indistinct with regards to expressing color philosophies.

en_y11uj54lgh.png

Also here's the Khans art for Zurgo

Terrendos wrote: »

Abzan are all about family and toughness... and somehow the selfish tendencies of black fit in there too?
    Jeskai are a group of enlightened martial artists... because when I think "enlightened discipline," I think red mana?
    Sultai are greedy and ruthless deceivers... and we all know how green mages love deception?
    Mardu act first, think maybe, and generally ransack whatever they can... just like every white-aligned strategy ever?
    Temur are proponents of savage independence... plus whatever blue mana contributes?

They just feel like Selesnya, Azorius (maybe closer to Esper), Dimir, Rakdos, and Gruul to me. I hope that changes as we get more information, but right now this isn't working as well flavor-wise as Alara did.

That's because each clan is not defined by one color and its two enemies. It's defined by one color, its ally, and one of its enemies. So Jeskai is blue, plus white and red. Temur is green, plus red and blue.

Yes, but the allied color fits. If you shifted the colors around but kept the same philosophy (e.g., Temur but GWB or Jeskai but UBG) they wouldn't make any sense at all.

What I'm saying is that the enemy color has no influence on the clan's philosophy as currently presented, and is in fact pretty much opposed to it in general principles. So far all I'm seeing an influence on is their respective palettes.

To be fair, this is something they've pretty much never had to do outside of Treefolk in Lorwyn; there have literally been only eleven wedge-colored cards printed in booster packs (so not Commander or Planechase) to date. Identifying the shards as the idealized worlds of each central color (with the utter lack of their enemies influence) made Alara work and helped make the names stick, plus the other two colors almost always felt like they had elements that belonged in that shard.

I'm not seeing that with the Clans. Not yet. I have faith that they'll get there eventually, but the early sell is falling flat for me.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Uh we know almost nothing about the clans at this point.

Looking at Zurgo (one of the few actual cards we've seen), he's clearly a combination of the colors. He's got red (attacks every turn, high power vs low toughness), white (indestructibility), and black (Sengir Vampire ability). To see the influence of white on Mardu, just compare it to Rakdos; the Mardu are clearly more organized and militaristic than Rakdos, who are just a pack of selfish psychopaths. If anything it seems like the black portion is least defined; so far, Mardu has been looking pretty Boros.

KalTorak on
    Awkwardly, describing Zhurgo in that way makes his design seem more "checkboxy" than Sam Stoddard's article would suggest is good.

Also, I'm guessing the XXBBBB card is an updated Bane of the Living, something like:

Living Banefully
    XXBBBB
    Creature - Horror (R)
    4/3
    Morph XBB
    When CARDNAME enters the battlefield or is turned face up, other creatures get -X/-X until end of turn.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. Aside from the minimal info we currently have, I'd say you're maybe thinking too much on how each individual color has values that don't mix instead of how they coexist

WUR is the perfect color combination to represent enlightenment-seekers! Especially if those enlightenment seekers fight using martial arts, a very personal means of self-expression with emphasis on form and application outside of combat. They've got the pursuit of knowledge and overall harmony that any UW combo has, but the red represents their focus of self-betterment, of pursuing adventurous and free-thought, of attunement to the self. They aren't about enforcing laws to make society the best that it could be, but about making each individual person the best they could be within the whole. If I was gonna liken them to an existing group, I'd say Jeskai seem to be more like a benevolent izzet.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    and for Mardu, they're not all that Rakdos. They're a bloodthirstier Boros with emphasis on individual glory and accomplishment. They're proud both singularly and collectively; Zurgo is all about Zurgo glory, but he's also all about Mardu glory. Those two things aren't necessarily at odds.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Fair points. I'm probably being unfairly influenced by the options on that quiz, since right now that's basically all we have. I could only "hear" the allied colors in each obvious answer.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Fair points. I'm probably being unfairly influenced by the options on that quiz, since right now that's basically all we have. I could only "hear" the allied colors in each obvious answer.

yeah, i get that (and agree re: the quiz)

and really, though I haven't gone into deep thought on 'em or anything, I wouldn't say I've got a great read on how the colors of sultai or temur inform their character yet either, beyond limps stabs like "rural dimir" and "their shamans are like... walter white-caliber"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    For Abzan, what seems to stand out to me is that they're characterized by their endurance. Their official name is "The Abzan Houses," which has connotations of lineage, legacy, etc: old money mages of a sort. Think Orzhov if it actually thought of itself as a family and cared, at least in the abstract, about its members, about their continued growth and prosperity. So I'd peg their focus as being on the continued existence of their houses into the future. There's a selfishness in their will to survive and endure (green and black) and a vanity in specifically preserving Abzan's deeds and legacy (white and black), but within these values they care about one another, of enduring alongside their friends and family (white and green).

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Actually now that I'm thinking about it (and after looking at the full names again) Temur's full name is "The Temur Frontier." Conveys a sense of being on the edge, and of constantly pushing beyond that edge. And what's more blue than a perpetual plunge into the unknown with a curious mind? The unknown in this case is just the natural world. Blue actually makes a lot of sense as a color of explorers, beyond the obvious green-ness of it. So Temur seems to me to be about adventure, discovery, and punching the things that you discover.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    For Abzan, what seems to stand out to me is that they're characterized by their endurance. Their official name is "The Abzan Houses," which has connotations of lineage, legacy, etc: old money mages of a sort. Think Orzhov if it actually thought of itself as a family and cared, at least in the abstract, about its members, about their continued growth and prosperity. So I'd peg their focus as being on the continued existence of their houses into the future. There's a selfishness in their will to survive and endure (green and black) and a vanity in specifically preserving Abzan's deeds and legacy (white and black), but within these values they care about one another, of enduring alongside their friends and family (white and green).

While I believe much of what you said still applies, I was under the impression that the Abzan have been characterized as nomadic exiles from the other clans; rather than being vain, old money mages, it seems they're more likely individuals expelled from their original tribes for adhering to personal values that conflicted with those of their native tribes, which is a manner of stubborn "collective" individualism that feels very WBG, even if individualism isn't generally an attribute applied to White or White-centered philosophies.

Regardless, Mobile Fortress Elephants are pretty cool.

Theo you're killin it with this flavor explanation

metaghost wrote: »

While I believe much of what you said still applies, I was under the impression that the Abzan have been characterized as nomadic exiles from the other clans; rather than being vain, old money mages, it seems they're more likely individuals expelled from their original tribes for adhering to personal values that conflicted with those of their native tribes, which is a manner of stubborn "collective" individualism that feels very WBG, even if individualism isn't generally an attribute applied to White or White-centered philosophies.

Regardless, Mobile Fortress Elephants are pretty cool.

Ahh! That's cool, I can see how that works within the color philosophy. The ""old money"" flavor was totally a stab by me based on their name that then got me thinking about the ways WBG might me expressed by them. I musta missed the nomadic exile characterization

without the total context it makes me think "red" more than it probably will/is supposed to, but if it's flavored like a heretical-ish unity or naturalist ideology i can see it coming more from the black type of individualism

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    The Betman wrote: »
    Theo you're killin it with this flavor explanation

colors, man! colors. magic... is cool.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hmmmm

ZlscbeI.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hah. That thing might as well have written: "The Abzan mechanic gives +1/+1 counters".

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Seems good with M15 Ajani

edited August 2014
    Ahh! That's cool, I can see how that works within the color philosophy. The ""old money"" flavor was totally a stab by me based on their name that then got me thinking about the ways WBG might me expressed by them. I musta missed the nomadic exile characterization

without the total context it makes me think "red" more than it probably will/is supposed to, but if it's flavored like a heretical-ish unity or naturalist ideology i can see it coming more from the black type of individualism

I was trying to find what I remembered reading, but all I could come up with is this little blurb that refers to the Abzan as "adopting orphans of war". Apparently the Temur are the nomads.

EDIT: Hopefully the Abzan ability isn't YET another thing that grants +1/+1 counters.

metaghost on
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: Hopefully the Abzan ability isn't YET another thing that grants +1/+1 counters.

Obv the Abzan are all Fungusaurs. They get stronger from taking damage that doesn't kill them outright. ENDURANCE OF THE DRAGON!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    prediction: abzan gain +1/+1 counters when blocking or blocked

liEt3nH.png
    That's really believable.

But I don't want it to be true, not one bit.

Why the counter hate?

I'm more aboard the abzan train after reading that blurb and seeing they live in the desert

i love fantasy desert shit

gimme some sandy-ass hydras

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Oh, not hate, just feel like it might have been nice to get a block without using them as a core element of an archetype's identity.

Also, an abundance of counters (of any sort) is a minor visual nuisance when watching event coverage. SCG does a good job using goofy gigantic dice, but I feel WotC coverage is pretty lacking, both because of lower resolution and smaller dice.

Desert reprint confirmed, Abzan centered around Camel tribal.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Mutavault reprint to support camel tribal.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Listening to the latest LR, where they are discussing the changes to Block Structure with regards to Limited, Brian Wong mentioned something I missed in the original article ( if it was in there at all, and not stated earlier), and I thought I'd bring it up here too in case y'all missed it too:

Large sets will now be larger - featuring 20 ( I think) additional Uncommons. I think that's great for a number of reasons:

1) More room to reprint staples that would usually be in Core Sets - whether a Common bumping other cards up, or at Uncommon itself

2) allows more cards to experiment with a new mechanic/theme from a Block to help make up for the loss of a third set.

Yeah, hopefully it means more funky "build around" cards for limited.

It's a damn shame you weren't around for the glory of Burning Vengeance and Spider Spawning.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Enough with all the +1/+1 counters. Bring back the -1/-1s. Bring back Infect.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I felt like the wedges in the first commander product nailed the flavor.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »

What's interesting is that Animar is definitely a "Temur" card, while the other guy (whose name I forget) is totally RUG.

Eh... Kaalia just feels like box-checking (angels, demons, dragons) and Tariel would be much better suited as a straight WB card without the randomness of red getting in the way, since that's all it adds to her. Ruhan's kind of a tough sell too, as I don't think his blue-ness really comes through at all.

Still, 7 out of 10 is pretty good.
    Feral wrote: »

What's interesting is that Animar is definitely a "Temur" card, while the other guy (whose name I forget) is totally RUG.

Riki of Two Reflections. Man, what a damned nuisance he is.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The first thing I said when I saw that elephant was, "Oh man, now everybody's going to be playing Ghave for 3 months, again."

I will stand by that statement, as well. I mean, not everybody everybody, obviously, but a lot of those old Ghave decks will be dusted off since it seems apparent the Junk wedge is all about +1/+1 counters.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The first thing I said when I saw that elephant was, "Oh man, now everybody's going to be playing Ghave for 3 months, again."

I will stand by that statement, as well. I mean, not everybody everybody, obviously, but a lot of those old Ghave decks will be dusted off since it seems apparent the Junk wedge is all about +1/+1 counters.

It's not like Ghave needs any help, I mean, you can trip over yourself and suddenly realise you've gone infinite playing a Ghave deck.
    Yeah, hopefully it means more funky "build around" cards for limited.

It's a damn shame you weren't around for the glory of Burning Vengeance and Spider Spawning.

I helped someone with a spider tribal deck they wanted to make for casual games, it even turned out to be a pretty solid deck. I added the Spiderspawning loop for funsies too because it's the best spider card.
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Deadly Recluse
    2 Aquastrand Spider
    4 Nyx Weaver
    4 Graverobber Spider
    4 Silklash Spider
    2 Arachnus Spinner

2 Arachnus Web
    3 Spider Spawning
    3 Grisly Salvage
    2 Memory's Journey
    2 Runic Repetition

8 Forest
    4 Simic Guildgate
    4 Golgari Guildgate
    5 Swamp
    2 Island

edited August 2014
    Get ready for some spoilers, y'all.

Anyone got some funky predictions? Will we see the return of Horsemanship?!?! (Mighty Morphing Horsemen of the Apocalypse)

EDIT: So Delve instead of Unearth, which was generally anticipated. And Outlast... literally just "put a +1/+1 counter on this dude".

metaghost on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    spoilers up in the SE magic thread.

This discussion has been closed.