As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I kind of want to use that to cast Hex for BB.

Think bigger: he changes the text of Curse of the Swine to, "UU: Turn all the opponent's creatures into pigs."

I prefer the version where you throw in Quicken and cast it after they declare attackers: "UUU: the enemy assault force becomes more interested in your turnips than your turrets. Draw a card."

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Y'all are thinking small! The best spells are Curse of Swine and Dregs of Sorrow! It is time we brought back X4B from its glory days of hype to its new glory days of actually seeing play because of Commander!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    635331328451021405.jpeg

tee hee

atlas shrugs

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Dear Commander players:

Suck it up, Obliterate and Armaggedon are fair.

Love,

WOTC.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Dear Commander players:

Suck it up, Obliterate and Armaggedon are fair.

Love,

WOTC.

Those cards aren't really "fair" (especially Armageddon) but this guy is because he provides outs other than just countering (obv does not apply to Obliterate).

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't like the card. I just like the flavor.

I think EDH players should be more willing to use targeted and/or nonbasic land destruction (eg, Ruination)

But Armageddon and Obliterate just make long games go longer.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    So have you guys heard the rumors about a set involving Sarkhan Vol's home plane? Thoughts? I think its a set or two off but I hope they do an anti-shard set soon. (Junk, RUG, BUG, etc)

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    So have you guys heard the rumors about a set involving Sarkhan Vol's home plane? Thoughts? I think its a set or two off but I hope they do an anti-shard set soon. (Junk, RUG, BUG, etc)

Which one is Sarkhan Vol? The crazy one or the dead one?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    well Sarkhan has a card called "Sarkhan the Mad" with no + abilities, so he's at least the crazy one.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    well Sarkhan has a card called "Sarkhan the Mad" with no + abilities, so he's at least the crazy one.

He could just be really angry.

What's his schtick?

Looking him up I came up with the following from Mark Rosewater's blog:
    kallixti asked: According to Doug Beyer, there are no Dragons on Sarkhan Vol's home plane. (This is important for Sarkhan's backstory.) Since dragons are so popular that every set is required to have one (or a Dragon token generator), does that mean that this plane cannot be the setting for a block? Or does the Mandatory Dragon Rule have an exception for where the absence of Dragons is an important plot point?

Magic is a game where we constantly break the rules. We could have a set without a dragon if the absence of dragons was important.

I'm having difficulty imagining a set without Dragons of some kind. People would boycott Wizards if they did that.

• Options
    Sarkhan's not dead. He returned to Bolas after the events of Zendikar block.

Also, his backstory is pretty congruous with the trademarks that have been abuzz on Salvation (Warlords of Khanar, Khans of Tarkir, and Dragons of Tarkir).

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    People were talking about the recently registered "Khans of Tarkir" as being his home plane, but then they registered "Dragons of Tarkir" so it's kinda up in the air now. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

What's his schtick?

kallixti asked: According to Doug Beyer, there are no Dragons on Sarkhan Vol's home plane. (This is important for Sarkhan's backstory.) Since dragons are so popular that every set is required to have one (or a Dragon token generator), does that mean that this plane cannot be the setting for a block? Or does the Mandatory Dragon Rule have an exception for where the absence of Dragons is an important plot point?

Magic is a game where we constantly break the rules. We could have a set without a dragon if the absence of dragons was important.

I'm having difficulty imagining a set without Dragons of some kind. People would boycott Wizards if they did that.

There were dragons, though, until they were hunted to extinction. And there are still dragon spirits and such.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Sarkhan_Vol

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, the whole plot is going to be Sarkhan trying to revive the dragons.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The third set will have zero non-dragon creatures…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    UURRR
    target player becomes a dragon (describe what color dragon they are and also how strong/beautiful they are)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    UURRR
    target player becomes a dragon (describe what color dragon they are and also how strong/beautiful they are)

Image.ashx?multiverseid=43566&type=card?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Terrendos wrote: »
    UURRR

Somepne posted this combo in the discussion on wizards site, but in my sleep-needed state I can't work out the upshot:

"Liquimetal Coating
    Form of the Dragon
    Ivory Mask
    Bazaar Trader

Make sure there's no creatures out. Sunscour or Wrath of God

Not the easiest or cheapest combo in the world."

Edit: And my brain ticked over; they go to 5 life and you are safe from it. Seems kind of convoluted to pull it off, though. Which I guess they admit.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    UURRR

woah this card is pretty dope

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

What's his schtick?

From what I recall be people had nothing but negative stuff to say about the innistrad dragon.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    UURRR

woah this card is pretty dope

IMO the new art makes it even cooler

7.jpg

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Huh, it appears to have been oracled:

"If you pull some hijinks and give this to your opponent, you must say 'loooovveee yooouuuu!' as you slide it over to their playmat. Post game, your opponent gets to give you one light punch on the arm."

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

uytfqj6.jpg

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    From what I recall be people had nothing but negative stuff to say about the innistrad dragon.

it's not for them

it nestled up all cozy in my Kaalia deck

• Options
    635332876661684521.jpeg

well then

that is not at all ambiguous

• Options
    635332866911958653.jpeg

@Vyolynce‌

Grave Pact it is.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    daaaaaaaaaang.

flash grave pact with looser color requirements.
    i didn't think they would do that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The third set will have zero non-dragon creatures…

I am very disappointed Journey Into Nyx isn't an all-enchantment set.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I love the GB spider, but a friend of mine made a pretty interesting point:
    If that card was 1UB and had flying instead of reach, nobody would bat an eye at its power level and it would be a much better card. Why isn't GB allowed to have, say, a 3 mana 2/4 reach? Or even 3/3? Don't get me wrong, I like the card and realize it's not good because of its body, but...it could also be good because of its body! He just needs, like...breast reduction or something.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    a 2/3 for 3 with reach is already good in limited. it kills wind drakes all day! what more could you want?
    i think it would have to have some kind of drawback to be a 2/3 for 3 with flying, since it'd be pretty much a strictly better wind drake.
    likewise, Giant Spider is the real deal. don't underestimate giant spider!
    also, a 3 drop in green is different than a 3 drop not in green, since you can cast a green 3 drop on turn 2 in almost any constructed format.

...all that aside, though, the real issue you're having here is the rarity symbol. it's an uncommon!
    they could totally make a 2/4 reach for 3 at mythic, since it'd basically only exist in constructed.

also there is a 3/3 with reach for 3, it was in my peasant cube. it's a spider.
    2G 3/3 reach, can only block creatures with flying.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    The irony is that 2/3 spiders are woefully underequipped to deal with wingsteed riders, akroan skyguards and ornitarchs.

Now where are my sweet counterburnspells?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Question.

Elspeth's magic spear from Heliod.

Do you call it "God Send" or "God's End"?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Question.

Yes.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Question.

Yes.

No.

You call it "Godsend". This is a real word.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Question.

Yes.

No.

You call it "Godsend". This is a real word.

Actually, in this case the answer really is Yes.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/82146612094/is-it-god-send-or-gods-end

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    635332876661684521.jpeg

well then

What a profoundly unfun card.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    635332876661684521.jpeg

well then

What a profoundly unfun card.

And I bet it spoils the ending to the block's novel too.

(I kid. That was never really in doubt, was it?)

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    a 2/3 for 3 with reach is already good in limited. it kills wind drakes all day! what more could you want?
    i think it would have to have some kind of drawback to be a 2/3 for 3 with flying, since it'd be pretty much a strictly better wind drake.
    likewise, Giant Spider is the real deal. don't underestimate giant spider!
    also, a 3 drop in green is different than a 3 drop not in green, since you can cast a green 3 drop on turn 2 in almost any constructed format.

...all that aside, though, the real issue you're having here is the rarity symbol. it's an uncommon!
    they could totally make a 2/4 reach for 3 at mythic, since it'd basically only exist in constructed.

also there is a 3/3 with reach for 3, it was in my peasant cube. it's a spider.
    2G 3/3 reach, can only block creatures with flying.

Vampire Nighthawk is a 3 mana 2/3 flying lifelink deathtouch and is one color. I think we could get a 3 mana 2/4 reach without deathtouch or lifelink with a weird activated ability and an attached downside.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Filling your GY (I called this dredge, it's not dredge) is not a downside. Also, being able to grab any card from your yard is incredibly unique and powerful in this Standard, and even in Modern.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Filling your GY is not a downside. Also, being able to grab any card from your yard is incredibly unique and powerful in this Standard, and even in Modern.

Eh, I agree that the self-mill isn't really a "downside" per se, it's a bit more nebulous than that. In limited, where a 3 mana 2/3 reach is actually playable, it is a downside more often than it's not. In constructed, the card won't see much (if any) legitimate play, because the body is too small and the ability is not only overcosted at 3, but the creature adds another 3 to that. Treasured Find hasn't seen any tournament play whatsoever and is only 2 mana. The fact that it exiles itself instead of sacrificing is probably the part keeping it from being playable in, say, a Pod list in Modern, but even then they get Eternal Witness in that slot, which is certainly just better.

This discussion has been closed.