As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't get a region 2 DVD to play.

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
I buy a lot of UK DVDs (I'm in Region 1) because I'm a nerd like that and I use VLC Media PLayer on my PC and so far it plays all of them just fine. But I just got this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girls-On-Top-Complete-Series/dp/B000LXHJHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389188923&sr=8-1&keywords=girls+on+top'
and I can't get it to play at all.

Any advice? I'm really not even sure where to start trying to get it to work; I've always just put the dvds in and they play.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    MakeMkv's demo version will unregion DVDs for you (you pay for Blu-Ray).

There's a bunch of other things - DVD Decryptor or ImageBurn might do it (former is the basis of the latter, but I can't remember if the CSS breaking is still in it).

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    One trick I've used (if none of the software workarounds work) is to buy a separate USB DVD drive, and change the region on that DVD drive to the new region.

You're actually allowed to do it ... 5 times, I think, per DVD drive. So basically, I do it once, and end up with a legit, but dedicated, DVD drive capable of playing DVDs from another region.

Not sure if that's a worthwhile investment, though, for your situation.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If watching the movie is worth $16, then yeah, that'd work perfectly and also provide the same service in case any other movies in the future behave the same way.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    There is always the possibility that the dvd is bad.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You're all talking way over my head.

Anyway, all I did was uninstall VLC and it's preferences and re-install it and everything worked.