As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume help - Listing future skills

NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
So I'm in my last year at college, and I'm starting the job hunt. The school I'm at runs on the trimester system, so I won't have finished two of my most resume friendly classes (Economic Forecasting and my honors thesis) until the end of next term, which runs March til' June.

Is there some good way to note that I will have done these two classes when I graduate and am ready to work, even though I haven't taken them now, on a resume? I don't want to just list them as if I had taken them, then get into an awkward situation during a job interview.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am a little confused by your question. Are you intending to list all of your college courses on your resume?

• Options
    Not all the courses, no, but "I did an honors thesis for <this local nonprofit> wherein I helped them <do this>" would look very good on a resume. Also "Forecasting" looks really, really good under "work skills."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I would think they would be a better inclusion in a cover letter, rather then under education on a resume until you actually complete the courses. In a cover letter, you get more space to flesh out what you did and why you were (on in this case, will be) awesome at it. Something like "I'm currently attending X college, where to complete my Y degree I'll be doing my honors thesis for <this local nonprofit> wherein I will help them <do this>, as well as taking <classes>".

But then, I may be out of date on current resume trends, the only thing I put under education is where I went, when I went there, what degree I got and any honors I got while getting that degree.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    One way to do it is list your intended completion time in parenthesis afterwards to denote items that are in progress with a future completion date.

Ex.

- Economic Forecasting (June 2014)

• Options
    msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    One way to do it is list your intended completion time in parenthesis afterwards to denote items that are in progress with a future completion date.

Ex.

- Economic Forecasting (June 2014)

Ehh, I don't love this for a skill. This works much better for a degree or a certification (listing your expected graduation or your sitting date for the CPA exam are fine, for example).

Agree with the suggestion to include this type of information in a cover letter.

• Options
    Cover letter it is.
    Thanks for the help folks.