As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monster Hunter

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    As long as you don't try and shock trap it and hit it a lot when it very obviously try's to charge you will be fine

Yeah, basically just don't be a complete moron like me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I think it is a monster with double rage mode?

Regular and then charged

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There is something so primally satisfying about killing enough of these things to make his goofy ass into a full set of armor and weapons
    I'm rocking the Kecha armor now which has those long tails on the helmet and... like a big bow on the waist?

It's got better raw defense than the Jaggi set but none of the bonuses
    I assume managing that kind of trade-off becomes crucial as you progress

• Options
    Yeah

Going into a fight with -40 fire defense against a dragon is no fun

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah

Going into a fight with -40 fire defense against a dragon is no fun

Conversely, going into a fight with 30 fire resist and basically taking chip damage from a fireball from Rathalos is hilarious

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There is something so primally satisfying about killing enough of these things to make his goofy ass into a full set of armor and weapons
    I'm rocking the Kecha armor now which has those long tails on the helmet and... like a big bow on the waist?

15_Woman%20Warrior%202.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    senpai noticed me!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

every full armor set should have at least one activated armor skill, kecha's has something too. I don't remember what though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Kecha has whim and water attack +1, which may or may not be too in demand early on.

And yeah, every armor set should have at least one or two skills (high and g-rank versions often have more), sometimes a negative skill, and maybe a few incomplete skills that you could charm/jewel in. Finding skills you like and tailoring your armor (or mixing and matching pieces) for it is half the battle.

• Options
    I vaguely remember someone saying something about caravan 6 having good missions but being easy to skip past?

so where is caravan 6? is it dundorma or is it that half a second you spend at val harbor before you go to dundorma?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It is the stuff before Dundorma.
    Once you beat, uh, whatever the 'final' monster is before unlocking the Dundorma quests (Shagaru? I guess), head back to all the other towns and you can pick up some more quests, make sure to do all the quests with speech bubbles next to them too, they are often little quest-lines which wind up unlocking funky stuff like Elder Dragons or whatever.

• Options
    Now I was under the impression that a skill didn't activate unless you had all the pieces of a set equipped
    But you can mix and match and still get the effects?

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Now I was under the impression that a skill didn't activate unless you had all the pieces of a set equipped
    But you can mix and match and still get the effects?

yes. You need 10 points in a skill to activate it. These can be from any combination of armour, weapon, gems and pendant.

Some skills get better if you have 15/20/25 points in them (fire atk +1, then fire atk +2 for example)

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Oh well that's great!

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Mixing and matching is a great way to get a lot of desired skills all in one package.

The downside is you often look like some sort of clown hobo because some pieces just do not look good together.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You know what? I thought I was past the Khezu. But the fact that it spends a majority of its time either electrified or mounted to the fucking walls and ceilings make hunting it a goddamn fucking chore.

And whoever thought people should go hunt it in areas swarming with Konchus can go gag on a rancid shit cake.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    are there any particularly fun monsters in mh3u that aren't in mh4u

• Options
    Most of them

Lagicargus, Barroth, Ludroth, the other guys besides Jaggi, barioth....

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Qurupeco, Nargacuga, Agnaktor...basically everything that's a better version of something from an earlier game was removed and replaced by the worse version.

Akantor makes me wish that the game had a rare subspecies of Agnaktor instead.

• Options
    3 was basically "what if we remade favorites and fixed their hitbox"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    You know what? I thought I was past the Khezu. But the fact that it spends a majority of its time either electrified or mounted to the fucking walls and ceilings make hunting it a goddamn fucking chore.

And whoever thought people should go hunt it in areas swarming with Konchus can go gag on a rancid shit cake.
    Khezu is a lesson in patience and watching the monster. Although I'm not sure what you're supposed to do when it's mounted on walls and ceilings, when it's on the ground you can easily kill it by standing at its 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock out of tail sweep range, watching what it does, and attack after he does it.

Like, in MHFU, I can beat Khezu with just the starting Longsword and no armor by just maneuvering to its flank, watching its moves, and attacking after it does a move, and repeating. He was probably my first "brick wall" monster (the one I couldn't beat until I analyzed what I was doing wrong and fixed it).

Of course, you can bypass ALL of this and get faster killtimes by just bringing a ranged weapon. Move to anywhere that isn't a 90 degree cone in front of its face, and shoot Fire at it all day long. If he repositions, you move. Repeat as necessary.

There are some monsters that I attack all out, all the time, without pausing, like Zinogre. Khezu is not one of those monsters, and I actually like the methodical stabbing and maneuvering when facing him.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I have not even touched a ranged weapon
    I don't know how I'd ever land a shot with these controls

• Options
    A quest to hunt two frenzied Khezus?

No thanks, Monster Hunter. No thanks.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Okay well Tetsucabra just smacked me around in a downright embarrassing manner

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Tip for Khezu - If he's mounted on a wall or a ceiling, climb up and use your X key to pull out your hunting knife and start slashing in his direction. A few hits is all it takes to send him plummeting to hte floor, allowing you to easily wail on him.

You can also jump between stalactites on the ceiling, opening up some good oppurtunities to do jump attacks.

Sadly, not much you can do about the electrifed state, which is horrid to deal with. Well, other than take up gunning.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Seriously wrote: »
    I vaguely remember someone saying something about caravan 6 having good missions but being easy to skip past?

so where is caravan 6? is it dundorma or is it that half a second you spend at val harbor before you go to dundorma?

caravan 6 was the single player post-game stuff in the first version of MH4. MH4U is the Hyper Turbo Championship 2015 Edition, and Dundorma and all the quest stuff there is new content that was added in it. The original vanilla MH4 was not released outside Japan, but that's why you unlock them both at the same time after beating Shaggy Maggy.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ugh, lance is not the weapon to take on Tetsucabra with

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Having just recently started replaying 3u I am willing to say their logic was more like, "how about we remake old monsters with similarly annoying moves but also make them run around a lot."

I think it really depends on where you started the series, but I find all the stupid hiding under ground, rolling around. Mud and ice crap bothersome. It's just very not as interesting as people make it out to be.

Wrt khezu: you can still hit him while he's zapping, as long as your hunter doesn't come into contact. Lance, gs, ls, gl, hammer, glaive, swaxe all have long enough reach. Bounce bomb+ him off walls and ceilings for free trips. He's really pretty easy.

Red khezu is slightly more annoying because of its lightning ball junk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Sure it is. You can't attack him head on though if you're in front of him he's gonna keep charging or scooping rocks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/-p7d54NQsZw?t=76

Froniter continues to look really dumb

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/-p7d54NQsZw?t=76

Froniter continues to look really dumb

I dunno, I could get behind the rocket tonfas.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options

Sure it is. You can't attack him head on though if you're in front of him he's gonna keep charging or scooping rocks.

Gotta break that jaw though!

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Knock him over (either via mounting or tripping, or both) then wail on the jaw.
    This is generally the best way to get breaks which would otherwise put you in danger.
    Although with a lance you do have a few more options with the counter-attack and such which can be handy.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    ...They gave meteors to green plesioth.
    Why?

Also that jumpy bird looks like the most annoying thing to fight.

I don't think either of those can top the "diablos" with goofy glowing spikes that inexplicably goes supernova, though.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Why is it so damn hard to get a gypceros head?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Gotta break that jaw though!

You can totally do that without attacking head on. The tusk hitbox is huge. Getting claws is probably harder.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    oh goodness, it's yian garuga!!

I gotta finish making this bnahabra suit so I can look my best for our date

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Why is it so damn hard to get a gypceros head?

Are you actually breaking it's head in every fight?
    Seriously wrote: »

I gotta finish making this bnahabra suit so I can look my best for our date

I was not expecting the bnahabra set to look as good as it does.

I've been spending way too much time grinding out other fashion sets in the arena as well. Scholar and Helper, just because.

Next up is a full set of lecturer's gear. The caravan tickets aren't the hard part, it's the random bugs / gems / other shit that makes it take ages.

In the PSP versions my main sets were always Kirin and Mizuha for fighting and butterfly for gathering, so I'll pick those up as well.

Oh and the shagaru magala set looks wicked as well, so I'll need to get that....

This game man... It's too good.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    How do you collect bnahabra parts? They always disintegrate as soon as I kill them

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    You poison them with poison smoke bombs. Also hunters for hire can give you some parts.