As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monster Hunter

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I keep getting my ass kicked by Gore margala. The urgent quest that takes place out in the steppes.

I probably just need a bigger great sword.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    A bigger sword is a pretty fine answer to most of the problems the game can throw at you.
    Gore is weak to fire if that helps any (not that Great Swords need elemental damage particularly).

Hanging out under it's hind legs is generally a safe-bet, just be ready to reposition when it hops backwards.

• AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    Gore is a bit of a wake up call, yeah. Just know that if you can manage it, hitting his head is the way to get it out of the scary purple rage mode. Otherwise it stays that way forever D:

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Asharaxx wrote: »
    Gore is a bit of a wake up call, yeah. Just know that if you can manage it, hitting his head is the way to get it out of the scary purple rage mode. Otherwise it stays that way forever D:
    You can hit him anywhere, really. He has to take a certain amount of damage to get out of rage, and it doesn't have to be the head. He gets into rage based on how much Frenzy he is causing on you, so stepping into Frenzy pools and such will get him to rage faster.

I think all of his attacks affect a cone in front of him, so if you go for the flank, you shouldn't have too much trouble avoiding his attacks. He's pretty fast, granted, but there are openings.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I think that's a big issue is not understanding the rage thing

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Gore has two rage modes basically; the standard sort of one where, when it takes enough damage it'll roar and gain increased speed and damage for a minute or so, and the unique 'rage' where it goes all neon-purple and its horns pop up.

The latter is more dangerous as it basically gains a whole new moveset, and it will stay in that state til you do enough damage and then hit it in the face. You're still pretty safe if you're at its flanks though.

Also, eating a nulberry will reduce the frenzy bar by ~70% or so, which is handy, and if you get infected by the Frenzy you can (and perhaps should) sleep it off at base camp, else those virus attacks can really hurt!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Also, eating a nulberry will reduce the frenzy bar by ~70% or so, which is handy, and if you get infected by the Frenzy you can (and perhaps should) sleep it off at base camp, else those virus attacks can really hurt!

I've found it closer to 50%. And if you lose track of Gore while frenzy'd, it may be worth it to just pop a Farcaster and sleep it off anyways instead of wasting Nulberries.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    I managed to beat it. It was kind of a cool fight. I got carted, dug through the blue chest and found a trap. As I was running back, I noticed it was flashing, so I waited for it to turn blue. Set up the trap right next to it. The trap didn't immediately activate so I smacked it in the head, breaking the feelers. I put my sword away and smacked it with two tranq bombs only to find out that it STILL hasn't stepped on the trap. So the last minute of the fight was trying to maneuver to keep the trap between me and it. He finally charged me and set off the trap, ending the quest.

• AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    That is awesome. I always thought the tranqs had to be applied while it was in the trap. So it just charged into the trap and immediately fell over and slept?

Asharaxx wrote: »
    That is awesome. I always thought the tranqs had to be applied while it was in the trap. So it just charged into the trap and immediately fell over and slept?

Yeah, the tranq bombs actually last for a bit. I'm not sure how long though, as I've always done it the other way.

Well time to build gore gear and one of every gore weapon

Tranq works the same as any status effect, so you can apply it before they step in a trap yeah, although I believe the duration is pretty short, so it's not all the useful, but it does mean you won't waste your tranqs if you have to coax your target into a trap for a little while.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I had my first run-in with a Rathian on an Egg quest in Tanzia, or however you spell it.

I was just minding my business, stealing some wyvern eggs, and then bam, this big fucker runs up on me.

I managed to avoid him, but goddamn, looking forward to when I'm at a point where I can fight him. I also ran into one today when fighting a Qurupeco for a Tanzia quest. That was kind of even more terrifying, since I also had peco to deal with.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Rathian is female, you were stealing her poor babies!

All so some fat cat questgiver can have a big omelette or something.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Well I love omelettes, so

Moriveth wrote: »
    I had my first run-in with a Rathian on an Egg quest in Tanzia, or however you spell it.

I was just minding my business, stealing some wyvern eggs, and then bam, this big fucker runs up on me.

I managed to avoid him, but goddamn, looking forward to when I'm at a point where I can fight him. I also ran into one today when fighting a Qurupeco for a Tanzia quest. That was kind of even more terrifying, since I also had peco to deal with.

Yeah that's why it's a good idea to carry to carry dying bombs when fighting quero

Ah, is that what dung bombs are for?

And really, I should have figured - this was a Tanzia quest, which I know are tougher than the regular Moga quests, plus it said 'Danger' on the quest description and everything.

I still beat peco, though, not much of an issue. That at least added a fun little wrinkle to the quest.

(Once I defeated peco, the Rathian came by almost immediately and right when the quest completed she belched an enormous fireball on me. It looked pretty badass since my dude was doing his victory animation at the time.)

Yeah, dung bombs will make a monster leave an area faster. Great for multiple monster quests.

Also, lets you escape from being pinned. Always keep some handy for both reasons.

Also also, because you're throwing poop. Hilarious!

Yeah, I'll definitely make use of them now that I know that. Been a bit rough like in the first Peco quest when he summons the Great Jaggi.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I've been ignoring the egg quests, I did the first one and after a rock wall just up and appeared for no reason other than to force me to take the long way round I wrote them off as tiresome bullshit

is there anything I'm missing out on?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I've been ignoring the egg quests, I did the first one and after a rock wall just up and appeared for no reason other than to force me to take the long way round I wrote them off as tiresome bullshit

is there anything I'm missing out on?

The very last quest in the Caravan egg quest line is the only High Rank Crimson Fatalis. They are bullshit, but you only do them once.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Infinite stamina (hunting horn, dash juice, mushromancer + mopeshroom), pro transporter, and that felyne skill I always forget the name of makes the carry quests a whole lot more manageable.

That said they still suck balls and I could do with a whooole lot less of them in future games please.

So far I've put almost 40 hours into 3U, and I've not even finished the Low rank quests yet.

I clocked 150 before high rank

I am pretty deliberate though, and an avid collector

Infinite stamina (hunting horn, dash juice, mushromancer + mopeshroom), pro transporter, and that felyne skill I always forget the name of makes the carry quests a whole lot more manageable.

That said they still suck balls and I could do with a whooole lot less of them in future games please.

They are a MH tradition! A super lame tradition!

You'll want the armour skill 'transporter', which lets you carry eggs and boulders at a considerably faster speed. The food skill Felyne Lander lets you jump off high zone transitions without breaking the egg, and there's another Felyne skill which I can't remember the name of which makes it less likely for you to drop it if a trash mob hits you.

It's generally easiest to kill whatever big monster(s) they have guarding the egg before carrying them (although often said monster will only show up once you pick up an egg) and, yeah, figure out what roundabout route they're going to want you to take. It's also worth clearing some zones out of ioprey/rhenoplos and stuff first because they can pretty easily ruin your day.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Large monsters have special behavior just for egg deliveries they don't use at any other time. It's horrible. When you pick up the target object, they immediately drop whatever they are doing no matter where they are to come chase you, and they pursue you when you change areas. If you have to deliver several eggs, it's often scripted so that each time you deliver one they put boulders blocking zone boundaries to force you to use longer and longer routes each time.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah, just, just murder the large monsters, it'll save you much headache.
    You can probably avoid them in the first few egg quests, where your weapons are such that killing a Rathian in time might be a dubious prospect, but by the time you get to the last one with like, dual Tigrex or Gravios or some nonsense you definitely don't want them trying to stomp on you as your legging it back to base.

I mean I can buy the large monsters being on a mission, given that ghastly thing I'm doing

it's like

no fucking wonder they keep going for cities

I suppose I am offending the planet itself, which is why rock walls

Look man, you ever had a Wyvernian Omelette? They're pretty good.

Also, as much as I'm enjoying MH3U, some of the Monster Hunter-ness of it does grate a bit. Basically my main complaint is the % chance of gathering certain materials being low and being unable to farm those things (I'm looking at you, Carpenterbugs). I get that's what harvest tours are for but it is a bit annoying sometimes when I need *one* thing and I go through the whole area harvesting every node I can find and I get nothing. Also, the other day I cut off a Royal Ludroth's tail and didn't get the tail, so come on.

I mean, this is the sort of thing that I think is only kept in because that's how Monster Hunter do. And I kinda get that, but it runs a bit silly sometimes.

Oh also underwater fights suck a lot. But I think everyone understands that?

RNG is a harsh mistress.

Yeah. I got the tail the second time around, but still.

Oh well, it prompted me to learn the long sword a bit better, anyway.

MH3U was particularly bad for equipment requiring rare bug parts, and in large quantities, yeah, it tails off eventually.
    For carpenter bugs your best bet is just running a mission to the D.Island (or Moga Island free hunt), heading to the felyne zone in the little cave and gathering from the bug spot in there. It has a pretty high chance of paying out with carpenter bugs, and if not just complete/abandon the mission and try again. Unless you need other bugs running around gathering at every harvest spot is generally a waste of time.

I guess the principle of the low drop rates on tails and things is that you'd often be playing in a group, so a R.Ludroth hunt is a couple of minutes long. Solo, not so much.

Thankfully I only needed one tail. And yeah, I did the Deserted Island harvest tour and it ended up fine, about 2-3 minutes per run so I got the carpenterbugs in maybe 15-20 minutes. It's more the principle of the thing, but I'm learning to kinda just go "Oh, Monster Hunter!"

The Ludroth fight was maybe about 15 minutes long? I wish I could play with other people, but no one else I know in real life really enjoys Monster Hunter.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    10-15 minute runs is usually about how long it takes to drop most offline quests of equivalent gear level

Though going into low rank caravan quests outfitted in G-level gear in 4U is funny as hell

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Oh also underwater fights suck a lot. But I think everyone understands that?
    Yes, but you can use a lance and thereby avoid most problems with underwater hunting.

Eh, I can get by 'em fine with longsword or hammer. What's the specific advantage to lance, though?

Vertical fighting in 4U has its moments of frustration but I prefer it about 4000 times more than underwater fighting.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    There are no real advantages to the lance in underwater combat, it just loses the least in comparison to other weapons when used underwater

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Eh, I can get by 'em fine with longsword or hammer. What's the specific advantage to lance, though?

Because of the lance abilities as well as the movesets available to monsters once they're underwater, fighting basically becomes easy mode. SnS to a lesser extent too

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    It's the shield. Rather than suffer the sluggish underwater dodging and expose yourself to super long knockdowns and waterblight from currents, you just block and counter.
    The only notable exception is lagi's electric field, which can hit you from behind if you're too close, so instead you backstep away from it.