As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monster Hunter

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    When fighting Ceadeus, he'll move through Areas 1 and 2. If you don't trim his beard before he reaches Area 3, you automatically fail the quest.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you need to deal a certain amount of damage to him before he reaches the end of area one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    So I was fighting a gravios. There was a break in the action so I decided to eat a steak. The gravios did that rolling attack like the royal ludroth does. Miraculously, I was standing there rubbing my belly while his tail skimmed over my head by mere inches

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Now that I have enough gravios scalps to build the gigaton hammer I forget what I was going to use that to kill.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Now that I have enough gravios scalps to build the gigaton hammer I forget what I was going to use that to kill.

EVEEERRRYYYYTHHHIIIING

Also with Cedeaus it turns out I wasn't doing damage fast enough, which is understandable given how slooow the hammer is. So I switched to dual blades and that was fine! Still kind of a lame mission, though, but eh.

• Options
    And now I'm almost done with the low-rank quests except for like 3? So that's also kinda neat.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Still kind of a lame mission, though, but eh.

Yep, Ceadeus is regarded as one of the big demonstrators for "Why MH4 Does Not Have Underwater Combat". And if you think that's bad, just wait 'til you hit Goldbeard...

...and the Dire Miralis...

...and Abyssal Lagiacrus...

Oh, once you start getting into High Rank (7* and up) quests and make yourself a decent set, start bangin' out some quests at Port Tanzia. Even solo, you may be able to manage these quests up to Rank 4.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I actually kinda like the Ceadeus fight, albeit mostly just for the atmosphere (and music), mechanically it is a mess certainly.

You can solo all the Tanzia port quests in MH3U, I did, though it might take a little preparation (and/or blatant cheesing) for some of the trickier ones.

• Options
    Yeah, the music in that fight was really good, at least.

• Options
    AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ooh, are we talking music now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msf7SuBrx0Y
    So good.

Asharaxx on
  • Options
    Oh man, do I really have to break Cedaeus' beard in the quest to repel/kill him too?!?

God damn you, Cedaeus. I wonder if it's worth getting some better weapons in high rank before trying to trudge through that.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I believe the mechanic is that if you do not break Ceadeus beard before it reaches the final zone then you automatically fail the quest.
    Of course at no point is this actually mentioned as far as I can recall.

The beard is pretty fragile; so if it's taking a long time for you to break it then it may well be easier to come back with some better gear, yeah.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    I think my main issue regarding the beard is doing enough damage in time, but that's because I used slow weapons. When I used the dual blades I managed to take down the beard, so I'll just have to do that again.

But I'll also do that later, as I just need one more fertile mud to craft the last piece of barroth armor come on Barroth give it up asshole

• Options
    Duals should be fine yeah, that's what I used, Longsword is pretty good against Ceadeus too.
    You can kind of avoid the underwater positioning issues which come with duals by sort of wedging yourself in it's armpit and stabbing wildly. (Once it gets to the final zone that is).

It's weakest to Dragon, but you might not have any dragon weapons yet? If not thunder is the next best choice.

• Options
    I think I have a thunder sword. I tried longsword but that didn't work - but I did faint once, so I kinda lost a decent amount of time just swimming back to him.

• Options
    I haven't used Longsword since Tri, but from memory you can just continuously spirit combo into it's armpit with little difficulty.

Note that there a few different ledges you can jump off of in the base camp; each one takes you to a different zone of the map.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Asharaxx wrote: »
    Ooh, are we talking music now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msf7SuBrx0Y
    So good.

obligatory mention of the khezu theme
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoX4Q3AcbM

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Draken50Draken50 Registered User regular
    I remember lance being amazing underwater, especially if you have a way to drop or eliminate the stamina consumption for charging.

• Options
    Draken50 wrote: »
    I remember lance being amazing underwater, especially if you have a way to drop or eliminate the stamina consumption for charging.

I believe the words you're looking for are "Mega Dash Juice".

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I fought Gobul for what's hopefully the last time. Hopefully. Also, fuck Gobul.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    ....at least until high rank.

Then G-rank.

So lots of opportunities to fuck Gobul still!

....that didn't quite come out the way I had intended.

• Options
    ....at least until high rank.

Nooo!
    Then G-rank.

Nooooo!

So lots of opportunities to fuck Gobul still!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Options
    Whee, captured a purple ludroth on my first time fighting it

by the skin of my fuckin' teeth, jeez

definitely gonna need to get more used to the higher-damage high rank monsters!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Purple Ludroth was the second thing in that game to kill me

And the third

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    YO THE PINK RATHIAN CAN SUCK IT FOR REALS

ALSO CRIMSON QURUPECO BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE HE SUMMONS THE DEVILJHO AND THAT GUY BLOWS

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    YO THE PINK RATHIAN CAN SUCK IT FOR REALS

ALSO CRIMSON QURUPECO BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE HE SUMMONS THE DEVILJHO AND THAT GUY BLOWS

Welcome to High Rank. Don't forget your Dung Bombs!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Yeah, I totally boned up and didn't bring ANY dung bombs so that quest was a whole lot of running away. I still beat the Qurupeco, but man.

• Options
    I defeated the Pink Rathian! Well, captured her. Twice, even!

Man, it's gonna be a hell of a time getting that tail, though...

• Options
    MH announcement today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7Ge7SJOX8

Coming out in Japan this winter.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    how long is it usually until these things are released in the states

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

Too long. :p

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hmm... yeah!

It's weird, MH4U was my first MonHun and I figured I wouldn't have much reason to go back to the series for a good long while after sinking 250 hours up through G3, unless they changed up a lot by removing all the obnoxious animations and unskippable scenes. But just the prospect of new monsters and new weapons is actually super appealing!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

MH4 came out in Japan in 2013, and they elected not to localize it for the west until the traditional "We're Capcom, Buy the Game Again Please" expanded version so probably 2 years until we see anything about it over here, unless they randomly decide to localize the first version this time. Capcom is very inconsistent with localizations.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Ooh, it's got my favorite two levels! Ancestral Steppe and Misty Peaks!

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I love

konchu

I hope they get a boss battle, that is just a bunch of regular konchu clinging to each other and forming shapes different shapes like a giant ball or voltron

they could replace gravios!

• Options
    I finally got MH4. Haven't played much yet as I've had school and I'm still playing MH3 a fair bit, but the font is so amazingly better oh my god. Oh my god, you guys.

• Options
    Yessss, one of us!

• Options
    I feel like the font alone is worth the purchase.

Also man people weren't kidding when they said how much more newbie-friendly MH4 is. Tutorials everywhere! That you don't have to search around to find!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the only bad thing about mh4u is that the dromes and kut-kus are in it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I am so looking forward to no underwater fights.

I'm still playing MH3, mostly because I am still making progress in high-rank, but I'll definitely be spending a lot o time with 4U.

I'll post my friend code when I get home, in case anyone ever wants to play with me.