As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monster Hunter

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    GS was my go to weapon for pretty much all of Portable 2nd and Tri

Mostly ended up using Insect Glaive in 4, but I'm thinking it's about time to go back to good old GS

But yeah, the key to GS is you're never really moving with it unsheathed. Most of your damage will come from unsheath attacks. Run up, unsheath attack, side roll to animation cancel, and sheath to do it again. Once you have the monsters pattern down you can start mixing in charged attacks. Nothing like hitting Ian/Los right in the face with a level 3 charge as it turns around. You make up for not hitting often by doing huge damage when you do hit.

• AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    It's kind of been repeated a lot, but yeah. Used correctly, GS is really one of the most mobile weapons in the game.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm not positive about sticking with it, but it seems pretty handy. Especially if I want to slice bits off monsters.

It's just bouncing off stuff like armor plating, though, so I'll probably still use my hammer when I gotta break some shit.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Bouncing off of a monster is often a way of the game saying, 'Yo, don't hit this bit,' to make you concentrate more on hitting accurately.
    (I believe, strictly speaking, that an attack will always bounce off it is below a certain damage threshold, so parts you always bounce off are reducing damage by a lot.)

Some tough monster parts you can break by hitting enough (or using bombs), and then you won't bounce off of them anymore though, and stuff.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't mind hunting multiple times (otherwise I wouldn't play Monster Hunter I guess), so I may go GS for quick kills and hammer for part breakin'.

Presumably since it's a great sword it'd be good for cutting tails and stuff off, anyway!

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Huh. I tried GS briefly back in Tri, my first MH, and liked it, but threw all my weight behind the Switch Axe instead. Maybe I should give it another shot.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't mind hunting multiple times (otherwise I wouldn't play Monster Hunter I guess), so I may go GS for quick kills and hammer for part breakin'.

Presumably since it's a great sword it'd be good for cutting tails and stuff off, anyway!

Slicing off a tail in a single charge attack is one of life's great pleasures.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My two favorite weapons so far are the sword that turns into an axe and the sword/shield that is also a big axe

BIG AXE

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Bouncing off of a monster is often a way of the game saying, 'Yo, don't hit this bit,' to make you concentrate more on hitting accurately.
    (I believe, strictly speaking, that an attack will always bounce off it is below a certain damage threshold, so parts you always bounce off are reducing damage by a lot.)

Some tough monster parts you can break by hitting enough (or using bombs), and then you won't bounce off of them anymore though, and stuff.

No, monster part bounces are almost entirely based around Sharpness. An endgame weapon with yellow sharpness will bounce off anything that a starter weapon in yellow would.

This is why some weapons (sword SwitchAxe) and skills give the special effect of going through armour no matter what: it's a perk to do so, not a place you're discouraged from hitting.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i feel like weapon bouncing has been super controversial as to why, some says its dmg based, some say its sharpness based (which has a multiplier on dmg)

all i know is if you bounce, try not to aim for that part

J3qcnBP.png
    Damn, I wish I could preload MH4G. Really want to get that unlocked as soon as possible before I leave on my trip.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Apparently its already out in Europe E Shop, lots of NA are hoping for a midnight EST eshop release (5 hours from now)

J3qcnBP.png
    I've been messing around a bit with various weapons to see how I like 'em.

Charge blade seems really cool, actually. I like the combo of (relatively) agile and mobile with the sword/shield and then full on wrecking shit mode with the axe.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Charge blade seems really cool, actually. I like the combo of (relatively) agile and mobile with the sword/shield and then full on wrecking shit mode with the axe.

There's a whole nother secret level of expertise with charge blade where during certain animations you can automatically block with your shield, it's crazy.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I should really replace my cracked 3DS. I haven't played the last MH since I broke it, and now a new one is coming out?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

There's a whole nother secret level of expertise with charge blade where during certain animations you can automatically block with your shield, it's crazy.

And in Generations, you can get Guard Points in different moves depending on style. Which is no doubt going to confuse me, but is gonna be fun as hell to play with.

There is so much hidden/secret stuff in Monster Hunter. Enough that I kinda wish it was surfaced a little better.

Alright I got 10 Guildquests via walking around internet stuff.

Now how I do them? I accepted them from the cat man in town but I can't find anywhere to undertake them

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There is so much hidden/secret stuff in Monster Hunter. Enough that I kinda wish it was surfaced a little better.

Luckily the community is super rad and loves sharing information and putting out videos.

But yeah it would be ideal if the game communicated this stuff better.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i feel like weapon bouncing has been super controversial as to why, some says its dmg based, some say its sharpness based (which has a multiplier on dmg)

all i know is if you bounce, try not to aim for that part
    If the damage multiplier on the monster part times your sharpness multiplier is below...something (I kind of want to say 0.24?) then you bounce. Unless you or that attack specifically has bounce immunity, anyway.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Alright I got 10 Guildquests via walking around internet stuff.

Now how I do them? I accepted them from the cat man in town but I can't find anywhere to undertake them

There's a Guild Quests option in your start menu, if you go into that you can select the quests you want to register.

Once registered you can select them in the Gathering Hall or Elder Hall.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    Ugh I need to grind new weapons and armors. I need to get better at killing large monsters too.

Inquisitor wrote: »

Luckily the community is super rad and loves sharing information and putting out videos.

But yeah it would be ideal if the game communicated this stuff better.

Yeah. At least the hidden stuff is generally the super high-level play, which I'll likely never get to.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Finally back from work (Yay for half days) and able to play.

For anyone else playing who hasn't spoken to the housekeeper about DLC, it's worth doing so. There's a really nice starter pack of items in there and some nice Palicos.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    It's out in the good old US of A, folks. I'm downloading it now!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm playing this now!
    It's much like 4, but I gotta play around with these styles

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Palico gathering is the greatest quality of life change.

They have infinite stamina, and infinite picks, nets, and fishing rods.

<3

I'm enjoying myself but it's hard to shake this nagging doubt I have in the back of my mind that I feel like we're really starting to run up against the limitations of the 3DS and we will still get five more on 3DS or osmething.

liEt3nH.png
    I definitely fainted twice on the first big monster of the game
    Guess I'm rusty

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Neko (Means Cat) is back!

Breaking Great Maccao's head before I kill him is one of the hardest things I've done in Monster Hunter

liEt3nH.png
    Holding A to gather continuously is such a ridiculously simple quality of life change that is super super nice.

I'm still doing 4 Ultimate. Any tips for fighting big monsters? How do I get on their backs? I tried jumping and hitting the attack button but that does nothing except him them.

you need to hit them with an aerial attack enough times to knock them over, at which point you will mount them

liEt3nH.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Why do I have to work today?? :( Want to hunt monsters!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    you need to hit them with an aerial attack enough times to knock them over, at which point you will mount them

Also the attacks have to hit a mountable part, generally the back. Hits to the wings or tail won't get you mounted. You'll know you're doing it right if you see a vertical slash effect when the hit connects.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Welp, broke down and bought this while I still get the Prime discount

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I've spent 2/3rds of my playtime thus far in prowler mode

I don't

I don't know if I can go back

I still can't reliably break any part of a monster

I was gonna try running sword and shield mostly for those sweet new coatings, but I think I'm in love with aerial Switch Axe. That took me by surprise, but it's mount city with that sucker.