As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thinking about Trucking and Long Hauling as a Career

2»

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Btw...

This is me on 8/14.
    ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F64%2F28%2F171e62264f0dbf7ff54cb61c7bad%2Ffury-pk-13-df-00196.jpg

This is me today, 8/22.
    mad+max+fury+road.jpg

I've been there, too. Above everything else, drive safe. Two products I recommend above all, when you get enough in the bank to afford them:

Truck specific GPS - I had a Rand McNally TND 730, and it was an absolute lifesaver. I've heard the Cobra truck GPS isn't bad, either. It makes routing a whole lot easier, as well as finding fuel/rest stops. Also, if you go into NYC (Protip: NEVER go to NYC or Long Island if you can avoid it), you can get into trouble for driving with a non-truck specific GPS, due to all the low clearances. Just remember that even the truck GPS isn't perfect...I once had mine try to route me under a 10' bridge in Syracuse, and my trainer's once tried to route us down a boat ramp, into the Ohio river.

4" memory foam mattress topper - I got one from Walmart for about $100 the day I was assigned a truck, and it was one of the best things I ever got for it. If you drive teams, it is an absolute Godsend, because, let's face it, those bunk mattresses suck.

Out of curiosity, are you on a specific board/region (Western 15 or something like that), and do you have a regular dispatcher? I'm not sure how Swift operates, but I imagine it's not too different from Werner.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Probable necrobump, but I don't care. Too happy right now.

I just passed my DOT drive test for Washington state today. So I am now licensed to drive an 80000 lbs, 70ft long death machine on USA roads.

The attrition in my class was real.
    10 students on day 1. 2 out on medical reasons on day 2. 1 more failed on day 4, straight line backing. 1 more on the weekend just quit due to nerves.

6 students in week 2. 1 failed on pretrip inspection, 1 failed on offtack and 90* backing tests. Those 2 held back for a week.

4 students in week 3. All pass the street test by second testing.
    School is done, time for DOT official testing. All of us fail first time, so 100$ each down the drain. 1 student made performed a dangerous action, got a ticket and was 86'd for a year. The rest retest Monday (today).

I'm the only one to pass today as far as I know. I was shipped back to the hotel and got a car rental where I am at now.

Yeah, get to go home and make it rain those trucker dollars.

One of the guys in my class stopped his rig halfway across the railroad tracks about two blocks out the DMV driveway. Another stalled out at a stoplight and couldn't get it started again; every time she tried to get rolling, cab would lurch and the engine would die. Turns out she had left the shifter in high range.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Truck specific GPS - I had a Rand McNally TND 730, and it was an absolute lifesaver. I've heard the Cobra truck GPS isn't bad, either. It makes routing a whole lot easier, as well as finding fuel/rest stops. Also, if you go into NYC (Protip: NEVER go to NYC or Long Island if you can avoid it), you can get into trouble for driving with a non-truck specific GPS, due to all the low clearances. Just remember that even the truck GPS isn't perfect...I once had mine try to route me under a 10' bridge in Syracuse, and my trainer's once tried to route us down a boat ramp, into the Ohio river./quote]

Onondaga Lake Parkway?

Though there being truck specific GPS makes total sense and they having missed that bridge explains partly why it claims so many.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Truck specific GPS - I had a Rand McNally TND 730, and it was an absolute lifesaver. I've heard the Cobra truck GPS isn't bad, either. It makes routing a whole lot easier, as well as finding fuel/rest stops. Also, if you go into NYC (Protip: NEVER go to NYC or Long Island if you can avoid it), you can get into trouble for driving with a non-truck specific GPS, due to all the low clearances. Just remember that even the truck GPS isn't perfect...I once had mine try to route me under a 10' bridge in Syracuse, and my trainer's once tried to route us down a boat ramp, into the Ohio river.

Onondaga Lake Parkway?

Though there being truck specific GPS makes total sense and they having missed that bridge explains partly why it claims so many.

I think it was actually somewhere near Gouverneur, NY...Syracuse was just the last major town we went through. Ended up taking the wrong exit out a miserable roundabout setup and going through an area best described as "upstate".

- John Stuart Mill
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    https://youtu.be/AqYgBQpB86E
    this one is in massachusetts

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/AqYgBQpB86E
    this one is in massachusetts

That reminds me of this site 11foot8.com, which has videos of all the incidents of trucks crashing into the bottom part of this bridge. 95 crashes since April 2008!

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I HAVE ARRIVED AT PAXHALLA!

WITNESS ME!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    3aycf2r91qsr.jpg

war.jpg 107.5K