As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Christie Scandals: Aides Convicted, Christie Totally Not Involved

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maybe too soon to speculate on this, but Christie was on the short list for top 2016 R candidates right? Wonder if this will have any negative impact on his chances, or if people will still recall this by then.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm simply amazed he's still backing the traffic study sham. I mean there was no evidence of the traffic study, not even a faked one after the fact. Why claim it was still a traffic sudy when there is zero evidence they even collected data?

He was studying the effects of fucking with traffic on his political rivals' willingness to kiss his ass.

If I had to guess, I would say Christie probably gave his associates implicit orders to pull shit like this while not letting him know the particulars. Mostly just because that's the smartest way to go about it. All the benefits of directly ordering blatant abuses of power with much less legal or political culpability. Just means you need to have underlings willing to take the fall for you, which... well, we'll see how that goes.

That's the real danger for him now. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he had that final meeting with his chief of staff, if he even had one.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Christie was never realistic for a presidential run in 2016

he's not conservative enough for the primary and he's too conservative for the general

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Maybe too soon to speculate on this, but Christie was on the short list for top 2016 R candidates right? Wonder if this will have any negative impact on his chances, or if people will still recall this by then.

This will most certainly tank any chance of 2016.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I'm simply amazed he's still backing the traffic study sham. I mean there was no evidence of the traffic study, not even a faked one after the fact. Why claim it was still a traffic sudy when there is zero evidence they even collected data?

He was studying the effects of fucking with traffic on his political rivals' willingness to kiss his ass.

If I had to guess, I would say Christie probably gave his associates implicit orders to pull shit like this while not letting him know the particulars. Mostly just because that's the smartest way to go about it. All the benefits of directly ordering blatant abuses of power with much less legal or political culpability. Just means you need to have underlings willing to take the fall for you, which... well, we'll see how that goes.

That's the real danger for him now. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he had that final meeting with his chief of staff, if he even had one.

But, to quote Hannibal Buress, if you were a fly you wouldn't be able to understand English. So you really wish you were a guy those dudes trusted to be around when they're discussing important shit.

Except in this case, that's not true either...

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So the committee meeting featuring Wildstein is starting. It's here: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bridge-hearing-watch-live

Currently his lawyer is claiming the subpoena is invalid because it totally isn't the committee chairman's handwriting, you guys!

Funny, they usually don't go straight to the table pounding.

Well, they can't pound the facts or the law, so the podium it is then.

But you make a token effort for the two first, customarily.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Wasn't it on the George Washington Bridge? And no I'm not changing the title into a fat joke Red, that is beneath us. I will also not change it to "Portly authority Issues"

I was thinking the same thing, that making fat jokes about Christie is low hanging fruit/distracting from his real problems, but I cracked up at "Portly authority Issues".

sig.gif
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Yeah, watching him take the fifth on the time of day in the live stream I think this is going to hang around his neck like a penis photo. This isn't a racially impolitic comment or an insensitive joke. This is abuse of power on an epic scale, complete with a body count, and a growing list of completely unwitty one-liners about the "children of Buono voters" and Captain America.

Even if they can't stick him with anything criminally, the scale of the scandal and his complete unwillingness to offer answers is just too easy to use against him in the future.

Hevach on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

he's not conservative enough for the primary and he's too conservative for the general

He was realistic because the Tea Party is going out of fashion; albeit slowly.

This might just bring them back.

I'll be honest I was going to make that joke earlier, but red gave me a better opportunity while trying to maintain moral outrage!

Yes I work for Chris Christie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    According to BuzzFeed’s Dorsey Shaw, here’s the amount of time each outlet spent on covering Christie’s bridge controversy before Christie’s press conference:

1. MSNBC — 273 minutes

2. CNN — 272 minutes

3. Fox News — 38 minutes

4. Al Jazeera America — 30 minutes

And Wildstein is doing the obvious thing and pleading the fifth to cover his ass.

edited January 2014

I think he was probably their best hope. Well...unless Hillary decides to run again and fuck it all up for the democrats, then any republican has a chance.

Christie would have had a very hard time getting out the primaries, but I think he could have done it. But now, his primary opponents are going to make damn sure there is a constant drone about him being a bully through the entire process. He can still make it, but it's going to be that much harder now.

Dark_Side on
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Having underlings throw themselves under the bus is a lot harder once there is a body.

And a missing kid.

And he's giving the weasel 'I know nothing about the other stuff you're going to find, either'.

He's fucked.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Yeah, watching him take the fifth on the time of day in the live stream I think this is going to hang around his neck like a penis photo. This isn't a racially impolitic comment or an insensitive joke. This is abuse of power on an epic scale, complete with a body count, and a growing list of completely unwitty one-liners about the "children of Buono voters" and Captain America.

Even if they can't stick him with anything criminally, the scale of the scandal and his complete unwillingness to offer answers is just too easy to use against him in the future.

So you're saying for the R primaries this is a net positive?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Honestly Al Jazeera I know you want to pretend your above everything or whatever, but this is a major story you should be covering. At least covering more than god damn fox news!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2014
    Rush was comparing this whole thing to the IRS harrassment deal, which was pretty thoroughly disproven to have actually occurred. He did this thing where somehow Obama is a vindictive thug and yet at other times the right loves to portray him as a naive boy in over his head.

He was also decrying Democrats for not stepping up for Christie, showing a lack of character even though Christie has worked with them in the past blah blah blah...

I hope all the conservative radio I listen to doesn't cause an aneurysm. Not that I listen to a ton of it but the amount is more than zero.

Dynagrip on
    Dyna STAHP!! You're going to get brain problems so bad you'll make Rick Perry seem intelligent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Rush was comparing this whole thing to the IRS harrassment deal, which was pretty thoroughly disproven to have actually occurred. He did this thing where somehow Obama is a vindictive thug and yet at other times the right loves to portray him as a naive boy in over his head.

He was also decrying Democrats for not stepping up for Christie, showing a lack of character even though Christie has worked with them in the past blah blah blah...

I hope all the conservative radio I listen to doesn't cause an aneurysm. Not that I listen to a ton of it but the amount is more than zero.

I'm kind of surprised that's Rush's angle on this. All the other lesser known tea party guys on the radio have hated Christie for a long time, they're having a field day with it.

edited January 2014

So you're saying for the R primaries this is a net positive?

It will at least be amusing to watch.

He could go full Herman Cain after this. Show up to the debates and be like the Taxes are Too Damn High Guy, every question on every topic, "I'm going to answer this as I have the previous questions, to assert my right of silence under the Federal and New Jersey Constitutions."

Edit: To be fair, since I've made the 5th amendment joke twice, yes, I know that's not Christie in the stream, but after he clammed up today I suspect the same performance from him.

Hevach on
    zagdrob wrote: »

Having underlings throw themselves under the bus is a lot harder once there is a body.

And a missing kid.

And he's giving the weasel 'I know nothing about the other stuff you're going to find, either'.

He's fucked.

Wait, body? Missing kid?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Was this from Rush or Christie? Either way Dems defending Christie hurts him more not less to the GOP base.

And a missing kid.

He's fucked.

Wait, body? Missing kid?

Several ambulances were delayed in the mess, one person either waiting for an ambulance or on an ambulance waiting to reach a hospital died.

There was a missing child who was found, but the police said his recovery was delayed by the bridge closure.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

And a missing kid.

He's fucked.

Wait, body? Missing kid?

The bridge traffic jam interfered with multiple emergency response teams, one responding to a 91 year old who died of cardiac arrest and possibly could have been saved if the EMS had arrived at the speed with which they would have without the traffic jam, another a search for a missing four year old girl. Haven't heard if she was found at some point.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wasn't it on the George Washington Bridge? And no I'm not changing the title into a fat joke Red, that is beneath us. I will also not change it to "Portly authority Issues"
    I think he meant GWB makes you think of someone else.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    PantsB wrote: »

Especially next to the word scandal!

Was this from Rush or Christie? Either way Dems defending Christie hurts him more not less to the GOP base.

In fact, I'm surprised they aren't doing this for every Republican ever.

PantsB wrote: »

That's what I thought of when I saw GWB. :)

And a missing kid.

He's fucked.

Wait, body? Missing kid?

The bridge traffic jam interfered with multiple emergency response teams, one responding to a 91 year old who died of cardiac arrest and possibly could have been saved if the EMS had arrived at the speed with which they would have without the traffic jam, another a search for a missing four year old girl. Haven't heard if she was found at some point.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/fallout-continues-christie-scandal

She was, one of the documents being covered in the committee stream is about her, actually. One of the Christie aids, whose name was redacted, was pleased because she was probably "the child of a Buono voter."

And a missing kid.

He's fucked.

Wait, body? Missing kid?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/fallout-continues-christie-scandal

She was, one of the documents being covered in the committee stream is about her, actually. One of the Christie aids, whose name was redacted, was pleased because she was probably "the child of a Buono voter."

Holy shit if that's true, that's just Team Evil. Saying something like that about a missing kid? You're done.

For the record, I thought the comment about 'children of Buono voters' was about kids being late to school / stuck in traffic in their school buses - not the missing kid.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Silver's five scandal questions don't bode well for Christie.
    1. Can the potential scandal be described with one sentence, but not easily refuted with one sentence?

This is pretty obvious. The scandal is Christie fucked with people's lives for political revenge. It really doesn't get simpler than that. Meanwhile, the man's dodging speaks for how difficult the refutation is.
    2. Does the scandal cut against a core element of the candidate’s brand?

This one's a bit more complicated. Christie is well known as an asshole, but he's managed to frame himself as The People's Asshole. This shows that he'll fuck over anyone who displeases him, regardless of whom it is, undermining that brand.
    3. Does the scandal reinforce a core negative perception about the candidate?

Christie has been known as an asshole and bully through his career. This just cements it.
    4. Can the scandal be employed readily by the opposition without their looking hypocritical, risking retribution or giving life to a damaging counter-claim?
    Considering that the appointed official at the center of this is doing a class on how to plead the Fifth before the NJ Legislature, this is an easy yes.
    5. Is the potential scandal occurring amid an otherwise slow news cycle?

With half the US literally frozen, this is like catnip to the media.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    The child of a buono voter was about kids stuck in traffic, not the missing girl.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    My God. Can anyone actually imagine this guy as President?

Nixon 2.0

Trace wrote: »

Nixon 2.0

Nah, Nixon actually did stuff that offered major benefits / upsides for the risk.

Christie fucked with a lot of people indiscriminately just to be an asshole. It's not like he defunded the mayor's pet project or anything, he fucked up traffic in a place where people take traffic REALLY seriously.

Dubya 2.0

The child of a buono voter was about kids stuck in traffic, not the missing girl.

True, but showing callous carelessness about the fates of the children they were fucking with just because they were the children of Buono voters kind of makes it seem worse, regardless of whether they directly referenced the fact that somebody was missing.

It'd be like sending a message to somebody else after torching a building about how you didn't care about all the black people who attend that church regularly because they're Democrats and don't vote for you, and then when it turns out somebody was actually inside the building when you torched it, your uncaring attitude seems a whole lot harsher in hindsight.

Oh its a shit awful statement. I'm just saying it wasn't specifically about the missing girl and in fact referenced kids on school buses.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Nixon 2.0

Nah, Nixon actually did stuff that offered major benefits / upsides for the risk.

Christie fucked with a lot of people indiscriminately just to be an asshole. It's not like he defunded the mayor's pet project or anything, he fucked up traffic in a place where people take traffic REALLY seriously.

Yeah, he did something dangerous and terrible just because he's a huge bully. Nixon was trying to cover up his involvement in stealing from/spying on the Democrats. Both the initial action and the coverup had clear goals in mind other than being a dick.

Dubya 2.0

It's Nixon's vindictiveness with Bush's pettiness and McCain's media relations. Kind of terrifying.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised that's Rush's angle on this. All the other lesser known tea party guys on the radio have hated Christie for a long time, they're having a field day with it.

Limbaugh says whatever he thinks will troll the most people.

With Love and Courage
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Also, Chris Christie will not in any way be punished. I guarantee it.

With Love and Courage