As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So I'm getting into Malifaux, and have a starter on order. I kind of want to give the new GW Blood effect paint a try, since the dudes I'm painting are violent little demons. Any advice for using it?

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    No advice but id love to see clear pictures of the minis assembled. I almost ordered the lady justice set a while back but the huge scale differences between even the boxed models put me right off.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Sure.

my brother actually showed me one of the plastic Hired Swords (the one kneeling holding the sword over her back). It fit in well with his Infinity (he's using it as an O-Yoroi pilot). Slightly big (they are 32mm exaggerated, Infinity is 25mm realistically proportioned), but not too noticeable.

What scale issues did you see? I just had a look at that set and didnt see anything odd. Or do you mean the plastics to the metals?

• Options
    The guys with coffins were the big hang up. There was 2 regular sized and one huge.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Woozl: How long did it take Warmill to ship your order? I put in an order two weeks ago and aside from the payment going through I haven't heard a peep from them.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So I'm getting into Malifaux, and have a starter on order. I kind of want to give the new GW Blood effect paint a try, since the dudes I'm painting are violent little demons. Any advice for using it?

Put it on the miniatures. That's it. You don't need to water it down or anything.
    Basically I wiped a little off the brush and applied it how I would regular paint and it came out looking like older, dried/stained blood.
    Gooping it on makes it look fresh and wet.
    qbnt700zx5h1.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    @Woozl: How long did it take Warmill to ship your order? I put in an order two weeks ago and aside from the payment going through I haven't heard a peep from them.

I think it took about two weeks, maybe a little less. It definitely did not take very long. Sorry I know that isn't reassuring.

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    I have a real problem with blood for the blood god paint and thats that i try and find an excuse to put it on everything, it jst looks so damn good.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    I actually saw some cool guides on using Blood for the Blood God (I have to admit, that's a perfect paint name if there ever was one).

One is getting a load on a brush, then giving a quick blow against it in the direction of the model to get an impact splatter. Another is dipping a tooth brush in it and running your thumb across the bristles to create a spraying mist of blood. I can already see other ways to create effects too.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this paint, I think.

• Options
    Is it just like tamiya clear red?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    A bit goopier I think. With a touch more yellow too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I would have gone for Tamiya Clear Red instead, but getting Tamiya paints around here is difficult to say the least.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I applied the wash coat to all of my sternguard yesterday

put a second layer of averland sunset on 1 this morning

• Options
    Today I mostly converted Krom into Ragnar because why not?

1hk1q95rjxfz.jpg

Needs a bit of greenstuff work on the hair but I think this is also my next paint project too.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Can you link what he normally looks like so I can tell how awe-struck I should be by your work?

• Options
    If the lighting was better I'd take a photo myself; he's magnetised to turn back.
    That said, here's a desaturated version of the painted model stolen from GW:
    500kazuetj4k.jpg

It was done only using parts from the Sanctus Reach: Stormclaw box mostly to see if it could be.

• Options
    LordManHammerLordManHammer Registered User new member
    Meet da Boyz from GAF (Grüne Armee Fraktion) - my coming BB team:

DSC03544_zps7bca4853.jpg

DSC03546_zpsdfcf350a.jpg

DSC03578_zpsa7fadbd1.jpg

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    -Loki- wrote: »

Other people's experiences may differ, but I've found it looks best if it doesn't have a dullcote on top of it. So if you gloss and dullcote/matte your mini's, put it on after the matte.
    J wrote: »
    The guys with coffins were the big hang up. There was 2 regular sized and one huge.

Of the scale issues Malifaux had on their plastics ( there were a few), the Death Marshall was the one that did not get fixed. According to Wyrd, it is intentional. For what that is worth. Honestly, seeing them together it does not bother me, but YMMV.

I plan on taking a bunch of mini pics this weekend, so I'll try to get pics of all my assembled crews (I have 4 of the start crews assembled, including Lady J, McMourning, Marcus, and Viktoria's.)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    finally got time to set up my compressor and airbrush, but no time to play with it now ;-;

Goin out of state for the weekend, so I cant play with it till Monday ;-;

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Astronomi-con Toronto is tomorrow! Good thing I took today off work to get my army done...

Some quick pictures of the new units I finished up today:

cE3VMsO.png?1

FeLeAxe.png?1

JER6aAh.png?2

All that's left are my two new HQ models, which are half done, and I'm ready for tomorrow.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    New characters painted! Still not the best pictures, but better than nothing for now.

fsi23H1.jpg

dnst1gE.jpg?16qV2ahP.jpg

The 6th/7th ed revamp of my Salamanders is complete for now. Next is seeing how it does at Astro this weekend.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Fiday done.

632973_sm-.JPG

632974_sm-.JPG

This one gave me particular problems. For one, the spider veins on the legs. I just can't paint them. They're wonky. Second was the hair. I really wanted to practice my Symbiont Armour technique on something like this, and I think the orange came out really nicely. But It also came out too bright for this model. I decided to keep it, as a model to stand with my Hawwa Snipers bright pink hair.

Also because I have so many models to paint I didn't want to get hung up on some small details, especially on a model that will spend its life as a token 90% of the time, and when it finally hits the table it'll go down in flames.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Finished up the last 12 guardsmen tonight. I still need to finish the knight which is mostly done, Pask's Russ, and a chimera. Then I need to buy another chimera and 2 wyverns to top of 1500pts. And I need them all painted by August 25th. So here's were I'm at:

IMG_20140726_224427.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    there is some awesome happening in this thread and i have to say it's been a big part of my push to get these sternguard painted in such a short time period

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Was too busy winning a Netrunner tournament yesterday to photograph this, apparently ... (Only partially true - I'm also just lazy sometimes)

Phoenix!
    Uigctyz.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Seriously top notch

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

There's so much awesome stuff on this page and I'm over here, falling behind schedule on my whole Goddamn army.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

There's so much awesome stuff on this page and I'm over here, falling behind schedule on my whole Goddamn army.

I am aware.

Also I think I underestimated how long it takes to apply decals to 45 guardsmen. (That's at least 90, folks.)

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

Well, I mean, it basically took me two months to paint two heavy warjacks, so I'm not exactly flying through this stuff. :p
    (Of course I say that and I half-finished painting Eiryss yesterday ... but solos don't count)

• Options
    I finally got around to taking pictures of the Warmachine models I finished up earlier this year.

MoW Shock Troopers:
    kQQKzpK.jpg

Widowmakers:
    1z598vp.jpg
    aCJ7rDf.jpg

Wardog:
    GEVlmdr.jpg
    c1lFa0T.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I really like those widowmakers, @UreshiiAkuma‌ !

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hey painting thread, looking for miniature suggestions.
    Some buddies are getting together to play Shadowrun, I put together a human character using two pistols and wearing a long coat. I'm looking for a miniature that would represent that without too much modification.

Currently, I'm thinking about going with pCaine from Warmachine. Would need to do some work to remove the pipes from the back and the arm cables to clean it up a bit though.
    Other thought was Ryan from the B13, wouldn't have to modify warcaster armor that way, and changing M to F on the character sheet is easy enough. She'd look more inline with the character without the warcaster armor as well.

Looking for any other suggestions. It's Shadowrun so it's pretty open to whatever, I'm just most familiar with MarMaHordes so that's where I looked first.

• Options
    And the most recent model I painted, Viktoria.

070Uqp3.jpg

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Some buddies are getting together to play Shadowrun, I put together a human character using two pistols and wearing a long coat. I'm looking for a miniature that would represent that without too much modification.

Currently, I'm thinking about going with pCaine from Warmachine. Would need to do some work to remove the pipes from the back and the arm cables to clean it up a bit though.
    Other thought was Ryan from the B13, wouldn't have to modify warcaster armor that way, and changing M to F on the character sheet is easy enough. She'd look more inline with the character without the warcaster armor as well.

Looking for any other suggestions. It's Shadowrun so it's pretty open to whatever, I'm just most familiar with MarMaHordes so that's where I looked first.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Superhero/latest/50217

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/59032/latest/59032

Might be a bit too old-timey.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    see317 wrote: »

you could look into Master Holt:
    Aiyana_and_Holt.jpg
    you could also probably mod a pistol into this guy's free-hand pretty easily: (It's Vokker Dargu from Sedition Wars)
    swr012_1_2.jpg

@UreshiiAkuma‌ That model is pretty great. What scale is it and where'd you get it?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    And the most recent model I painted, Viktoria.

070Uqp3.jpg

i didn't know they made a model of mandy morbid

• Options

@UreshiiAkuma‌ That model is pretty great. What scale is it and where'd you get it?

@acidlacedpenguin‌ The model is from the game Malifaux 2nd Edition, by Wyrd. They've been switching over their line from metal to plastic for 2E, and in my mind the plastics are some of the best looking I've worked with. I only recently discovered them, and immediately fell in love.

Scale is 32mm heroic, I believe.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Anyone got advice on applying Matt Varnish by brush? I just had a go with some, straight from the tin, and it faded the hell out of the patch I tested on I guess a little fading is to be expected, but this came out practically white. Maybe if I dilute it down by half, and add a drop of black?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Anyone got advice on applying Matt Varnish by brush? I just had a go with some, straight from the tin, and it faded the hell out of the patch I tested on I guess a little fading is to be expected, but this came out practically white. Maybe if I dilute it down by half, and add a drop of black?

I've used both Testor's Dullcote and Vallejo's brush on matte varnishes. With the dullcote, it was fine without any dillution. However, due to toxic fumes and the potential to strip any spots I missed with the initial gloss coat, I picked up the Vallejo. I've found I need to dillute it with some water, otherwise it will cloud a little bit.

• Options
    I've also used Vallejo, and indeed you need to thin it a fair bit. 50/50 at least. My thing was always that by the time you got through a large chunk of the model, the stuff you had mixed was drying on the palette, and that would come out much more faded and milky when it dried compared to the stuff you applied when you started. I've since moved to applying it by airbrush, so I can't really tell you how to 'do it best by brush' because I honestly never got that far myself ... :/

This discussion has been closed.