As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WIZARD PEOPLE, DEAR [Mini-PHALLA] - MAFIA VICTORY

1111213141517»

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I was really, really glad that Egos wasn't mafia. I decided not to talk to anyone on the first day, figuring that I was likely to find a good guy who I knew I could trust. Of course, I found mafia, so I kept my trap shut that day too.

When I found mafia that night, I decided that keeping quiet was no longer worth the risk, looked over the vote records and contacted Egos. The only two times I found mafia this whole game were the two times I was actually really hoping to find a villager.

This was a fun game, and I'm incredibly glad I've been introduced to the source material. I also finally have someone who I can grudge forever, so that's a bonus too. :)

that's a risky but not terrible move, especially in a small game. You did a good job as village seer.

I mean, one of the whole meme's of 2012 was the SE++ facebook group who would play games and always be on opposite sides and always end up saying too much on facebook chat and exploding

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    spoit was right though, although with no vig there was no need to do it because the mafia would never have killed him and the vote would have been wasted.

he could have been a useful asset if certain events hadn't transpired... considering there was enough of a network (but i suspect that was largely because the mafia was hunting specials amongst those not voted by those in the network and stated to just be villagers by buddha :| )

I was really, really glad that Egos wasn't mafia. I decided not to talk to anyone on the first day, figuring that I was likely to find a good guy who I knew I could trust. Of course, I found mafia, so I kept my trap shut that day too.

When I found mafia that night, I decided that keeping quiet was no longer worth the risk, looked over the vote records and contacted Egos. The only two times I found mafia this whole game were the two times I was actually really hoping to find a villager.

This was a fun game, and I'm incredibly glad I've been introduced to the source material. I also finally have someone who I can grudge forever, so that's a bonus too. :)

that's a risky but not terrible move, especially in a small game. You did a good job as village seer.

Considering I didn't read myself as village in particular. Was a tad curious how UGM read me as such, seems a bit "I read your aura". The only thing I saw was that I was on the same wagon as jdark (a two man wagon).

I have to say when I'm mafia and stuff like this or rend deals work out happen, I get insanely frustrated :rotate:

(so the buddha thing might be a bit of karmic justice)

• MillMill Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm merely suggesting that people shouldn't talk about an ongoing game; especially, with someone else that is playing that very game. This prevents telling people info that ends up fucking their side over.

Edit: By this I mean outside the game. Inside the game, people should be damn careful about what they reveal. AKA if the person hasn't been seered, don't tell them who has been seered, keep them at arms length on who has been confirmed.

Mill on
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

someone who's actually good at phalla said you did a good thing, stay cool, breathe
    Thanks!

In general, is there a better way of handling the early game as a seer? I've actually been meaning to ask that for ages, just in case I ever got a seer role, and then the day I was about to get around to asking I got my role pm...

undergroundmonorail on
    Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

Considering I didn't read myself as village in particular. Was a tad curious how UGM read me as such, seems a bit "I read your aura". The only thing I saw was that I was on the same wagon as jdark (a two man wagon).

I have to say when I'm mafia and stuff like this or rend deals work out happen, I get insanely frustrated :rotate:

(so the buddha thing might be a bit of karmic justice)

To be entirely honest, that was mostly it. I'm awful at reading people, and from my perspective your vote alongside jdark made you feel like a villager while everyone else felt like "not-necessarily-mafia", if that makes any sense.

You had done a good thing, while everyone else had only not done bad things.

Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
    um and I sometimes talk about mafia outside of the forums.

Usually we just glare at each other suspiciously while blatantly lying through the teeth.

The village network would probably have won the game if the leak hadn't sprung, although losing one of our guys to Inactivus hurt us badly.

Also @Buddha73 , I'm not as angry as I sound. I'm just using cursing to emphasize a point like a layman ;-)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    the only rule about outside communication (unless stipulated by the host like in Obi's games), is that you cannot trick someone into thinking you are someone else.
    No, anonymous communication, not just trying to pretend to be someone else, IIRC was against the rules (unless provided for by the host), pretty sure that was one of the mod rules

steam_sig.png

Usually we just glare at each other suspiciously while blatantly lying through the teeth.

The village network would probably have won the game if the leak hadn't sprung, although losing one of our guys to Inactivus hurt us badly.

Were you mafia in Skies of Palladia? I vaguely remember being an idiot and reading the Bravian proboards while sitting beside you, but having it end up not being a big deal for some reason.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I feel really bad about not replacing Mikey - he was legitimately down with the flu :(

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    I mean, one of the whole meme's of 2012 was the SE++ facebook group who would play games and always be on opposite sides and always end up saying too much on facebook chat and exploding

SOLAR!!!! ....and I forget the other guy

@Spoit , who was the other guy in Edcrab's game?

I want to say monkeyfeet

steam_sig.png

Were you mafia in Skies of Palladia? I vaguely remember being an idiot and reading the Bravian proboards while sitting beside you, but having it end up not being a big deal for some reason.

I was probably too busy reading the mafia proboards right in front of you.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I feel really bad about not replacing Mikey - he was legitimately down with the flu :(

Obviously sick birthday phalla is the best phalla. Someone start up a phalla for me.

steam_sig.png
    I keep reading that as "blood yell" instead of "bloody ell"

OHHH

fixd

discrider wrote: »

Obviously sick birthday phalla is the best phalla. Someone start up a phalla for me.

I told him this was the birthday party he deserved:

http://youtu.be/xbEhByk4Icg

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    3. I should have stated in the OP before sign ups that I did not plan on having extended weekends.

I don't think players should assume extended weekends unless the host explicitly states it beforehand.

Thanks for running the game!

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game Gizzy!

Sorry I played it like shit instead of withdrawing, I kept thinking I'd magically find a bunch of free time to sit down and get organized. Just ended up doing useless votes before I had to go to bed.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting this @Gizzy

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

I told him this was the birthday party he deserved:

http://youtu.be/xbEhByk4Icg

Nice

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I imagine either way she cries "Moar, moar, moar!"

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Man, I caught the Sir Fab on Mikey vote the day Mikey got inactivitus and it rang alarm bells, which I shared with the network.

Then I pushed Flarne instead of Sir Fab even though Sir Fab and Flarne were the two people I thought most likely mafia. I should have went with the 1 I felt most strongly about.

Damn it.

I mean, wouldn't have mattered, because I probably wouldn't have voted out Grunt the next day, but still.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    the only rule about outside communication (unless stipulated by the host like in Obi's games), is that you cannot trick someone into thinking you are someone else.
    No, anonymous communication, not just trying to pretend to be someone else, IIRC was against the rules (unless provided for by the host), pretty sure that was one of the mod rules
    That was part of the same rule. In any communication, you must present yourself as yourself. Medium is unimportant.

Egos... blowing up at buddha like that is kind of unfair. He trusted the wrong guy. That happens. Just like, sometimes, the seer gets lucky and reveals themselves to a villager.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    @Gizzy is da best because she let me be vig in my first game back.

True story: if this had been a 'choose your name' game, I was gonna let Gizzy choose mine just because.

Thanks for running this!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm merely suggesting that people shouldn't talk about an ongoing game; especially, with someone else that is playing that very game. This prevents telling people info that ends up fucking their side over.

Edit: By this I mean outside the game. Inside the game, people should be damn careful about what they reveal. AKA if the person hasn't been seered, don't tell them who has been seered, keep them at arms length on who has been confirmed.

that's fine if you personally do not want to do it, but unless a host specifically asks for no outside communication, there is no phalla rule about it. You can chat/talk/text anything you want to a person playing the game if you want to. If you screw things up for your side, it's no different than if you had via a pm.

I mean, if buddha had gotten into a conversation with GG about the seer targets via a pm, what would have been different? Just the medium with which he gave the information.

edited January 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Egos... blowing up at buddha like that is kind of unfair. He trusted the wrong guy. That happens. Just like, sometimes, the seer gets lucky and reveals themselves to a villager.

It was to emphasize(as stated) that you don't tell an unverified person who has been seered when there is a network in place . It's phalla 101.

Trusting the wrong person and telling the wrong person everything essentially are two different things.

UGM's move was risky but there was a reason behind it. I see no rationale for Buddha to do what he did. As in risk vs reward, there is no reward there .

Egos on
    jdarksun wrote: »

It was to emphasize(as stated) that you don't tell an unverified person who has been seered when there is a network in place . It's phalla 101.

Trusting the wrong person and telling the wrong person everything essentially are two different things.

UGM's move was risky but there was absolutely no reason for Buddha to do what he did. As in risk vs reward, there is no reward there .
    If GG had been Spoit, it would have won the game for the village. That's a pretty decent reward.

Just like if you had been my Mafia buddy instead of a villager, UGM would have been in bad shape.

edited January 2014
    There is a four man team with a guard on the side. Why leak that info unless things are dire? UGM potentially could have died on a fluke and had pertinent information.

I'm not saying what UGM was the smartest thing to do, but I just don't see any reason to leak seer information unless things are dire. The only scenario I could possibly see if is seers were unreliable but this was vanilla.

Egos on
    There is a four man team with a guard on the side. Why leak that info unless things are dire? UGM potentially could have died on a fluke and had pertinent information.
    When did UGM reveal to you? Turn 2? There was like a 11% chance of him getting randomly hit, versus a 20% chance you were mafia.

edited January 2014
    The thing is there, there is some rationale if you are paranoid. Why would you tell someone who was seered? Unless everything has gone to hell.

I suppose Buddha could been paranoid about me, but I don't see reason to mention anyone else.

edit: it was turn 3 ,after he had you and sly

Egos on
    The thing is there, there is some rationale if you are paranoid. Why would you tell someone who was seered? Unless everything has gone to hell

edit: it was turn 3 ,after he had you and sly
    Why would you tell someone that you're the seer? Same reason. I have a much easier time trusting someone I can see face-to-face versus someone I only know on the internets. Witness my trusting of TRV in several games where I shouldn't have.

The odds on Turn 3 are better, but there's still a 16% chance you're mafia vs. 12% chance that he's randomly hit.

We'll agree to disagree. As said I don't think what UGM was the best move and was risky, but I don't see a rationale for Buddha's actions given the circumstances.

• Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    I'm sorry folks for my stupidity, and my gullible trust. I try to not trust people when playing but sometimes my own friendly personality shines threw and I make mistakes. Obifett has pulled this same trick on me in serveral Phalla games last year. I trusted GG, tho he wasn't confirmed villager for the simple reason that when I needed help he was the first to help me in this game. Also I only had a conversation with GG three or four times on this Phalla IRL, and most of them where after the seer, and guard died. Schuss, and Assuran were the only other people left in the village network at that point and they don't talk alot. plus they died the next night so I was alone and the only person I trusted at that time was GG. I talked to everyone at that point and even thought ebum was mafia and almost drouble crossed him. So no matter if I had held my tongue when not on a computer and send him PM the outcome would not have changed. I got played and the Mafia won.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    At times like this I wish the eBroticon was still around.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227